Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_.jpg
Vintage Phrases you don't hear anymore: "...sharing the common tube of toothpaste."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(1).jpg

Advertising is educational.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(2).jpg

Miss Hutton, whom you'll recognize as the lead vocalist for Glenn Miller's band over at the Pennsylvania Hotel, is married to Jack Philbin, a prominent publicity agent, and doesn't know much about housework.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(3).jpg
"I got ways" = Mr. Gray couldn't think of a plausible explanation.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(4).jpg

Cool.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(5).jpg
Um, last time you went to the woods, didn't you end up with your head stuck in the mouth of a stuffed bear? Just sayin'.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(6).jpg

You knew who you were dealing with, kid.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(7).jpg
"Uhhh, you'll have to loan me the rest."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(8).jpg
And somewhere, Senga is laughing.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(9).jpg
I can't remember if Cagney ever said these lines in a picture, but if he didn't, he should have.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Judas has ice water coarsing through his veins. And, he might be European; which perhaps would explain
his procrastination with his female captive, patience has its place, and timely wait savors the moment no doubt.
His reserve manner also leans towards this, slippery snake though he is.
His ultimate demise will make for enjoyable reading. :cool:

...After splitting yesterday's vital doubleheader at Ebbets Field, the Dodgers and the Cardinals will play another tense twinbill tomorrow, following the postponement of this afternoon's scheduled single game due to rain. It is expected that Curt Davis will face Mort Cooper in the first game, with either Kirby Higbe or Fred Fitzsimmons against Max Lanier in the nightcap. Tickets for today's game may be exchanged at the box office in Ebbets Field's marble rotunda or the Dodger office at 215 Montague Street for tickets good tomorrow....)

So do the Dodgers lose the ticket revenue from one game since they had to turn the last two games of the series into a doubleheader?

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_25__1941_.jpg
(Oh, and guess what? It's probably counterfeit.)...

You find $100 or a watch, etc., you turn it in. You find a nickel and you don't immediately know who drop it, you keep it and go on with your day. To do more is not so much honesty as moral preening.

...The chairman of the Governor's Committee on Discrimination in Employment reported today a steady increase in the number of firms in the State of New York to have relaxed employment requirements to eliminate or reduce discrimination on the basis of race, religion, or national origin. "Hundreds of employers in this state have discriminated against qualified workers because they are Negroes, or Jewish, or of German or Italian origin," stated Industrial Commissioner Frieda S. Miller, "are now reversing their practice." Mrs. Miller noted that Brooklyn's Sperry Gyroscope has just hired its first crew of skilled Negro production workers, and has instituted up-grading programs for the promotion of less-skilled Negroes....

To quote Lizzie, "There's a New World Coming..."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(5).jpg ("Wiry, wasp-waisted, and bald-headed." And Freddie Fitzsimmons laughs and laughs.)...

It's fun to watch MacPhail backpedaling hard on the location of the World Series games.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(6).jpg
(Actually it's not cannibals at all. Gene Krupa just wanted a private place to rehearse.)...

It's not up there with Mr. Hill's from yesterday, but Rogers is pushing his own double entendre today.

A... Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_.jpg Vintage Phrases you don't hear anymore: "...sharing the common tube of toothpaste."....

Would someone really put out extra shirts on a clothes line to make it appear her husband wears fresh shirts more often than he does? That sounds nuts.

... Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(1).jpg
Advertising is educational.....

While not as good as most of the national brands, for a regional company, Horn and Hardart's advertising is better than most (yes I'm talking to you Childs and Loft).

...[ Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(5).jpg Um, last time you went to the woods, didn't you end up with your head stuck in the mouth of a stuffed bear? Just sayin'....

And while you're away, I'll be stealing your hair-growth potion.

... Daily_News_Mon__Aug_25__1941_(8).jpg And somewhere, Senga is laughing.....

Or crying.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg

(The Eagle knows what the real news is.)

The Kings County Republican organization's efforts to prevent Democratic Borough President John Cashmore from running in the Brooklyn GOP primaries moved into the courts today, after the Board of Elections balked an attempt to rule Cashmore off the ballot due to allegations of petition irregularities. Acting thru former Corporation Counsel Paul Windel, local Republicans filed suit this morning in Brooklyn Supreme Court demanding a judicial determination on the validity of 2,480 challenged signatures appearing on Mr. Cashmore's Republican nominating petitions. The Kings County Republican Committee also accused Cashmore and the Board of Elections of "perjury, misrepresentation, and fraud." A motion before the Board of Elections to have the petitions thrown out was defeated last night in a 3-2 vote.

British Indian troops striking in blitzkrieg tempo into Western Iran have captured the port of Bandar Shahpur, with seven Axis ships and the important oil station of Naft-I-Shah, while British air troops landed to protect British families in the rich Iranian oil fields. Premier Ali Mensour of Iran took to the radio to call upon his people to "maintain order," and stated that his Cabinet is studying measures to meet the "Anglo-Soviet aggression." Meanwhile, Russian troops moving down the towering mountains from Armenia in a rapid sweep were believed to be nearing Tabriz, Iran's second largest city, as the British moved in from the west. It was stated in authoritative British quarters that there is no immediate intention of effecting a juncture with the Russian forces, as the prime object is "swift, efficient consolidation of positions effected in advance."

More than 100 members of the French Parliament met in Vichy today in rump session to declare themselves in opposition to the regime of Marshal Henri Petain. Disclosure of the now-organized resistance movement within the Vichy government coincided with the revelation that twelve passengers were injured in a railway accident near Cherbourg in Occupied France, an accident believed to be the result of sabotage. The Petain goverment announced today that summary executions of "Communists, anarchists, terrorists, and saboteurs" will take place, and that Marshal Petain himself will make "an important speech" next Sunday at Vichy Stadium.

The Senate Commerce Committee today unanimously approved a resolution for a special committee investigation of the shortage of gasoline and fuel oil along the Atlantic Seaboard. The announcement of that resolution followed a statement by Price Administrator Leon Henderson that the Government will take action "within 48 hours" to stabilize retail gasoline prices in the Eastern States, due to attempts by "some dealers" in the shortage zone to profiteer from the situation. Conferences on gasoline pricing will begin today between officials of the Office of Price Administration and Supply and petroleum industry marketing committees.

A prematurely-born two pound, two ounce baby died today despite the best efforts of police radio patrolmen to rush the child to an incubator at Bellevue Hospital. The baby born to Mrs. Anna Solomon of 289 Empire Boulevard was rushed in a cardboard cereal carton to Bellevue from the Medical Arts Building in Manhattan, a distance of two miles, in four minutes in a police radio car, but upon arrival it was found that the lid of the only available incubator failed to close tightly. The infant died five hours later.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg

(About time.)

In Crown Heights, two hundred journeyman barbers went on strike this morning seeking higher wages and improved working conditions. The strike by Local 2 of the Barbers' and Beauty Culturists' Union of America CIO may eventually spread to 8000 barbers working out of 2000 shops thruout the city. The union has been negotiating with the Kings and Queens Master Barbers Association for a minimum wage of $25 with a 50 percent commission on all earnings above $37 per week, that shops close on Saturday nights at 8pm rather than 9pm, and that shops remain closed on legal holidays.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(1).jpg

(Mr. Hanson is legendary around NBC for his technical ingenuity, so you'd think he'd be able to come up with something more clever than this.)

The Eagle Editorialist proclaims that the paper will "fight to the bitter end" any efforts to play Dodger World Series games in any park but Ebbets Field. He notes Mr. MacPhail's remarks the other day suggesting the possibility of playing the games at the Polo Grounds, but emphasizing that that would not happen "unless the fans demand it." The EE cannot imagine any circumstance under which that might occur.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(3).jpg

(My grandparents' house to the very T. It's eerie how much Mr. Lichty knows about me.)

West Coast CIO leader Harry Bridges today accused the Federal Bureau of Investigation illegally tapped his telephone at the Hotel Edison in Manhattan. Mr. Bridges, head of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, displayed to reporters today wire-tapping apparatus he said he had removed from the telephone box in his room at the Edison, and charged that FBI agents in an adjoining room had placed it there in collusion with the hotel's management, and further stated that when he investigated the adjoining room himself he found carbon paper bearing the name of "Evalle M. Younger," whom he identified as a special agent of the FBI. He also noted that he had seen another FBI man at the hotel, recognizing him as having testified against him at a trial last year in San Francisco. Mr. Bridges stated that he has moved from the Edison to the Hotel Piccadilly in the wake of the incident.

Brooklyn police are searching for a 17-year-old girl reported missing from her Flatlands home since for over two months. Miss Joyce Frank of 1516 E. 49th Street, described by her father as "a dancer," was last seen on June 15th when she "went out for a walk." Her father, Albert Frank, had not reported her missing, however, until last Thursday. She is described as blonde, five feet three inches tall, with a scar on her left wrist. She was last employed in a restaurant.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(4).jpg

("Hey," says Joe. "If it's a boy, we oughta call him 'Leo.' He won' hafta take nuttin' f'm nobody if we call'im 'Leo.'" "Whattifissa goil?" sighs Sally, who just wants to get it over with. "Well, OK," replies Joe. "Howzabout 'Leona?'" "Aftattat dame inna funnies?" snaps Sally. "Well," mutters Joe, "y'could do woise...")

If you enjoy Harold Peary as blustery Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve on "Fibber McGee and Molly," you'll enjoy him even more in his own program. Peary will play the same character in a brand-new setting when "The Great Gildersleeve" premieres over WEAF next Sunday.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(5).jpg

(Let's see Andy Gump top THAT!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(6).jpg

(Sibyl really does -- ah -- get around.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(7).jpg
(Better get that right when you print up the wedding invitations...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(8).jpg
(OK, at least it's not reruns...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg
And to think they call them "the idle rich..."

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(1).jpg

Obviously this is a high-class joint serving unchilled beer in the European manner.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(2).jpg

Someone could write a really fine one-act play about Leslie Howard and Dick Valdes playing pinball together in the Bronx.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(3).jpg

"Ring-tailed lop-sided old blatherskite!" Language, Daddy, language!

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(4).jpg
"Funny you should mention 'fire...'"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(5).jpg
If you've ever wondered what it would be like to slowly freeze to death, well, get comfortable...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(6).jpg

"Well how was I to know it was an actual shack???"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(7).jpg
"Actually, I just came in today to tell you I'm taking a job at a defense plant. $35 a week, and no you!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(8).jpg

No wonder you caught a cold, running around in that outfit.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(9).jpg

When Harold's the voice of reason, you really do need to start questioning your choices.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg
(The Eagle knows what the real news is.)...

Who's the guy sitting over there, he's odd looking?
It's almost as if he's from another time, like from the future?
Yeah, that's it, but nobody would be stupid enough to time travel from the future to see a baseball game.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg
(About time.)...

"...on the unmetaphysical charge of stealing." :)

...Brooklyn police are searching for a 17-year-old girl reported missing from her Flatlands home since for over two months. Miss Joyce Frank of 1516 E. 49th Street, described by her father as "a dancer," was last seen on June 15th when she "went out for a walk." Her father, Albert Frank, had not reported her missing, however, until last Thursday. She is described as blonde, five feet three inches tall, with a scar on her left wrist. She was last employed in a restaurant....

"Her father, Albert Frank, had not reported her missing, however, until last Thursday."

Hopefully, the police are questioning him.

("Hey," says Joe. "If it's a boy, we oughta call him 'Leo.' He won' hafta take nuttin' f'm nobody if we call'im 'Leo.'" "Whattifissa goil?" sighs Sally, who just wants to get it over with. "Well, OK," replies Joe. "Howzabout 'Leona?'" "Aftattat dame inna funnies?" snaps Sally. "Well," mutters Joe, "y'could do woise...")...

I guess "Dude," if it's a boy or "Burma" or "Raven" for a girl aren't even in the running.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(6).jpg
(Sibyl really does -- ah -- get around.)...

Apparently, there was less fussing about conflicts of interest in 1941.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(7).jpg (Better get that right when you print up the wedding invitations...)...

By all means, let's make sure she spells the names right, but maybe someone should ask if the woman can actually compose a sentence before hiring her as a columnist, just a thought.

... Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_.jpg And to think they call them "the idle rich..."....

Captain Stubing never behaved that way on "The Love Boat."

... Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(4).jpg "Funny you should mention 'fire...'"...

The stories are so good, that sometimes I forget how good Caniff's drawing skills are. And that's based on these not-great scanned copies. The original work must be quite impressive.

... Daily_News_Tue__Aug_26__1941_(8)-2.jpg
No wonder you caught a cold, running around in that outfit.....

She looks like Madonna's lost sister from the 1980s.
madonna-look-3.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I want to know what kind of "glandular ailment" it is that gives Reiser a stiff neck? Has he got a goiter? The mumps? Or something too horrific for words?

A surprising amount of Caniff original art survives and is scattered around the internet. Here's a strip from earlier in 1941, reproduced about 1/4 actual size...

Milton Caniff. Terry and the pirates. 2-19-1941a.jpg

Back when Burms was sitting in the catbird seat. What a difference six months makes. You can see from this that he does his linework with a very fine brush rather than a pen, which makes all the difference in bringing his figures to life.

Caniff was the first comic-strip artist to have a showing by a major Manhattan art gallery -- in 1940. He's recognized as the peak of his profession even in his own time, which is rather rare when you think of it...

I want to know what kind of "glandular ailment" it is that gives Reiser a stiff neck? Has he got a goiter? The mumps? Or something too horrific for words?

A surprising amount of Caniff original art survives and is scattered around the internet. Here's a strip from earlier in 1941, reproduced about 1/4 actual size...

View attachment 356977

Back when Burms was sitting in the catbird seat. What a difference six months makes. You can see from this that he does his linework with a very fine brush rather than a pen, which makes all the difference in bringing his figures to life.

Caniff was the first comic-strip artist to have a showing by a major Manhattan art gallery -- in 1940. He's recognized as the peak of his profession even in his own time, which is rather rare when you think of it...

Thank you for posting that Lizzie. It's really impressive. Great to hear that he was recognized in his time. As I noted, sometimes, I don't pay it the attention it deserves as I'm just engrossed in the story, but then you stop and realize how cool his artwork is. You can feel the roots of Pop Art in it.

I brought this up yesterday and bet you know the answer: when the Dodgers (or any team) have to combine games from two separate days into a doubleheaders, I assume they lose the ticket revenue for one of the games -right? Also, how do they decide which day gets the doubleheader tickets and which gets the refund (I assume the ticket that was good for the same day as the doubleheader is the one that gets the doubleheader ticket, but that's just a guess)?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's actually a very good question. I have an actual Ebbets Field ticket stub among the junk on my refrigerator door (right next to Sally's bubble gum card of Pete Coscarart), and the language on the rain check portion states that in the event a legal game is not played, this ticket will entitle the bearer to admission to "another regular season game." Doesn't say anything about doubleheaders. Of course, nowadays the "seperate admission doubleheader" is a thing, but it wasn't in 1941. I can't imagine MacPhail giving up the revenue from a sellout gate like that, so there must be an answer I haven't found yet.

Tickets at the time had a number printed on them indicating the game for which that ticket was offered, and the doubleheader tickets I've seen have two numbers, which would seem to suggest that you'd have to use the rain check for another scheduled twinbill (as Joe and Sally will do on September 7th with their tickets from that 4th of July disappointment) and a single game ticket for a single game. Possibly an exception was made for today because this is the last time the Cardinals will visit Brooklyn this season, in which case Mr. MacPhail will no doubt be in a rage.

That's actually a very good question. I have an actual Ebbets Field ticket stub among the junk on my refrigerator door (right next to Sally's bubble gum card of Pete Coscarart), and the language on the rain check portion states that in the event a legal game is not played, this ticket will entitle the bearer to admission to "another regular season game." Doesn't say anything about doubleheaders. Of course, nowadays the "seperate admission doubleheader" is a thing, but it wasn't in 1941. I can't imagine MacPhail giving up the revenue from a sellout gate like that, so there must be an answer I haven't found yet.

Tickets at the time had a number printed on them indicating the game for which that ticket was offered, and the doubleheader tickets I've seen have two numbers, which would seem to suggest that you'd have to use the rain check for another scheduled twinbill (as Joe and Sally will do on September 7th with their tickets from that 4th of July disappointment) and a single game ticket for a single game. Possibly an exception was made for today because this is the last time the Cardinals will visit Brooklyn this season, in which case Mr. MacPhail will no doubt be in a rage.

Considering how much more important gate receipt revenue was then, you can't imagine any team would want to give up the revenue of even a single game. Today, they'd still get the TV revenue, so much less of a big deal. To your point, if they can keep it to a single-game makeup, it's not a loss of money as the revenue situation doesn't change, but if they have to turn it into a doubleheader, there goes one game's revenue. If you find out more, please let us know. I'm thinking, a pic of your refrigerator door might be a cool thing to see, just sayin'. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a lot of interesting stuff on there -- a ticket to an NBC radio show from 1938, a "HELLO FOLKS!" lapel tag from the 1940 edition of the World's Fair, a Defense Savings Stamps booklet with several unredeemed stamps (I need to look into that) and an RCA "I Was Televised!" card from 1939. All that and snapshots of several cats, and of my surrogate daughter ten years ago riding in the Lobster Festival Parade. There's also an envelope containing the tickets to the Red Sox game I was supposed to go to in 2020 that never got played due to reasons. Someday those too will be collectible. One of these days I'll have one of the kids take a picture to immortalize it all.

Here is Petey's card, or another specimen of it via ebay...

s-l1600.jpg

"Greatest Second Baseman inna Nat'nl League! Eatcha haht out, Hoiman!"

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
"Ring-tailed lop-sided old blatherskite!" Language, Daddy, language!

Brought to mind the one humorous line that is always remembered whenever the play, Our American Cousin, is discussed:

"Don’t know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal — you sockdologizing old man-trap."

Last joke that made Mr. Lincoln laugh?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Brought to mind the one humorous line that is always remembered whenever the play, Our American Cousin, is discussed:

"Don’t know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal — you sockdologizing old man-trap."

Last joke that made Mr. Lincoln laugh?

I remember cutting a college German lecture and wound up at the Chicago Historical Society; inside
was a particular exhibit: the interior room in which Lincoln died across from Ford's Theatre where he watched
Our American Cousin; actual furniture and the bed in which he died, the pillow with his blood clearly visible,
the same linen he laid upon, blood stained.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is, circulating in the wilds of the internet, a kinescope of an "I've Got A Secret" broadcast from the early 1960s where one of the guests has a dilly of a secret: he is the last living person who was present in Ford's Theatre as a witness to Lincoln's assassination. I used to think it was mind-boggling that my life overlapped with people who could have seen such things in person, but now it just reinforces that what we think of as "a long time ago" isn't really that long a time ago at all.

To put it into perspective for this specific thread -- our friends Joe and Sally are as remote from the times of Mr. Lincoln as we are from their times.

There is, circulating in the wilds of the internet, a kinescope of an "I've Got A Secret" broadcast from the early 1960s where one of the guests has a dilly of a secret: he is the last living person who was present in Ford's Theatre as a witness to Lincoln's assassination. I used to think it was mind-boggling that my life overlapped with people who could have seen such things in person, but now it just reinforces that what we think of as "a long time ago" isn't really that long a time ago at all.

To put it into perspective for this specific thread -- our friends Joe and Sally are as remote from the times of Mr. Lincoln as we are from their times.

As you note, we are "connected" to the past by the people we've known, especially when we were young and they were old. My great grandfather was born (no birth certificate) in the 1860s and lived to 100 something, so I, born in 1964, knew him when I was a little kid.

I often think about the changes he and my grandmother (born in the 1890s) saw in their lives: electricity, indoor plumbing, the automobile, the airplane, radio, TV, a man on the moon and incredible advances in medicine and dentistry.

That's part of why the not-too-distance past feels so distant as the changes in the past hundred-and-fifty years have been so incredible versus pretty much any prior hundred-and-fifty year period.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Their throats slashed and their poverty-stricken home a blood-spattered shambles, three Park Slope children are dead along with their mother, who murdered them in a "gory knife-and-ax orgy" before slashing herself to death as her wounded husband, a former policeman, lay screaming on the floor. A note in the writing of 34-year-old Mrs. Mary Morey of 311 20th Street declared that she committed the murders out of a fear that she and her children were infected with syphilis. "This is the best way out," the note stated. "Please don't touch anything. We are all infected with a disease." The father of the children, 36-year-old William Morey, was only slightly wounded in the attack and was able to provide a blood transfusion for his more gravely injured 11-year-old son William Jr. at Methodist Hospital. Dead in the attack are the couple's three youngest children, 7-year-old Marcella, 4-year-old Claire, and 3-year-old Paul. Assistant District Attorney Edward Heffernan stated that Mr. Morey had been dismissed from the police force in 1933 for intoxication. It was apparent to investigators that the family lived in poverty in a poorly-furnished four-room apartment on the first story of a three-story frame house just off 6th Avenue. Neighbors told police they could not remember hearing any unusual sounds from the apartment until just before the attack occurred.

In Vichy, France it is reported today that Communist assassins shot and wounded former Premier Pierre Laval and pro-Nazi newspaper editor Marcel Deat during a ceremony mobilizing pro-Fascist French volunteers in Versailles. Laval was unofficially said to be "gravely wounded" in the shooting, but Deat suffered only a minor wound in an arm. The gunmen are reported to have stepped out of a crowd around the Borgnie des Bourges barracks as recruiters from the Vichy government attempted to round up French volunteers to serve alongside Nazi troops in Russia.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_.jpg

A downpour of more than two inches of rain claimed three lives and wrought havoc into the early morning hours in Brooklyn and Queens, causing the "worst tieup in history" on the Independent Subway system. The IND was stalled for two and one half hours in Queens, with service to Fulton Street in Brooklyn cut off until early this morning. The deluge, which erupted just in time to cut short the second game of the pivotal doubleheader against the St. Louis Cardinals at Ebbets Field, caused a cave-in of planking on the new Fulton Street subway extension to Pitkin and Autumn Avenues, causing a huge gas-main fire that cut off service to the entire line. Two automobiles were caught in the collapse as the boards caved in, plunging into a 30-foot chasm just as lightning struck the gas mains, igniting a fireball that sent flames erupting 150 feet into the air. Telephone and electric-light poles were also lost in the collapse, cutting off power to the surrounding neighborhood, leaving the streets in pitch blackness, except in the fire zone, as spectators poured outside to watch firemen battling the three-alarm blaze. 66-year-old Martin Costello was electrocuted as he attempted to change a blown fuse in the flooded basement of St. Catherine's Hospital, while 36-year-old Edward Nelson, a Brooklyn Edison employee, was asphyxiated by monoxide fumes while working at Adams and Tillary Street. A pedestrian, 71-year-old Mrs. Annie Connors, was struck and killed by a driver blinded by the rain as she attempted to cross at the intersection of Fulton and Vermont Streets.

Police are searching for a wallet containing "many valuable papers" that was lifted from the pocket of the secretary to the president of Jewish Hospital at Ebbets Field yesterday. Hospital official Max Abelman reported that the wallet was picked from his pocket some time during the first game of yesterday's Dodger-Cardinal doubleheader. Police also note that the billfold contained "a sizable sum of money."

In Cambridge, Massachusetts, a teen-age radio performer halted a robber carrying off boxes of lead plumbing pipe from her grandmother's basement by beating him into submission with her bare fists. Fifteen-year-old Elizabeth Salash -- who performs under the name of "Betty Lee" on the "Lone Star Ranch Girls" radio program over station WMEX -- spotted the husky robber as she returned home after a rehearsal, and when her screams failed to stop him, she went on the attack, tackling and pummeling the bandit in the face with her fists until he surrendered. The thug was four inches taller than her subduer, and outweighed her by 25 pounds.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(1).jpg

("Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...")

Gambler Frank Erickson, disdained by Mayor LaGuardia as a cheap tinhorn and "Public Nuisance Number One," will go on trial next month for the stabbing last May of stockbroker Milton Untermeyer. The notorious Queens bookmaker was charged along with two women in the knife attack at a party in Untermeyer's home in Kinnelon on May 25th. Along with Erickson, two women golfers -- Mrs. Mary L. Crawford and Miss LaJunta White -- and a man named only as "John Doe" were also indicted in the incident. It is believed that "John Doe" may be Erickson's chauffeur, who was being sought by local authorities.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(2).jpg

("I couln' get awayf'm woik," says Joe. "Hones'." "T'en what," asks Sally, "las' night, was allat boipin'?")

The Eagle Editorialist responds to that baiting the other day by the St. Louis Post Dispatch arguing that the whole nation is not, in fact, united in rooting for Our Dodgers. "We have a feeling," he sniffs, "that the P-D editor is jealous. We do believe -- and our belief is well grounded in experience -- that there are more Brooklynites per square foot anywhere in the world than you would care to mention. The Post Dispatch editor is not only jealous -- but a little bit afraid!"

(They used to say everyone, everywhere, has a direct connection to someone with their feet planted in Brooklyn. I had an aunt who lived in Red Hook, and one of my theatre kids just moved to Bushwick, so I guess I can't argue with that.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(3).jpg

(It's gonna be a tough war.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(4).jpg

(Fitz is a good-natured and kindly man, but this has gotta have strained his patience.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(5).jpg

("The Hour of Charm," featuring Phil Spitalny and his All Girl Orchestra, is presented by General Electric. So hopefully Miss Shaw can at least get her vacuum cleaner wholesale.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(6).jpg

(Point of Order: We've established that Sparky's Superman-like abilities include an impenetrable skin. So won't Al E. Gator here have to spit him out pretty quick when he can't get a good chew?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(7).jpg
(Jo always thought that day in 1923 when that bold faker Oakdale left poor Peggy at the altar was absolutely the worst day of her life. Until now.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(8).jpg

(And another Point of Order: Boomville is a sleepy farming village turned grubby industrial site, so why does it even have snooty dowagers and butlers and such? Do they have to bus them in from out of town?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(9).jpg

(Really, Chief? Seems like YOU'RE the one who's forgotten. You've got Kay now -- and Dan Dunn is an idiot.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_.jpg
I always thought the whole point of being in show business was to end up in a cast.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(1).jpg

Not so easy, is it Adolf?

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(2).jpg

And there's 1941 NYC politics in a nutshell: machine, or not?

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(3).jpg
Jeez, I hope he took that gun out of his belt before he sat down.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(4).jpg
"I'm engaged, Tops. And, I'm afraid, not to you."

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(5).jpg

We're gonna string this all the way out to the bitter end, aren't we?

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(6).jpg

Yeah, don't count on sleeping in.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(7).jpg

Um, he's gonna tie Andy to a chair and torture him for his secrets.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(8).jpg

"Well now that we're all here, let's get down to business. One of the people in this room is a crook. Well, maybe two, depending on just how Gramps got control of that mine. Well, maybe three depending on what happened between Pruny and poor old Poppa Jenks that time. Well, maybe four-- hey chauffeur, did you renew the license on that car or not?"

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(9).jpg

See, Moon, this is why you don't have any friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy