Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_.jpg

("Magine 'nat," marvels Joe between sips of his egg cream. "Penicillin. Y'know, I read'n awrticle'na magazine said t'ey make it f'm moldy oranges a' sump'n. We got a moldy orange inna ice box at home. I otta donate it." "We live in an age'a wondaaars," agrees Ma. "Y'know," continues Joe, "las' winteh Leonoreh had awlem eeh infections an'ney jus' hadda let'm drain out. Pooeh kid was mis'r'b'l. I wonneh if t'is winteh wec'n get some'a t'is penicillin? I mean, if t'wawr is oveh by Chris'mas, maybe we c'n get some." "Thaaat's a big *if*, Joseph," warns Ma. "Sure, aaan' it looks good roit now, but ye shouldn't count ye chickens..." "I was read'n'a'nut'teh awrticle in a magazine," Joe resumes. "Populeh M'chanics, a' one a' t'em kin'a magazines. An' it was tawkin' 'bout television. Y'know, like at t' Woil's Faieh. Hey, l eveh show ya t'is?" Joe opens his billfold to produce a small pink card declaring that on June 25, 1939 Jos. Petrauskas was TELEVISED at the RCA Pavillion. "See t'eh?" he continues. "I been *televised.* An' inna fut'cheh, t'is awrticle says, television's gonna be ev'ywe'h! Bawlgames on television ev'ry day, fights, hawrse races -- hey, 'magine'nis -- someday ya gonna be able to wawk in a place an' see awl kin'sa hawrse racin' f'm awloveh t'country, getcha bets down, an' see t'winnehs right onna spot." "Remarrrkable," muses Ma. "Yeh," declares Joe. "But, y'know, I bet t'at's gonna put a lotta canny stoehs outa business." "What?" "Al'tough," he demurs, "I s'pose t'ehs awrways bingo.")

A report over the Rome radio broadcast today stated that the Italian Government has asked the Vatican and Switzerland to notify the Allies of orders that the city be stripped of all military works in order to make the Italian capital an open city. The dispatch from the Italian Stefani News Agency stated that all German and Italian commands are being shifted out of Rome along with all operational forces, save a small garrison retained to preserve public order. Defense installations in Rome were ordered put out of operation, direction was given for all anti-aircraft batteries to withhold all fire, and for fighter planes not to engage any Allied aircraft spotted over the city. The Stefani report further stated that the Rome railroad junction will no longer be used to supply the military or for the loading, unloading, or storage of any military trains.

The Chinese Central News Agency reported today that Admiral Mineichi Koga, successor to Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto as commander-in-chief of the Japanese navy, was killed at sea last month during an Allied bombing raid in the Southwest Pacific. The Chinese dispatch quoted a Chinese military source in reporting that Koga died aboard his flagship during an attack by Allied planes in the New Ireland-New Britain Island area north of New Guinea,

Allied ground troops have seized a bridgehead across the Francisco River, tightening the siege
of the Salamaua airdrome on the New Guinea coast, it was announced today. The crossing was carried out as aircraft pounded steadily the Japanese-held base and warships ranged up the New Guinea coast to shell for the first time the Finsch Harbor area. The crossing put Australian forces in strength approximately two miles from the airdrome.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(1).jpg

(Now that's what I call a HERO.)

Stringent new regulations intended to crack down on the health menace posed by black market meat in the city go into effect September 15th, when an amendment to the Sanitary Code approved this week by the Board of Health establishes a rigorous local inspection system requiring that the originating source and destination be specified for all meat sold anywhere in New York City. "The situation has become so critical," Mayor LaGuardia declared today, "that it constitutes a health problem. In normal times we have known sources of origin and it is easy to check with Federal authorities. But now, meat is coming from all sources, there are many new slaughterers, and there is so much diversion to illegitimate channels that there is no means of telling whether meat is sanitary or not." Under the new code, no meat may be sold in the city that is not clearly identified at every point in ts processing and sale, from the slaughter house to the butcher block, by means of certificates spelling out each step in the process.

Meat industry officials, meanwhile, reported an increase in cases of evasion of ceiling prices at the wholesale level, with many small distributors reported to be selling meat on an under-the-table cash-on-the-side arrangement with the slaughterhouses that supply them, and with the local retailers they supply to. Corroboration of this situation was seen in reports from the Federal Market News Service indicating that prices of such small wholesalers "could not be confirmed."

Queens detectives and FBI agents have joined today in the hunt for burglars who used an electric drill and a sledgehammer to crack a safe in the office of the Jamaica War Rationing Board, escaping with ration coupons good for over 1.3 million gallons of gasoline. Stamps from the A, B, C, and TT ration classifications were stolen in the robbery, but the B and C coupons are of the type that will become invalid on September 1st. The burglars left behind their sledgehammer beside the broken safe.

Fathers in "least essential" jobs can expect to be called into military service before 1944, according to the latest indications from Maj. Gen. Lewis B. Hershey, head of Selective Service. Figures included in a letter by Gen. Hershey to the nation's 6500 local draft boards specify that a draft defecit of approximately 446,000 men will need to be made up before the end of 1943, and that fathers in "least essential" employment constitute the most likely group of eligible men available to meet this need. Gen. Hershey directed local boards to carefully review all fathers in their files and determine each man's current contribution to the war effort thru his employment in order to take first the fathers who "contribute least."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(2).jpg

("I ain' goin' noweh," declares Sally. "Me nie'teh," affirms Alice. "Woul'n hoit my feelins none if Mildred Kelly lef' t'ough," Sally adds. "Oh, she ain' so bad," argues Alice. "Once ya get t'know 'eh. She gimme t'is lit'l white pill 't utteh day when I was runnin' down, poiked me right up. I give one t' Sid las' night. Poiked him right up too." "Krause??" snorts Sally. "Poiked up??" A wrinkle of her Pert Irish Nose is Alice's enigmatic reply.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(3).jpg

(KIDS TODAY)

A 35-year-old Williamsburg deckhand is in the Raymond Street Jail on a charge of simple assault for beating his 7-year-old son, who was, according to the child, "too slow" in picking up papers off the floor. William Deveny was convicted yesterday after his son Wilfred testified in Special Sessions Court that his father had kicked him to the floor and then punched him in the face, head, and body when he did not act as quickly as desired in picking up papers scattered on the kitchen floor. It was Deveny's second arrest in connection with harm to his son. Earlier this year, Deveny was brought into court on charges that he broke Wilfred's arm while the child was in bed with the German measles, but that charge was dismissed. Deveny will remain jailed pending sentence on August 31st.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(4).jpg

("We must draw 13,300 a game for the remaining games on the schedule to meet our quota!" declares Mr. Rickey. "In ordinary circumstances this would be the work of an instant, but now, alas, it requires extraordinary measures, extraordinary measures I say!" "Yes dear," yawns Mrs. Rickey. "If I might offer a suggestion," she continues, sipping a tall lemonade, "wouldn't the people here appreciate a Dolph Camilli Day?" "Oh yes," nods Mr. Rickey with excessive enthusiasm. "Judas Priest, what a wonderful idea. A Camilli day. We could fete the man, deliver speeches, award him a fine prize horse for his ranch, there would be no limit to the excitement and goodwill such an event might generate. No limit, I tell you! Hmm. How late do you suppose the slaughterhouses in New Jersey are open?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(5).jpg

("And don't try climbing up the fire escape. You're no Dude Hennick.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(6).jpg

("But before I get more coffee, I need to get a new shower curtain.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(7).jpg

("Raselane? But you can't dance!" "I *WON'T* dance! Don't ask me!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(8).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG IS ALWAYS GRATEFUL FOR SMALL MIRACLES.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(9).jpg

(Peg leg, eye patch -- you've got to admire his committment to the bit.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_.jpg

("Magine 'nat," marvels Joe between sips of his egg cream. "Penicillin. Y'know, I read'n awrticle'na magazine said t'ey make it f'm moldy oranges a' sump'n. We got a moldy orange inna ice box at home. I otta donate it." "We live in an age'a wondaaars," agrees Ma. "Y'know," continues Joe, "las' winteh Leonoreh had awlem eeh infections an'ney jus' hadda let'm drain out. Pooeh kid was mis'r'b'l. I wonneh if t'is winteh wec'n get some'a t'is penicillin? I mean, if t'wawr is oveh by Chris'mas, maybe we c'n get some." "Thaaat's a big *if*, Joseph," warns Ma. "Sure, aaan' it looks good roit now, but ye shouldn't count ye chickens..." "I was read'n'a'nut'teh awrticle in a magazine," Joe resumes. "Populeh M'chanics, a' one a' t'em kin'a magazines. An' it was tawkin' 'bout television. Y'know, like at t' Woil's Faieh. Hey, l eveh show ya t'is?" Joe opens his billfold to produce a small pink card declaring that on June 25, 1939 Jos. Petrauskas was TELEVISED at the RCA Pavillion. "See t'eh?" he continues. "I been *televised.* An' inna fut'cheh, t'is awrticle says, television's gonna be ev'ywe'h! Bawlgames on television ev'ry day, fights, hawrse races -- hey, 'magine'nis -- someday ya gonna be able to wawk in a place an' see awl kin'sa hawrse racin' f'm awloveh t'country, getcha bets down, an' see t'winnehs right onna spot." "Remarrrkable," muses Ma. "Yeh," declares Joe. "But, y'know, I bet t'at's gonna put a lotta canny stoehs outa business." "What?" "Al'tough," he demurs, "I s'pose t'ehs awrways bingo.")

It's historically neat to see the introduction of penicillin. Today's new drugs, even the amazing ones, are just more grist for our political/culture wars, which makes it fun to see a time when a wonder drug was truly appreciated.

Note the amnesia victim, it wasn't just a comicstrip creation.

A report over the Rome radio broadcast today stated that the Italian Government has asked the Vatican and Switzerland to notify the Allies of orders that the city be stripped of all military works in order to make the Italian capital an open city. The dispatch from the Italian Stefani News Agency stated that all German and Italian commands are being shifted out of Rome along with all operational forces, save a small garrison retained to preserve public order. Defense installations in Rome were ordered put out of operation, direction was given for all anti-aircraft batteries to withhold all fire, and for fighter planes not to engage any Allied aircraft spotted over the city. The Stefani report further stated that the Rome railroad junction will no longer be used to supply the military or for the loading, unloading, or storage of any military trains.

Translation: please don't bomb our city to rubble.

Queens detectives and FBI agents have joined today in the hunt for burglars who used an electric drill and a sledgehammer to crack a safe in the office of the Jamaica War Rationing Board, escaping with ration coupons good for over 1.3 million gallons of gasoline. Stamps from the A, B, C, and TT ration classifications were stolen in the robbery, but the B and C coupons are of the type that will become invalid on September 1st. The burglars left behind their sledgehammer beside the broken safe.

Safecracking is another one of those good, stable 1940s careers for criminals that has all but gone away.

("I ain' goin' noweh," declares Sally. "Me nie'teh," affirms Alice. "Woul'n hoit my feelins none if Mildred Kelly lef' t'ough," Sally adds. "Oh, she ain' so bad," argues Alice. "Once ya get t'know 'eh. She gimme t'is lit'l white pill 't utteh day when I was runnin' down, poiked me right up. I give one t' Sid las' night. Poiked him right up too." "Krause??" snorts Sally. "Poiked up??" A wrinkle of her Pert Irish Nose is Alice's enigmatic reply.)

For the love of God, please don't have Alice talk about her sex life with Krause. Please, pretty please.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(5).jpg

("And don't try climbing up the fire escape. You're no Dude Hennick.")

Wasn't it Raven climbing on the window sill to get to Dude (God love a woman that will do that to get herself some sex), or has my memory (quite likely) screwed all that history up?

Usually I wait for the Daily News to post any comments, but considering how wonky Fedora's site is this morning, I'm posting these now while the system is letting me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_.jpg

That's fine, kid. There's plenty of good reasons not to love Errol Flynn.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(1).jpg

Awwwwwwwwww....

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(2).jpg
"Well, you could always ask Col. Corkin..." "Who?"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(3).jpg

"An' if yuh need some ration board guy disappeared with no questions asked.." "What?" "Nuthin'."

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(4).jpg

Food scientists have to start somewhere...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(5).jpg

It's a hard life when you're an Emil...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(6).jpg

She'll set you back a week.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(7).jpg

"KEBAMBA!" Well, it's not as catchy as "Seeza Maboiks!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(8).jpg

BOARDING HOUSE LEVELED IN LATE NIGHT BLAZE -- BLAME CIGAR SMOKING BOOB IN BED

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(9).jpg

I'm impressed, though, that he got up there without a ladder.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_-2.jpg

That's fine, kid. There's plenty of good reasons not to love Errol Flynn.

$23,400 is about $400,000 today. It's kinda nuts to store that much money and jewelry in a trunk in your attic. That doesn't justify the theft one bit, but it still is a stupid thing to do.

I agree, there are plenty of good reasons not to love Errol Flynn, but would add there are plenty of good reasons not to love all the young woman who have been involved with him either. Not one of the ones we've read about here or at his recent trial sound like sincerely innocent victims. All these people kind of deserve each other.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(1).jpg

Awwwwwwwwww....

The best part of this is seeing Evers from "Evers to Tinkers to Chance" pop up as you hardly ever think of them as individuals living life outside of baseball.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(2).jpg

"Well, you could always ask Col. Corkin..." "Who?"

"...isn't it possible to confirm that through Washington, or some way?"
"Well, your Washington records do make mention of a certain birthmark."
"Sir!"
"It would be confirmation."
"You won't tell anyone about this?"
"I am an officer and a gentleman, Nurse. Now, let's have a little look-see."

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_24__1943_(7).jpg

"KEBAMBA!" Well, it's not as catchy as "Seeza Maboiks!"

I have all but no idea what is going on in this storyline anymore and I'm beginning not to care.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Ms Eddington is as laconic as she is beautiful. All of which throws petrol towards flame and the cat is outside bag
so speak, separate planes what, yet not the tattler she. And Ms Elizabeth found occasion to get her pence tossed our
swashbuckler's direction hmmm.

Patrick good lad is folded as regards Taffy. So that's paid put errant knight quest yon maid. Honourable play yield Sir.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_.jpg

("I dunno what it is wit' kids today," sighs Sally, scowling at her thin American cheese-on-white sandwich. "Awlese bobby-sox kids goin' ape oveh t'is Sinatra." "He's a pretty good singeh," asserts Alice. "You hoid t'at one he does, 'People Will Say We'eh In Love?' I wen' out t' f'ra drink wit' Sid afteh woik las' night, an'nat was playin' onna jukebox. An' Sid looks in me eyes an'ne says t'me, he says.." "Don't tell me," interrupts Saly. "He said 'I fawrgot me wallet.'" "Well, yeh," Alice acknowledges. "He did say t'at, eventually. But fois' he says t'me, he says 'some tonsils onnat boy, eh kid?' He cawls me kid, y'see. I t'ink he's gett'n sweet awn me." "Could'n hap'n to a niceh guy," adds Sally. "But t'is Sinatra, he ain' half so good as Russ C'lumbo was. 'Jus' frien's -- lovehs no mooooeeeeh....jus' frien's -- but nawt like beeeeefoeeh....' Nah, Russ C'lumbo would have Sinatra's tonsils inna jawr. Now t'at was croonin'. An' Rudy Vallee too, y'remembeh how y'd get t' shivehs when he'd sing 'Deep Night?' Yahhh, kids today do'n' know what t'ey missed." "I liked Gene Austin," sighs Alice. "An'nat Silveh-Mask Tenneh." "Heh," chuckles Sally. "You an' Gran'ma." "Hmph," snorts Alice. "Kids like you don' know whatcha missed.")

The American Labor Party is scheduled to decide this afternoon on whether to withdraw its nomination of Joseph V. O'Leary for the position of Lieutenant Governor and instead endorse the Democratic Party's nomination of Lt. Gen. William N. Haskell. Haskell already has the support of the left wing of the ALP, led by Representative Vito P. Marcantonio and Eugene Connolly, who issued a statement yesterday praising Haskell for his "unswerving support of the win-the-war policies of President Roosevelt," and urging his support by "the Labor party, the organized trade union movement, and all independent liberal forces." A committee of three representing the ALP's right wing was appointed yesterday to examine Gen. Haskell's record "from a liberal-labor viewpoint."

An Italian Government order recalling men over the age of 37 to the armed forces was taken today in Allied circles as a sign that the new Bagdolio regime has "thrown in its lot entirely with Germany." The order ordering men born in 1906 back into uniform was accompanied by news of German troops pouring southward thru the Brenner Pass. These developments, taken together, were seen by observers as indicating full Axis preparations for an Allied invasion of the Italian mainland, and squashing any hopes of an immediate break by the Bagdolio government with the Axis.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(1).jpg

("Piffle!" -- obsolete legal term for "Balderdash!" See also "Bushwa," "Banana Oill," and "Bunk.")

A small supply of gasoline received at fifteen Nassau County service stations is being sold only to essential war workers by order of the local office of the Petroleum Administration for War. The PAW order covers only Long Island as the only location in District 1 where such an order has become necessary. Agents of the War Department are stationed at each dealer's pumps to check identification to insure compliance with the order.

Film star Betty Grable announced today that she and her husband, bandleader Harry James, are expecting their first child next spring.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(2).jpg

("Sorry, Yankee -- cash only.")

Reader Louis Gold complains that the East New York station of the Long Island Railroad may look pretty with its underground passages to the platforms, but you should see the "dozens of middle aged and old duffers who ought to know better defying their blood pressure and risking life and limb climbing over the parapet to reach the platform." Mr. Gold "cannot conceive of anybody with a grain of common sense building a street-level platform and then making it impossible to reach it directly from the street." He further notes that "in this neighborhood, there is a risk going into those passages after dark. The state of affairs there should be remedied immediately before there is accidental or purposeful violence."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(3).jpg

(War is Hell.)

A woman found half-clothed and unconscious yesterday on a bench in Fort Greene Park has been identified as the 41-year-old widow of a merchant seaman and the mother of a three-year-old girl. Mrs. Helen Martin of 771 MacDonough Street was identified at Cumberland Hospital by her brother. Mrs. Martin was still only semi-conscious this morning, suffering from a head injury, a cerebral hemmohrage, and bruises of the lips, arms, and hips. Police indicated that she had been the victim of a criminal attack. Her husband was killed this past January when his ship was torpedoed in European waters.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(4).jpg

("Frenchy's too old t'play t'oid base," sighs Joe. "I remember Sal and me useta see him playin' befoeh we got married." "I b'lieve t'marrah's a big day," reminds Ma Sweeney, wiping down the shining nickel-plated fountain spouts. "Yeh," nods Joe. "Six' annivoisehry. Hawrd t'b'lieve time goes so fas'. Seems like jus' yest'day we was goin' into Borra Hawl t'get t'license. An' hey, remembeh t'at crooked judge t'at got impeached a few yeehs back? T'at Judge Mawrt'n? He was t'one t'at married us. We had Solly Pincus f'bes' man, an'nis gal woiked wit' Sal downa Woolwoit's, Isabel Reznik, she was t'maid a' honneh. We hadda rush it, Sal was onneh lunch break. T'judge said "Do ya?" An' we said "We do," an' we signed t'papeh, an' Solly an' Isabel t'rew a han'fulla rice at us, an'nat was it. An' I remembeh -- you wasn' any too happy about it." "Ahhh," dismisses Ma. "I knew Sally never waanted no charrch weddin', but still, ye know, a maather has her dreams far her oonly daaghter..." "I dunno what t'get Sal f'ra annehvois'ry presn't," shrugs Joe. "I been t'inkin' about it." "Well, Joseph," notes Ma, "the sixth annivaarsary is ye iron annivaarsary." "I ain' gonna get 'eh a new iron," declares Joe. "Ev'n if I could get one." "Oi think thaat's wise," nods Ma.)

The Atlanta Black Crackers will appear for the first time ever at Dexter Park this weekend for a Sunday doubleheader against the Bushwicks. Lefty Gomez will try again for his second win of the season, after receiving a drubbing at the hands of the Philadelphia Stars last Sunday.

Radio critic William Jungst declares that whoever it is who's playing Burma these days in the radio adaptation of "Terry and the Pirates" sounds "more clamorous than glamorous."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(5).jpg

(Yeah, right.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(6).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Sid Krause. "I'm tawlleh'n'AT guy!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(7).jpg

(CUT! Can we take that closeup again, and look, try some gauze on the lens...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(8).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG KNOWS THERE ARE MANY VALID REASONS WHY SANDWICHES MIGHT BE STORED IN A LUNCH BOX.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(9).jpg

(I bet they really miss Uncle Venom at Bellevue.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_.jpg

"Hmph," sneers Leona Stockpool Blackston. "That place would hire ANYBODY."

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(1).jpg

Of course Butch would have an ordinance like this. Imagine *HIS* knees!

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(2).jpg

"Sorry sir, that's how they do it in the Air Corps."

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(3).jpg

Careful, Emil -- there are some things that can't be unseen.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(4).jpg

"By the way, do you have any lakes around here? Nice, deep lakes? Just curious, that's all."

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(5).jpg

"No starch though -- don't you know there's a war on?"

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(6).jpg

GOOSE HEAD! GOOSE HEAD! GOOSE HEAD!

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(7).jpg

YOU TELL 'IM KID!

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(8).jpg

You gotta admit Willie is spry for his age.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(9).jpg

Hey kid, why aren't you in the Junior Commandos?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(1).jpg

("Piffle!" -- obsolete legal term for "Balderdash!" See also "Bushwa," "Banana Oill," and "Bunk.")

It's another Kissinger on the Iran-Iraq war moment.

("Frenchy's too old t'play t'oid base," sighs Joe. "I remember Sal and me useta see him playin' befoeh we got married." "I b'lieve t'marrah's a big day," reminds Ma Sweeney, wiping down the shining nickel-plated fountain spouts. "Yeh," nods Joe. "Six' annivoisehry. Hawrd t'b'lieve time goes so fas'. Seems like jus' yest'day we was goin' into Borra Hawl t'get t'license. An' hey, remembeh t'at crooked judge t'at got impeached a few yeehs back? T'at Judge Mawrt'n? He was t'one t'at married us. We had Solly Pincus f'bes' man, an'nis gal woiked wit' Sal downa Woolwoit's, Isabel Reznik, she was t'maid a' honneh. We hadda rush it, Sal was onneh lunch break. T'judge said "Do ya?" An' we said "We do," an' we signed t'papeh, an' Solly an' Isabel t'rew a han'fulla rice at us, an'nat was it. An' I remembeh -- you wasn' any too happy about it." "Ahhh," dismisses Ma. "I knew Sally never waanted no charrch weddin', but still, ye know, a maather has her dreams far her oonly daaghter..." "I dunno what t'get Sal f'ra annehvois'ry presn't," shrugs Joe. "I been t'inkin' about it." "Well, Joseph," notes Ma, "the sixth annivaarsary is ye iron annivaarsary." "I ain' gonna get 'eh a new iron," declares Joe. "Ev'n if I could get one." "Oi think thaat's wise," nods Ma.)

A spare radio always makes a nice anniversary gift.

Radio critic William Jungst declares that whoever it is who's playing Burma these days in the radio adaptation of "Terry and the Pirates" sounds "more clamorous than glamorous."

The girl just can't catch a break. First, it's the humiliation of having to do short gigs in Poverty Row strips. Then someone from the peanut gallery throws out a barb about her having crows-feet and now some radio critic doesn't like her delivery. Jeez, she's just trying to earn a living like the rest of us.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(6).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Sid Krause. "I'm tawlleh'n'AT guy!")

Apparently, 1950s schlock-noir queen actress Beverly Michaels got her start in comicstrips.
220px-Beverly_Michaels.jpg

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(7).jpg

(CUT! Can we take that closeup again, and look, try some gauze on the lens...)

"I want THAT WOMAN barred from the studio audience or I quit, right now!"

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_.jpg

"Hmph," sneers Leona Stockpool Blackston. "That place would hire ANYBODY."

Governor Blackston: "You know what 'game' we haven't played lately, the pirate..."
Leone: [cutting him off] "Shush, the servants are still around. [sotto voce] I'll get the costume out after they go to bed."

A very quick internet search found several mentions of Gertrude Hahn, but not what happened to her after the war, which would be interesting to know.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(1).jpg

Of course Butch would have an ordinance like this. Imagine *HIS* knees!

Ms. Burbott might not quite understand it, but I bet she has felt an odd desire to spend intimate time with women. Ms. Berkowitz, on the other hand, has never felt that way.

Daily_News_Wed__Aug_25__1943_(9).jpg

Hey kid, why aren't you in the Junior Commandos?

She's waging her own war.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_.jpg

("Yeh," says Sally, "he's awrways good about r'membehrin' annehvoisehries," as, with Leonora on her hip, she ascends the stairs of 1760 63rd Street toward the second floor. "Ya lucky," sighs Alice. "I dunno if Siddy'd be anyt'ing like t'at. I mean, if we got married a' sump'n." "Siddy?" chortles Sally. 'Yeh," grins Alice. "I cawl'im 'Siddy.' I dunno if he likes it much, but he'll get uset'wit." "Heeh," interrupts Sally. "Hol' Leonoreh while I get t'key." The transfer is accomplished, the key is produced, and the door, with a protest from the swollen wood, finallly pushes open. "Huh," comments Sally, observing the sight therein. Huh.," agrees Alice. "Whassawlis?" continues Sally, hanging her bag on the peg near the door and approaching the kitchen table, where there sits, neatly displayed in three rows, stacks of folded laundry. "Sheets," observes Sally. "Pillehcases. Shoits. Baby clo'es. Unnehweah. Well, now!" "T'ez a note," indicates Alice, bending down to place Leonora on a chair, and forcing Stella the Cat to indignantly vacate. "Happy Iron Annehvoisehry," reads Sally. "I done t' ironin'. Love, Joe." "Hehhh," chuckles Alice. "T'at din' cawst'im nut'n, did it?" "T'es a PS," continues Sally with an inscrutable smile. "Whassit say?" inquires Alice. "It's poissonal," replies Sally, tucking the note down the front of her blouse. "Ah," nods Alice. "Ahhhhh," Sally agrees.)

Creation of an Allied southeast Asia command under Lord Louis Mountbatten, dashing British Commando leader, as commander in chief was accepted today as the first of several important developments to emerge from the Roosevelt-Churchill Quebec conferences during the next few weeks. Unofficial British sources in Ottawa believe that Lord Mountbatten's appointment for the conduct of operations based in India and Ceylon against Japan forecasts the appointment of an American general to command the future Allied invasion of Western Europe. That was considered a minor implication of the appointment, with the major implication being the indication of a major offensive this fall, as soon as the monsoon season ends, intended to drive the Japanese out of Burma and open China to the Allies.

Selective Service statistics showed today that over 26 months of drafting men for the Armed Forces, 27.8 percent of of the 5,043,135 sent to induction centers were rejected as unfit for the Army. The report, covering the period from the start of conscription in in 1940 thru November 30, 1942, was released today. 26.6 of white draftees were rejected and 36.6 percent of Negroes, for various reasons ranging from physical or mental unsuitability to illiteracy. Of New York men drafted over the time period indicated, the rejection rate stood at 30 percent.

All hearings in the legal case against the Childs Company paused today to allow Judge Simon H. Rifkind time to review the evidence presented thus far. His review was being made today in connection with motions to discharge the case against the chain restaurant firm from the jurisdiction of Manhattan Federal Court. It was doubted that a decision would be handed down on those motions before Monday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(1).jpg

(Why don't they just give him a punchcard?)

The city-wide shortage of dishwashers is seen as significant menace to health, according to Health Commissioner Dr. Ernest L. Stebbins, who notes a sharp increase in health-code violations in restaurants, taverns, and lunch counters due to a lack of dishwashing help. "The danger of the spread of respiratory and gastrointestinal infections from dirty dishes can become serious," warned Dr. Stebbins, who noted that due to the shortage of inspectors, the Health Department has been forced to devote most of its available staff to food-handling violations.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(2).jpg

("Stage Door Canteen," a throwback to the revue films of 1929-30, has something to please everyone and something to annoy everyone. It's up to you to decide which is which. Oh, and Jerry "Just Call Me Beanbag!" Lester, in the stage show, falls definitely into the ANNOYING camp. )

A Midwood woman has singlehandedly sold more than $3,000,000 worth of war bonds and stamps by a simple direct approach. Mrs. Ella Sobel of 1705 E. 5th Street presents herself at the doors of Brooklyn homes, dressed in the tidy navy blue-and-gold uniform of a Treasury Department bond sales agent, and makes her sales by "just sneaking up on people." She is simple and direct in her techique, and prides herself on selling the bonds in the morning and delivering them to the purchasers by evening. Along with door-to-door sales, you'll find Mrs. Sobel working the crowds at rallies, card parties, and meetings often until midnight. "Unfortunately," she explains, "we are a nation used to calling up and having our wants delivered to us, and people do not have the patience or the time to stand in line even to purchase war bonds and stamps. I just make it easy for those unable to get to the post office or to war bond booths and folks appreciate the service of having the bond delivered to them."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(3).jpg

("And you positively can't get them at the Rexall store!")

A Bedford-Stuyvesant man went on a rampage at a neighborhood gas station yesterday and threw a tire iron at the attendant when he was told there was no gasoline left. 29-year-old Prince A. Larrimore told Magistrate Abner Surpless in Broooklyn-Queens Night Court that he had waited patiently in line at the Atlantic Avenue station, but when his turn finally arrived, he saw attendant Michael Gimino putting up the "NO GAS" sign. Larrimore pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges and was fined $10. He had only $9.75 in his pocket, so the court kicked in the final quarter and gave the defendant a nickel for carfare home.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(4).jpg

(HERMANSKI'S ANOTHER MUSIAL! Except that Musial isn't going in the Navy!)

When the rosters expand in September, Dodger fans can expect to see "every young player possible" making their big-league debuts. President Branch Rickey indicates, however, that several fine prospects now with Montreal will have to wait if the Royals make it into the International League playoffs. Hometown fans may have to wait to see many of these players until next year, as, after one final homestand in early September, the Dodgers will finish their season on the road.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(5).jpg

("The sap! That 120 lb.-test rope is no good for anything!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(6).jpg

(Maybe she should get a bike that fits.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(7).jpg

("Oh yes, as a Secret Operative, my picture was in the paper a lot!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(8).jpg

("Grab that can of Spam and let's go!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(9).jpg

(Hmph. You're a pirate, go hijack a truck.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_.jpg

See, this is the difference between the News being a morning paper and the Eagle being an afternoon paper -- Tommy can go thru a whole marriage in between!

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(1).jpg

Hmph. You'd never see Priscilla in a beer ad.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(2).jpg

I SHALL HAVE ARMIES OF FOLLOWERS

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(3).jpg

It doesn't take much to impress some people.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(4).jpg

Poor emasculated Patrick.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(5).jpg

Obviously takes after his father.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(6).jpg

Ummmmmmmm.......

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(7).jpg

Where's your monkey?

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(9).jpg

She's like Annie, only a different type of bloodthirsty.

Daily_News_Thu__Aug_26__1943_(8).jpg

Hey Moon, better eat your lunch quick! Check the expiration date!

Kudos, Lizzie, for posting all the above despite Fedora's server / tech issues. I tried a few times to write and post some comments, but the system froze too many times and I can't devote any more time to it. Hopefully, the issue will get fixed soon.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_.jpg

("Imagine makin' a racket like t'at wit' cawrds," marvels Joe. "''Special' when'ez so many ut'eh rackets y'can get inta." Ma glances up from her nickel-counting, raises an eyebrow, and returns to her work. "How did ye annarrvarrsary go?" she asks, briskly changing the subject as she counts. "Aw, it was swell," says Joe. "I got home f'm woik an' Sal was fastehsleep, but we'eh gonna do some stuff on Sunday. Maybe go see a movie, maybe go out'n see t'Bushwicks. Well, if it rains, a'couese, we might hafta stay home, fin' ut'eh stuff t'do." Joe sips his egg cream, lost in thought. "Hey Ma," he interjects. "Iffit rains, y'tink ya c'd take Leonoreh f't'day? It'd be good fawreh t'get outta t'house, um, f'ra bit." "I was ahhhhlready plannin' on it," chuckles Ma, who was young once.)

Jammed cold-storage bins may force slaughterers to decrease meat production unless more refrigerated space can be found immediately, meatpacking sources in Chicago stated today. One packing company official asserted that the Government has built up a stockpile of stored food sufficient to supply Government needs for from ten months to a year. "Food has been part of our war policy," declared that meat executive. "The Government must be well supplied in the event of an emergency -- for example, if Italy surrendered tomorrow, most of this stored food would be shipped out immediately." But the same executive noted that this large supply has taken up so much cold-storage space that a crisis looms unless more space can be made available. Contributing to the present storage shortage is the fact that the Government is presently storing a large supply of turkeys to be served to the Armed Forces during the holiday season, along with over 209,000,000 pounds of butter intended both for military and Lend-Lease purposes.

The Russian threat to Poltava, German stronghold 77 miles southwest of Kharkov, increased today as Soviet flanking columns captured several more villages and battled their way thru the streets of a large town on its outer approaches. The Red Army broke into that town on the heels of German forces retreating after futile counterattacks. At last report, the Soviets were engaging the German garrison in fierce street fighting with rifles, tommy guns, bayonets, and hand grenades.

German soldiers disguised as civilians remain in Rome despite Italian efforts to declare it an open city, said to be waiting to aid a Fascist plot to regain control of the Italian government when Allied troops begin their invasion of the Italian mainland. A report received from an "Itaian traveler" arriving in Barcelona, Spain stated that the hidden troops number in the thousands, but it was not known if the plotters intend to restore Mussolini himself to power.

Once the seat of Democratic Party power in New York City, the famous old Tammany Hall building in Manhattan passed today to the ownership of the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union. The ornate brick-and-marble headquarters of the Society of Tammany, from which so much of New York's political authority over the past century, will now serve as the home of ILGWU Local 91, while Tammany itself will move into two rooms at the New York Democratic Club until the fraternal society can find new headquarters of its own. Tammany power has been on a steady decline since its last mayor, James J. Walker, left City Hall in 1932, and its loss of influence and prestige has accelerated since Mayor LaGuardia took office. Current leaders of the Society indicated today that they plan to put up a new building, but will "have nothing to do with politics henceforth." The ILGWU is one of the primary backers of the American Labor Party, which had a significant role in Tammany's downfall.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(1).jpg

(Never mind the calendar. Summer's over.)

Over five million Jews, more than 60 percent of the entire Jewish population of Europe, have been killed by the Nazis, the American Jewish Congress reported today. Convening for an all-day session at the Hotel Astor to formulate a plan for aiding the survival of Europe's remaining Jewish population, the AJC stated that more than 3,000,000 of that 5,000,000 have died since 1939 due to deliberate Nazi policies of planned starvation, forced labor, deportation, pogroms, and methodical murder in the German exetermination centers of Occupied Europe. The gathering of AJC delegates at the Astor is preliminary to a five-day session convening August 29th at the Waldorf-Astoria.

The Football Dodgers gathered today at Bear Mountain for their first training session of 1943, bearing little resemblance to the 1942 squad. Not a familiar face was to be spotted in the crowd of new players reporting for camp, with Pug Manders and Dean McAdams, the only returning veterans, not due in camp until next week. The Grid Flock opens its season in Detroit on September 26, with a roster to be made up primarily of 3-As and 4-Fs.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(2).jpg

(In 1943 you can have the "Hitler Dead Or Alive" Hitler or the "That Nazty Nuisance" Hitler, but you can't have them both at the same time.)

The Eagle Editorialist sniffs with distaste at the latest antics of Tommy Manville, noting that all his latest one-day marriage proves is that a wedding performed by a $25,000-a-year member of the New York Supreme Court is of no more value than one performed by "a two bit justice of the peace in a Connecticut country lane.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(3).jpg

("Can't you, you know, fix it? Help's hard to get!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(4).jpg

("T'ose weh swell times," reminisces Sally. "I'd go down'eah t' Schriebstein's, and I'd get MacPhail onna phone an'need lis'n t'what I had t'say. Why, if he'da done like I tol' 'im, wit' Petey, we'da won t'series in '41, you know t'at?" "Wasn' Petey playin'?" recalls Alice. "Remembeh, when Hoiman got hoit, t'ey put..""I AIN' TAWKIN' ABOUT T"AT!" snaps Sally. "Petey was outa practice, sitt'nonna bench awl summeh. If t'ey'd a haddim inneah awl season like t'ey shoulda, steada foolin' around wit' ol' man Hoiman annat Kampahoozis like t'ey done, he'da been ready t'go inna Series. In fack, Owen wouln'a dropp't t'at bawl, 'cause Petey woulda flashed 'im a sign t'at Casey was gonna t'row Henrich t'at wet big coive he done!" "Well, why din'nee?" queries Alice. "He was right inneah innat game." "He was distracted by t' crowd," growls Sally. "I was AT t'at game, remembeh, I was yellin'a whole time." "Poor Petey," sighs Alice. "Yeh," frowns Sally. "Neveh got a break.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(5).jpg

("Hey dumbbell," snorts the Ghost of Raven Sherman. "Take it from a gal who REALLY DID DIE -- you better grab it while you can.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(6).jpg

(Hey, whatever became of Lois DeFee?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(7).jpg

("A truck?" blanches Burma. "Look, does there have to be a truck?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(8).jpg
(Throw some oatmeal in there, fix that leak right up.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(9).jpg

("Sky sail?" C'mon, Harry, is this REAL pirate slang or are you just making it up?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_.jpg

C'mon, it's a whole day gone by and Manville isn't married again? C'mon, Tommy, you're slipping.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(1).jpg

Oh, well, all right then.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(2).jpg

Dottie pushes past all the other strips to get to the head of the line. TYPICAL.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(3).jpg

"Sure I'm modest! Yuh think I go around talkin' about my confirmed kills?"

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(4).jpg

Awwwww.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(5).jpg

Nah, g'head. She wouldn't mind.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(6).jpg

Careful, kid. You'll regret it the rest of your life.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(7).jpg

"But my sister's boy in the Air Corps is only 19 and already he's a colonel!"

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(8).jpg

"And you're STRANGE."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(9).jpg

And that's why trade school is always a good investment.

("Imagine makin' a racket like t'at wit' cawrds," marvels Joe. "''Special' when'ez so many ut'eh rackets y'can get inta." Ma glances up from her nickel-counting, raises an eyebrow, and returns to her work. "How did ye annarrvarrsary go?" she asks, briskly changing the subject as she counts. "Aw, it was swell," says Joe. "I got home f'm woik an' Sal was fastehsleep, but we'eh gonna do some stuff on Sunday. Maybe go see a movie, maybe go out'n see t'Bushwicks. Well, if it rains, a'couese, we might hafta stay home, fin' ut'eh stuff t'do." Joe sips his egg cream, lost in thought. "Hey Ma," he interjects. "Iffit rains, y'tink ya c'd take Leonoreh f't'day? It'd be good fawreh t'get outta t'house, um, f'ra bit." "I was ahhhhlready plannin' on it," chuckles Ma, who was young once.)

"Watch on the Rhine" is still playing.

Over five million Jews, more than 60 percent of the entire Jewish population of Europe, have been killed by the Nazis, the American Jewish Congress reported today. Convening for an all-day session at the Hotel Astor to formulate a plan for aiding the survival of Europe's remaining Jewish population, the AJC stated that more than 3,000,000 of that 5,000,000 have died since 1939 due to deliberate Nazi policies of planned starvation, forced labor, deportation, pogroms, and methodical murder in the German exetermination centers of Occupied Europe. The gathering of AJC delegates at the Astor is preliminary to a five-day session convening August 29th at the Waldorf-Astoria.

A surprisingly and sadly pretty accurate real-time count since the post-war number most often noted is 6 million, and there is still over a year and half of this horror of German exterminating Jews to go.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(2).jpg

(In 1943 you can have the "Hitler Dead Or Alive" Hitler or the "That Nazty Nuisance" Hitler, but you can't have them both at the same time.)

The Errol Flynn movie in production, "Uncertain Glory," is a very underrated gem. Paul Lukas and Flynn have great chemistry in it. You have to believe somebody high up at the studio had a sit-down with Flynn about his off-screen behavior before they stared filming this one.

("T'ose weh swell times," reminisces Sally. "I'd go down'eah t' Schriebstein's, and I'd get MacPhail onna phone an'need lis'n t'what I had t'say. Why, if he'da done like I tol' 'im, wit' Petey, we'da won t'series in '41, you know t'at?" "Wasn' Petey playin'?" recalls Alice. "Remembeh, when Hoiman got hoit, t'ey put..""I AIN' TAWKIN' ABOUT T"AT!" snaps Sally. "Petey was outa practice, sitt'nonna bench awl summeh. If t'ey'd a haddim inneah awl season like t'ey shoulda, steada foolin' around wit' ol' man Hoiman annat Kampahoozis like t'ey done, he'da been ready t'go inna Series. In fack, Owen wouln'a dropp't t'at bawl, 'cause Petey woulda flashed 'im a sign t'at Casey was gonna t'row Henrich t'at wet big coive he done!" "Well, why din'nee?" queries Alice. "He was right inneah innat game." "He was distracted by t' crowd," growls Sally. "I was AT t'at game, remembeh, I was yellin'a whole time." "Poor Petey," sighs Alice. "Yeh," frowns Sally. "Neveh got a break.")

Dear Lord. Some say the biggest lies are the ones we tell to ourselves.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(7).jpg

("A truck?" blanches Burma. "Look, does there have to be a truck?")

"Smoking is terrible for the skin. It causes, oh, things like crows-feet."
"I'M JUST TIRED!"

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(1).jpg

Oh, well, all right then.

No kidding, there was no way the News was going to let this story go by un-noted.

We jokingly say facts are stranger than fiction, but in truth, no publisher would ever except a novel that read like Manville's life.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(5).jpg

Nah, g'head. She wouldn't mind.

That is not how, even in 1943 and during a labor shortage, a fancy hotel hires its top chef and that is not how a top chef goes about preparing for the insanely complicated effort required to serve a hotel clientele.

How 'bout instead of the whip, you pick up a book, buddy? One of the things I discovered early in life is that you never have to be bored - stuck in waiting room, on a tarmac, etc. - if you have a book with you. Pre digital, I always carried a paperback if I went anywhere that I might have to wait, now it's even easier with digital books.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(8).jpg

"And you're STRANGE."

Let him go, Min. Think about it, you're still reasonably young and reasonably attractive and trading up for you simply means doing better than Andy. You should be all about a second marriage.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_27__1943_(9).jpg

And that's why trade school is always a good investment.

I've never known a time when a good electrician or good plumber wasn't in demand and at a high hourly rate.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
As felonious rape also occasions false imprisonment or outright kidnapping of determined length,
the Basquette trial within the American Army court martial standard metes severe consequence upon guilty verdict.
Those fiends who assaulted Miss O'Brien also engaged conspiracy yet were simply carted off to reformatory hold.
And all were of military conscription age register or close so as to warrant adult prosecution.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_.jpg

("Huh," huhs Joe. "T'ez cannystoehs on Lon Guylan'? Who knew?" "Hmph," hmphs Ma. "Th' vaaaary ideea of tarrnin' a place thaat should be a waaaalcomin' establishment faar fam'lies an' yoong chidren into a dennn of vice. Oi'll be bound, Joseph, if..." "Hiya, Ma," interrupts Hops Gaffney, sauntering in the front door and tossing a canvas pouch on the counter. "What's t'woid, bud?" he smirks at Joe as, shifting the toothpick into the corner of his mouth, he saunters out. "These neighbarhood boys," smiles Ma, as she discreetly slides the pouch under the counter. "Aaaalways c'llectin' f'waaaarthy causes." "I like t'donate t' woit'y causes," agrees Joe. "But I ain' got two dollehs.")

Four soldiers from Brooklyn and Queens have been reported killed in action during the invasion of Sicily. Pfc. Frederick Schieri and Pvt. Frank Hetzel, both of Bushwick, Pfc. Joseph C. Campbell of Woodside, and Capt. Donald K. Flesa of Fire Island were confirmed this week by the War Department as having given their lives during the battle to take the island. Capt. Flesa, a doctor in civilian life, was reported killed while caring for wounded men. Pfc. Scheiri was described by his mother, Mrs. Sylvia Schieri of 805 Knickberbocker Avenue, as a young man who "always went about with a song on his lips. A trained singer, Pfc. Schieri had appeared on the radio and in concerts at Town Hall before entering the service last summer, and had hoped to resume his musical career after the war.

A manufacturer who gave his residence as the St. George Hotel saw charges that he violated the Sullivan Law by carrying a pistol built into his walking stick dismissed yesterday in Brooklyn Felony Court. Fifty-one-year-old Irving Bieber told Magistrate Abner Surpless that he had won the cane in a war bond auction held at the hotel, and he had no idea that it concealed a .38-caliber revolver. Detective George Archer arrested Bieber after receiving an anonymous telephone tip that the manufacturer was carrying a concealed gun, but Magistrate Surpless ruled that while the gun-cane was a technical violation of the law, it was not an intentional violation on the part of the defendant.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(1).jpg

(Clip and save.)

Sixty-five head of cattle purchased by the city will be custom-slaughtered next week by the firm of Wilson & Company, after Commissioner of Purchase wrote to Controller Joseph P. McGoldrick arguing that "we cannot feed people theoretical meat and subpoenas." "We are more than willing," declared the Commissioner, "to buy meat at ceiling prices if honest, reliable sources of supply offer it to us. However, we cannot discontinue custom slaughtering until these reputable sources maintain a steady flow in quantities sufficient for our requirements."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(2).jpg

("Yes, kiddies, your papa was the chief adjutant of the Second Mimeograph Division!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(9).jpg

("A wail from a kennel full of unhappy pups.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(3).jpg

("Le's get downa brass tacks," fumes Sally. "If anybody's goin' ovehseas, how bout we send'em fathead Rickey! Trade 'im to t' Awrmy straight up f'MacPhail. "Heh," hehs Alice. "Tie a string to 'im an' use 'im f'ra barrage b'loon!" "Hey,"snickers Sally. "T'at's a pretty good one!" "Yeh," enthuses Alice. "I t'unk it up las' night. I couldn't get t'sleep." "Yeh," nods Sally. "It was sticky las' night." "Yeh," agrees Alice. "An' Siddy snoehs." "Ew," squints Sally. "Aw, whatcha t'inkin! I sleep wit' t' windehs open," declares Alice with a prim wrinkle of her Pert Irish Nose." "Y'don' mean t'ell me," Sally snorts, "t'at you c'n heeh'im awlaway downa basemen'." "Coese not," shrugs Alice. "He was out onna fieh 'scape.")

While Freddie Fitzsimmons' up and coming Phillies have been the toast of the City of Brotherly Love as late, their Shibe Park landlords aren't doing so well. The A's recently lost their twentieth straight game.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(4).jpg

(And as she collapsed to the floor, her skull struck with such force that it shattered -- cause of death, massive cerebral hemorrhage. RIP. NEXT STORY PLEASE.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(5).jpg

(Now Scarlet, let's not be catty. You had your chance.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(6).jpg

("Look, why do you even hire me if you don't want me to talk! I was known for my snappy, slangy dialog, you know! Remember when Terry and I tricked Kiel?? REMEMBER???")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(7).jpg

(Well, if you let the oil get that low, better you should bring back a horse to tow it back to town.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(8).jpg

(Even Reboot Jo is still Jo. Gawdblessya!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_.jpg

It was a gentler time.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(1).jpg

"Wait, what? Nobody told me about THAT!"

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(2).jpg

Ahhh, go buckle your seat belt.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(3).jpg

And don't forget the salt!

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(4).jpg

When Mr. Gray goes on a rampage, he doesn't fool around.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(5).jpg

Clearly, boredom is the least of Emil's problems.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(6).jpg

Y'know, Skeez, there's seven million guys in the Army right now, so you should really be able to find a higher class of friends.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(7).jpg
Actually, lions are rank opportunists. I guess the analogy works after all!

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(8).jpg

I don't know how a Victorian Cockney glazier happened to set up in this neighborhood, but you've got to admit that it was a shrewd choice.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_28__1943_(9).jpg

It's a little late to be questioning your life choices.

Thank you, again, Lizzie, for posting these Day-by-Days despite the server/tech issues. I know that's not easy.

To wit, I tried to post comments today, but the system froze up so often on me that I had to give up and return to the job that actually pays me money.

There was a window last night where the site was working better and I was able to put up a few movie review, and of course, it was working better for most of yesterday, but it seems like the server/tech problem has returned again today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael