Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_15__1943_.jpg

("Uhhhhh!" fusses Leonora, as she pulls at her right ear. "Hurts!" "It's infected again," explains Sally, as Joe looks on with concern. "Heeh, honey, hol' still an' let'cha mama flush it out." "No!" insists Leonora, "Stopit!" "It was freezin' inneah las' night," grumbles Joe. "I t'ought Uncle Frank had t'berleh all fixed." "It'sat rat lan'loehd again," growls Sally. "Remembeh? He shuts off t'heat on Apr'l fois', no matteh how cold it is.""I t'ought Uncle Frank had'AT awl fixed." "What?" "Nut'n. Hey, didt'ey say anyt'ing downa t'emplermen' office yestehday?" "I tawked wit'tis guy f'm Weste'n Electric, t'at'sa pawrta t'phone compny y'know. He says I gotta take a physical fois', I'd haveta go out t'Joisey t't plant an' see t'eah docteh. Out t' Koiney, y'know? Out by Newehk." "Cancha get a physical when y'take in Leonoreh t'get'eh eeah looked at?" "Nah," shrugs Sally. "Doctehs ain' like eatin' at Bickfed's, y'know. Y'don' get no two-f'-one deals.")

Leonora's been susceptible to ear infections practically from the day she was born. Unfortunately, she was born about ten year too early for the general use of antibiotics.

Well, we've seen enough men do it, so it makes sense we'd finally get to a woman buying a uniform and posing as an officer. Can you imagine a judge "prescribing religion" instead of a sentence today? Our politics and social media would be consumed with rage.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_15__1943_(1).jpg

(Open and shut and open and shut...)

Turkus must have more as he's too smart to go into court with the mess of evidence we've seen so far.

The battle between Mayor LaGuardia and the president of the Lord & Taylor department store continues in all its polysyllalbic fury. Yesterday the Mayor got in his licks by accusing department stores engaged in an advertising boycott of certain newspapers of trying to "club the newspapers into supporting opposition" to his tax and budget programs and with trying to force an increase in the five-cent subway fare. Walter Hoving of Lord & Taylor, who is also chairman of the Committee to Reduce The Budget By Sensible Economics responded by calling the Mayor "a liar who should be treated at Bellevue for departmentstoreitis." Mr. Hoving further accused the Mayor of "the height of demagoguery and the depth of public immorality for any man, particularly the Mayor of a great city, to disparage, to degrade, and to vilify the high purpose of the newspapers and the press by saying that they are controlled, or can be controlled, or might be controlled by department stores or by anybody else."

Summing it up in perfect New York vernacular, oy!

Civilian Defense Volunteers and workers in Block Service Organizations will not be permitted to discuss religion or politics during organizational meetings. An order issued by city-wide BSO chief Howard D. Jones prohibits all religious, political, racial, or commercial conversations at all organizational meetings, with volunteers required to confine their conversation to matters within the scope of official CDVO and BSO activities.

So very little in the world is new. They just implement their version of forum rules.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_15__1943_(3).jpg

Boy, that snow melted fast.

You'd think the police officer in Tracy would be wondering where this club is getting all its steaks.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_15__1943_(7).jpg

BIG STOOP?? CONNIE? Is that YOU??? WHERE'S PATRICK?

Taffy's odds of survival just improved.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_15__1943_(10).jpg

Hey, watch that "little man" stuff. Words hurt.

Microaggressions hadn't been discovered yet.

You'd think if you were bound and gagged by nefarious looking characters and they untied the gag, you wouldn't immediately start insulting them. Just a thought.

Oh, and...
Daily_News_Thu__Apr_15__1943_(8).jpg

Honestagawd, is there nothing this man can't do?

Today, he'd have been diagnosed as a kid with some fancy sounding condition for being hyperactive, put on drugs and would probably never have become mayor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_.jpg

("Ma was in a awrful mood t'is mawrnin'," says Sally. "I wen' oveh t' tawk to'eh afteh takin' Leonoreh to t'docteh, wan'ed t'see if she might be able t', y'know, look aftehr'eh a couple days a week if I take t'is job out t'Joisey. Y'know, so I don' hafta take t'pooeh kid onna Hudson Tube six days a week. An' she was slammin' aroun'a stoeh, yellin' an swearin', gett'n all oveh customehs, jus' in a real bad mood." "Ah," says Joe, glancing at the Eagle front page laid out on the table before him. "I bet I know why." "She could'n b'lieve it," declares Sally, shaking her head in amazement. "T'ey toined 'eh down at't' shipyawrd. Said she didn' pass t'physical. Canya beat t'at? Big healt'y woman like Ma. Did'n pass't physical. Said 'eh blood pressheh was too high. I ask ya! What'sa cueh f'sump'n like t'at, anyways?" "Slip t'doctehr'a sawbuck?" "What?" "Nut'n.")

Spurred on by the record-setting mark set by the borough's savings banks, Brooklyn's populace today forged ahead on a bond buying offensive with its aim set on doubling the local quota of $95,000,000. Brooklyn exceeded its goal on the first day on the Second War Loan Drive, and regional chairman of the War Finance Committee Philip A. Benson appealed both to the local savings banks and the individual small investor to press on toward a new record. Although official tabulations are not yet available, local drive leaders are optimistic that the double-quota goal will be met, with Benson noting that sales for Kings County now stand at more than $100,000,000 in bonds and other Treasury securities. Nationally, Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau said today that bond sales have reached the halfway point toward the country-wide quota of $5,230,000,000.

Royal Air Force fighters taking over from the bomber command kept up their sweeps of the occupied Continent today, destroying an enemy fighter during offensive operations. Authoritative sources reported that the action today continued operations begun yesterday by the U. S. 8th Air Force and RAF patrols ranging over northern France. Two enemy fighters were down during those patrols.

With gasoline and meat shortages again plaguing local consumers, a new problem has arisen in the form of a potato shortage, which is expected to linger for at least the next two months. The potato famine is becoming more and more acute, with local restaurants now serving only half a potato with meat, fish, or egg orders. Officials say the scarcity of spuds will be remedied only by the arrival in early summer of a new supply from the west and south.

The gasoline shortage will likely force the closure over the coming weekend of approximately 5000 service stations. According to Louis Kimmel of the Gasoline Merchants of Brooklyn-Queens Inc., already about 2500 gasoline retailers have exhausted their supply of fuel, and it is likely that the weekend will see twice that number going dry. Kimmel criticized petroleum czar Harold Ickes for emphasizing the shipment of fuel oil for next winter's supply over gasoline supplies needed now.

Congressman Emanuel Celler of the 10th Congressional District today became the latest local member of the American Bar Association to threaten resignation from that organization in protest of the ABA'srejection of a Negro applicant for membership. In a letter to ABA President George Maurice Morris, Congressman Celler noted that New York County Assistant District Attorney Francis E. Rivers is a member of the New York Bar Association, and "a leader in the Negro community." Celler further noted that "an eminent judge" sponsored Rivers' application for ABA membership.

An intercepted German radio transmission has confirmed the long-held rumor that Adolf Hitler has turned over supreme command of the German armed forces to Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel. The U. S. Foreign Broadcast Intelligence Service stated today that it had monitored a Morse code transmission from the DNB news agency ordering newspaper and radio editors to delete a reference in a recent dispatch to Hitler as "supreme commander of the armed forces," and other transmissions were monitored which mentioned Keitel as holding that position.

School children in the metropolitan area will not receive their customary spring vacation next week, due to the need to make up days lost when schools were shut down last winter due to the fuel oil shortage. The Board of Education yesterday announced the elimination of this year's spring break, but stressed that the schools will be closed on Good Friday. According to Board of Education by-laws, school is required to be in session for no less than 190 days each year, ending on June 30th.

Three tons of matzohs were distributed to synagogues, hospitals, and needy individual familes in the 6th Assembly District this week by the Crews Republican Club, continuing a twenty-year Passover-season tradition. Assemblyman Robert A. Crews and his twin brother, Republican leader John R. Crews supervised distribition of the unleavened bread from the club's Williamsburg headquarters.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(1).jpg

("Lower the draft age to 10!!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(2).jpg

(What was I supposed to do? They brought their ration books!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(3).jpg

(Skelton? Pffft. Why couldn't they have a tie-in with Fred Allen?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(4).jpg

(It's a pity Miss Earhart can't see herself being played by Rosalind Russell.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(5).jpg

(I dunno, some hacky newspaper columnist?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(6).jpg

(Yep, nothing any gal likes more than lounging around the house in her underwear waiting for the phone to ring.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(7).jpg

("What? The very idea! Celery's not rationed!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(8).jpg

(DONT YOU DARE KILL OFF THE CAT WITH BLACK MARKET MEAT. DON'T YOU DARE!!!!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(9).jpg

(I can't begin to understand how the Bungles could have kids like these.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_.jpg

"Sergeant Flimflam." What a perfect idea for a movie, starring Jack Carson.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(1).jpg

Well, I mean, Passaic -- really. I went to a wedding in Perth Amboy once and had a swell time.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(2).jpg

You'd be surprised.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(3).jpg

"Awk!" = "OH NO MY INHERITANCE!"

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(4).jpg

And this is how it starts.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(5).jpg

"I'd go around it." HOW HARD CAN THAT BE??

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(6).jpg

We haven't seen Connie and Stoop since Pat left them behind in Hong Kong during the invasion to take off with Normandie and Merrily, but clearly they were able to find their way to the Chinese lines and enlist. But Southern Fried Lieutenant here is someone we've never met before.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(7).jpg

Ever notice whenever Tracy visits a night club somebody gets killed? You'd think word would get out.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(9).jpg

The one with the problem is always the last to know there's a problem.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(10).jpg

"But me, I'll never talk! NO SIR! Oh, wait.."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_.jpg

("Ma was in a awrful mood t'is mawrnin'," says Sally. "I wen' oveh t' tawk to'eh afteh takin' Leonoreh to t'docteh, wan'ed t'see if she might be able t', y'know, look aftehr'eh a couple days a week if I take t'is job out t'Joisey. Y'know, so I don' hafta take t'pooeh kid onna Hudson Tube six days a week. An' she was slammin' aroun'a stoeh, yellin' an swearin', gett'n all oveh customehs, jus' in a real bad mood." "Ah," says Joe, glancing at the Eagle front page laid out on the table before him. "I bet I know why." "She could'n b'lieve it," declares Sally, shaking her head in amazement. "T'ey toined 'eh down at't' shipyawrd. Said she didn' pass t'physical. Canya beat t'at? Big healt'y woman like Ma. Did'n pass't physical. Said 'eh blood pressheh was too high. I ask ya! What'sa cueh f'sump'n like t'at, anyways?" "Slip t'doctehr'a sawbuck?" "What?" "Nut'n.")

Not making light of it, just noting that I'd bet the blood alcohol level of the soldier who died after falling onto the subway track probably wasn't low; otherwise, it's hard to believe a soldier just lost his balance. One other possibility is he had an undiagnosed head injury from the war.

The only thing surprising about Ma's physical is that she didn't think of Joe's solution on the spot; that or she, unbelievably, found the one honest doctor conducting physicals.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(1).jpg

View attachment 508272
("Lower the draft age to 10!!")

Having some trouble with the logistics of the dumbwaiter vandalism - were the boys in the house?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(6).jpg

(Yep, nothing any gal likes more than lounging around the house in her underwear waiting for the phone to ring.)

Seriously, Scarlett's ratings must be slipping.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_.jpg

"Sergeant Flimflam." What a perfect idea for a movie, starring Jack Carson.

Ms. Lys never got the memo that says you should at least fake feeling bad about not being able to pay back your creditors when you declare bankruptcy.

Yes, great call, Carson would be perfect in the role.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(1).jpg

Well, I mean, Passaic -- really. I went to a wedding in Perth Amboy once and had a swell time.

Hard to believe making this vaguely stupid point was worth all the effort that went into getting this letter to the News.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(2).jpg

You'd be surprised.

They already have; it's a little hand-held shaver that you plug into an outlet and trim your insanely ridiculously overgrown beard, umm, if you happen to have an insanely ridiculously overgrown beard.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(5).jpg

"I'd go around it." HOW HARD CAN THAT BE??

With two-plus years of war left combined with his decisioning process, there's every reason to believe this reporter will eventually be amongst the honored dead.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_16__1943_(10).jpg

"But me, I'll never talk! NO SIR! Oh, wait.."

Shadow's head is not just lacking hair.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_.jpg

("Huh!" huhs Joe. "Rogehs an' Hawt'orne! Ain'at right nee'h ya ma's place?" "Yeh," Sally nods, as she sorts thru the mail. "T'ree blocks down. I bet she knows t'at lady. Maybe trades inna stoeh." "Prob'ly missed 'eh when she din' show up f't Wen'sday night game." "What?" "Nut'n." "Hey," heys Sally. "Lookit -- I got a letteh f'm West'n Electric. Says heah 'Pursuant to yeh application f'employment received t'ru t' U. S. Emplermen' Office you are requested to report to t' Medical Depawrtment at oueh Koiney Woiks, 100 Central Aveneh, Koiney, New Joisey, at 9 AM on Monday, April 19, 1943 to undergo t'requiehed physical examination. If you are unable to report on t'is date, please telephone Miss Basse at our employment desk immediately at MItchell 2-7700 extention 4014. Very sincerely yours, et cetereh, et cetereh.' Well now, how bout t'at!" "T'at was quick," comments Joe. "Took me longeh'n'nat t'get in at Sperry's." "Situation's oigent," shrugs Sally. "Nobody's got no time t'waste. Y'know, I ain' had a physical since Leonoreh was bawrn. Who's got t'time?" "It ain' gonna cost ya nut'n, is it?" "Nah," reassures Sally. "It's t'phone comp'ny. T'ey ain' got nut'n BUT money." "Huh," agrees Joe. "I guess'em nickels awlem guys inna boot's spen' downa ya ma's place add up.")

A Department of Sanitation foreman from Ozone Park was ordered held without bail on a charge of first-degree murder. An indictment handed down by a Queens County grand jury in Long Island City Court charges that 37-year-old Siegfried Welsch shot and killed 44-year-old Frank Kohler of 131-09 116th Avenue, Ozone Park, in the living room of the Welsch home, on the night of March 20th. Welsch will go on trial on the charge on May 10th.

As the local gasoline shortage goes from bad to worse, it was learned today that ration boards are rejecting more applications to move from A to B ration books than they are approving. The Office Of Price Administration has noted that more and more A-card holders are applying for supplemental B rations as a way of coping with the across-the-board 50 percent reduction in the basic A ration ordered last month, and the OPA is stressing that those considering making such applications will find it very difficult to gain approval.

A 43-year-old mechant sailor found asleep on a Boerum Hill sidewalk has been cleared of a disorderly conduct charge. George Fiske told Magistrate Charles Solomon in Flatbush Court, after his arrest at the corner of Atlantic and 4th Avenues, that he was "greatly affected" by his brother's disappearance after his ship was torpedoed in the North Atlantic. "You are one of the unsung heroes of the war," declared Magistrate Solomon in dismissing the charge against Fiske. "The country owes you a debt of gratitude."

In Oakland, Maine, Civil War veteran George T. Benson, last survivor of the famous Third Maine Regiment that fought at the Battle of Gettysburg, celebrated his 102nd birthday today. Asked to what he attributes his longevity, Mr. Benson explained, "to the fact that I have never died."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(1).jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(2).jpg

("The Borough Of Churches.")

Reader "Old Timer" writes in to warn against "greed and avarice" as the factors that brought down France --and that black marketers, displaying such qualities, are just as much a menace to this country. "Chiselers, Quislings, and black market racketeers, a breed without conscience and gratitude, unless checked may prove a cancerous growth to our nation."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(3).jpg

("Happy dollar!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(4).jpg

(Wait, didn't they just get rid of Johnny Allen, a troublesome and ill-tempered presence in the clubhouse, etc? And now he's back? Hmph. I'd rather they brought back Chuck Dressen. Meanwhile, I call your attention to the magnificence of the Cubs road uniform displayed here by young Wally Singer. The photo hardly does it justice -- powder blue flannel, with a sleeveless zipper-front vest top trimmed in red, white, and blue piping, with blue-trimmed white lettering and numbers, worn with a royal blue sweatshirt with three red stripes around the forearms, blue hosiery with red stripes and a white ankle-high stirrup, and a royal blue cap with a red C. NOW THAT'S STYLE.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(5).jpg

(SSSSSSSSSSSSSS!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(6).jpg

(Just once I'd like to come across someone named 'Tallulah' who's a quiet, mild-natured homebody.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(7).jpg

(So now we know where Irwin's staying...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(8).jpg

(The Book of Job, as enacted by dogs. Well now, that's something new.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(9).jpg

(Four kids, is it? No wonder Jo looks so tired.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_.jpg

I look forward to Mr. Farrell's testimony.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(1).jpg

I was wondering what was going on with this case, which sort of dropped out of sight after all that initial publicity. Did you get that confession in writing, Lieutenant? What about the blood-spattered Marine?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(4).jpg

Connie's only a corporal? With his experience as a commando he should've gotten a commission. And I wonder, I say, I WONDER who the Skippuh might be?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(5).jpg

"And there's a lot of room for pistol practice, demolition training, and bayonet drills."

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(6).jpg

Oh, not another sinister bandleader. THIS IS GETTING TIRESOME.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(7).jpg

WHO HAS SUMMONED ME FROM VALHALLA?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(8).jpg

Maybe you shoulda taken a check.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(9).jpg

"Of course, that was in 1917, but..."

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(10).jpg

Sometimes you just gotta do what needs to be done.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(11).jpg

Or you could just shoot him.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, and...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(3).jpg

We haven't heard much from Gyps lately, so it's good to see she's keeping busy. The late Mr. Dillingham was once a big name in the theatre, as the owner of the fabulous Hippodrome, which is, in 1943, a vacant lot. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi. Hey, didn't Gloria Mundi used to work at the Star?

In Oakland, Maine, Civil War veteran George T. Benson, last survivor of the famous Third Maine Regiment that fought at the Battle of Gettysburg, celebrated his 102nd birthday today. Asked to what he attributes his longevity, Mr. Benson explained, "to the fact that I have never died."

We talk about it periodically, but some kid who knew this man is still alive today providing a touch from 2023 back to the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Amazing.

...Meanwhile, I call your attention to the magnificence of the Cubs road uniform displayed here by young Wally Singer. The photo hardly does it justice -- powder blue flannel, with a sleeveless zipper-front vest top trimmed in red, white, and blue piping, with blue-trimmed white lettering and numbers, worn with a royal blue sweatshirt with three red stripes around the forearms, blue hosiery with red stripes and a white ankle-high stirrup, and a royal blue cap with a red C. NOW THAT'S STYLE.)

I started my search with confidence, but couldn't find a single color pic of the Cubs 1943 road uniform.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(7).jpg

(So now we know where Irwin's staying...)
"That was uncalled for, Lizzie. It's hard enough looking for work in this comicstrip job market without people making disparaging comments about you."
lf.jpeg

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(1).jpg

I was wondering what was going on with this case, which sort of dropped out of sight after all that initial publicity. Did you get that confession in writing, Lieutenant? What about the blood-spattered Marine?

It is interesting to see this story return. I don't remember seeing a picture of the victim before. I'm hoping against hope that Folkes has a good lawyer.

I have a feeling, though, we will never learn more about the newlywed found in the grease pit. And contrary to the popular myth about no crime going unpunished, I think the plump blonde Asbury Park bank robber has gotten away with the loot.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(8).jpg

Maybe you shoulda taken a check.

But you can't to this with a check:
giphy.gif

Oh, and...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_17__1943_(3).jpg

We haven't heard much from Gyps lately, so it's good to see she's keeping busy. The late Mr. Dillingham was once a big name in the theatre, as the owner of the fabulous Hippodrome, which is, in 1943, a vacant lot. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi. Hey, didn't Gloria Mundi used to work at the Star?

And here it is;
hatch house1.jpg

In a bit of name whimsy, it was owned by Spike Lee in the 2000s (it is unclear if he still owns it).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a nice black-and-white shot of the 1942 version, which is what Wally is probably wearing this being Spring Training and all -- manager Jimmie Wlson is gagging it up with Ernie Lombardi of the Braves. Mr. Wilson does not seem to be wearing the striped-sleeve version of the sweatshirt, but this is otherwise a clean look at the configuration of the uniform, and you can imagine the colors.

image_access_800.jpg

Note that Mr. Wilson has a watch pocket on his pants, which is a touch I've never seen before on a baseball uniform. Worried about missing your bus, Jimmie?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_.jpg

("Well'at suits me fine," declares Joe. "I ain' plannin' t'leave t'is job anytime soon. In fack, I hope t'ey keep me afteh t'wawr -- be arwf'l hawrd t'go back t't'pickle woiks.afteh awl I...hey,ya listenin'?" "Huh?" huhs Sally. "Sorry, I was t'inkin'." "Whatcha writin'?" inquires Joe, indicating the Big Chief tablet lying open on the kitchen table, covered in precise Palmer penmanship. "I gotta woik out some stuff," Sally explains. "I gotta woik out we'eh gonna do stuff aroun' heeah if I get t'is job wit' West'na 'Le'tric. I mean -- look heeh," Sally continues, flipping back a page. "See, on'neah I'm figyehin' how much time it's gonna take ev'ry day jus' t'get t'woik'n back. Like f'zample, lookeh't'is. You know it takes about fifteen minutes t'get t'Flatbush f'm heah onna subway -- Sea Beach line t' DeKalb t' Prospec' Pawrk, an'nen ano'teh seven minutes'a so t' wawk fr'm t'station t'Rogehs Aveneh. So t'ats twenny-two minutes t'get f'm heeh t'Ma's house, right? If I'm leavin' Leonoreh oveh t'eah ev'ry mawrnin, T'ats awrmos halfa'noueh jus' f'tat. An'nen I gotta wawk sev'n minutes BACK t' t'station, get BACK onna subway, transfeh at DeKalb, go inta t'City, get off at Cortlandt Street, push t'rough awlem Wawl Street charactehs t'get oveh t'Hudson Toimenal, take t' H&M t'rough t'Tube t'New'ek, an'nen catch a bus out t'Koiney. An'nat'sa SHAWRTES' route. I go it awl woiked out -- whole t'ing takes fawrty, maybe fawrty-five minutes if ya lucky an' don' hafta wait f'no trains. So about an houeh out an' back ev'ry day. T'at means I hafta get up six, six t'oity inna mawrnin justa get ready." "Well," wells Joe, "what if ya don' take Leonoreh out t'ya Ma?" "I dunno if she's gonna wanna ride out t'Joisey wit' me ev'ry day," shrugs Sally, "even if t'noissery t'ey got is any good." "Well, what if ya leave'h wit' me? I don' hafta go t'woik t'ill t'ree-toity, so why don' *I* take 'eh oveh t'ya Ma's, an'nen you pick'eh up when ya come home? Don'nat make sense?" "Wouldja wawna do t'at?" asks Sally. "I mean, y'd have t'eh get 'eh lunch ready, an' y'd hafteh, y'know, she ain' really terlet trained yet, so..." "I know how t' do t'at," assures Joe. "It ain' like I ain' wawtched ya. It ain' like I ain' done it a few times myself." "Yeh," nods Sally. "T'at's right, ain'it. I keep f'gettin' -- I mean, I din' have no fawteh aroun' myself, y'know, an' I don'eveh t'ink about..." "Don' worry," assures Joe. "An' what I don' know, I loin quick." "Well," sighs Sally, "t'at brings up groc'ry shoppin'. Now, I got t' ration books innis lit'l wallet heeh, an'nis list heeh shows how t'figyeh up t'pernts...")

It may be a bit late. but Senior Lieutenant Katherine Budanova would like Hermann Goering to know that a dozen of his best pilots were shot down in flames during the Battle of Stalingrad by a pair of Soviet women flyers. The 25-year-old peasant girl, back in Moscow on leave from the Russian Front, revealed today that she and Junior Lieutenant Lydia Litviak each destroyed three German bombers and three German fighters, proving to Russian airmen at Stalingrad that women are not out of place in the cockpits of fighter planes. Returning from one mission with another "girl pilot," Lt. Budanova ran into a flight of Junkers 88s. Although running low on fuel, the Soviet pilots climbed above the bombers and then dived into their formation, forcing them to dump their explosives, turn tail, and run. During the Caucasus campaign, Lt. Budanova fought off two German fighters in a dogfight that raged for nearly half an hour until all three planes ran out of ammunition, and when she finally returned home to her base her fuel was all but gone and she was so exhausted she had to be lifted out of the cockpit.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(1).jpg

(I hope they aren't keeping the Unnamed Platinum Blonde at the Half Moon, but if they are, I hope they've got the windows nailed shut.)

The priest found dead at the Jamaica station of the Long Island Railroad last month with $57,000 in cash and bonds on his person had intended to use the money to build a new church and to contribute the remainder to a fund for the welfare of widows and orphans. In an application filed last week in Queens Surrogate Court, by the deceased priest's brother, it was revealed that the Reverend Michael D. Lopez, chaplain of the St. Anthony's Juniorate at Smithtown branch had expressed his intentions for the money in a written memorandum -- which was not, however, in the official form of a will. The $57,000 was a portion of approximately $169,000 in personal property owned by Father Lopez, mostly from an inheritance from his mother. The remainder of the sum, in cash, bank deposits, and Government securities, it was revealed, is stored in a safety deposit box at the Manhattan Safe Storage Deposit Company. The priest's brother, Bernard D. Lopez of Astoria, is seeking appointment as administrator of the estate.

Mrs. Inez Kathan of 1021 Ocean Avenue always gets sentimental around this time of year. When the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus comes to town, she thinks back to her own days under the big top with her late husband, "The Great Matzoni." Forty years ago, you could find her alongside her magician husband, having joined his act as a young bride of 17, reveling in the glamour of circus life. Her husband passed away some years ago, but Mrs. Kathan kept up in the show business, touring with her own opera troupe, and with a vaudeville act, for some time after. She no longer performs, but is busily training her 11-year-old niece, also named Inez, as an opera singer. And once that task is complete, she declares, she will plan her own comeback -- she intends, she declares, to make a triumphant return to the circus in 1953. She will not, however, return to one phase of her career that she did not enjoy: shortly after joining her husband's act, she was called on to replace "Loretta the Snake Charmer" when that performer fell ill, and though the snakes crawled all over her, much to her horror, the audience never caught on.

Old Timer "C. S." recalls the days when the neighborhood around Sumner and Lewis Avenues, along Myrtle Avenue, was real Irish territory, and you were as likely to hear the musical sounds of the Gaelic language as you were English. "Us kids around Mrs. Boylan's Store learned a lot of Gaelic words, and the coal box at the curb served as sort of an ammunition dump during the trolley strike!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(3).jpg

(WE'RE GONNA HOLD YEZ TO THIS!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(4).jpg

(I hear Sen. Happy's a real baseball fan too.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(6).jpg

(With this week's edition, the Eagle Sunday comics section is reduced in page size by approximately 10 percent. The paper shortage is making itself known. But that don' matter none to Old Kate, nosiree!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(7).jpg
("I MISS MY WIFE," writes the Generalissimo. Every single day.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(8).jpg

(Well, at least she isn't wearing cardboard wings and a diaper.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(9).jpg

(Sometimes serendipity is the best troll of all.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(10).jpg

("Sorry," sniffs Patti, "I have no time to keep up with comic book heroes." And Mr. Andriola, if you want to use photo swipes that's fine, but try and get more than one headshot of Cary Grant to work from, huh?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(11).jpg

(Izzat so? Well, howcome my heart was racing after I carried 800 pounds of popcorn down to the storeroom?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_.jpg

These "confessions" get more and more dubious with each one they present.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(1).jpg

I've never been able to whistle like that. I just don't have the embouchure. It's the same reason I gave up the clarinet.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(3).jpg
Look, aren't there any honest musicians? I bet Fats Waller doesn't play a rigged piano.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(4).jpg

I wish *I* was this efficient.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(5).jpg

Emmy really does have a hard life.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(6).jpg

Even the old "two guys disguised in one overcoat" bit is fresh the way Caniff does it.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(7).jpg

How many storylines can you fit into one page? And aviation tips besides!

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(8).jpg

"Fibber McGee? Never heard of him."

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(9).jpg

Best dad ever.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(10).jpg

Yeah, this won't take long.

View attachment 509027
("Well'at suits me fine," declares Joe. "I ain' plannin' t'leave t'is job anytime soon. In fack, I hope t'ey keep me afteh t'wawr -- be arwf'l hawrd t'go back t't'pickle woiks.afteh awl I...hey,ya listenin'?" "Huh?" huhs Sally. "Sorry, I was t'inkin'." "Whatcha writin'?" inquires Joe, indicating the Big Chief tablet lying open on the kitchen table, covered in precise Palmer penmanship. "I gotta woik out some stuff," Sally explains. "I gotta woik out we'eh gonna do stuff aroun' heeah if I get t'is job wit' West'na 'Le'tric. I mean -- look heeh," Sally continues, flipping back a page. "See, on'neah I'm figyehin' how much time it's gonna take ev'ry day jus' t'get t'woik'n back. Like f'zample, lookeh't'is. You know it takes about fifteen minutes t'get t'Flatbush f'm heah onna subway -- Sea Beach line t' DeKalb t' Prospec' Pawrk, an'nen ano'teh seven minutes'a so t' wawk fr'm t'station t'Rogehs Aveneh. So t'ats twenny-two minutes t'get f'm heeh t'Ma's house, right? If I'm leavin' Leonoreh oveh t'eah ev'ry mawrnin, T'ats awrmos halfa'noueh jus' f'tat. An'nen I gotta wawk sev'n minutes BACK t' t'station, get BACK onna subway, transfeh at DeKalb, go inta t'City, get off at Cortlandt Street, push t'rough awlem Wawl Street charactehs t'get oveh t'Hudson Toimenal, take t' H&M t'rough t'Tube t'New'ek, an'nen catch a bus out t'Koiney. An'nat'sa SHAWRTES' route. I go it awl woiked out -- whole t'ing takes fawrty, maybe fawrty-five minutes if ya lucky an' don' hafta wait f'no trains. So about an houeh out an' back ev'ry day. T'at means I hafta get up six, six t'oity inna mawrnin justa get ready." "Well," wells Joe, "what if ya don' take Leonoreh out t'ya Ma?" "I dunno if she's gonna wanna ride out t'Joisey wit' me ev'ry day," shrugs Sally, "even if t'noissery t'ey got is any good." "Well, what if ya leave'h wit' me? I don' hafta go t'woik t'ill t'ree-toity, so why don' *I* take 'eh oveh t'ya Ma's, an'nen you pick'eh up when ya come home? Don'nat make sense?" "Wouldja wawna do t'at?" asks Sally. "I mean, y'd have t'eh get 'eh lunch ready, an' y'd hafteh, y'know, she ain' really terlet trained yet, so..." "I know how t' do t'at," assures Joe. "It ain' like I ain' wawtched ya. It ain' like I ain' done it a few times myself." "Yeh," nods Sally. "T'at's right, ain'it. I keep f'gettin' -- I mean, I din' have no fawteh aroun' myself, y'know, an' I don'eveh t'ink about..." "Don' worry," assures Joe. "An' what I don' know, I loin quick." "Well," sighs Sally, "t'at brings up groc'ry shoppin'. Now, I got t' ration books innis lit'l wallet heeh, an'nis list heeh shows how t'figyeh up t'pernts...")

Can Sally really not find a reasonably comparable job in either Brooklyn or Manhattan? I did a three-leg commute from NJ into lower Manhattan, coincidentally using "the Tubes" (called the Path trains by the time I was commuting), and it's brutal - there's no other word for it.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(1).jpg

(I hope they aren't keeping the Unnamed Platinum Blonde at the Half Moon, but if they are, I hope they've got the windows nailed shut.)

Pictorial evidence is damning even though it is really still just the same one confession (a pretty weak case), but we know how impactful pictures can be.

God love ya Eagle for channeling your inner Page Four to note, not a "blonde," but a "platinum blonde."

Agreed, I would not be writing a life insurance policy on her right now.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(10).jpg

("Sorry," sniffs Patti, "I have no time to keep up with comic book heroes." And Mr. Andriola, if you want to use photo swipes that's fine, but try and get more than one headshot of Cary Grant to work from, huh?)

"...and I have to live."
"Yeah, why?"
Nice.

"Dan Dunn" is dragging out this storyline. Good call, Lizzie, it's creepy how Dan has the exact same expression in every panel.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_.jpg

These "confessions" get more and more dubious with each one they present.

I'm not optimistic, but if he has a good attorney representing him, the problems with these "confessions" will be brought out. It's going to be something if Folkes takes the stand.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_18__1943_(10).jpg

Yeah, this won't take long.

"Looks like I'll be capturing a sub crew. I'm really good at this."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

Sub-Sinker Sandy

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
That lower berth slain bride case and steward cook confession boggles and bothers no end.
A rigged confession details a killing which seems streets above this defendant negro and the more thought
given that Marine and fact she died from a knife, together with its verbiage looks a setup to railroad the black cook.
Maybe it's just me but this bothers like hellish laughter.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
That lower berth slain bride case and steward cook confession boggles and bothers no end.
A rigged confession details a killing which seems streets above this defendant negro and the more thought
given that Marine and fact she died from a knife, together with its verbiage looks a setup to railroad the black cook.
Maybe it's just me but this bothers like hellish laughter.
This took place in Albany Oregon: about an hour and a half from where I live. Here's a book on the case you might want to read:

The Color of Night: Race, Railroaders and Murder in the Wartime West, by Max. G. Geier. ISBN 9780870718205. The interesting aspect is that using the railroad cook as a scapegoat may have had as much to do with union busting as institutional racism.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
This took place in Albany Oregon: about an hour and a half from where I live. Here's a book on the case you might want to read:

The Color of Night: Race, Railroaders and Murder in the Wartime West, by Max. G. Geier. ISBN 9780870718205. The interesting aspect is that using the railroad cook as a scapegoat may have had as much to do with union busting as institutional racism.

Amazon ordered thanks. In the book summary it stated the youth was indeed executed by Oregon. Hoped he'd be found innocent but will study this case thoroughly.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_.jpg

("All roit now, Leonora darlin," says Ma Sweeney, lifting her granddaughter away from the kitchen table. "Ye mama's come to take ye home now." "He'p Gra'ma WOIK!" enthuses Leonora. "Whassatcha got in ya hand honey?" says Sally. "Izzata piece a'papeh?" "Isn't it a wonnnder how a little garrl can get into things," Ma Sweeney hastens. "Makin' her little scribbles with a pencil!" "Lessee whatcha wrote," smiles Sally, taking the crumpled slip from her daughter's grip. "Says heeh 'Fifty cents -- One-Seven-Nine, combinate." "Yes indeed, she's a marvelous child, she is," Ma interrupts, grabbing the slip away and shoving it down the front of her dress. "Sooch an i-mag-in-ation! She should be in school already, oi'll be bound! So, then, daughter -- how'd ye examination go?" "Aw," sighs Sally. "I dunno. T'ey said I was helt'y enough-- but t'ey gimme an eye tes', an' said I need t'get glasses! If I c'n do t'at, I c'n stawrt woik nex' week, but I dunno..." "Glasses!" huffs Ma. "At yoor age!" "I'm t'oity yeehs old, Ma." Sally replies. "I'm get'n old. Glasses is jus' t'stawrt of it." "Count nick'ls!" interjects Leonora. "Nick'ls!" "Ahhh, that's right darlin', you come back again an' we'll coont s'more nickels, that we will." "You an' ya nickels," Sally chuckles. "What is it wit' you an' nickels?" "I seen an article in a Soonday supplement," explains Ma. "They said if ye find a nickel from 1913 wi' a Liberty head on it, you can toorn it in for fifty dollars." "Fifty dollehs f'ra nick'l? Ah, ya nuts, Ma." "Even so, daughter, ye must allow an old wooman her foolishm'nts. Now be off wi'ye, must be close time for little garrls t' go t'bed." "Play m'chine!" begs Leonora. "Wanna play m'chine!" "Machine?" puzzles Sally. "Whas'sis now?" But she gets no reply, as Ma quickly pushes them into the hallway and closes the door.)

New prohibitions announced by the Office of Price Administration on the approval of supplemental gasoline rations for persons commuting between temporary Summer homes and places of employment in the Eastern shortage area were taken as evidence tha t the OPA's "honor system" plan for curtailing use of fuel for pleasure driving was a complete failure. OPA statistics revealed that after the categorical ban on pleasure driving was lifted this spring, Sunday traffic returned to the level noted before that ban was put in place on January 7th. The new restrictions on gasoline for vacation travel also include fuel for any form of non-occupational boat.

The majority of America's 52,000,000 wage earners began a new work week today under War Manpower Commission rules which make it virtually impossible for them to change employment in order to increase their earning power. Henceforth a person can change employment in order to get higher wages only if he or she is going from a non-essential activity to a job in one of the 35 essential activity groups, or if he is going with WMC approval from one job to another in an essential activity where he can use his highest skills, or gain full time employment rather than part time. The rules, promulgated by WMC Chairman Paul V. McNutt with the approval of Economic Stabilization Director James F. Byrnes were designed to effectuate President Roosevelt's April 8th directive to "hold the line" against inflation.

A demand that the present "shape up" system underwhich longshoremen are hired by going from dock to dock seeking work be changed because it hampers the war effort was made yesterday at a meeting of 500 members of Brooklyn's seven locals of the Invernational Longshoremen's Union AFL. The rank and file stevedores, meeting at Star Hall, 117 Carroll Street, voted to urge that union president Joseph P. Ryan and other union officials take immediate steps to establishing a hiring hall system of employment. The resolution also charged that ILU officials have "repeatedly rejected all efforts to guarantee a steady supply of labor to load and unload ships which are vital to our war effort," and that leaders have refused to meet with rank-and-file workers' committees to find a solution to this vital problem. Speakers at the meeting also charged that the "shapeup" method of hiring gives hiring bosses a chance to demand kickbacks from men in exchange for work. The meeting was orderly, with several policemen posted outside the hall.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(1).jpg

(It's always good to see that Mr. Leff has made it thru another year.)

Two thousand Brooklyn milkmen belonging to Local 584 of the Milk Wagon Drivers Union, International Brotherhood of Teamsters AFL, will deliver plasma to our fighting men over the next two weeks. The blood donatioons by the milk drivers will be made at the rate of 150 a day at the Brooklyn Red Cross blood center, 97 Willoughby Street, until all have had their chance to contribute.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(2).jpg

(I wonder if Gypsy has ever considered doing an ice show? Gotta pay the taxes on that mansion, you know.)

The Eagle Editorialist complains that this has been, so far as the weather is concerned, the worst April on record since 1875, "which is far enough back to satisfy most of us." Weather Bureau figures confirm that the first fifteen days of the month averaged 6.2 degrees below normal temperatures for this time of year, and the EE expresses satisfaction, at least, that the next time some grumbling Old Timer tries to say how much worse the weather was in the olden days, we have "all-wool copper-riveted records" to back us up when we say just how lousy the Spring of 1943 has been.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(3).jpg

(Even worse, I think she rubs it with butter!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(4).jpg

(Billy is right though, the Yankees, on paper, look positively limp. GO BROWNS!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(5).jpg

(Well, I mean, if Winchell is a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy, anything can happen...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(6).jpg

(Scarlet will do a bathroom shot, but she positively will NOT suds up in the tub.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(7).jpg

("Hmmm. A platinum wig, a ladies' negligee and a pair of sparkly transparent plastic mules. Is there something you want to tell us, Mr. Kauffin?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(8).jpg

("Say, did you have some trouble with your digestion last night after all that meat?" "Yeah, but I'm a dog, so it was just, you know, a midnight snack.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_19__1943_(9).jpg

(Mr. Tuthill does have 14-year-old-girl postures down pat.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy