Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only one of our young people who should even be thinking about marriage right now is Skeezix - and even he has a certain immaturity, especially when it comes to hanging around with dubious influences, that he needs to lose before he's really ready to go ahead with it. I think Nina is more mature than he is, but neither of them is really ready. But I have a feeling that the Army will end up settling the question for both of them.

Goofy and Harold shouldn't even wait to get drafted. GO NOW.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
General Douglas MacArthur's men have beaten back two more "determined" Japanese attacks in Batan, according to War Department reports, and U. S. warplanes have sunk two Japanese lighters in operations for the defense of the Dutch West Indies. The latter report marks the first time the War Department has officially acknowledged that US air power has joined with the Dutch in combined efforts to keep the rich oil and rubber territories of the East Indies out of Japanese control. On Luzon, where MacArthur's forces are fighting to turn their Batan-Corregidor positions into "an American Tobruk," the Japanese thrust hard against the American lines but were twice beaten off, with heavy losses reported inflicted. The War Department characterized these thrusts as exploratory in nature, attempts by the Japanese to find weak spots in the American line against which a subsequent primary thrust could be delivered.

Dutch land and air forces went into action in Netherlands, British, and American territories today in the South Seas, in a triple offensive against Japanese forces on Tarakan Island, Borneo, and the Philippines. Forces going on the attack on the Sarawak frontier in British Borneo reported 18 Japanese soldiers killed, with the loss of only one Netherlander.

Donald M. Nelson will be given the freedom to "write his own ticket" as head of the new War Production Board, with White House press secretary Stephen Early stating that President Roosevelt's Executive Order formalizing the new board to be worded in confirmation with "Mr. Nelson's wishes." The former executive of Sears, Roebuck and Company will take his place as the "supreme generalissimo" of American industrial war production, with broad powers to control all phases of procurement and manufacturing. The WPB will supersede the Supply, Priorities, and Allocations Board, which itself superseded the Office of Production Management last August.

Mayor LaGuardia has handed the question of his continuation as head of the Office of Civil Defense, as Mayor of New York, or both to President Roosevelt to decide. The Mayor, speaking before the House Migratory Labor Committee in Washington today, indicated that he would be willing to resign from the OCD or as Mayor if the President instructed him to do so, or keep both jobs, or resign both jobs to go into active service in the Army. The Mayor served as a major in the Army Air Corps during the last war, but at age 59 is beyond the present limits for military service.

New cars will be rationed in the same manner as tires, under a plan put forward by Federal Price Administrator Leon Henderson. Under that plan 614,000 to 675,000 1942 model autos seized by the Government last month will be released for civilian sale under heavy restriction, with the cars to be released only to persons with a demonstrated need, as determined by 5000 local defense councils. A share of the 204,000 cars manufactured this month until production was halted by Federal order will be impounded and frozen from distribution for at least a year. to provide for future needs.

Meanwhile, Mr. Henderson took time off today from price administrating to demonstrate the new "Victory Model" bicycle for newsreel men. The price administrator wheeled back and forth up and down the Mall near the Capitol steps with his stenographer perched in the bicycle's basket. The "Victory Bike" is a special stripped-down model with no unnecessary accessories or decorative frills, and is the only model of bicycle permitted to be manufactured under present regulations.

All civilian production of radios will be cut thirty percent, effective immediately, and will be terminated entirely within "a couple of months" under new OPM regulations. No hardship is anticipated, with an adequate stock of receivers remaining in stores, and parts for repairs of existing sets in ample supply.

In Newark, New Jersey, a prominent real estate man and churchman has filed to annul his marriage to an alleged swindler. Seventy year old J. Clarence Carr, chairman of the trustees of the Roseville Methodist Church, took steps to end the marriage after he was advised by FBI agents that his wife, 66-year-old Amelia Carr, has been arrested twenty times and has served several prison terms for defrauding various persons out of large sums of money. Mr. Carr was said to be "disillusioned" as he filed the annullment papers.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_.jpg

("Howcome when t'ey t'row money aroun'," wonders Joe, "t'ey neveh t'row it aroun' heah?" "Boerum Hill," says Sally. "Fulla rummies. Read ya papeh. Now, Flatbush on t'utta han...")

Joe Louis is well along toward taking his place as a private in the Army. The heavyweight champ is to be processed today at Camp Upton, with his formal swearing-in to be followed by fingerprinting, given a mental test, and lectures about the articles of war, sex hygiene, military courtesy, and post regulations. He is to be given a special pass to deliver a series of radio talks in Manhattan tonight, but will be required to be back in camp tomorrow, where he will be given inoculations and issued his equipment for six weeks of basic training.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(1).jpg
(Shoulda brought your woollies.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(2).jpg

(The really good Hitler jokes you can't print.)

Dr. Brady announces he has abandoned his campaign against enriched flour, and now urges all his readers to eat enriched flour. He would prefer you eat only whole wheat flour, but even though enriched white flour is "an inadequate compromise with the evil," the fact that whole wheat flour doesn't keep as well as the enriched white makes the latter an acceptable compromise in these times of national emergency.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(3).jpg
(Woolley and Mary Wickes, as Nurse Preen, are the only members of the Broadway cast to appear in the film. Miss Wickes will enjoy a long, long career in movies and later on television playing exactly the same character everywhere.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(4).jpg

("In fact, she's now the shop steward down on the production line!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(5).jpg

(What it really boils down to is that Ed Barrow despises Larry MacPhail, and if Larry is in favor of anything, Eddie is against it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(6).jpg

(Hey, I've got one of those swimming-fish lampshades!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(7).jpg
(Mr. Tuthill has a new assistant doing the lettering who is really putting in an effort.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(8).jpg
(Gotta case the joint first.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(9).jpg
("Well, most of the crew is dead, but at least we survived. So -- do you know how to drive this thing?" "Wait, I thought you did. You're the one in the turtleneck sweater!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the Newspaper with the Second Highest Circulation in America...

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_.jpg

Go ahead, poke him again.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(3).jpg
We don't get any of the Hearst strips in any of our papers, but as you can see, the ad isn't fooling. We see here Jiggs and Maggie, Barney Google, Popeye, Blondie and Dagwood, Flash Gordon, Skippy, Mac from "Tillie the Toiler," Casper from "Toots and Casper," and Snuffy Smith. See, Trib, this is how you do clip art.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(1).jpg
I mean, seriously -- who's "Big Mump?"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(2).jpg
"I know all about eloping! Be right back with Mr. Mengel's butcher van!"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(4).jpg
If we're about to head down a very dark road, I for one am all for it.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(5).jpg
"Um, so we're going to have to sit outdoors in the middle of February out behind all those broken-down garages with all the rusty car parts and old tires and empty bottles? Gee, that'll be swell. Guess there aren't any -- ah -- nice hotel ballrooms or anything you could rent?"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(6).jpg

I don't know what's more wonderful here, Emmy throwing an encyclopedia volume across the room or Moon sitting on an old car seat set up in the middle of the parlor.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(7).jpg

If you look real close, you can make out that his real name is "Samuel Pincus." "HEY!" yells Pvt. Solly. "IZZAT NICE???"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(8).jpg

She's gone back east to settle that hash-house bill she walked out on in 1912.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(9).jpg
Point of order: wouldn't he have suffocated by now?

...In Newark, New Jersey, a prominent real estate man and churchman has filed to annul his marriage to an alleged swindler. Seventy year old J. Clarence Carr, chairman of the trustees of the Roseville Methodist Church, took steps to end the marriage after he was advised by FBI agents that his wife, 66-year-old Amelia Carr, has been arrested twenty times and has served several prison terms for defrauding various persons out of large sums of money. Mr. Carr was said to be "disillusioned" as he filed the annullment papers....

How long have they been married?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(3).jpg (Woolley and Mary Wickes, as Nurse Preen, are the only members of the Broadway cast to appear in the film. Miss Wickes will enjoy a long, long career in movies and later on television playing exactly the same character everywhere.)...

Didn't Cohn already do a full review of "The Man Who Came to Dinner?"

Re Ms. Wickes, agreed, and much like Thelma Ritter, her appearance pigeon holed her, but she did a heck of a job in her space.

And from the Newspaper with the Second Highest Circulation in America......

And the one with the highest circulation in '42 is?

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_.jpg
Go ahead, poke him again....

Hard to believe the Germans hung on until '45 in the East.

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(2)-2.jpg "I know all about eloping! Be right back with Mr. Mengel's butcher van!"...

FACE-EATING D..(checks notes) DOUBLE ELOPEMENT! DOUBLE ELOPEMENT! DOUBLE ELOPEMENT!

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Jan_14__1942_(7).jpg
If you look real close, you can make out that his real name is "Samuel Pincus." "HEY!" yells Pvt. Solly. "IZZAT NICE???"...

Poor Solly.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The highest circulation in 1942 is, of course, the Daily News. Over 2 million copies of the weekday edition, and over three million of the Sunday News. It's hard to comprehend figures like that in 2022, but in 1942, they haven't even peaked yet.

I think Mr. Cohn really really liked "The Man Who Came To Dinner." He isn't often wildly enthusiastic about any picture, but he really likes this one. I wonder what he'd be like to have as an unexpected houseguest?

And out at Camp Upton, Pvt. Solly Pincus is interrupted in his fuming by the bellowing of a sergeant. "HEY YOU! YAHDBOID! Put away t'em funny papehs an' get on wit' t'em patatas! I'll teach you ta try an' slip t'em funny dice in a game!" Pvt. Pincus sighs, realizes he's only got another week of basic training left, and gets on with his peeling.

The highest circulation in 1942 is, of course, the Daily News. Over 2 million copies of the weekday edition, and over three million of the Sunday News. It's hard to comprehend figures like that in 2022, but in 1942, they haven't even peaked yet.

I think Mr. Cohn really really liked "The Man Who Came To Dinner." He isn't often wildly enthusiastic about any picture, but he really likes this one. I wonder what he'd be like to have as an unexpected houseguest?

And out at Camp Upton, Pvt. Solly Pincus is interrupted in his fuming by the bellowing of a sergeant. "HEY YOU! YAHDBOID! Put away t'em funny papehs an' get on wit' t'em patatas! I'll teach you ta try an' slip t'em funny dice in a game!" Pvt. Pincus sighs, realizes he's only got another week of basic training left, and gets on with his peeling.

Oops, you had just told us that about the Daily News.

Good on Cohn - he got a classic correct right out of the shoot.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The highest circulation in 1942 is, of course, the Daily News. Over 2 million copies of the weekday edition, and over three million of the Sunday News. It's hard to comprehend figures like that in 2022, but in 1942, they haven't even peaked yet..

Before the internet the Tribune admittedly was more a newspaper of some prominence than today,
with informative ubiquity avail, changing public tastes, and various sundries attention deficit disordered-
priorities otherwise, ka sera sera whatever. Yesterday's stuff, read journalist reportage, commentary,
and writing very top tier. When a kid I admired gentlemen like Cronkite, Murrow, Edwards, Collingwood,
Trout, Smith, Severied and others whose medium was broadcast primarily. In this thread renewed
comics acquaintance especially with Caniff is icing atop memories. All is serious literature, and I regret
kids today are missing so much of what I once took for granted.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_.jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(1).jpg

(And suddenly the war is that much closer to home.)

The Red Army thrust suddenly and ferociously against the German armies of the Ukraine and the Crimea, smashing into the German front extending 200 miles from Orel thru Kharkov to the shores of the Sea of Azov, as, in the north, the Soviet armies of Moscow and Leningrad continued to strike tirelessly at the retreating Germans. It is reported that not only have the Soviets landed new, strong forces on the Crimea with the potential for trapping an estimated seven Nazi divisions totalling 100,000 men, but have also successfully landed a shock force west of Tagarog, where the Germans had made a long stand along the Mius River.

Strengthened British defenses today turned back a heavy Japanese aerial attack against the Singapore area, destroying several enemy raiders. The renewed attacks came as British Imperial forces strove to throw back the Japanese offensive against Malacca and Johore, about 100 miles north of Singapore. British planes chased two squadrons of Japanese bombers from Singapore, and two Japanese planes were reported downed in the attack.

A little candy store in Williamsburg, which has seen all its old regulars leave the neighborhood for the Army, has become an unofficial adjunct of the USO. At Ben Burgus's shop at 310 Marcy Avenue, once the clubhouse for throngs of youths stopping for after-school sodas and gossip, an impressive bulletin board hangs next to the telephone booth bearing the names and photographs of regular patrons now in uniform, and young Moe Kaufman, one of the few regulars who remains behind, recently organized a drive to send "goodie boxes" of candy, cigars, cigarettes, and other treats to the absent boys. "The boys around here talk tough," observes proprietor Burgus, who served two hitches in the Army himself, "but that ain't the way they feel."

(Calling it now -- future "Harold Teen" storyline!)

Ordinary "sensible" peacetime methods of doing business will be junked for a system that may bring charges of "insanity" from the old-timers. That's the warning of Donald M. Nelson, newly appointed head of the newly established War Production Board. Mr. Nelson, formerly a high executive with a prominent mail order house, is pledging to require industry to adopt "so many new ideas it'll make your hair curl." Speaking in Vincennes, Indiana, Mr. Nelson declared that if victory is to result, "we need to be cracked enough, so to speak, to try to do things that sensible men would not try to do under ordinary circumstances. There can be no more halfway measures, no more maybes, buts and ifs, in the war against Hitler because failure in this job, let me remind you again, is equivalent to national death."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(1).jpg

(Less Work For Mother so she can make her shift at the Navy Yard.)

Progress is leading the way on every front of war production -- even when it comes to the humble doughnut. The hand-made sinkers of the First World War have given way to machine-made cakes, cranked out by the hundreds in Brooklyn's Salvation Army kitchens and served all over the city at the newly-opened USO service clubs. This industrial doughnut of 1942 is ranked in every way the superior of its sometimes lumpy, sometimes soggy predecessor of 1918.

Carnegie Hall was jumping last night in a manner unaccustomed as Mr. Fats Waller took full command of that austere establishment's stage in a combined piano and organ recital. Fats gave out with his usual jive, but also offered the longhairs their due with a rococo performance of themes drawn from Tchiakovsky and Gershwin. The audience, however, seemed to much prefer the usual Waller stuff, and swayed rapturously to his performance of "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter," and a full-scale jam session during which Fats was joined by Gene Krupa, Bud Freeman, Eddie Condon, Pee Wee Russell, Max Kaminsky, and John Kirby.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(2).jpg

(Bobby Clark, a loud lowbrow stage comic, who usually cavorts in a bell-shaped coat with glasses painted onto his face, doing Restoration comedy -- and doing it very very well. What a time to be alive.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(3).jpg

("Here's your helmet, your armband, and your whistle. The rest of the money? Handling charges.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(4).jpg

(C'mon, Parrott -- squawk! Exactly what did Mr. McDonald say??? And there's a transcription of this? Why haven't I heard it?? And speaking of bizarre statements, Phelps saying "Leo is a swell guy?" He's sicker than we thought.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(5).jpg

(I bet Calvin Haralson appreciates the plug.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(6).jpg

(He's a process server. See you in court!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(7).jpg
(Bill's been listening to Fulton Lewis again.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(8).jpg

(Still can't get those swastikas right.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the National Capital of the Essentially American Spirit...

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(1).jpg

And you thought the Eagle made it all up.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(2).jpg

Jack gets no respect, not even from the clip-art guy.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(6).jpg

Once again, Mr. Clark shows his absolute mastery of the captured moment.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_.jpg
Some people just shouldn't use shoulder holsters.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(3).jpg

"Hope Tops will be there. The bum still owes me money."

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(4).jpg
Not quite as scary as that weird old lady with the candy store, but a good try.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(5).jpg
Tsk. The gag works much better if Mamie says "table tennis" instead of ping pong.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(7).jpg

Two weeks? How time flies.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(8).jpg

Is this actually how caissons work? Is there a sandhog in the house?

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(9).jpg
"Ha," laughs Lillums. "Did I ever tell you about the time Harold and I tried to elope, and the rattle-brained hepcat forgot the license? What's wrong, Goofy, why are you choking like that?"

...A little candy store in Williamsburg, which has seen all its old regulars leave the neighborhood for the Army, has become an unofficial adjunct of the USO. At Ben Burgus's shop at 310 Marcy Avenue, once the clubhouse for throngs of youths stopping for after-school sodas and gossip, an impressive bulletin board hangs next to the telephone booth bearing the names and photographs of regular patrons now in uniform, and young Moe Kaufman, one of the few regulars who remains behind, recently organized a drive to send "goodie boxes" of candy, cigars, cigarettes, and other treats to the absent boys. "The boys around here talk tough," observes proprietor Burgus, who served two hitches in the Army himself, "but that ain't the way they feel."

(Calling it now -- future "Harold Teen" storyline!)...

Were there any candy stores in the 1940s that were just candy stores? I'd be quite disappointed to time travel to the 1940s and not be able to get some action down on the ponies or, at least, "play the numbers" in a Brooklyn candy store. And if I got really lucky, I could hire someone to, umm, rub somebody out (if Turkus hadn't already locked all those guys up) as I bought my Hershey bar.

...Ordinary "sensible" peacetime methods of doing business will be junked for a system that may bring charges of "insanity" from the old-timers. That's the warning of Donald M. Nelson, newly appointed head of the newly established War Production Board. Mr. Nelson, formerly a high executive with a prominent mail order house, is pledging to require industry to adopt "so many new ideas it'll make your hair curl." Speaking in Vincennes, Indiana, Mr. Nelson declared that if victory is to result, "we need to be cracked enough, so to speak, to try to do things that sensible men would not try to do under ordinary circumstances. There can be no more halfway measures, no more maybes, buts and ifs, in the war against Hitler because failure in this job, let me remind you again, is equivalent to national death."...

To this day, this guy could make a good living on the corporate-retreat-motivational-speaking circuit. I'd swear I heard that paragraph, only slightly tweaked, more than once at some company "offsite" where we were encouraged to go back and "be bold," "think new," blah, blah, blah.

...Carnegie Hall was jumping last night in a manner unaccustomed as Mr. Fats Waller took full command of that austere establishment's stage in a combined piano and organ recital. Fats gave out with his usual jive, but also offered the longhairs their due with a rococo performance of themes drawn from Tchiakovsky and Gershwin. The audience, however, seemed to much prefer the usual Waller stuff, and swayed rapturously to his performance of "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter," and a full-scale jam session during which Fats was joined by Gene Krupa, Bud Freeman, Eddie Condon, Pee Wee Russell, Max Kaminsky, and John Kirby....

If you were time traveling in the '40s, after the candy store, taking in this show would be a good use of your time.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(2).jpg
(Bobby Clark, a loud lowbrow stage comic, who usually cavorts in a bell-shaped coat with glasses painted onto his face, doing Restoration comedy -- and doing it very very well. What a time to be alive.)...

Cohn got another one right as "Two-Faced Woman" is a hot mess of a movie worth seeing only because it is Garbo's last performance. She's enjoyable in it as it's not her fault the material is awful. (My comments on it here: #28625)

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(8).jpg
(Still can't get those swastikas right.)

Marsh does love the battle scene - you can see him teeing up the next one right now.

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(6).jpg
Once again, Mr. Clark shows his absolute mastery of the captured moment....

Agreed, he's an incredible combination of illustrating and writing talent who very much understands his medium. It's a shame that, with the death of papers, these type of artists no longer have the audience they once had.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_-2.jpg Some people just shouldn't use shoulder holsters....

When Pat's punking Sammy like this, he's channeling is inner Bogie from "The Maltese Falcon:"

Spade: I hope you're not letting yourself be influenced by the guns these pocket-edition desperadoes are waving around, because I've practiced taking guns from these boys before; so we'll have no trouble there.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(3).jpg
"Hope Tops will be there. The bum still owes me money."...

When he says, "I'll fly back home," I assume he's using "fly" to mean speed and not literally take an airplane as flying home would seem to be way outside of the budget and even thought process of someone like him in 1942.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(4).jpg Not quite as scary as that weird old lady with the candy store, but a good try....

There's an echo here of April Kane escaping the warlord's harem.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_15__1942_(7).jpg
Two weeks? How time flies....

She can't just do "her training when no rival clockers are around," it doesn't work that way.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Garbo and Grable, two lovely ladies timeless in exquisite femininity, grace, elegance, and beauty.
----------
Speaking of candy store contractuals, just three days out of service back home in a Chicago
biz establishment I missed a mob hit by a cool fifteen minutes. A very sloppy job from later reading.
Sicilian lupara used, a shotgun adaptation carried by locals. Now the IRA would do a .357 Magnum with
a potato stuck barrel-spud silencers are quiet and allow for the proverbial left kneecap before regular
mail delivery to skull. Irish skullduggery only costs two rounds and quick about it lad.
---------
Lizzie,
Pleaz discard the Mac-n-cheese intro. WGN is preferable to Col M's sloaganshannanigans.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Navy today ran its bag of Japanese warships, transports, and supply ships up to 24, with the sinking of five more vessels in the Far East, as Gen. Douglas MacArthur's men fought off a fierce assault of special Japanese shock troops, attack planes, and dive bombers. The new sinkings were achieved by units of the U. S. Asiatic Fleet, according to a Navy communique, which indicated that surface warships may have participated in the attack on Japan's tenuous sea lanes, which are vital to her operation of campaigns over thousands of miles of ocean. Most of the previous sinkings have been acheived by submarines, naval aircraft, and the Marine defenders of Wake Island.

Meanwhile, the latest Army communique reported that MacArthur's men are undergoing "incessant attack" by Japanese land and air forces in Batan, attacks which, according to the communique, have "reached a new peak of fury." The report did not indicate how well US forces are standing up under the assault.

British Imperial forces led by hard-fighting Australians are "doing a magnificent job" checking the enemy along the entire Malaysian front, according to their chief commander, Major General Henry Gordon Bennett. Gen. Bennett emphasized that the Australians are fighting to "delay and destroy" the enemy rather than to hold a firm line along the front, and indicated that by their efforts, the Japanese offensive has been delayed at least 24 hours.

A second Allied merchant ship of "foreign registry" but undisclosed nationality and tonnage has been attacked and presumably sunk by an enemy submarine operating off the Long Island coast. The reports of a second sinking had circulated since yesterday before confirmation of the attack was released by Navy authorities. Naval patrols are ranging along the Atlantic seaboard in a shoot-to-kill search for Nazi U-Boat activity.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_.jpg

("Well," figures Joe, "we might lose, lessee, Reiseh, Pee Weet, Higsby, Casey, an' Cookie. Camilli, he's gettin' old, Medwick, he's gettin' old, Dixie's gettin' old AN' he's gotta bad back, Wyatt's gettin' old, Davis awready *IS* old, an'nen, well, Fitz..." "Don't f'get HOIMAN," growls Sally. "He's old! OLD OLD OLD!" "Vaughan ain'nat old t'ough," muses Joe, as Sally mumbles something uncharitable.)

The War Department today branded as "utterly false" a "whispering campaign" circulating in Brooklyn claiming that the bodies of 1500 soldiers killed at Pearl Harbor had arrived in the borough "without coffins," and that "help was needed." A War Department spokesman indicated that numerous phone calls have been received at Army headquarters in Brooklyn, to the point where a public denial of the rumor is necessary.

Forty leather-covered chairs have been removed from the terminal at LaGuardia Field after vandals slashed them with a razor. Dock Department workers removing the chairs would make no statement concerning the incident, but observers noted that a swastika design had been slashed into two of the chairs.

Two men who were arrested after a detective spotted them rolling a new automobile tire down Atlantic Avenue have been sentenced to two days in jail on a disorderly conduct conviction. Thirty-one year old James Price of 132 New York Avenue and 57-year-old John Rowland of 57 Kent Avenue had been suspected of stealing the tire, but Detective Harry Hansen, the arresting officer, was unable to determine the owner of the tire and no theft had been reported.

Automobile use tax stamps which must be affixed to all motor vehicles by February 1st are now on sale at the offices of the Collector of Internal Revenue in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The initial stamp, covering the first half of 1942, will cost $2.09 for each vehicle, and will expire July 1st, after which time a full-year tax of $5 per vehicle must be paid and an appropriate stamp displayed. The stamps have caused confusion for many motorists used to attaching stickers to the inside of their windshields because the glue is on the back of the stamp rather than the face. Officials indicated that this arrangement was made in order to allow motorists in states where it is prohibited to apply stickers or emblems to car windshields to affix the stamp elsewhere on the vehicle. Several such states have waived such prohibitions by request of the Federal Government, but New Jersey retains its ban.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_.jpg

("Keep 'em Flying!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(1).jpg
(Ahhh, the Famous Door, one of the most important jazz clubs on the Street of Swing. No jitterbugs need apply.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(2).jpg
(Now that the Marx Brothers have played out the string at MGM and have gone their separate ways, Chico will do pretty well for himself for a while as a bandleader, complete with a fine young vocalist named Mel Torme. But Chico does not wear a "fedora," he wears a cone-shaped Tyrolean hat with the decorations removed. C'mon, even I know that.)

The Eagle Editorialist praises the new Office Of Censorship headed by Byron Price, and declares that the new censorship code which will govern what can be printed by the nation's newspapers is "entirely satisfactory to practical newspapermen." The EE notes that the code sensibly bars the publication of casualty lists outside a newspaper's specific home zone, news concerning ship, plane, and troop movements, fortifications, maps and photographs which may prove useful to the enemy, and weather forecasts, but it does not bar criticism of national or military policy.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(4).jpg

(Enjoy it while you can!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(5).jpg
(The Leo and Larry Show, running almost as long as "Hellzapoppin'.")

Ray Robinson, "young Negro welterweight" who faces Frankie Zivic tonight at Madison Square Garden, has a better first-year record as a professional than even Joe Louis. Right now, "Sugar Ray" is riding the wave of a 26-fight winning streak since he turned pro toward the end of 1940, and tonight seeks his 27th at the expense of the fighter who was his 26th victim. Robinson hasn't fought since that bout last fall, in part due to a bad attack of the grippe, but he doesn't think the layoff will harm him, and neither does the betting fraternity, with odds running 5-2 in Robinson's favor anywhere you can get a bet down.

Famed vaudevillian Jack Norworth, composer of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," "Shine On Harvest Moon," and other favorites of olden times, revisits his successes at the Palace in a new series on WNBT television beginning tomorrow night. He'll revive his old act "Odds and Ends" for the viewing audience.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(6).jpg

(A Texan without a cowboy hat? Way to boldly shatter stereotypes!!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(7).jpg

(Hey, it's not like you have anything better to do.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(8).jpg

("Oh, and I say, Corporal, you wouldn't happen to know the combination to the safe would you? It'd save ever so much time.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(9).jpg

(I was hoping for Flying Boat vs. Flying Wing, but whatever...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the ChiTrib...

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(2).jpg

"The FBI will investigate to discover why an employer should adopt such an attitude." Mr. Gowran doesn't fool around.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_.jpg
"At last!" says Mamie. "Star billing!" But why is there a picture of Mussolini on the wall? Is Plushie a secret Moselyite?

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(3).jpg

"Hey, whaddaya want for a Dollar A Year?"

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(1).jpg
Sammy doesn't understand a basic point of bargaining -- you must first have something to bargain *with*.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(4).jpg
Look closely at Honey's expression in panel one, and you'll see just how much enthusiasm she has for the whole business.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(5).jpg
Now don't *you* get any ideas about eloping...

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(6).jpg

If you had told me one of our strips would be delving into a hard-hitting story dealing with untreated schizophrenia, I sorta woulda guessed it'd be "Annie."

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(7).jpg
"Widow's weeds?" My my, Emmy, you're showing your age with that one.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(8).jpg
Gawdawmighty, she's had a nose job.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(9).jpg
Just don't disturb the TEN TON BOULDER.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The war news reads a tad sanguine spiced salt shaken script.... Allies alliterative approach,
chorus line correspondents chant off the hymnal to empathize gain over loss. Peeling back the onion
shows Axis aggressive-eastern front less so against Russian forces-more so Nippon in the South Pacific
where Admiral Yamamoto predicted a six-month free hand which will end in April with Doolittle's
imaginative audacious Tokyo strike. Men like James Doolittle will prove more exception than rule.
His thought brand is rare iron, like Claire Chennault an officer who thinks well beyond orthodoxy.
The poker faced Pacific map should have been read and fully understood. A thunder in silence seldom
heard except in whispers but sufficient to awaken a sleeping giant whom Yamamoto feared.

Douglas MacArthur was the highest paid professional soldier in the world. Returned to the US Army
he will flee the Philippines aboard a low profile pt boat, ignominious flight for a warrior; all of whom
are only mere mortals.

...Two men who were arrested after a detective spotted them rolling a new automobile tire down Atlantic Avenue have been sentenced to two days in jail on a disorderly conduct conviction. Thirty-one year old James Price of 132 New York Avenue and 57-year-old John Rowland of 57 Kent Avenue had been suspected of stealing the tire, but Detective Harry Hansen, the arresting officer, was unable to determine the owner of the tire and no theft had been reported....

I guess "disorderly conduct" is a catch all that includes the charge of utter stupidity.

...The Eagle Editorialist praises the new Office Of Censorship headed by Byron Price, and declares that the new censorship code which will govern what can be printed by the nation's newspapers is "entirely satisfactory to practical newspapermen." The EE notes that the code sensibly bars the publication of casualty lists outside a newspaper's specific home zone, news concerning ship, plane, and troop movements, fortifications, maps and photographs which may prove useful to the enemy, and weather forecasts, but it does not bar criticism of national or military policy...

If newspapers and, I assume, radios couldn't give weather forecasts, were people pretty much on their own during the war with guessing what the weather would be like?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(5).jpg (The Leo and Larry Show, running almost as long as "Hellzapoppin'.")...

That entire Leo-Larry article is interesting and entertaining from beginning to end. I love Larry being handed the check in Cuba for the rain out.

...Ray Robinson, "young Negro welterweight" who faces Frankie Zivic tonight at Madison Square Garden, has a better first-year record as a professional than even Joe Louis. Right now, "Sugar Ray" is riding the wave of a 26-fight winning streak since he turned pro toward the end of 1940, and tonight seeks his 27th at the expense of the fighter who was his 26th victim. Robinson hasn't fought since that bout last fall, in part due to a bad attack of the grippe, but he doesn't think the layoff will harm him, and neither does the betting fraternity, with odds running 5-2 in Robinson's favor anywhere you can get a bet down....

"...with odds running 5-2 in Robinson's favor anywhere you can get a bet down." Like a "proper" candy shop. Just sayin'.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(9).jpg
(I was hoping for Flying Boat vs. Flying Wing, but whatever...)

"My fine feathered Nazis!" Really Dan?

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(2).jpg
"The FBI will investigate to discover why an employer should adopt such an attitude." Mr. Gowran doesn't fool around.....

This is an interesting column.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(1).jpg Sammy doesn't understand a basic point of bargaining -- you must first have something to bargain *with*.....

Or bluff like hell, but Sammy is no poker player.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(5).jpg Now don't *you* get any ideas about eloping.......

Skeezix, apparently, is a trust-but-verify kind of guy.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(6).jpg
If you had told me one of our strips would be delving into a hard-hitting story dealing with untreated schizophrenia, I sorta woulda guessed it'd be "Annie."....

If you wan't to see a well-done version of this story in a full length movie, check out 2002's "About a Boy," tt0276751

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_16__1942_(8).jpg Gawdawmighty, she's had a nose job....

Use the picture. Also, if she's now a "nice lookin' dame," that's one hell of a good rhinoplasty.

The war news reads a tad sanguine spiced salt shaken script.... Allies alliterative approach,
chorus line correspondents chant off the hymnal to empathize gain over loss. Peeling back the onion
shows Axis aggressive-eastern front less so against Russian forces-more so Nippon in the South Pacific
where Admiral Yamamoto predicted a six-month free hand which will end in April with Doolittle's
imaginative audacious Tokyo strike. Men like James Doolittle will prove more exception than rule.
His thought brand is rare iron, like Claire Chennault an officer who thinks well beyond orthodoxy.
The poker faced Pacific map should have been read and fully understood. A thunder in silence seldom
heard except in whispers but sufficient to awaken a sleeping giant whom Yamamoto feared.

Douglas MacArthur was the highest paid professional soldier in the world. Returned to the US Army
he will flee the Philippines aboard a low profile pt boat, ignominious flight for a warrior; all of whom
are only mere mortals.

"Douglas MacArthur was the highest paid professional soldier in the world."

In what way? Doesn't the US Army pay by rank? Or do you mean he made the most money in speeches, endorsements, etc.?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"Douglas MacArthur was the highest paid professional soldier in the world."

In what way? Doesn't the US Army pay by rank? Or do you mean he made the most money in speeches, endorsements, etc.?

MacArthur retired US Army 1935; commissioned Field Marshal Philippine Army 1935, approved FDR
executive order. MacArthur received $500,000; returned US Army as Major General, ordered FDR to
flee Philippines, served through Occupation, relieved President Truman for insubordination.
MacArthur's mother died 1935 Philippines; post war exhumation/return USA-also gold bullion payment.

MacArthur never spoke about what is now known as 'The Secret Payment.'

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The publication of weather forecasts in newspapers from here on will be heavily restricted -- only reports allowed will cover the immediate city of publication, or, if necessary, within 150 miles of the city of publication, and no temperature forecasts specifying figures will be allowed at all. "Slightly cooler," "slightly warmer," etc, but no "highs 45-50" or anything like that, and no specific information will be allowed about wind speeds or direction.

Radio, however, will not be allowed to broadcast weather information of any kind, not even incidential or descriptive. During the baseball season just ahead, broadcasters will find that they are prohiibited from mentioning wind conditions, sky conditions, or even rain delays.

However, WE 6-1212 will remain in operation, so if spies want to run up a phone bill, they can still call for information.

All this will be eased up in 1943, by which time air raids are less of a concern, and simplified forecasts will be allowed on radio again. But some restrictions will be made right up to the end of the war. So if you know how to predict the weather from reading the fuzz on a caterpillar. you'll become very popular around your neighborhood.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
So if you know how to predict the weather from reading the fuzz on a caterpillar. you'll become very popular around your neighborhood.

Fuzzies can be eaten with green leaves. Moss grows north side of trees for quick direction.
And urinating on a tree will break canine olefactory sense if pursued. A human can smell an enemy
soldier by advantaging wind. Listening wind. Height, weight, weaponry revealed dirt imprinture.
Thrown away half-eaten food, close to enemy locus. A discared tuna can cleaned means enemy
far from home and used oil inside can to grease his weapon. Weather=never. Quite mercurial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB