Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lizzie just gave an answer way past my abilities. What I was referencing was that I had - based on old movies, books and the stories told from my older relatives growing up - the impression that more Americans went to church regularly / got married in a church / would have considered themselves Christians back in the '30s than do today. I believe I read recently that "not religious" is now how a majority of the population answers a religious affiliation question - the first time ever (but I don't remember where I read it, so I might be off on the details, but not the general idea).

The "religion butting into everyday life" you referenced in the '70s might have been, in part, as people moved away from religion they were no longer accepting how it had worked its way into things. For example, landlords where I grew up only stopped asking your religion on applications in the '70s as, until then, it was not something that (outwardly) people opposed. I'm not saying it was good, just noting that it was.

There were an awful lot of "twice-a-year churchgoers" in the Era -- they'd show up on Easter and Christmas, and that'd be enough -- but it was common for even such families to enroll their kids in Sunday School. My own family was like this -- my grandparents seldom had anything to do with church, but my mother went to Sunday School -- as did I, for six years. We considered ourselves Methodists, and were enrolled as such, but really didn't have a whole lot to do with church as an organized activity. Those ladies in the WSCS were too nosy anyway.

Brooklyn being the "borough of churches," and the Eagle being the specific voice of the old-line Protestant population, you see a lot of church coverage in the paper -- there's usually a page each Monday summarizing outstanding sermons of the weekend, but they're seldom the kind of hit-the-sawdust-trail stuff you see on the religious TV channels today. In virtually all cases the sermons deal less with theology or denominationally-specific doctrine than with how one ought to treat their neighbors and the less fortunate. The main exception is the weekly Christian Science article, which takes a whole page in the Saturday edition, and even that tends to focus on how one might apply Mrs. Eddy's theories on the nature of God to everyday life.

Well, he did abduct her, take her out to a gravel pit and try to have his way -- and when she declined, he stabbed her. If I'm on the jury it's "justifiable homicide."

I'm learning details as you type them. My guess early on was the guy deserved it - hence, the #MeToo reference. To be honest, what really caught my attention was the two guns she used - very Wild West or, more recently, very Tarantino.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No one was injured but a British seaplane was reported damaged by fire today as six German bombers shelled the Shetland Islands. British reports say the planes were driven off by anti-aircraft fire, and there was no damage to shipping.

In France, combined French and British air forces repelled a force of German reconnaissance planes, downing seven, with an eighth plane brought down by anti-aircraft fire.

A former aide to German Chancellor Adolf Hitler who is accused of masterminding the recent bomb attack in a Munich beer hall that narrowly escaped killing or injuring the Fuehrer claims that the bombing was in fact engineered by Gestapo chief Heinrich Himmler. Exiled former Nazi lieutenant Otto Strasser tells a French newspaper that he has proof that Himmler directed the bombing with the support of Deputy Fuehrer Rudolf Hess in an attempt to "unleash a hate offensive" against Great Britain, as well as provide a justification to take action against domestic adversaries, "notably the Black Front." Strasser fled Germany when his ties to the Black Front opposition group were exposed.

Meanwhile, two British secret-service agents captured by the Gestapo in Munich are accused of complicity in the beer hall bombing.

Plans for the proposed Brooklyn-Battery tunnel have been rushed to Washington, and Mayor LaGuardia is confident that construction will begin within three weeks once approval is received. The Mayor told a meeting of the Municipal Club at the Bossert Hotel that engineers worked thru the weekend to finalize the plans, and they were dispatched to the capital yesterday. The Mayor also told his audience that he loves to bring his children to Brooklyn, because the City looks better from here.

Plans for the $22,000,000 housing project planned for the Navy Yard district may more upward than outward. Examination of the proposal suggests that the buildings would far exceed in height the current six-story limit on buildings in that area, with officials suggesting that it would be more affordable and more practical to build taller "skyscraper" structures than to expand the footprint of the project outward. Mayor LaGuardia has issued a ban on any official discussion of the land requirements for the project in order to avoid churning up a bidding war with property owners.

Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen has plenty of questions for Abraham Frosch, after the accused bail-bond racketeer suddenly changed his plea to guilty. Amen believes Frosch knows a great deal about possible corruption in Brooklyn law enforcement, given his familiarity with and connections to the police department as brought out during his trial, and he intends to grill Frosch thoroughly in an effort to obtain the names of police officers who were complicit in his schemes. Frosch was whisked today from his Manhattan jail cell to Amen's Brooklyn office for a thorough interrogation. Amen denies reports in Manhattan papers that he had already spoken with Frosch during the trial, and that Frosch had implicated from fifty to seventy police officers in bail-bond racketeering.

German-American Bund leader Fritz Kuhn squirmed on the witness stand today in Manhattan General Sessions Court as his torrid love letters to Mrs. Florence Camp were read aloud by the prosecution to an attentive blue-ribbon jury. Filled with florid vows of eternal love to his "golden angel" and "precious diamond," the letters also documented that Kuhn maintained two addresses, had registered to vote and for jury duty using both of those addresses, and that he used several aliases, despite sworn testimony to the Dies Committee that he had never used any name other than his own.

Three WPA men demolishing a tenement at 533 Wythe Avenue were injured today when the floor collapsed from beneath them, dropping them into the building's cellar. The three were treated for a variety of injuries at Cumberland Hospital, and police, the WPA, and the Building Department are investigating the accident.

A 35-year-old Oxford Street man stopped for a friendly conversation with a passerby before hurling himself to his death today off the Brooklyn Bridge. Andrew Drummond jumped off the bridge moments after handing 35-year-old Stanley Gansheaves of 197 Gold Street a packet of papers, and telling him to take the documents to the police. Drummond's body was recovered early this afternoon at the foot of Pierrepont Street. Police at the Poplar Street station are reviewing the papers, which included a note to Drummond's son Edward, and to an unidentified man named "Harry."

Thanksgiving or "Franksgiving?" The two dates for the holiday this year have even the President's family confused, with about half the states celebrating Turkey Day tomorrow, and the other half next Thursday. President and Mrs. Roosevelt will celebrate tomorrow, in keeping with the Presidential proclamation advancing the holiday one week to provide a longer holiday shopping season, but the President's son James will be spending Thanksgiving in Massachusetts, which is one of the states sticking to the traditional last-Thursday-in-November date. Mr. and Mrs. Elliot Roosevelt, meanwhile, are in Texas -- where *both* dates are being observed -- and have chosen to serve their dinner tomorrow. In Virginia, another tradition-bound state, Mr and Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. will have their own dinner today, and will host a second dinner for guests at the University of Virginia next week.

The trial of the Long Island policeman accused in the assassination of Long Beach Mayor Louis F. Edwards will be delayed on a motion from the defendant's lawyer. Attorney Samuel J. Liebowitz, representing Patrolman Alvin Dooley, told the court at Dooley's arraignment that there are so many points to review before trial that a delay is warranted. The prosecution agreed, noting that a key witness, Mayor Edwards' bodyguard James Walsh, who was also shot in the attack last week, is still hospitalized and needs more time for recovery before he can testify. Dooley appeared in court yesterday to plead not guilty.

A 34-year-old Cortelyou Road man is hospitalized in critical condition after a violent encounter with a police detective following an attempted purse-snatching. Al Leckstrom is accused of stealing a purse containing only a few pennies from Miss Anna Thrower on MacDonald Street early this morning. Detective William "Buster" Cunningham, eating at a restaurant counter, heard the commotion in the street, and when Miss Thrower pointed out Leckstrom as the robber, Cunningham "sailed into the alleged thief." Leckstrom was taken to Kings County Hospital suffering from lacerations of the scalp and alcoholism, while Detective Cunningham was treated for possible internal injuries, lacerations, and a black eye. Leckstrom will face charges of felonious assault and grand larceny.

A 20-year-old Massapequa youth is charged with looting an Amityville high school, stealing typewriters which he then pawned to raise money for his Fordham College tuition. Harold Cooley, an Amityville High School graduate, is accused of robbing the school at least four times since 1936, and was tracked down by police after his picture was pointed out in the high school yearbook by the operator of the Brooklyn pawn shop where one of the stolen typewriters was found. In addition to typewriters, Cooley is accused of stealing a variety of other goods from the school, ranging from a sound motion picture projector to a saxophone.

Maestro Leopold Stokowski said he'd do it and he did -- when he appeared at Carnegie Hall last night, he put the strings in the back and the brasses in the front. Miles Kastendieck says he's not sure what impact this had on the music, but it sure made you notice Stokowski. His collar stayed fastened, too.

WONG'S GARDEN -- 2 Nevins Street, opposite Fox Theatre -- Thanksgiving Dinner 75 cents -- Chinese and American Food. (I prefer to wait until Christmas to have Chinese food, thanks.)

Tovarisch! Thanksgiving Dinner at the New Russian Art Restaurant -- 181 Second Avenue -- $1.25 and up.

Arthur Pollock says "Aries Is Rising" is a very bad play that opened at the Golden as if by accident.

In the City, the Times Square Paramount features Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in "The Cat And The Canary." On stage, it's Jan Savitt and his Orchestra and Hollywood singing star Tony Martin.

Long Island University will wrap up its football season at Ebbets Field on Thanksgiving Day, hoping for an upset win against Catholic U.

A cleanup of the boxing business in New York and Pennsylvania -- or a "whitewash" depending on your point of view -- will result from new rules governing the sport in the two states. Under the reciprocity agreement, managers banned in New York will also be banned in Pennsylvania, and vice versa. The move comes in the wake ofa sworn affadavit by heavyweight Harry Thomas that he was paid to throw fights against Max Schmeling in New York and Tony Galento in Philadelphia.

There are plenty of Sherlock Holmes Clubs around the world, but only in Brooklyn is there a Doctor Watson Club. Fans of the great detective's sidekick gather every week to listen to the Holmes radio adventures, and have invited actor Nigel Bruce, who portrays their hero on the air, to become honorary club president.

Homer pokes George in his swollen nose once too often and George kicks him forcefully out the door. I was hoping for a classic Bungle roundhouse, but this was good enough.

Leona is striking poses again:

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Nov_22__1939_.jpg

(It's even funnier if you read Leona's lines in the voice of Katharine Hepburn.)

And Dan Dunn makes the pinch on Dook, whose face mutates into its true insectoid form once he realizes the game is up.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Nov_22__1939_(1).jpg

"Story Book Copper?"

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
[W]hen Miss Thrower pointed out Leckstrom as the robber, Cunningham "sailed into the alleged thief." Leckstrom was taken to Kings County Hospital suffering from lacerations of the scalp and alcoholism

All I can imagine is the scene in North by Northwest when they pour Roger Thornhill full of bourbon against his will...

...A former aide to German Chancellor Adolf Hitler who is accused of masterminding the recent bomb attack in a Munich beer hall that narrowly escaped killing or injuring the Fuehrer claims that the bombing was in fact engineered by Gestapo chief Heinrich Himmler. Exiled former Nazi lieutenant Otto Strasser tells a French newspaper that he has proof that Himmler directed the bombing with the support of Deputy Fuehrer Rudolf Hess in an attempt to "unleash a hate offensive" against Great Britain, as well as provide a justification to take action against domestic adversaries, "notably the Black Front." Strasser fled Germany when his ties to the Black Front opposition group were exposed....

"Strasser fled Germany..." Hmm, so, after he made those accusations against Himmler, he didn't want to stick around and take his chances with the nazi's legal system. Smart man.

...Plans for the proposed Brooklyn-Battery tunnel have been rushed to Washington, and Mayor LaGuardia is confident that construction will begin within three weeks once approval is received. The Mayor told a meeting of the Municipal Club at the Bossert Hotel that engineers worked thru the weekend to finalize the plans, and they were dispatched to the capital yesterday. The Mayor also told his audience that he loves to bring his children to Brooklyn, because the City looks better from here....

Today, the environmental-impact studies and public-feedback period and, then, no matter what comes of those two efforts, the follow-up lawsuits (as several groups won't agree with the outcome) would hold this project up for four, five or more years. It's stunning to hear 3 weeks as a time period back then, when getting it started in 3 years would not be possible today.

...WONG'S GARDEN -- 2 Nevins Street, opposite Fox Theatre -- Thanksgiving Dinner 75 cents -- Chinese and American Food. (I prefer to wait until Christmas to have Chinese food, thanks.)...

I believe this is the lowest-price one we've seen yet, ~$14 in 2019 dollars

...Leona is striking poses again:

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Nov_22__1939_.jpg

Very much Hepburn from "Alice Adams."

Also, Leona is quite the word that rhymes with witch to Mrs. Worth.

And from today's Daily News, an update on our friend the Two Gun Blonde -- the sort of story for which Page Four exists.

Daily_News_Wed__Nov_22__193.jpg

As much as I want to Google her name and find out what happens to Corinne, I'm going to wait for Lizzie to report it as it happened in '39/'40's timeline.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
As much as I want to Google her name and find out what happens to Corinne, I'm going to wait for Lizzie to report it as it happened in '39/'40's timeline.

I tried and didn't find much except similar reporting to what we see here. Based on what she told the press immediately after the killing, I hope she got off with the lightest possible repercussions.

I suspect the lacerations on the scalp came from the rather vigorous application of a blackjack. Dan Dunn might not approve, but Dick Tracy would.

Let's see what Abraham Frosch looks like after "Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen...grill(s) Frosch thoroughly in an effort to obtain the names of police officers who were complicit in his schemes."

History says that a police "grilling" in 1939 was a bit rougher than one today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An assistant attorney general might not use a rubber hose, but I bet Sgt. Clancy down the hall would.

It still amazes me that this Frosch guy is such a big time operator, and he's only 24 years old. Now that's an ambitious kid, not one of your alligators and your jitterbugs and your goal-post stealers...

3fd5844d4bf97f4da6b19c03dfa66885.jpg

Just lookit them chubby baby cheeks...

An assistant attorney general might not use a rubber hose, but I bet Sgt. Clancy down the hall would.

It still amazes me that this Frosch guy is such a big time operator, and he's only 24 years old. Now that's an ambitious kid, not one of your alligators and your jitterbugs and your goal-post stealers...

3fd5844d4bf97f4da6b19c03dfa66885.jpg

Just lookit them chubby baby cheeks...

My guess, hardscrabbled upbringing as need breaks iron. With no cash from the parents, he had no time or money to play with goalposts and silly dances. I knew quite clearly what I had to do once I turned 18; it keeps one's mind very focused. Fortunately, I chose a job and college, not political corruptions, but we all have to make a living someway.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meet Lena Frosch, young Abe's proud mama.

0ac6a75a56f07205bb038a0ae307b4bf.jpg

She's got a pretty long record in the bail-bond racket herself, and it would appear that she also has dealings with some of the boys over in Brownsville. Evidently she lets her son handle the penny ante stuff -- the neighborhood bookies, the drugstore sharpsters, the petty operators -- to get him broken in for the day when he can take over the family business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner