Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_.jpg
I was thinking the other day about loose-end murder cases that we'd not heard about in a long time, and this one was at the head of the list. It got huge coverage for a week or so, and then nothing. And for those of you who watched "Boardwalk Empire," Nocky Johnson is the real-world inspiration for Nucky Thompson.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(1).jpg

We don't often look in on the News' society column, but it does tend to be a good bit livelier than what you find in the Eagle.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(2).jpg

How about the "Manhattan Killjoys?"

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(3).jpg

Hush, Terry, you're too young to troll.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(4).jpg

"An' remember that sappy DA and his wife, you know, that didn't know how to sail a boat? An' that fat gangster fella -- what was his name again?"

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(5).jpg
NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW we're getting somewhere!

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(6).jpg
Hmph. Nina's sitting over by the haystack, sneaking looks at her watch, and tapping her foot impatiently.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(7).jpg
See what happens when you go away for a while?

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(8).jpg
DEMAND TO SEE THE SCAR.

Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(9).jpg

"An illegal card game! RUN 'EM ALL IN, BOYS!"

...Senator Burton K. Wheeler (D-Montana), isolationist arch-foe of the Roosevelt Administration's foreign policy, declared today that he endorses the President's move to freeze Japanese assets. "You may say for me that I agree with him," stated the Senator, "for the first time."...

"You may say for me that I agree with him..."

"Y̵o̵u̵ ̵m̵a̵y̵ ̵s̵a̵y̵ ̵f̵o̵r̵ ̵m̵e̵ ̵t̵h̵a̵t̵ I agree with him..."

My eighth grade English teacher feels better now.

...The 54-year-old manager of a Brooklyn Heights hotel, missing since July 9th, can now be found at the Raymond Street Jail, where he is being held on a charge of grand larceny. Police last night arrested Lee N. Chalmers, manager of the Franklin Arms Hotel of 66 Orange Street, as he relaxed in a Greenwich Village restaurant, and charged him with embezzling $4500 in hotel bank deposits under his control. Chalmers, who was reported missing by his wife more than three weeks ago, had, according to police, been hiding out in the city the entire time. Chalmers was arraigned yesterday in Felony Court and is being held on $1000 bail pending a court appearance on August 1st....

Can he use part of the $4500 to pay the $1000 bail. :)

...A 27-year-old Long Island City man plunged into the oily waters of the East River, near a housing-project playground last night to rescue two boys who had gone beyond their depth and were being swept away by the current. Fred Peritiore of the Queensboro Housing Project didn't hesitate a moment when he spotted the youths flailing in the water, handing his nine-month-old baby to his wife and diving into the river after them. He managed to pull both boys up after they sank, and the three were swept nearly a hundred feet downstream before a Parks Department employee could throw them a rope. With his last bit of strength Peritiore grabbed the rope, pushed one of the boys into shallow water, and let the Parks Department worker pull him and the other boy to the river bank. Nine-year-old Nicholas Perise and 8-year-old Leo Chika, both of 41-04 10th Street, were given first aid at the scene and sent home....

Wonderful story.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(5).jpg
("Killgallen!" snorts Sally. "Wit' a kid, yet! I HOPE SHE DON' PUSH IT DOWNA STAIAHS! I ASK YA!" "Lookit t' time," mutters Joe.)...

Even with all the spacing, Evans can't hide the fact that he, basically, had no material for his column today.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(8).jpg
(Hey, how about let's blow off the rest of this story and see what John and Leona are up to in Brazil?)...

Are we really that confident that Leona went with him? She's probably ready for some Page Four fun for herself after, what, a year with that stiff? Maybe she went rafting with a brunette girlfriend.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(9).jpg
(Yeah, this is why Irwin will never get his own strip. And way to violate patient confidentiality there, Doc. Of course, everybody knows the names of all secret operatives at all times, but still...)

Example number eight billion of why big men should not wear boldly patterned (and ill-fitted) suits. Freddie just chuckles away as he gets out his blue serge suit (an insanely popular 1940s suit) for a travel day.

Last edited:
.. Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(1).jpg
We don't often look in on the News' society column, but it does tend to be a good bit livelier than what you find in the Eagle....

If she has acting ability, Mrs. Francis Taylor could try out for the role of Burma.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(2).jpg
How about the "Manhattan Killjoys?"...

Besides sucking the fun out of it, I think it would be harder to follow the way he suggests.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(3).jpg
Hush, Terry, you're too young to troll....

Good for Caniff, Raven was getting a bit too full of herself.

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(4).jpg
"An' remember that sappy DA and his wife, you know, that didn't know how to sail a boat? An' that fat gangster fella -- what was his name again?"...

We don't joke about Nick around here. (Sniff)

... Daily_News_Sat__Jul_26__1941_(8).jpg DEMAND TO SEE THE SCAR....

In its own way, this is a pretty explicit storyline that is usually elided in movies of the era. This is a step-by-step look at a gold-digger in action - Ed is not sugarcoating it at all.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You'll remember when she was involved with Pat back in Hong Kong, before Dude entered the picture, that she was going out nightclubbing, etc. with him. And it was none other than Hu Shee, posing as a secretary, who finally got her out of that football jersey and into nightclub-appropriate attire.

You'll remember when she was involved with Pat back in Hong Kong, before Dude entered the picture, that she was going out nightclubbing, etc. with him. And it was none other than Hu Shee, posing as a secretary, who finally got her out of that football jersey and into nightclub-appropriate attire.

Hu Shee better be coming back. We've lost Nick and maybe Kay. Those are tough hits, yet we soldier on. But I'm not sure I want to live in a world without Hu Shee.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hu Shee better be coming back. We've lost Nick and maybe Kay. Those are tough hits, yet we soldier on. But I'm not sure I want to live in a world without Hu Shee.
Combine today's event with the historical record of her climbing into Dude's room to sleep with him and we might see that Raven is a bit more of a romantic than she lets on.

Up until this UPS/FedEX special D I suspected a concealed torch a la Charlottee Bronte:
The heart has hidden treasures; in secret kept, in silence sealed.
Um hum. That's maven Raven; all lipstick, compact, evening attire.

And since we're in the literary neighborhood: Heathcliff was a ba***rd, but he dearly loved Cathy.
A man who can so hopelessly lose his heart to a woman can't be all that bad.
A love that transcended death.

Hu-Shee and Terry seem destined for each other, at least my read but dunno with all this
absence doesn't make the heart fondness wander, and Burma a bust for Terry....

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt yesterday summoned General Douglas A. MacArthur, former U. S. Army Chief of Staff, out of retirement and placed him in command of all US Far Eastern defenses. The appointment followed the President's order merging the Army and Navy of the Philippines into the U. S. Armed Forces, and his order freezing all Japanese assets in the United States and its territories, and prohibiting all transactions between U. S. citizens and companies and Japan with the exception of those specifically authorized by the Treasury Department. That order also called for a "sweeping national census" of all Japanese nationals now living in the US, and of property held in the United States by them.

In response to the President's series of orders, Tokio broadcast a warning today to the United States urging that it "reconsider its attitude" toward the French-Japanese "joint defense pact" toward Indo-China. The broadcast followed the Japanese Government's order freezing all American, British, and Canadian assets in Japan, and during that broadcast Nobumi Ito, president of the Japanese Board of Information, accused the United States of "failing to understand Japan's real intentions." Ito went on to argue that the actions taken yesterday by the American government "disturb the peace," and the responsibility for whatever follows will rest with the U. S. Government.

The Moscow radio today announced the destruction of the Eighth German Armored Division, after a fierce battle lasting three days and nights. It was estimated that between 6000 and 7000 Panzer troops and from 400 to 450 tanks had been eliminated from the field of action during this engagement.

German reports stated today that Russian troops trapped north of Smolensk are attempting to "break out of their encirclement" as Soviet reserve forces have launched a "fierce counterattack" east and northeast of that city. However, the Nazi reports further claim that all Soviet thrusts "have been repulsed with bloody losses."

Reliable sources indicate that Mayor LaGuarida will receive the endorsement of the Republican Party in the upcoming mayoral election, with party leaders controlling the city-wide organization moving firmly in that direction during discussions last night. Three of the five GOP county leaders, incuding Brooklyn Republican Chairman John R. Crews, have pledged their support for the Mayor's quest for a third term. The Mayor himself, in his radio speech announcing his candidacy for reelection, declared that he would not campaign for any party's nomination, but would accept nominations if offered. He has already received the endorsement of the City Fusion Party and the American Labor Party.

Contributions to the city-wide aluminum drive continue to pour into collection points, and at Borough Hall, Brooklyn Borough President John Cashmore yesterday received a small parcel with an interesting story behind it. Inside the package were twenty-four small aluminum bottles, along with a letter explaining that they had been used during Prohibition to smuggle French cognac into the United States.

Another contribution came from a 40-year-old Brownsville man, who was arrested for possession of a set of brass knuckles. Appearing before Magistrate Vincent J. Sweeney, Albert Leon, "a Negro," declared that the knuckles were actually aluminum, and that he was on his way to donate them to the metal drive "for a Flying Fortress" when he was intercepted by police. "That's a good story," declared the Magistrate. "You stick to it." Leon was ordered held on $1000 bail for a hearing on July 29th.

A Long Island sanitation official reported missing more than three months ago has been found -- in the Army. 43-year-old Milner Jarvis, for ten years sanitation commissioner of the town of Oceanside, and a veteran of the last war, sent a letter of resignation to town officials, announcing that he has enlisted in the armed forces.

Baseball great Grover Cleveland Alexander is in Bellevue Hospital with severe lacerations over his left eye, a skull fracture, and a possible brain hemorrhage, after a taxicab driver found him lying unconscious on a Manhattan sidewalk yesterday. A police blotter stated that the former National League pitcher was suffering from alcoholism, and authorities at Bellevue stated that he was "delirious" when brought in, but is now "a little better." This is the third time that Alexander, who holds the all-time record for National League pitchers with 373 wins, has been found unconscious in the street, following prior incidents in 1936 in Evansville, Indiana and in 1937 in Springfield, Illinois. The hospital chart listed Alexander's age as 50, but baseball records list him as age 54. He concluded a 20-year major league career with the Phillies in 1930, the team he had pitched to its only pennant in 1915. He also pitched over the course of his career with the Cubs and the Cardinals. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1938.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_.jpg

(Fur coats and bathing suits on the same page? How time flies.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(9).jpg

(Next time, it won't be a request.)

The Eagle Editorialist, noting the recent case of the embattled Boerum Hill goatherd, says that goats seldom get a fair shake. Maybe, he suggests, it has something to do with that old joke from the World War about "what smells worse, a goat or a Turkish soldier?" You know the one.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(1).jpg

(So all that was wrong with Camilli is "low blood pressure?" Why do I think they're not giving us the whole story? Anyway, pump him up and get him back in there.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(2).jpg
(I have a recording of a 1947 broadcast of Mr. Bennett's composition, and one of these days I'll post it somewhere. It's quite a piece of work.)

"The Man Who Came To Dinner" will come to the Flatbush Theatre next week, fresh from its recent Broadway closing. Taylor Holmes will play the title role of Sheridan Whiteside, Woollcottian radio lecturer who is forced by a broken leg to establish his headquarters in a quiet Midwestern home, which quickly becomes less quiet. Monty Woolley, who made the role his own on Broadway, is now in Hollywood taking part in a motion picture adaptation of the play.

Old Timer Carrie Schrenk Marker writes in from Indianapolis, Indiana, where she is homesick for the old days at P. S. 123, where the principal Mr. Fury always prevailed with great dignity at the annual Arbor Day tree plantings in Suydam Park.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(3).jpg
(Yeah, well, the Emir of Solifara better shake a leg.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(4).jpg

(I could sure go for a rich chocolate-flavored bottled drink right now.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(5).jpg
(I don't think I'm quite ready for Biker Mussolini.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(6).jpg
(Little Sunny is the most realistic depiction of a toddler you'll ever see in the comics. Just like Irwin is the most realistic depiction of an idiot. But I do like this new proto-beatnik look that Charlie Blake has going, and I certainly hope that he goes all the way with it.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(7).jpg
(Y'know, for a man who has to be well into his fifties, George certainly can take a lot of punishment. Why hasn't the President called *him* out of retirement?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(8).jpg
(All right, how *did* they get up there? Oh, and I hope Little Beaver isn't too disappointed when he finds that he's been led on by propaganda.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_.jpg
The Cochran case gets creepier and creepier.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(1).jpg
Mr. Hill's faces are always well-observed, but that pooch in panel one is absolutely priceless.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(2).jpg
We've seen bizarre villians in this strip before, but mark this moment as the point where Mr. Gould takes a decisive turn to the grotesque.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(3).jpg

OK son, better drink your Dari-Rich!

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(4).jpg
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(5).jpg
Yeah, this is probably how those cowboys got up on that mesa.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(6).jpg
Y'know, Jack, that snotty attitude of yours is what got your wife killed. JUST SAYIN'.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(7).jpg

That's not actually a lighthouse, it's a novelty ice cream stand where we'll find Shadow working next week.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(8).jpg
"Anyway, this is no fun. Let's go shoot out Uncle Avery's windows."

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(9).jpg
"Of course I am, in fact, a true Indian -- an East Indian -- but your narrow American provincial outlook fails to perceive the irony of this. Ugh."

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(1).jpg
(So all that was wrong with Camilli is "low blood pressure?" Why do I think they're not giving us the whole story? Anyway, pump him up and get him back in there.)...

So, it was this week not last that Whirlaway was running (oops), but worse, the heavily favored star lost. Hence, the expression, that's why they run the race.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(5).jpg (I don't think I'm quite ready for Biker Mussolini.)...

Doing calculus for fun should disqualify you from running a country.

I think I knew that Hitler had a sweet tooth - always seems funny to think of him, this monstrous evil, enjoying some normal small thing in life.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(6).jpg (Little Sunny is the most realistic depiction of a toddler you'll ever see in the comics. Just like Irwin is the most realistic depiction of an idiot. But I do like this new proto-beatnik look that Charlie Blake has going, and I certainly hope that he goes all the way with it.)...

Sure, first you have to spend years as a copper just to become a detective and then it's still all but impossible to make the jump to secret operative unless you have no training at all but happen to be the girlfriend of an operative who goes missing and you are hanging around at just the right time.

Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_-2.jpg
The Cochran case gets creepier and creepier....

Maybe it's the age we live in that is biasing me, but I'd be worried about why the mayor is tenaciously trying to hold on to the eight-year-old girl in his custody.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(3).jpg
OK son, better drink your Dari-Rich!...

Other than strip her clothes off and throw herself on top of Terry, there's not much more signaling of her intentions that Burma could do. Terry, it's time to break your maiden. Think of it this way, you'll have a better game to bring to Hu Shee.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(7).jpg The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jul_27__1941_(4).jpg
That's not actually a lighthouse, it's a novelty ice cream stand where we'll find Shadow working next week...."

I scrolled up to check, but still not sure. I think it could be the same actress, just with her hair dyed a different color, playing the hotdog-eating girl in "Harold Teen" and the girl dating the two baseball players in "Invisible Scarlett." Kinda like when Heather Locklear was on "T. J. Hooker" and "Dynasty" at the same time.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Other than strip her clothes off and throw herself on top of Terry, there's not much more signaling of her intentions that Burma could do. Terry, it's time to break your maiden. Think of it this way, you'll have a better game to bring to Hu Shee...

Earlier, I had thought Burma his probable teacher. And to be candid the will they or won't they is a bit old.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It's the character actresses who always get the most work.

And speaking of work, it's great that Dino Sinclair has a new job now that the World's Fair is over.

I met the late actor Claude Akins at a college drama society visit. He graduated Northwestern then hung
around the Chicago theatrical scene until a support part in From Here To Eternity took him out to
the West Coast. Afterwards, with television coming into its own and with a map of Ireland face that
"looked as if it could hold a quart of rainwater" he plied his luck with character supporting roles.
His wife also a thespian, they would switch the housekeeping and kids depending on who was
currently working. A great guy.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A new revenue bill expected to be introduced soon in Congress may include a general Federal sales tax, and may reduce tax exemptions to create a new class of general tax payers. So stated Rep. Robert Doughton (D-North Carolina) of the House Ways and Means Committee, who today asked for and was granted a "gag rule" which will limit debate on the measure to three days. Republicans objected to the proposal that only members of the Ways and Means committee be allowed to propose amendments to the tax bill from the floor, but Republican Rep. Charles Halleck of Indiana stated that he would like to see present exemptions that require no tax of individuals making $600 a year or less, or married couples earning less than $2000 be reduced to add more taxpayers to the Federal rolls. "I think if more people are paying taxes," stated Halleck, "there would be more of an effort to hold down Government spending."

Russian forces are reported today to have wiped out an entire enemy division in a 13-day battle on the Finnish front, and to have driven back survivors in what is described as "a rout." The successful Soviet operation on the northern front coincides with indications that German pressure on the key sectors of Nevel, Smolensk, and Zhitomir is "relaxing," possibly due to continued assaults by the Soviet air force coupled with strong resistance by Red Army ground forces.

The German High Command stated today that the battle of Smolensk "is nearing its conclusion." The official DNB news agency claims that 35,000 Russian troops and 750 machine guns have been captures in the Mogilev area, due south of the embattled city, and that all attempts by the Soviets to prevent the destruction of encircled Russian troops "have been foiled."

A sharp disagreement over policy to be followed in the coming mayoral campaign season has caused labor leader Louis Hollander to resign his position as Kings County Chairman of the American Labor Party. The dispute focuses on whether the ALP will endorse only its own slate of candidates in the upcoming race, or join in a coalition with the Republican Party to oppose the Tammany candidacy of District Attorney William O'Dwyer. The ALP has already endorsed Mayor LaGuardia for re-election, and the GOP is also expected to do so, but Hollander, the general manager of the joint board of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, opposes the idea of the ALP joining with the Republicans to field a down-ticket slate of coalition candidates. But Hollander also faced opposition from the ALP's left-wing faction, which is preparing to oppose the party establishment's field of candidates with its own slate in the upcoming primary election. Democrats in Brooklyn enjoy a top-heavy advantage in voting strength in any contest in which the various opposition parties stand on their own tickets, but coalition strategy has proved advantageous in recent elections, with a Fusion-ALP-Republican alliance playing an important role in Mayor LaGuardia's re-election campaign of 1937.

Fifty-seven people are dead across the East and Midwest as the region continues to broil under a torrid heat wave, but some relief is expected today, with showers forecast to bring temperatures down into the low 80s. Yesterday, 90-degree temperatures sent more than a million people to the crowded Coney Island shore in search of a respite, with another 1,250,000 retreating to the Far Rockaways.

A police search for $186 lost in the Coney Island sand was launched today following the arrest of a 36-year-old Surf Avenue salesman on charges that he stole a woman's pocketbook on the beach. Irving Levitt was apprehended carrying a towel with $59 tied up in it after police were summoned by the screams of Miss Nettie Stapler of 295 Saratoga Avenue. Miss Stapler claimed that someone stole her handbag, containing $245 in cash, and Levitt's suspicious behavior at the scene led to his arrest. Police say Levitt has been arrested fifteen times since 1922, and has been convicted twice, and they believe that he secreted the rest of Miss Stapler's money somewhere on the shore.

Silent screen siren Pola Negri was arrested yesterday by immigration authorities as she tried to alight on Brooklyn shores after returning to the United States from France aboard the American Export liner Excalibur. Miss Negri, who was born in Poland, has been acting in Germany and France for several years and told authorities that she was returning to the United States to resume her film career in Hollywood. But immigration agents noted that the actress's re-entry permit expired five years ago, and she was taken to Ellis Island, where she will be held until the matter is resolved. As she was led away, Miss Negri vowed to return, stating that she still belongs to her public.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_.jpg

(Well, at least she didn't marry Artie Shaw.)

After a wild flight thru the streets of Brooklyn early this morning in a stolen car, three young men are in custody on charges of grand larceny. 18-year-old Steve Minarovich, unemployed, of 429 E. 73rd Street in Manhattan, 16-year-old Anthony Perrone, unemployed, of 450 E. 81st Street in Manhattan, and 25-year-old Edward Williams, "a Negro and a painter," of 225 Putnam Avenue, were booked at the Bergen Street precinct after leading a police radio car on a chase down Atlantic Avenue. Shots were fired by the radio patrolmen, and when the car came to a halt near S. Elliot Place, its four occupants scattered. The fourth man is still at large. Police say the car was stolen from a parking space on York Avenue in Manhattan late last night. The three suspects disavowed all knowledge of the theft, and claimed that the fourth man, who was the driver, had picked them up near Coney Island after offering them a ride home.

The 17-year-old daughter of a Queens carpenter is hospitalized today in serious condition with broken bones and a fractured skull after leaping from a fifth-story window in the Bronx to escape "the attentions" of three men. Miss Kathleen Fitzgerald would have been killed instantly, say doctors at Morrisanta Hospital, had her fall not been broken by a clothesline. Police say Miss Howard told them she had been raped in the Bronx apartment by three men she could identify only as "Tony, Jerry, and Jimmy," after she accepted the offer of a ride from them on the Whitestone Bridge. Miss Fitzgerald is a cousin of Genevieve Connolly, ten-year-old girl who was burned to death in the furnace of a Bronx apartment house by building superintendent Thomas Conroy last November.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(1).jpg

("Now, for the before picture, you gotta look bored." "Whattaya mean 'look'?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(2).jpg

(In the Lichty Universe, it's no surprise that Hitler is fat. But I'm astounded that he isn't bald.)

The site of Billy Rose's Aquacade is now open as a public swimming pool, but no dedicatory ceremonies marked the opening yesterday at the new Flushing Meadow Park. The amphitheatre has changed little from its gleaming World's Fair days, but instead of frolicking "Aquabelles," its 12-foot chlorinated waters may be enjoyed by ordinary New Yorkers. Park authorities say up to 6500 swimmers a day are expected to use the pool over the course of the summer season, with seating for up to 8500 spectatiors. The pool is open until 10pm each night, and will be illuminated during the evening by the same underwater floodlights that once lit up Mr. Rose's precision pageants.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(3).jpg

("Don' read it!" moans Joe. "Ya don' want t'kid ta come out a limp soggy-ahmed bum! An' do yaself a favah, an' don' lissen onna radio t'marra! Um -- where izza radio?" Sally says nothing, but merely closes her eyes, sighs, and inclines her head toward the kitchen window. "Oh," ohs Joe. "Well, at leas' ya put it up foist...")

Norman Corwin's much-anticipated "Old Testament Trilogy" for the his "26 By Corwin" series over CBS will see its dramatization of the Book of Job shifted from August 17th to August 24th, so that Mr. Corwin may fly to Hollywood to personally direct Charles Laughton in the leading role. The entire trilogy will move ahead a week to accomodate the schedule change, with the first program in the sequence, a dramatization of the story of Samson, written as a verse drama with "striking modern implications, to be broadcast on August 10th, and the August 17th broadcast to be devoted to the story of Esther, with the character of Haman written as a "Hitler-like oppressor of the Jews."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(4).jpg

(As we have seen before, and now see again, Boody Rogers is the first nationally-syndicated cartoonist to turn his various erotic fantasies into a paying proposition.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(5).jpg

("I'm glad you asked that!" No you're not.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(6).jpg

(Why doesn't Mary just get cards printed?)

_Mon__Jul_28__1941_.jpg

(That's OK, Chief, I'm sure you have an ultra-competent girlfriend who's up to the job.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(7).jpg
(IT PAYS TO ADVERTISE)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_.jpg
Those lingering few who insist on remembering 1941 thru the hazy fog of 'last peacetime summer' nostalgia were not allowed by their parents to read the papers.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(1).jpg

A salesman?? Better keep hold of your pocketbook.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(2).jpg

And Sally slumps gloomily on the fire escape, while Joe rubs a big chip of ice against the back of her neck, as they dream of Next Year...

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(3).jpg

So where's Punj? Don't tell me the Sahib makes him ride in the baggage compartment.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(4).jpg

"And while you're at it, get rid of that dopey hat!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(5).jpg

I dunno, I was kinda hoping for a wild, untamed caveman look.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(6).jpg
Terry was about thirteen when he first met Burma, and Burma does have a conscience.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(7).jpg
Sorry, kids. Gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(8).jpg

Y'know, Veronica Lake really ought to sue.

Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(9).jpg

"Besides, Uncle Willie ain't had a chance to soak her yet."

... police search for $186 lost in the Coney Island sand was launched today following the arrest of a 36-year-old Surf Avenue salesman on charges that he stole a woman's pocketbook on the beach. Irving Levitt was apprehended carrying a towel with $59 tied up in it after police were summoned by the screams of Miss Nettie Stapler of 295 Saratoga Avenue. Miss Stapler claimed that someone stole her handbag, containing $245 in cash, and Levitt's suspicious behavior at the scene led to his arrest. Police say Levitt has been arrested fifteen times since 1922, and has been convicted twice, and they believe that he secreted the rest of Miss Stapler's money somewhere on the shore....

$245 in '41 = ~$4500 in '21. Who brings $4500 in cash to the beach where it's always a bit of a challenge to keep your eye on your stuff?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_.jpg
(Well, at least she didn't marry Artie Shaw.)...

The first of five for Ms. Garland.

.... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(1).jpg
("Now, for the before picture, you gotta look bored." "Whattaya mean 'look'?")...

Way more than I wanted to know about "jellies."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(5).jpg
("I'm glad you asked that!" No you're not.)...

God love Jo: "...with one of her fiances." [Bold mine] and "...with that shop-worn vamp."

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_.jpg Those lingering few who insist on remembering 1941 thru the hazy fog of 'last peacetime summer' nostalgia were not allowed by their parents to read the papers....

Never saw a skinny Edmond O'Brien before.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(1).jpg
A salesman?? Better keep hold of your pocketbook....

Is it just our '21 hyper-sexualized times or, even in '41, was the double entendre here intentional?

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(2).jpg
And Sally slumps gloomily on the fire escape, while Joe rubs a big chip of ice against the back of her neck, as they dream of Next Year......

How 'bout some pics from Valley Stream State Park?

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(6).jpg Terry was about thirteen when he first met Burma, and Burma does have a conscience....

I believe she'd be doing Terry a service. He's got to get in the game and an, er, uh, older, umm, er, experienced woman would be a great start for our newbie. Sure, maybe he'd go all stupid on her for a bit, but then he'd see it for what it is, an initiation, and would move on. This way, Hu Shee won't have to break out the picture books and diagrams later.

And, "Dudie - Wudie," Burma's a street fighter / Raven's the rich b*tch.

I love that Burma doesn't believe in buttons on any of her blouses.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jul_28__1941_(8)-2.jpg
Y'know, Veronica Lake really ought to sue....

Mom is playing a game she can't win. Although, she could sabotage her daughter.

If Veronica Lake wasn't three sheets to wind and fending off Errol Flynn's advances, maybe she'd have time to sue.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A don't pass come out roll of snake eyes against the shooter.
Terry's throws Aces with Burma, lectured, a cast off virginal sacrifice to female conscience.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner