Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I gotta repeat this point, Cheery was trying to have April become a concubine out of meanness and to get her away from Pat. Pat's behavior to Cheery was in service to preventing April from becoming a slave - he didn't do it as a prank. Sure it's all a comicstrip, but had Cheery been successful, April would have become a sex slave possibly for life. I couldn't care less that Cheery was put through an emotional wringer - the evil here is what Cheery was trying to do to April. Again, if I remember the storyline wrong, I'm genuinely happy to be corrected.

In my comment I noted "at least here in this particular, a most sympathetic creature" and within scene context
I must reiterate my sentiment sides with Cheery; although Pat's motive overall may be more chivalrous and mine is
an astigmatic view afflicted by a decided lack of strip background. Yet still, however the cruelty is most apparent.
Caniff has a sharp pencil, can use it when he wants and often wields a razor across the panel dialogue scenery.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's testimony again to Mr. Caniff's skill that we can have such a discussion about the moral implications of the activities of comic strip characters -- that whole storyline was filled with such situations. Blaze himself had been paying Singh-Singh for shipments of guns by -- ah -- acts of procurement, which is a pretty ripe thing for any comic strip character to be doing in 1940, let alone one who is, if not a heroic figure necessarily, than at least one in sympathy with the heroes, and part of the reason April posed as Pat's wife was out of a concern that Blaze might otherwise have designs on her himself. Blaze, in the end, though, redeemed himself to whatever extent he's capable of redepmption. The jury is still out on whether Cheery can do likewise.

Whatever happened to her, though, I don't think she willingly submitted to Singh-Singh's advances, and I suspect that he himself, if he is still living, is now functioning in somewhat reduced circumstances.

Interestingly, much of the Pat-April-Blaze-Cheery-Singh-Singh storyline was adapted a couple years later for the "Terry" radio serial. You can imagine the level of bowlderization that had to be done in order to make it acceptable for the after-school cereal-eating crowd.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It's testimony again to Mr. Caniff's skill that we can have such a discussion about the moral implications of the activities of comic strip characters -- that whole storyline was filled with such situations.... The jury is still out on Cheery.

Judgemente non obstente veredicto: Cheery is a dual sided coin.
I agree with Fading Fast that she is not without fault, but she is a woman and therefore has a heart and a heart can break.
Cruelty if avoidable should be void, and in the above panels Pat showed more than thespian chops. He bared his fangs.

Caniff writes literature. Comics were my first introduction to the written word. I can remember asking my Mom
to read Dondi and Terry and The Pirates, Rick O'Shay, Dick Tracy...others to me. I love comics and what we are
discussing in this thread is more than simple scripting and sketches. :)

It's testimony again to Mr. Caniff's skill that we can have such a discussion about the moral implications of the activities of comic strip characters -- that whole storyline was filled with such situations. Blaze himself had been paying Singh-Singh for shipments of guns by -- ah -- acts of procurement, which is a pretty ripe thing for any comic strip character to be doing in 1940, let alone one who is, if not a heroic figure necessarily, than at least one in sympathy with the heroes, and part of the reason April posed as Pat's wife was out of a concern that Blaze might otherwise have designs on her himself. Blaze, in the end, though, redeemed himself to whatever extent he's capable of redepmption. The jury is still out on whether Cheery can do likewise.

Whatever happened to her, though, I don't think she willingly submitted to Singh-Singh's advances, and I suspect that he himself, if he is still living, is now functioning in somewhat reduced circumstances.

Interestingly, much of the Pat-April-Blaze-Cheery-Singh-Singh storyline was adapted a couple years later for the "Terry" radio serial. You can imagine the level of bowlderization that had to be done in order to make it acceptable for the after-school cereal-eating crowd.

I watched, about, seven or eight "Terry and the Pirates" serial movies from the '40s (TCM shows them on Saturday morning now and then). They are pure two dimensional kids stuff. Fine, I guess, for what they are, but almost none of the adult stuff from the strip made it to the movie screen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Some of the characters make pretty fair translations to the radio show -- Terry, Pat, April, Blaze, even Dude. But the DL loses much of her nuance, Burma becomes sort of a wisecracking big-sister figure to Terry without the sexual overtones, Hu Shee is sort of a kid sidekick to the DL, and Cheery is reduced to a bare outline. Raven was also featured for a time, but I've never heard any of the episodes in which she figures, and I don't believe she was killed off in the show -- she merely faded out of the story. Most of the storylines were directly adapted from the strip, and apparently Caniff had at least some input into how the adaptations were made, but only so much could be done within the strictures of the medium. There really is no substitute for the strip itself.

image.jpeg

Because you just know Burma would love a nice tall glass of tomato juice.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Workers in captive coal mines owned by steel manufacturers will return to work, following an order by United Mine Workers President John L. Lewis ending a four-day strike. The decree followed the negotiation of a truce between the UMW and the steel industry brought about by the intercession of President Roosevelt. The two sides agreed to turn the dispute over a closed shop contract over to the full Defense Mediation Board, but it was also agreed that workers would return to the mines immediately pending the Board's final ruling. It was also noted that neither side has agreed to be fully bound by that Board's ruling, but Mr. Lewis stated that "the matter is on its way to complete settlement," indicating that he may have received assurances that go beyond the Board's ultimate ruling on the dispute.

A strike by approximately 75 workers at Air Associates, Inc., Bendix, New Jersey has ended, and employees will resume work as of the night shift on $5,000,000 worth of military aircraft equipment. Charles Kerrigan, regional director of the Aviation Division, United Auto Workers CIO, announced the return to work after a conference with Colonel Roy M. Jones, director of Air Corps procurement for the Eastern District. Military officials and plant administration will review payroll records in order to supervise the return of strikers to their previous positions. The most recent strike was the third at the plant in the past fifteen weeks.

The meaning of the word "shlom" threw the murder trial of Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter, Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, and Louis Capone into confusion today in Kings County Court, when witness Solomon "Shloem" Bernstein, self-confessed "stool pigeon" and "rat," declared that he directed a minor hood, a man named "Muggsy" Cohen, to steal the car ultimately used in the slaying of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen, figuring that the vehicle was to be used in "a shlom job." "Is that a Yiddish expression?" inquired Judge Franklin Taylor. Neither Bernstein nor defense attorney Sydney Rosenthal could identify the term as Yiddish, and Bernstein could only define it as "breaking somebody's head with a lead pipe." The court stenographer asked for the correct spelling of the word, "shlom" or "schlom" or "schlam," but Bernstein confessed that he didn't know how to spell it. "I can only say it," testified the witness.

The official formation of a Brooklyn Civilian Defense Committee was announced today by the headquarters of the Civilian Defense Volunteers of Greater New York. The new Brooklyn office will be headed by Miss Mary E. Dillon, president of the Brooklyn Borough Gas Company, and will supervise the recruitment and training of Civilian Defense volunteers for the entire borough.

Mayor LaGuardia today denied charges by District Attorney William O'Dwyer, his Democratic rival in the coming election, that the rise of the Murder-for-Money gang in Brooklyn was the result of his laxity as commander-in-chief of the city's police. The Mayor pointed out that 17 of 52 unsolved murders listed by Mr. O'Dwyer were on the books before he took office as Mayor in 1934. He further noted that of the remaining cases, all but nine resulted in arrests by the Police Department which were then "turned out" by the Kings County District Attorney's office. The Mayor promised that a full report on all cases cited will be released later today by Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine.

Meanwhile, Democratic candidate William O'Dwyer and his chief campaign advisors expressed confidence today that the Mayor's recent criticism of Governor Herbert H. Lehman has sealed his fate with the voters. Kings County Democratic leader Frank V. Kelly declared "the little fellow in City Hall has lost whatever chance he had at reelection by referring to Governor Lehman as he did." The Governor and former Postmaster General James Farley will resume their feud with the Mayor in the traditional Friday-before-Election rally in Brooklyn tomorrow night. Mr. Farley will also be the chief speaker at a monster rally this evening at John Adams High School in Ozone Park.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_.jpg

(Judge Leibowitz must've had a lot of fun at silent movies.)

A civic center flanked by a modern residential community is contemplated for the future of Downtown Brooklyn in a plan emerging from a series of meetings among civic, administrative, and business leaders and the City Planning Commission. The housing portion of the development would create apartments "suitable for middle-class residents" in a 100-acre section bounded by Myrtle and Flushing Avenues and Navy and Washington Street, a sector east of the section contemplated for civic and business development. The apartments would be constructed under either private financing or limited-dividend processes. The civic portion of the development would include two new courthouses, a new library, and possibly the new Board of Transportation Building already proposed for Brooklyn. It is acknowledged by all involved in the planning process that the project cannot begin until after the present defense emergency.

Furious new Axis drives reported today in the Crimea have come at the cost of another 20,000 German dead, according to Moscow reports, and has left the battlefield "littered with German corpses and wrecked tanks."

Vandalism of statues and public monuments in the city is taking its toll, according to Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, who noted today that bronze sculptures and plaques are being stolen or damaged for their salvage value as scrap metal. "Restoration," he observed, "has been a slow and tedious process."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_.jpg

(That's gonna be a pretty slow Hallowe'en party.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(1).jpg

(When Mr. Schroth chides you, brother, you know you've been chided.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(2).jpg

(Neurasthenia is the latest thing.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(3).jpg
(The Army-Notre Dame Game is one of the marquee events on the Era's annual sports calendar, usually played at Yankee Stadium or the Polo Grounds. Just think if there was a 150,000 seat stadium in Flushing to host it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(4).jpg

(Mr. Kaye, though he will have considerable success in movies, on radio and on television, will always be one of those performers who is best seen live. And it's nice to see that Vivian Vance got all her Page Four problems ironed out.)

Bing Crosby returns to the Thursday night Music Hall program this week, after a three month vacation to South America, where he looked over promising young fillies for his Del Mar racing stable. Joining Bing on opening night will be movie tough guy William Frawley, Metropolitan Opera star Rise Stevens, and veteran Hollywood leading man Warner Baxter, the latter an old Crosby crony. Bob Burns has left the Music Hall for his own program, but Connee Boswell, the Music Maids, John Scott Trotter's Orchestra, and announcer Ken Carpenter will all return for the new season.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(5).jpg
(Black light? Hasn't that already been invented?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(6).jpg
(Think of the difference he could make right now in Europe.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(7).jpg
(Connie's been reading Winchell. Always swipe from the best.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(8).jpg
("Act natural? You mean stand around gaping woodenly while they tie me to a chair? Sure thing!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_.jpg
A "modiste" is a high-profile fashion designer, and Mr. Tappe is certainly that, moving in lofty circles among the well-connected. The term also carries with it a certain
implication of what was referred to by some at the time as "effeminacy," which might suggest that there's more to the blackmail suggestion than meets the eye.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(1).jpg

"Siquard M. Rasher? But gee whiz, Ma -- I wanna play like Lester Young!"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(3).jpg
Like I said. And it looks like Captain Judas survived after all and has a job advertising cheap wine. I ask you.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(4).jpg
Giving up so soon? Guess Bill Slagg isn't so great after all.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(5).jpg
"Yeah," says Dude. "Tough life."

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(6).jpg

Orrrrrrrrr you could, I dunno, shoot 'em or something.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(7).jpg
A million dollars in nickels? Look, can't you just write a check?

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(8).jpg
"Oh, and get into some overalls and lose the tie. Who do you think you are, Eddie Bracken?"

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(9).jpg
Now that Moon's finally got some money he really needs to buy his little brother a bed.

Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(10).jpg

Well this is taking a dark turn.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The above cite for Broadway's comedic run Let's Face It featuring lovely Vivian Vance brings
back I Love Lucy childhood memories. Vivian may not have been a typical Hollywood femme fatale
varsity A list actress but I always considered her one of the sexiest starlets stabled second-tier.;):)

...The meaning of the word "shlom" threw the murder trial of Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter, Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, and Louis Capone into confusion today in Kings County Court, when witness Solomon "Shloem" Bernstein, self-confessed "stool pigeon" and "rat," declared that he directed a minor hood, a man named "Muggsy" Cohen, to steal the car ultimately used in the slaying of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen, figuring that the vehicle was to be used in "a shlom job." "Is that a Yiddish expression?" inquired Judge Franklin Taylor. Neither Bernstein nor defense attorney Sydney Rosenthal could identify the term as Yiddish, and Bernstein could only define it as "breaking somebody's head with a lead pipe." The court stenographer asked for the correct spelling of the word, "shlom" or "schlom" or "schlam," but Bernstein confessed that he didn't know how to spell it. "I can only say it," testified the witness....

Somebody get James Cagney on the phone, he'd know.

...The official formation of a Brooklyn Civilian Defense Committee was announced today by the headquarters of the Civilian Defense Volunteers of Greater New York. The new Brooklyn office will be headed by Miss Mary E. Dillon, president of the Brooklyn Borough Gas Company, and will supervise the recruitment and training of Civilian Defense volunteers for the entire borough....

Miss Mary E. Dillion seems ahead of her time.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(7).jpg (Connie's been reading Winchell. Always swipe from the best.)...

Dale Connor's illustration work is really impressive. You can feel the Katherine Hepburn of the '30s limn (with Veronica Lake's hairdo) in panel 3.

.. View attachment 374248 A "modiste" is a high-profile fashion designer, and Mr. Tappe is certainly that, moving in lofty circles among the well-connected. The term also carries with it a certain
implication of what was referred to by some at the time as "effeminacy," which might suggest that there's more to the blackmail suggestion than meets the eye.....

Re "The Neighbors," helicopter parents aren't new either.

... Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(3)-2.jpg Like I said. And it looks like Captain Judas survived after all and has a job advertising cheap wine. I ask you....

Guys like him are often chameleon survivors. I've seen those type of guys in my career; you lose sight of them, but then they show up years later in a completely different role at at different company, but still spinning.

... Daily_News_Thu__Oct_30__1941_(6).jpg
Orrrrrrrrr you could, I dunno, shoot 'em or something.....

It looks like I might need to pull out the rulebook again.

The above cite for Broadway's comedic run Let's Face It featuring lovely Vivian Vance brings
back I Love Lucy childhood memories. Vivian may not have been a typical Hollywood femme fatale
varsity A list actress but I always considered her one of the sexiest starlets stabled second-tier.;):)

My tier-two favorite is Margaret Lindsey who shoulda, coulda been a tier one.
images-41.jpeg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Lovely Ms Lindsey looks familiar, I cannot place her in film but her photo and name ring a bell.

Read your Lockean proverbial-nice, totally agree. :)
But Locke never was Uncle Sam drafted:eek: and tax audited.:oops::(;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_.jpg

The U. S. Navy confirmed this morning that it has lost its first warship in action since the start of the war, with the destroyer Reuben James sunk by a submarine attack while on convoy duty last night off the coast of Iceland. The ship carried a crew of 114 officers and men, and their fate is not known, but naval officials expect that "casualties were probable." News of the sinking, the third attack on a US ship since the war began, brought calls in Congress to "avenge this dastardly act of aggression." The Navy has declined to release a crew list, and official sources have indicated that it may be several hours, at least, before information on the fate of the crew will be available given the risk of revealing the positions of other ships in the convoy by use of radio.

The Reuben James was 21 years old, and of the type of sturdy destroyer designed for the World War, but given the extent of the damage to the much-newer U. S. S. Kearny, it is feared that there may be a higher casualty rate for the older ship. Navy authorities said the Reuben James carried sufficient lifesaving equipment for every member of its crew -- if they were able to use it.

Official reaction to the attack universally condemned it as an act of aggression, with Secretary of State Cordell Hull accusing the Nazi regime in Germany of "attempting to create a ruthless reign of terror" in the Atlantic. A German communique issued this morning stated that a destroyer had been sunk "recently" at an undisclosed location, but did not specifically name the ship or its nationality. But reports from Berlin did state that the attack "was justifiable under international law" if the vessel was escorting a convoy. While there is no official confirmation from any source as to the precise location of the sinking, it is believed to have occurred in the same general area as the recent attack on the Kearny. President Roosevelt told reporters this morning only that the Reuben James was performing "the duty assigned" when it was sunk.

The Reuben James, commanded by Lt. Commander H. L. Edwards, age 35, was attached for more than four months at the foot of 52nd Street in Brooklyn as a training ship, and fifteen Brooklyn men attached to the Second Naval Battalion had sailed on training cruises aboard the destroyer. It is not yet known if any Brooklyn men were part of the present crew.

A monster rally tonight by Democratic supporters of District Attorney William O'Dwyer at the Brooklyn Academy of Music marks the traditional conclusion of the campaign season leading up to Tuesday's mayoral election. Eighteen bands representing individual assembly districts will march thru the streets and escort Mr. O'Dwyer and Governor Herbert H. Lehman, riding in an open car, to the Academy where they will be greeted by cheering crowds.

Mayor LaGuardia today challenged District Attorney O'Dwyer to reveal the identity of the "spymaster" of the Murder for Money Gang, and his demand was endorsed by Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine, in disputing the claim that "laxity in City Hall" allowed the activities of the gang to flourish in Brooklyn.

In Bendix, New Jersey 2100 helmeted soldiers under the command of President Roosevelt seized control of the Air Associates Inc. plant, setting up machine guns at all entrances, and declaring that they were there to "supervise production" on defense orders totalling $5,000,000. Military authorities ordered all workers, strikers and strikebreakers to leave the plant at once and to remain at home to "await instructions." Troops from Fort Hancock, Fort Hamilton, Fort Jay, Governor's Island, and Fort Wadsworth made up the force commandeering the plant. United Auto Workers officials indicated that they will await instructions from Colonel Roy M. Jones, now in command of the plant, on when to report back to work. There was no statement of cooperation from non-striking workers. Refusal by non-union men to work alongside UAW men had precipitated incidents of violence leading up to the President's order Federalizing the plant.

Charles A. Lindbergh accused the President last night of "violating his pledges" against involving the United States in the war. Speaking before an audience of approximately 20,000 at an America First rally at Madison Square Garden, the former Colonel assailed the President for "subterfuge," and declared that ever since he visited Germany in 1938, he has known that any extended war among Britian, France, and Germany would lead to "an overwhelming German victory." He then stated that he advised British and French leaders at the time that their best strategy would be to fortify themselves, but to permit Germany "free rein" to "expand into Russia." Senator Burton K. Wheeler also spoke, denouncing the President's plan to arm merchant ships, while former Ambassador to Belgium John Cudahy declared his belief that Hitler is at this time open to a mediated peace, and urged the President to call an immediate conference of all belligerent states toward that goal. New York America First Committee chairman John T. Flynn denounced the radio networks for refusing to broadcast the rally, and charged that the radio industry is fomenting war propaganda by broadcasting material in support of the sale of Defense Bonds.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(1).jpg

(Designed primarily for Germans and Italian merchant seamen marooned in the US by the war, but other enemy nationals will spend time there as well.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(2).jpg

(Yeah, but are they endorsed by Leo Durocher, Dorothy Kilgallen, and Jinx Falkenburg? Huh? Are they?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(3).jpg

(Well, if Dressen goes to Cleveland, why not give Miss Patrick a chance?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(4).jpg
(My grandparents' kitchen to the very letter, except they weren't quite so -- plump.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(5).jpg

(And note the odds chart. There's a reason why college football is such a big deal, and you'll find it in the back room of any candy store.)

Ray Robinson, Harlem welterweight and the most sensational new fighter of 1941, will risk his perfect record tonight at Madison Square Garden against the guile of Frankie Zivic, in a ten-round battle which will send one of them on to a shot at the world welterweight title in January. Odds place Robinson a 7-5 favorite of Zivic, with a crowd of 17,000 expected to witness the contest.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(6).jpg
(Because if there's one thing we need more of in 1941, it's darkness.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(7).jpg

(Listen, how do I get in touch with D. L.? I could use a visit.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(8).jpg
(Leona says "well, at least *I* was never THIS bad!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(9).jpg
("Yessireee, Dan!" shouts Irwin. "Gallopin' goldfish! I'll sit right here by the phone!" Irwin then hangs up, leans back in his chair, and picks up his newspaper. "Lessee now. Three letter word for 'corpulent...'")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_.jpg
"Look, let's wrap this trial up easy. Will anyone who ISN'T on the take please raise your hand?"

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(1).jpg
Just four more days, that's all. Four more days.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(2).jpg

Regular Dead End Kid, ain'cha Barry?

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(3).jpg
Yeah, well, watch out for dinosaurs.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(4).jpg

Orrrrrrrrr you could just SHOOT him.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(5).jpg

Yeah, Adolphe Menjou and Robert Taylor here should talk.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(6).jpg
"Well then," says Dude, "I shouldn't have any trouble at all volunteering for a suicide mission."

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(7).jpg
HAZE THE NEW KID!

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(8).jpg
The best-adjusted married couple in the funnies.

Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(9).jpg
"Hey Kids! Comics!"

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Rosailand Russell was gorgeous. I gift Christmas stockings stuffed with film cds for the office gals
and included The Trouble With Angels last year with her and Haley Mills. Gals loved this classic directed
by Ida Lupino who could out direct all the males of her generation hands down. I don't know if Lupino
ever received a directorial Oscar but if not the Academy should honor her memory with an honorary
posthumous award.

The article concerning the lawyer who beat his secretary to death and his cop plea for manslaughter
frankly disgusts me; presumably evidentiary issues or other cause forced prosecution's hand,
perhaps not.... Many moons ago I almost entered the Oklahoma City DA office but a similar scenario
arose and I shut the door. Murder Once deserves Murder Once and if the Model Penal Code was writ
so to objectify the subjective often found in criminal law, use it. And serve Justice. (sorry for the rant)

...In Bendix, New Jersey 2100 helmeted soldiers under the command of President Roosevelt seized control of the Air Associates Inc. plant, setting up machine guns at all entrances, and declaring that they were there to "supervise production" on defense orders totalling $5,000,000. Military authorities ordered all workers, strikers and strikebreakers to leave the plant at once and to remain at home to "await instructions." Troops from Fort Hancock, Fort Hamilton, Fort Jay, Governor's Island, and Fort Wadsworth made up the force commandeering the plant. United Auto Workers officials indicated that they will await instructions from Colonel Roy M. Jones, now in command of the plant, on when to report back to work. There was no statement of cooperation from non-striking workers. Refusal by non-union men to work alongside UAW men had precipitated incidents of violence leading up to the President's order Federalizing the plant....

This is interesting.

(Yeah, but are they endorsed by Leo Durocher, Dorothy Kilgallen, and Jinx Falkenburg? Huh? Are they?)...

I will use almost any excuse to post a pic of one of my Page Four favorites, the incredibly named Jinx Falkenburg:
54182466.jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(3).jpg
(Well, if Dressen goes to Cleveland, why not give Miss Patrick a chance?)...

While neither group will starve, I bet the average Yankee make a multiple of what the average screenwriter does today.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(5).jpg
(And note the odds chart. There's a reason why college football is such a big deal, and you'll find it in the back room of any candy store.)...

Growing up in the 1970s, the major networks had oddsmakers on their pre-game football shows all the time. It was weird as they never mentioned gambling or that people were betting on these games, but why did they have a segment on the odds if they weren't?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(9).jpg ("Yessireee, Dan!" shouts Irwin. "Gallopin' goldfish! I'll sit right here by the phone!" Irwin then hangs up, leans back in his chair, and picks up his newspaper. "Lessee now. Three letter word for 'corpulent...'")

"I'm guessing 'heavy-set'."
"I repeat, three letters."
"Oh, 'big'?"
"Nope, middle letter is an 'A'."
"I'm stumped - I think it's 'big' and the other word is wrong."
"You're a great help with these, Fitz, thanks a lot. The word is obviously 'F..."
[Cutting in] "Don't say it. I got it, it's 'FAB' short for fabulous."
[Sighing as he puts the paper down] "How's the knee doing?"
"Not bad, thank you for asking. The doctors says I should just keep my weig...umm...not put too much stress on it yet."

... Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_.jpg "Look, let's wrap this trial up easy. Will anyone who ISN'T on the take please raise your hand?"...

:)

... Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(3).jpg Yeah, well, watch out for dinosaurs....

Or for it quickly filling with water.

... Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(4).jpg
Orrrrrrrrr you could just SHOOT him....

Once again,

The Fedora Lounge Rulebook for Killing a TV, Movie or Comic-Strip Enemy, which states: "Always kill your enemy as fast as you can and, then, check carefully to make sure he or she is dead."

... Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(5).jpg
Yeah, Adolphe Menjou and Robert Taylor here should talk.

You really don't like Robert Taylor, do you?
robert-taylor-1911-1969-us-film-actor-about-1938-DYDXMB.jpg

Wouldn't $10,000 or, if really necessary, $100,000 have been plenty to get the same response from the public? This is Andy we're talking about here.

...[ Daily_News_Fri__Oct_31__1941_(9)-2.jpg "Hey Kids! Comics!"

So, are those what they call "step ins?"

Rosailand Russell was gorgeous. I gift Christmas stockings stuffed with film cds for the office gals
and included The Trouble With Angels last year with her and Haley Mills. Gals loved this classic directed
by Ida Lupino who could out direct all the males of her generation hands down. I don't know if Lupino
ever received a directorial Oscar but if not the Academy should honor her memory with an honorary
posthumous award.

The article concerning the lawyer who beat his secretary to death and his cop plea for manslaughter
frankly disgusts me; presumably evidentiary issues or other cause forced prosecution's hand,
perhaps not.... Many moons ago I almost entered the Oklahoma City DA office but a similar scenario
arose and I shut the door. Murder Once deserves Murder Once and if the Model Penal Code was writ
so to objectify the subjective often found in criminal law, use it. And serve Justice. (sorry for the rant)

Another Russell fan here. And an Ida Lupino one too - an impressive woman and good looking as all heck.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago I had a New York Times on line tab and one lazy afternoon found an article on
Ida Lupino in the film section or whatever, and her photo-indescribably beautiful woman-stopped me cold.
The phone rang. A buddy called to let me know there was an Ida lUpino article in the Times with her pix.
Cupid's arrow flies and stings like hell.;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hope is waning today for the recovery of 77 crewmen missing from the torpedoed American destroyer Reuben James. Forty-four enlisted men are so far known to be safe out of 121 officers and men who formed the crew of the first US vessel to be lost in this war. Among the missing are the vessel's skipper, Lt. Commander Heywood L. Edwards, and the six other officers on board. American warships and planes continue to scour the icy waters of the North Atlantic west of Iceland, where the Reuben James was sunk in a submarine attack Tuesday night. The identities of the forty-four survivors have not yet been revealed by the Navy Department, nor has any explanation yet been given of how they were rescued.

The German army today, aided by a strong Luftwaffe attack, are reported to have taken an important heavily-defended town north of Moscow. While Nazi reports do not name that town, it is believed that it may be Volokolamsk. The Moscow radio, monitored in London, stated that German forces are pounding heavily into the Tula and Volokolamsk sectors of the Moscow front. It is also reported that Nazi air raiders are hammering at Soviet communication lines, in an apparent effort to cut off the route for British and American supplies to the Red Army.

Democratic leaders today made an upward revision of their pre-election estimates as the mayoral campaign of District Attorney William O'Dwyer reached a crucial stage. Last night, Governor Herbert H. Lehman blistered Mayor LaGuardia from the stage of the Academy of Music, in an address in which the state's chief executive virtually read the Mayor out of office. Speaking at the traditional end-of-the-campaign rally before a highly partisan Democratic audience, the Governor accused Mr. LaGuardia of committing "shameless and sinister attacks" against him, and declared that those public statements, "regardless of any other circumstances have shown him unworthy of being Mayor of the City of New York." "Impeach him!" came a cry from the audience as the Governor continued his condemnation of the Mayor. "Throw him out!" came another.

In the wake of the rally, Kings County Democratic leader Frank Kelly predicted that Mr. O'Dwyer will take Brooklyn in Tuesday's vote, by a plurality of from 100,000 to 150,000 votes. Such a plurality, according to neutral observers, would be sufficient to ensure the election of the Democratic ticket.

Mayor LaGuardia last night struck back at District Attorney O'Dwyer's assertion that the LaGuardia Administration enabled the rise of the Murder for Money gang in Brooklyn by releasing the text of a report sent to Governor Lehman in 1938 by Commissioner of Investigation William B. Herlands alleging corruption in the office of then-Kings County District Attorney William F. X. Geoghan, especially in the "irregular" methods by which grand jurors were appointed, with "political considerations" a critical factor in making such appointments. It was also charged in the Herland report that an assistant district attorney in Brooklyn had been asked to resign because he had sought to prosecute "a powerful underworld figure," that the prosecution of abortion cases were known to be "fixed," and that substitutes were widely permitted to appear in the place of actual defendants in the prosecution of policy and bookmaking cases. The report by Mr. Herlands led directly to the appointment of Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen as a special investigator of corruption in Brooklyn, and the Mayor asserted that its findings exonerate his own administration and that of Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine of any responsibility for such corruption. "Mr. Geoghan and his staff, hand picked by the Kelly machne," charged the Mayor, "were the real cause of the existence of that rotten combination -- Politics Inc. and Crime Inc." The Mayor will wrap up his campaign tonight with a city-wide rally at Madison Square Garden, mustering the full force of the Republican, American Labor, Fusion, and United City parties, all of whom have nominated Mr. LaGuardia as their candidate.

Former District Attorney William F. X. Geoghan today responded to Mayor LaGuardia's release of the Herlands report by charging that it was the Mayor himself who hampered his law-enforcement activities in the borough from 1934 to 1939. Mr. Geoghan noted that his office obtained 210 murder convictions during those years, "despite the numerous obstacles that the Mayor, the Commissioner of Investigations, and the Budget Director placed in my way."

The accused German spy charged with furnishing plans for the top-secret Norden Bombsight to the Gestapo will continue testimony today in Brooklyn Federal Court, after nearly collapsing on the witness stand yesterday. Herman Lang of Glendale, an employee of the Carl I. Norden Inc. firm which manufactures the apparatus in Ridgewood, has spent much of the time since his arrest in June in an observation ward at Kings County Hospital, and yesterday forced a five-minute recess in testimony when he burst into tears on the witness stand.

78,000 persons are expected to brave the rain today at Yankee Stadium for the traditional Army-Notre Dame football game. The Irish enter the game as favorites, but the wet field conditions have already caused the odds to drop. Both teams enter the 1:30 pm contest with unbeaten records, and with Army not having won the annual matchup since 1931, excitement is running high. The game has been sold out for weeks, and there is much anticipation that this may be the year that Army throws Frank Leahy's squad "back on the seat of its new gold nylon football panties."

Repair work on 14 US and British merchant ships resumes today at the Robins Dry Dock & Repair Company in Erie Basin, following settlement of a five-day strike. Company officials and CIO union leaders agreed yesterday to resume negotiations on the matter of a closed shop, after agreeing to a new wage scale paying a basic rate for laborers of 72 1/2 cents an hour.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_.jpg

(I have a theory that Helen Worth and Dr. Brady are the same person, and that whoever they are, they're having a really good time.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(2).jpg

("Look, you didn't even take off the 'Davega' tag!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(3).jpg

("Jeez!" says Ray Robinson. "What do I have to do to get MY picture in the paper???")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(4).jpg
(More night games isn't all Mr. Barnes of the Browns is fighting for. He is, at this very moment, making desperate plans to shift his tattered franchise to Los Angeles.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(5).jpg
(Ah, 1941. A time when concert singers and opera stars are popular mainstream personalities, when people accept that George Jessel is a great and beloved entertainer because everyone says that George Jessel is a great and beloved entertainer, and when over at the News, the Page Four editor is already sharpening his pencil for the return of Miss Lois DeFee.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(6).jpg

(Viewed objectively, most of the BMI songs to flutter out over the air over the past year are mediocre on about the same level as most ASCAP songs are mediocre -- generic three-chorus-with-a-vocal pop stuff that have their day and then disappear. But there are also *great* ASCAP songs that have proven that they'll live forever, and so far there have been no BMI songs that rise to that level. Well, OK, maybe "The Hut Sut Song," but name another one...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(7).jpg
("Now -- let's get busy and invent fluorescent posters!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(8).jpg
(Well, jeez, whatta you expect for a nickel. And knowing George, it's probably a counterfeit nickel.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(9).jpg

(Annnnnd they're off!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(10).jpg
(I wonder what Axis spymasters do when they go on vacation?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_.jpg

Opera's no field for the fragile.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(1).jpg

Mr. Johnson isn't going to wait for Thanksgiving this year.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(2).jpg
Fascinating.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(3).jpg

Because you just can't have a nice quiet flight.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(4).jpg
Airplane? You're gonna need an autogyro.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(5).jpg
ORRRRR YOU COULD JUST SHOOT HIM!!!!!!

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(6).jpg

Well, I mean, after all, Walt raised him from the time he was THREE DAYS OLD. Doesn't that count for ANYTHING with you, Doc?

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(7).jpg
You'd think amnesia would make Andy forget how to be a chump.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(8).jpg

Yeah, better sleep in today. You don't know what's out there.

Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(9).jpg

Never mind the plot, Moon will be the envy of Hollywood Boulevard in that sport coat.

...substitutes were widely permitted to appear in the place of actual defendants in the prosecution of policy and bookmaking cases....

"Imagine."
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(3).jpg
("Jeez!" says Ray Robinson. "What do I have to do to get MY picture in the paper???")...

Maybe a cool nickname would help. I don't know, since "Boo-Boom" is taken, maybe something about how nice you are out of the ring. Just a thought.

... View attachment 374872 (More night games isn't all Mr. Barnes of the Browns is fighting for. He is, at this very moment, making desperate plans to shift his tattered franchise to Los Angeles.)...

Today, I understand why, during the week, the World Series games are played at night, but would it kill them to put one on during the day on the weekend?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(5).jpg (Ah, 1941. A time when concert singers and opera stars are popular mainstream personalities, when people accept that George Jessel is a great and beloved entertainer because everyone says that George Jessel is a great and beloved entertainer, and when over at the News, the Page Four editor is already sharpening his pencil for the return of Miss Lois DeFee.)...

Considering what we already know about Valley Stream's indifferent relationship to clothing, one can only imagine what goes on in the cars at a Valley Stream drive-in theater.

...(Viewed objectively, most of the BMI songs to flutter out over the air over the past year are mediocre on about the same level as most ASCAP songs are mediocre -- generic three-chorus-with-a-vocal pop stuff that have their day and then disappear. But there are also *great* ASCAP songs that have proven that they'll live forever, and so far there have been no BMI songs that rise to that level. Well, OK, maybe "The Hut Sut Song," but name another one...)...)

I have no doubt what you say is spot on, but sadly it seems that ASCAP, basically, lost this battle as the public didn't appear to miss its music enough to force the broadcasters to pay up to get it back.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(10).jpg (I wonder what Axis spymasters do when they go on vacation?)

They open numbered bank accounts in Argentina.

... Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(3).jpg
Because you just can't have a nice quiet flight.....

Sorry Terry, but you missed your opportunity with both Hu Shee and Burma to really change. Pat is not going to find it interesting that you grew half an inch.

... Daily_News_Sat__Nov_1__1941_(4).jpg Airplane? You're gonna need an autogyro.....

For a successful international tycoon, Warbucks is a whiner and quitter. My God, how'd he ever succeed in business?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I was going to post a germane Norden Bombsight Brooklyn Spy trial calculus comment regarding the state
of 1940s mathematics relevant to supersonic speed calculation and the inability of humans to sum the equation
and square the corners, but then I chanced across Lois Defee Queen of the Amazons and Margie Kelly America's
Most Gorgeous Blonde
in Star Follies with the fastest girlie show in town and lost my thoughts....:confused:o_O;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran