Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There is, circulating in the wilds of the internet, a kinescope of an "I've Got A Secret" broadcast from the early 1960s where one of the guests has a dilly of a secret: he is the last living person who was present in Ford's Theatre as a witness to Lincoln's assassination. I used to think it was mind-boggling that my life overlapped with people who could have seen such things in person, but now it just reinforces that what we think of as "a long time ago" isn't really that long a time ago at all..

Once upon a time long ago I met a senior non com with whom I discussed topics similar to this line,
and he told me in his youth he had shaken the hand of a man whom had shook a Revolutionary War vet's hand.

A downpour of more than two inches of rain claimed three lives and wrought havoc into the early morning hours in Brooklyn and Queens, causing the "worst tieup in history" on the Independent Subway system. The IND was stalled for two and one half hours in Queens, with service to Fulton Street in Brooklyn cut off until early this morning. The deluge, which erupted just in time to cut short the second game of the pivotal doubleheader against the St. Louis Cardinals at Ebbets Field, caused a cave-in of planking on the new Fulton Street subway extension to Pitkin and Autumn Avenues, causing a huge gas-main fire that cut off service to the entire line. Two automobiles were caught in the collapse as the boards caved in, plunging into a 30-foot chasm just as lightning struck the gas mains, igniting a fireball that sent flames erupting 150 feet into the air. Telephone and electric-light poles were also lost in the collapse, cutting off power to the surrounding neighborhood, leaving the streets in pitch blackness, except in the fire zone, as spectators poured outside to watch firemen battling the three-alarm blaze. 66-year-old Martin Costello was electrocuted as he attempted to change a blown fuse in the flooded basement of St. Catherine's Hospital, while 36-year-old Edward Nelson, a Brooklyn Edison employee, was asphyxiated by monoxide fumes while working at Adams and Tillary Street. A pedestrian, 71-year-old Mrs. Annie Connors, was struck and killed by a driver blinded by the rain as she attempted to cross at the intersection of Fulton and Vermont Streets....

Yes, yes, that's a shame, flooding, subway down, not good, not good, gas-main fire, terrible, terrible, parking lot cave in, tsk, tsk, second game at Ebbets Field cut short, WHAAAAAAT!

....In Cambridge, Massachusetts, a teen-age radio performer halted a robber carrying off boxes of lead plumbing pipe from her grandmother's basement by beating him into submission with her bare fists. Fifteen-year-old Elizabeth Salash -- who performs under the name of "Betty Lee" on the "Lone Star Ranch Girls" radio program over station WMEX -- spotted the husky robber as she returned home after a rehearsal, and when her screams failed to stop him, she went on the attack, tackling and pummeling the bandit in the face with her fists until he surrendered. The thug was four inches taller than her subduer, and outweighed her by 25 pounds....

Good on her.

Heaven has no rage like love to hate turned nor hell a fury like a woman who finds a robber stealing lead plumbing pipe from her grandmother's basement.

...Gambler Frank Erickson, disdained by Mayor LaGuardia as a cheap tinhorn and "Public Nuisance Number One," will go on trial next month for the stabbing last May of stockbroker Milton Untermeyer. The notorious Queens bookmaker was charged along with two women in the knife attack at a party in Untermeyer's home in Kinnelon on May 25th. Along with Erickson, two women golfers -- Mrs. Mary L. Crawford and Miss LaJunta White -- and a man named only as "John Doe" were also indicted in the incident. It is believed that "John Doe" may be Erickson's chauffeur, who was being sought by local authorities....

Nice to see some follow up on this one.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(2).jpg
("I couln' get awayf'm woik," says Joe. "Hones'." "T'en what," asks Sally, "las' night, was allat boipin'?")...

Even into the '70s when I was a kid, people would huddle around a store's radio (often set up outside the store or on a windowsill projecting out) to listen to a key ballgame or part of the game that way. It provided for a spontaneous and fun sense of community. You might not know the woman standing next to you, but she and you were rooting for the same team and had an instant bond.

Very little gets by Sally.

... View attachment 357217
(Fitz is a good-natured and kindly man, but this has gotta have strained his patience.)...

Class move by him.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(7).jpg (Jo always thought that day in 1923 when that bold faker Oakdale left poor Peggy at the altar was absolutely the worst day of her life. Until now.)...

"The Bungle Family" is an uneven strip with some dumb storylines from time to time and way too much time wasted on nothing, etc., but Tuthill can also deliver a "boom" moment like today, which is why we stay with him.

... Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_-2.jpg I always thought the whole point of being in show business was to end up in a cast.....

You really wrote that line, didn't you, Lizzie.
Kermit head shake.gif

If Beverly is really going to get remarried immediately, that's a lot of fussing over alimony that will stop being paid shortly anyway.

... Daily_News_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(8).jpg
"Well now that we're all here, let's get down to business. One of the people in this room is a crook. Well, maybe two, depending on just how Gramps got control of that mine. Well, maybe three depending on what happened between Pruny and poor old Poppa Jenks that time. Well, maybe four-- hey chauffeur, did you renew the license on that car or not?"....

Enough already, it's time for Gramps to make a decisions: marry Prunella or the gold digger, he's waffled too long.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If Beverly is really going to get remarried immediately, that's a lot of fussing over alimony that will stop being paid shortly anyway..

Not necessarily. I haven't read this article so am not factually converse case but alimony structure
may allow for continued payment under certain conditions. New York law is restrictive as are other
states yet lump sum or a limited payout over set time with terminal cease might be in play here.
I do not know where filing made, seems like a suit of some standing requisite hocus pocus locus.

I did note the $6G brooch bit wherein the gal was married to a prince and the gate crasher handed
over the item when she legally was otherwise married. Subsequently, the parcel falls within this later
estate which she claims is her rightful property. I smell a slick shit lawyer.

Not necessarily. I haven't read this article so am not factually converse case but alimony structure
may allow for continued payment under certain conditions. New York law is restrictive as are other
states yet lump sum or a limited payout over set time with terminal cease might be in play here.
I do not know where filing made, seems like a suit of some standing requisite hocus pocus locus.

I did note the $6G brooch bit wherein the gal was married to a prince and the gate crasher handed
over the item when she legally was otherwise married. Subsequently, the parcel falls within this later
estate which she claims is her rightful property. I smell a slick shit lawyer.

It's good we have a lawyer on staff here at FL. Kidding aside, your expertise is incredibly helpful.

I've been chuckling about this since I read it:

"Ah..Mother!"
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_27__1941_(7).jpg

If Jo kills herself tonight (in a very '40s way) - kitchen doors closed with towels stuffed under them, oven and burners on, calmly sitting at the kitchen table - we'll all understand.

Farace

Familiar Face
Once upon a time long ago I met a senior non com with whom I discussed topics similar to this line,
and he told me in his youth he had shaken the hand of a man whom had shook a Revolutionary War vet's hand.

I am sometimes amazed, when I think about it, that my great grandfather, who I knew, started with the New Haven Railroad in 1900 as an office boy, became a fireman in 1902, and an engineer in 1907, meaning he was present during the time NYC decreed that there would be no more steam engines allowed into Manhattan and there was the big conversion to electric. (Unfortunately he was a mean old cuss and never was grandfatherly toward us, and I only found this out when doing genealogical research.) His father was an engineer on the New Haven as well, and before that was living in Manhattan as a dispatcher for the New York & Harlem, and before that worked as a brakeman for the short-lived Dutchess & Columbia Railroad when he still lived in East Fishkill, NY, where his father was a blacksmith. So, only one generation prior to someone I knew personally, and we’re back to the mid-1800s. (I’m still trying to trace that line backward; all the rest of my family only arrived between the late 1800s and 1916 from various European countries.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd love to get that kid in Cambridge on my broadcast. Don't Mess With Fake Texans.

Oakdale hugging Jo, as the payoff to an eighteen-year buildup, has to rank as one of the all time great Day to Day funny-paper moments. I can't WAIT for the wedding.

That whole rainstorm/lightning/gas explosion/fireball/cave-in/random people killed plays like a 70s disaster movie by Irwin Allen. Plus the Dodgers LOST THE SECOND GAME.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A charge that "sinister and planned sabotage" is behind the "multiplicity of misinformation" circulating concerning the gasoline shortage on the East Coast emerged in the opening day of a Senate investigation of the present fuel situation in the region. In a 31-page statement presented to the Senate Commerce Committee, Deputy Defense Oil Coordinator Ralph K. Davies cited "carelessly broadcast charges that the shortage has been created artificially to foster a war psychology" in the United States, in which statistics issued by his office have been "repeatedly questioned in the press," and suggested that such "efforts to sow confusion" might have "some purpose, sinister and planned." Davies, formerly an executive of the Standard Oil Company of California before his appointment as an assistant to Federal Oil Coordinator Harold Ickes, pointed to the Navy's inability to obtain bids on 2,500,000 barrels of heavy fuel oil in June for East Coast delivery as proof that an actual shortage exists.

Three men charged with terrorism were guillotined in Paris today by Nazi authorities, and an official broadcast warned that the government will take all steps necessary to purge all opposition to the French-Nazi collaboration. Meanwhile, one of the men accused in the attempted assassination of former Premier Pierre Laval and an assistant caused a sensation by claiming that he is not a Communist, as previously charged, but is, in fact, a member of a right-wing anti-Bolshevist faction. The broadcast made by Paris authorities warned that no distinction will be made in suppressing opposition to the regime by either Communists or monarchists.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_.jpg

(There can be no words.)

In the first case of its kind in the country, a selectee discharged from military service has returned to work for his pre-induction employer after consultation between the employer and Federal authorities. United States Attorney Harold M. Kennedy, in announcing the rehiring of 28-year-old Sylvester Carra of Bushwick by Grossman Shoes, Inc. of 372 DeKalb Avenue, commended the employer for "setting a fine example for other employers" in its compliance with the law. Carra had been released by the Grossman firm on July 28th, after being rehired on July 5th following his discharge from the Army as a hardship case. The company had claimed Carra left "by mutual agreement," after a new office system implemented by the firm had eliminated his job, but Mr. Kennedy in reviewing his case directed that he be rehired in another position "until or unless he can find another job."

A Great Neck socialite who was a central figure in the shooting death of a guest at a party at her home last February has been awarded $25 a week in alimony and $750 in attorney fees to allow her to contest a divorce suit filed by her husband, who claims she committed infidelity with the gunman. Mrs. Mary Gerken is contesting a suit filed against her by her husband Edward Ridley Gerken, who claims the convicted shooter Thomas H. Gallagher as correspondent in the divorce case. Gallagher was convicted earlier this year for the shooting of party guest John Gormley, who, Mr. Gerken claims, was shot when he entered a bedroom to discover Mrs. Gerken and Gallagher in the midst of an act of intimacy. Mrs. Gerken denies that claim, and stated in a sworn affadavid that the shooting was the result of an argument between Gallagher and Gormley over "remarks passed during the party." Mr. Gerken reminded the court that Gallagher himself had admitted to committing the act of intimacy with Mrs. Gerken. Mr. Gerken, who is the head of a credit corporation, belongs to several prominent clubs, and owns a 50-foot yacht, further testified that he cut off his wife's credit accounts because Mrs. Gerken abandoned the marital home on June 7th while recovering from an overdose of whisky.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(1).jpg

("Lissen, Joe," says Sally, as she clears the remains of the evening brisket. "Whenya go ta woik tamarra, take a look aroun' an' if ya fin' any Eagles inna ga'bage can, onna trolley, a'whateva, bring 'em all home, willya? I -- ah -- need ol' newspapas, t' line t' shelfs inna closet, ya know? Don'bring no Daily News, or t' Mirra, or t' Woil-Telagram, or any'em utta papahs, t'ough. I don'need nonna t'em. Jus' t' Eagle. It's -- ah -- a good kin'a papah f'linin' shelfs." "We ain' got no shelfs inna closet," replies Joe. "I'm gonna build some," says Sally. "We need shelfs. F't baby, ya know. An' when ya got shelfs, why, ya gotta get papahs. An' whateva ya do, make sure t'ey all got t'is one page heah -- um, it's specially good kin'a paypa.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(2).jpg

(Is it just me, or does this row of anthropomorphic storefronts look like the Fulton Street El? Gee, Mr. Bohack, is that the image you really wanna evoke?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(4).jpg
(Mr. Skelton has never been one of my favorite comedians, but it never occured to me he was basically a low-rent Bob Hope in his movies. Which is, now that I do think of it, exactly what he was -- the same kind of cowardly-wise-guy character -- until MGM had the sense to assign Buster Keaton to teach him how to do sight gags.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(5).jpg

(And that's how Lowell Limpus got his start.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(6).jpg
("Cincinnati? Is Cincinnati still in the league?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(7).jpg
(Does an alligator actually go "gwak gwak?" I just ran thru every chorus of "Old MacDonald's Farm," and it never came up.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(8).jpg
(And that's how history is written.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(9).jpg
(Actually, in a real small-town paper she'd be doing the Grange News.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(10).jpg

(Point Of Order: what record is that, Dan? Recall when you were captured, the Skull and his boys stripped you of your clothes and swapped them for the "Charley Blake" outfit, and when you woke up, the only papers you had on you were Blake's. Any notebooks or records you had on you before were no doubt destroyed in the fire. SO WHAT RECORD IS THAT, DAN? DID YOU JUST MAKE IT UP?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_.jpg
"Galloping matrimony." See, the screwball comedies didn't just make this stuff up.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(1).jpg

"The man said he was just dressed up for the occasion." Yeah, actually he was a doctor of philosophy. Didn't you see the hood?

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(2).jpg

Fifteen years from now, Mr. Moses will be heavily promoting the Fair site for the stadium project. Funny how the ground firmed up. Also, Yankee Stadium isn't even twenty years old yet, and already it's obsolete. So there.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(3).jpg
"Punj---ah, Chief. Don't forget to bring along the rug."

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(4).jpg

"Wait, without a nervous system how will I breathe, or see, or hear, or eat, or THINK? Well, OK, I don't think much anyway, but still..."

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(5).jpg
Awwwwww.....

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(6).jpg
Looks like Burma forgot her blouse.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(7).jpg
We used to have a cold-storage warehouse here, and it's a good thing Little Face didn't get locked in there. All they had inside was fish.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(8).jpg

Poor, poor Plushie. The saddest chump in all the funnies.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(9).jpg
It's always interesting to see an expert at her trade.

...A Great Neck socialite who was a central figure in the shooting death of a guest at a party at her home last February has been awarded $25 a week in alimony and $750 in attorney fees to allow her to contest a divorce suit filed by her husband, who claims she committed infidelity with the gunman. Mrs. Mary Gerken is contesting a suit filed against her by her husband Edward Ridley Gerken, who claims the convicted shooter Thomas H. Gallagher as correspondent in the divorce case. Gallagher was convicted earlier this year for the shooting of party guest John Gormley, who, Mr. Gerken claims, was shot when he entered a bedroom to discover Mrs. Gerken and Gallagher in the midst of an act of intimacy. Mrs. Gerken denies that claim, and stated in a sworn affadavid that the shooting was the result of an argument between Gallagher and Gormley over "remarks passed during the party." Mr. Gerken reminded the court that Gallagher himself had admitted to committing the act of intimacy with Mrs. Gerken. Mr. Gerken, who is the head of a credit corporation, belongs to several prominent clubs, and owns a 50-foot yacht, further testified that he cut off his wife's credit accounts because Mrs. Gerken abandoned the marital home on June 7th while recovering from an overdose of whisky....

"...overdose of whiskey." Not quite the correct wording.

("Lissen, Joe," says Sally, as she clears the remains of the evening brisket. "Whenya go ta woik tamarra, take a look aroun' an' if ya fin' any Eagles inna ga'bage can, onna trolley, a'whateva, bring 'em all home, willya? I -- ah -- need ol' newspapas, t' line t' shelfs inna closet, ya know? Don'bring no Daily News, or t' Mirra, or t' Woil-Telagram, or any'em utta papahs, t'ough. I don'need nonna t'em. Jus' t' Eagle. It's -- ah -- a good kin'a papah f'linin' shelfs." "We ain' got no shelfs inna closet," replies Joe. "I'm gonna build some," says Sally. "We need shelfs. F't baby, ya know. An' when ya got shelfs, why, ya gotta get papahs. An' whateva ya do, make sure t'ey all got t'is one page heah -- um, it's specially good kin'a paypa.")...

Sally's the smarter of the two, but even Joe can see through this one.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(2).jpg
(Is it just me, or does this row of anthropomorphic storefronts look like the Fulton Street El? Gee, Mr. Bohack, is that the image you really wanna evoke?)...

No kidding, other than Horn & Hardart, regional advertising is a mess in '41.

...[A Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(4).jpg (Mr. Skelton has never been one of my favorite comedians, but it never occured to me he was basically a low-rent Bob Hope in his movies. Which is, now that I do think of it, exactly what he was -- the same kind of cowardly-wise-guy character -- until MGM had the sense to assign Buster Keaton to teach him how to do sight gags.)...

It seems odd that Ingrid Bergman's only East Coast stage performance for the summer would be in Maplewood NJ and not NYC - no?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(8).jpg (And that's how history is written.)...

"Free that man! He is innocent!"

This is just so much fun.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(9).jpg

(Actually, in a real small-town paper she'd be doing the Grange News.)...

To be fair, she was hired for her name and connections, so it makes sense that she's writing society stuff (ignoring your spot-on point yesterday that this town would have no "society" to write about.)

It's been just over thirty years for me (and it was only a few paragraphs), but the first few times you see something you wrote published is a pretty cool moment.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(10).jpg
(Point Of Order: what record is that, Dan? Recall when you were captured, the Skull and his boys stripped you of your clothes and swapped them for the "Charley Blake" outfit, and when you woke up, the only papers you had on you were Blake's. Any notebooks or records you had on you before were no doubt destroyed in the fire. SO WHAT RECORD IS THAT, DAN? DID YOU JUST MAKE IT UP?)

Judge: "The curly haired woman in the back will sit down and be quiet or I will ask the bailiff to remove her from the courtroom."

Meanwhile, the defense attorney thinks to himself, "She has a point."

,[ Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_.jpg "Galloping matrimony." See, the screwball comedies didn't just make this stuff up.....

Fair point.

... Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(1).jpg
"The man said he was just dressed up for the occasion." Yeah, actually he was a doctor of philosophy. Didn't you see the hood?....

Cagney would be a perfect Frank Teller and, darn it, even though you know you shouldn't, you'd end up liking him.

Sheridan would be a perfect play against Cagney as Ruth Palmer.

... Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(2).jpg
Fifteen years from now, Mr. Moses will be heavily promoting the Fair site for the stadium project. Funny how the ground firmed up. Also, Yankee Stadium isn't even twenty years old yet, and already it's obsolete. So there.....

"Mr. Moses, not having the idea first, thought it was a punk idea."

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Aug_28__1941_(6).jpg Looks like Burma forgot her blouse.....

Spot on, Lizzie. Let's not kid ourselves, that can become its own kinds of arms race - we've all seen it happen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Maplewood was part of the "Straw Hat Circuit" of theatres hosting name talent in summertime stock-company productions of various famous plays of the recent past. Many Broadway performers used these theatres as an excuse for a vacation, and sometimes to show producers what they could do in various roles out of their usual repertoire. Broadway itself tended to go into semi-hibernation during the summer months -- as you see from the small number of shows now running -- in part to give actors a chance to work in these summer shows.

There were a couple of famous straw-hat theatres here in Maine -- the Ogunquit Playhouse in Ogunquit, and the Lakewood Theatre in Skowhegan -- and many top-drawer Broadway performers came up for the season. I don't think "Hellzapoppin'" ever made it up here, which is too bad, because I'd pay a lot to see how it goes over in Skowhegan.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Actors Equity had to clear Ms Bergman for Anna Christie's run, and dispensed parochialism for hard coin
consider of union membership employ that went hand in glove under contract. Actresses can 'own' roles
they play or aspire to perform. In this particular instance Ingrid Bergman 'owned' Anna Christie.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Six persons swore today in Brooklyn Federal Court that their signatures were forged on petitions nominating Borough President John Cashmore as a Republican candidate in the upcoming municipal primaries. In addition to testimony presented before Justice Edward L. Garvin in the case brought by the Kings County Republican organization to have Mr. Cashmore barred from the GOP primary ballot, investigation is underway into the presence on one of the petitions of the signature of one Russell Sloan, who is confirmed to have died last December.

Testimony in the case halted this afternoon when attorney Paul Windel, counsel for the Kings County Republican Committee collapsed in the courtroom and was rushed to Brooklyn Hospital. His condition as of press time is not known.

In Washington, D. C., a 30 year old "Negro servant" and former undertakers' assistant confessed to the murder of seven women in the nation's capital and in New York. Jarvis Roosevelt Catoe's confession, taken early today by Washington police, is said to solve a series of sex crimes that led First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt to issue a warning to young women coming to the Capital for Government jobs to "be careful." Among the murders solved by the confession are those of 23-year-old Betty Streiff of Des Moines, Iowa, a War Department clerk who was found criminally assaulted and murdered in Washington on June 15th, and 26-year-old Evelyn Dorothea Anderson of New York, whose body was found in a Bronx street on August 4th after having apparently been thrown from a passing automobile. Additional killings confessed to by Catoe extend back to 1939, and police say he has also confessed to additional criminal assaults in which the victims survived. Police have seized seat covers from Catoe's automobile which are being examined for traces of blood. It is believed that Mrs. Anderson was killed in that car.

In Berlin today, Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini declared the formation of a "New Order" for postwar Europe which will "remove the causes which have in the past given rise to European wars." The dictators of Germany and Italy had met between August 25th and today, it was disclosed in a Berlin communique, in a conference "marked by the unalterable determination of both peoples and their leaders to continue the war to a victorious conclusion." A separate statement by Premier Mussolini released by Rome and addressed to Hitler, declared that Germany and Italy have together "saved European civilization from the deadly danger of Bolshevism."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_.jpg
("Some of the fish that could not be accomodated at temporary quarters would be dumped back into the ocean." Well, that should certainly make things interesting in the Atlantic ecosystem.)

Advocates of birth control were confronted with their second setback within a week today when a "planned family" exhibit was banned from the upcoming Mineola Fair. Organizers of the Fair at first stated that the elimination of the exhibit sponsored by the Nassau and Suffolk Counties Committee on Mother Health Centers was due to a lack of space due to increased participation in the fair by Suffolk County interests, but it was later acknowledged that the ban was based on Lt. Governor Charles Poletti's recent action banning a similar exhibit from the New York State Fair in Syracuse. Mr. Poletti's action was, he stated, based on a contention that the State should not become involved in advocating changes in present laws governing the dissemination of birth control information. Mineola Fair organizers expressed the fear that allowing the Mother Health Centers group to exhibit at the fair would end up costing the event its annual State subsidy of $8000. Mrs. Margaret Sanger, veteran birth control crusader, declared the explanation "absurd," and called it an example of how "misinformed" Mr. Poletti is "in this field of public health."

A 50-year-old keeper at the Raymond Street Jail shot himself to death with his service revolver in a secluded section of Saratoga Park. The body of William J. Farrell was found about four blocks from his home at 568 Macon Street. Police say Farrell has recently been "in ill health," and a note was found on the body in which Farrell declared that he was "tired of living."

A 38-year-old Manhattan man who "did a Brodie" off the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday is given "a good chance of survival." Louis Barcelona of 122 Allen Street had recently been laid off from his job as a taxicab driver due to failing eyesight and had gone on relief
with his wife and five children. He plunged 148 feet from the center span of the bridge but was fished out of the water by a tugboat, suffering from submersion and internal injuries.

The waters of the broad Dnieper River flooding over the plains of the lower Ukraine presented a formidable barrier to Nazi invasion forces today as Soviet Marshal Seymon Budenny organized his army for a new stand on the eastern bank of the river. As they withdrew across the west bank, Marshal Budenny's men left only stripped fields and leveled factories in the path of the advancing Germans, and culminated their withdrawal last week by blowing up the famous Dnieper hydroelectric dam, denying its valuable electricity to the invaders and sending torrents of released water gushing over the plains.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_.jpg

(Buy now while you still can!)

In Hollywood, silent film star Charles Ray declared himself a pauper today in Federal Court, in a bankruptcy petition listing his debts as $2595 and his assets as nothing. Mr. Ray, whose screen characterization of a round-faced rural innocent with a gift for outslickering the city slickers, told the court he was being hounded by a collection agent for $766, and for $18 by a typewriter rental agency he owed for a machine on which he was making a futile attempt to earn a living writing movie scripts. He has made a few screen appearances in recent years as an extra, but his movie paychecks are said to be few and far between. At the height of his fame in the early 1920s, he attempted to form his own production company, but his fortune was wiped out by the failure of that firm, and he has since struggled to find employment. Last June he married French actress Yvonne Guerin, six years after his divorce from his first wife.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(1).jpg

(Nice ankles, Hank.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(2).jpg

("Hey! PS 163!" erupts Joe. "I wonna if she wazzat goil in 7-B..." Sally glares across the brisket. A fly buzzes against the bare bulb hanging down from the ceiling over the kitchen table. Thru the open window in the limp evening air carries the distant barking of a dog and muffled shouts of an argument in an indecipherable language. Frozen in the moment, Joe carefully weighs his next words.)

Mrs. George F. Russell writes in to ask that something be done about the ragweed growing on "the most disgraceful vacant lot" next to Brooklyn College. She denounces it as "a breeder of hay fever and a receptacle for the neighborhood's junk" and contends that just because there is only one other property owner abutting the lot it's no excuse for the Board of Education not to do something about it. "It's about time," she thunders, "that something was done about destroying those weeds!" (Amen, sister.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(3).jpg

(After all, the Good Neighbor Policy goes both ways.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(4).jpg

(Mr. Parrott and Mr. Durocher are good friends, to the point where Leo will hire eventually him as his official ghostwriter. Effective pot-stirring is a real skill.)

Dixie Walker is far out in front in the first wave of balloting to choose the most popular and most colorful Dodgers. The poll by the Brooklyn Dodgers Victory Committee conducted in cooperation with the Fabian Fox and Paramount Theatres and the Eagle finds the hard-hitting Southerner running well ahead of runners-up Pee Wee Reese and Dolph Camilli. Ballots must be in by September 2nd.

The Newark Eagles invade Dexter Park tonight in an attempt to move ahead in the season series against the Bushwicks. The tough Negro National Leaguers have a 1-1 record against the Woodhaven squad, with one tie.

Colonel Lemuel Q. Stoopnagle will preside as master of ceremonies from 4:30 to 5 PM tomorrow over WEAF, in a special broadcast dedicating the new vacation resort for employees of the New York City Department of Sanitation. The program, to be aired direct from the new facility in the town of Holmes, N.Y., features the good Colonel at the behest of his friend, producer John Golden, who is in turn a good friend of Sanitation Commissioner William Carey. The Colonel says that he expects to really mop up during the broadcast.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(5).jpg

(BURMA?????)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(6).jpg
(Jo's Private Hell.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(7).jpg
("But...but I thought this was a weekly paper?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(8).jpg
(And from the back of the courtroom comes a thin, tight voice. "What---about---ME?")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_.jpg
"See," says Mr. Warren Hall to the Page Four editor, "it's the extra effort that really makes the difference."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(1).jpg

"Ohhhhh, I don't waaaaant no more of Ar-my life...."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(2).jpg

Sure. That's the problem.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(3).jpg
Daddy's a dope.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(4).jpg

Whatever else you may care to say about Mr. Gould, you gotta admit he does his research.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(5).jpg
And that's what you get for trying to make friends with the neighbors.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(6).jpg
This week's Sunday page is going to be a doozy.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(7).jpg

Moose Solters? They're all White Sox fans!

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(8).jpg
Pruny for the win.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(9).jpg

Well, I mean, that face would look right at home on a post office wall.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Due to small type print even with click enlarge I wasn't able to fully read the Myrtyle and George
column with its financial details and Stage Door Johnny shennanigans, though seems a ludicrous amount
outside marriage for whatever consideration tendered. And, I wonder if any written contract survived
as testament.

Judas and the Japanese intend a night bombing run of approximate accuracy from an undisclosed height.
This may unsheath a Damoclean blade across that chameleon's neck.

Last edited:
("Hey! PS 163!" erupts Joe. "I wonna if she wazzat goil in 7-B..." Sally glares across the brisket. A fly buzzes against the bare bulb hanging down from the ceiling over the kitchen table. Thru the open window in the limp evening air carries the distant barking of a dog and muffled shouts of an argument in an indecipherable language. Frozen in the moment, Joe carefully weighs his next words.)...

Didn't they just have brisket the other day (he says as if he really knows what "brisket" is other than some kind of meat)?

.... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(5).jpg
(BURMA?????)...

I'm sure this isn't the first time the plot twist of having characters think they are stranded on a deserted island only to discover it's a resort, etc., has been used, but it has been used a bunch since.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(6).jpg (Jo's Private Hell.)...

"I'm wrong! That man is not guilty!"

This is the gift that just keeps giving. Tuthill is gleefully twisting the knife into Jo time and again.

A... Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(1).jpg
"Ohhhhh, I don't waaaaant no more of Ar-my life...."...

"Shiver my scuppers." Okay then.

... Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(4).jpg
Whatever else you may care to say about Mr. Gould, you gotta admit he does his research.....

No kidding. Wouldn't want to be his wife though.

.. Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(6).jpg This week's Sunday page is going to be a doozy.....

I'm counting on Burma to break free and save the day. Second plot choice, Pat returns to save the day.

... Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(7).jpg
Moose Solters? They're all White Sox fans!...l.

The internet has made not working at work so much easier.

... Daily_News_Fri__Aug_29__1941_(8).jpg Pruny for the win....

I don't know, Gramps seems to have a weakness for the comely lasses. Most of the time, with those type of guys, that's what wins out in the end.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brisket is pastrami that hasn't yet taken its final exam. No, actually, it's a tough, inexpensive cut of meat that's good for pot roast, but when you have brisket there will always, always be leftovers. Joe and Sally don't have an electric refrigerator and it's been hot lately, so they are doing their best to get rid of the leftovers before they sperl. Stella the Cat is sick of brisket, so they're gonna have to do it themselves.

The fact that no effort has yet been made to show, or even really discuss where Pat is -- Dude last saw him being dragged away by the DL -- makes it likely that he's being saved for a grand reappearance. And yes, right about Sunday would be perfect.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Brisket is pastrami that hasn't yet taken its final exam. No, actually, it's a tough, inexpensive cut of meat that's good for pot roast, but when you have brisket there will always, always be leftovers.

The fact that no effort has yet been made to show, or even really discuss where Pat is -- Dude last saw him being dragged away by the DL...

Brisket barbecued, slowly cooked is delicious. Since I cannot have a grill on my apartment balcony it needs
oven cooking and Chicago is too hot to heat the inside any further right now. Another reason to buy a crock pot.

Caniff's brilliant usage of characters and further development in strip adds another notch to his pencil.
Would that editorial restraint had been eased...Dragon Gal is one hot cookie and our boy Terry led the charge
which she allowed for her pleasure yet still retained some formal distance. Her post coital reserve with
the kid spoke volumes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy