Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Looking over the sheets I noted the posting regards southeastern England being shocked by bombing runs
over France; the Kennedy PT story, and of special note local boys felled or reported missing. A sailor reported
deceased had a surviving parent, his dad but a mother was not mentioned. I hope he wasn't alone. Cannot begin
to feel such anguish much less having to grieve as a widower without other children.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_.jpg

("Gawdawmighty," gasps Sally as the Western Electric day-shift shuttle bus moves slowly along Passaic Avenue thru clouds of dust and low smoke still hanging over the rubble of the Congoleum-Narin plant. "Awl'em people," whispers Alice. "I knew when we hoid t'at blast las' night while we was waitn'f't' train, an' nobody'd tell us nut'n, t'at it hadda be bad, but y'neveh spec' t'see nut'n like t'is..." "Aw'lem people," nods Sally. "Aw'lem people..." Her voice trails off as she turns away from the window, avoiding the sight, but not the smell, of the horror outside.)

Red Army forces slashed thru crumpled Axis defenses north of Kharkov in a drive to close the narrowing escape corridor and bottle up the German garrison. The Soviets are within sight of the Kharkov-Lezovaya railroad, which with a branch line 18 miles to the west is the last route of withdrawal for the German forces locked in a desperate battle to hold Russia's fourth largest city. Streaming thru Zmlev, 21 miles south of Kharkov, the Soviets seized a number of other towns yesterday. The Germans counterattacked in one sector but retreated after losing two tanks and two mobile guns.

Allied ground forces in New Guinea are in position today for a quick move against Salamaua after cleaning out enemy resistance on Bobdubi Ridge, four miles southwest of the coastal Japanese stronghold. A communique from the headquarters of Gen. Douglas MacArthur failed to note a single Japanese aerial foray over New Guinea, indicating that the Wewak disaster in which the enemy lost 215 out of a fleet of 225 aircraft was a decisive stroke.

The Childs Company was served today with an order by Federal Judge Simon H. Rifkind directing four officers of the restaurant chain to appear for examination before Referee Robert P. Stephenson at 10 AM on August 25th, or show cause why they should not be punished for contempt of court. As Judge Rifkind yesterday deferred until next Wednesday any action on a report by Referee Stephenson which would discharge the company from the jursidicion of Manhattan Federal Court, attorneys involved in the litigation surrounding the company immediately concluded that the report made last week will be disapproved. An attorney for an intervening creditor in the case has argued that, instead of a discharge, the company should be required to file a voluntary reorganization petition and evolve a plan under which all holders of its $5,000,000 debentures would receive like treatment. Prior to April 1 of this year, when those debentures were due to mature, some two thirds of the investors holding them were induced to exchange them for new debentures that will not mature until 1957, and on April 1st the company refused to honor the maturity of the debentures still outstanding. Since then, agents of the company have attempted to acquire the defaulted debentures "under the most favorable terms possible." The four corporate officers ordered to appear on August 25th have evaded process servers attempting to deliver court subpoenas for the past two weeks.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(1).jpg

(I wonder what Harold Gray will have to say about *this?*)

The caterpillar plague in Williamsburg may soon ease, with insect experts declaring that within a few days the hordes of worms will burrow into the ground to hibernate for the winter. Next summer, Williamsburg residents may look forward to a new plague, of moths.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(2).jpg

(Always nice to see that Gypsy is taking care of her pals -- Georgia Sothern, soon to appear in "The Naked Genius, had a prominent role in "Star and Garter," and is portrayed in "The G-String Murders" and "Mother Finds A Body" as Gyp's sidekick Gee-Gee Graham.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(3).jpg

(Dollar-a-year-man, marked down to 60 cents.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(4).jpg

("Jaaast who is this Coscaraart fellow, anyway?" inquires Ma. "Sally is aalways taalkin' aboot'im." "Ahhh, it's nut'n," sighs Joe. "He bumped inta 'eh onna subway steps one time an' said 'scuse me ma'am' a' sump'n like t'at, an' eveh since t'en it's awl she c'n tawk about. What is it wit' heh an' steps, anyways? When she ain' tawkin' 'bout Petey t'is an' Petey t'at, it's awlabout how Dorot'y Kilgallen push't 'eh onna steps at Erasmus once." "She used to race Michael up' an' down th' stairrs when we lived on Kingston Aavenue, an' he use t' poosh her," recalls Ma. "Who knows. But here now, Joseph, all this talk of this Coscaraart -- doon't it bother ye?" "Nahh," dismisses Joe. "I checked up on 'im, he's a nice guy. Married, wit' a kid, lives out'n California 'na awf season. Woiks inna gas station. Pretty straight shooteh. I mean, he ain' like t'at Koiby Higsby a' nut'n." "You found out aaaal that, did ye?" marvels Ma. "Did ye hire one of these proivate eyes?" "Nah," chuckles Joe. "I just read awlose awrticles outa t'papeh Sal had tacked up onna kitchen wawl. Heeh, gimme t' scissehs, she'll wanna save t'is one...")

Freddie Fitzsimmons' boys racked up another win last night, defeating Max Lanier and the Cardinals 6-5. 3000 fans from Chester, Pennsylvania turned up at Shibe Park to bid farewell to their hometown boy, Phils second sacker Danny Murtaugh, who played his last game for the duration unless he flunks his Army physical. Assuming he does not, Fitz will find himself on the lookout for a new keystone man.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(5).jpg

("Dear Miss Vance, My apologies -- due to an unfortunate mixup, your medical records were misfiled with those of an elderly woman who shares your address. You are not going to die, but the old lady's a goner. Sincerely, Dr. Q. K. Kwakk.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(6).jpg

(That must be a nice thing to be able to do...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(7).jpg

(Poor Burms. Slumming in a second-rate knockoff strip, has to furnish her own nickels for phone calls, and now she's even starting to get crows-feet.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(8).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG IS NOBODY'S HOSTAGE! WAIT, IS THAT KEN-L RATION?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(9).jpg

(LOWBROW! Ah, she's her mother's daughter. Call him a "BOLD FAKER!" next!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(4).jpg

Nobody says it but everybody knows what nobody's saying.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(5).jpg

Guess the rhumba craze has about run its course.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(6).jpg

"Um, is my toupee on straight?"

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(7).jpg

"I mean, you should see what those clowns tried to pull over at Curtiss-Wright!"

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(8).jpg

It's nice to see that Hugh Striver and his pals have found work.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(9).jpg

"Oh, by the way, what did you say Frank Flask's address was again? Is there a Junior Commandos unit in this town? Oh, just asking, just curious..."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(10).jpg

Once a dawg ALWAYS A DAWG.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(11).jpg

"All right, draw Marjorie Main only with Boris Karloff's head."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(12).jpg

That's what you get for shooting longs.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(13).jpg

"Hey that lady in the paper was a securities picker, why can't I???"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(1).jpg

(I wonder what Harold Gray will have to say about *this?*)

"Regarding wedding rings as necessities...." I sympathize a bit with the legitimate jewelers' dilemma, but still, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a necessity.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(2).jpg

(Always nice to see that Gypsy is taking care of her pals -- Georgia Sothern, soon to appear in "The Naked Genius, had a prominent role in "Star and Garter," and is portrayed in "The G-String Murders" and "Mother Finds A Body" as Gyp's sidekick Gee-Gee Graham.)

It's an odd decision by RKO to use a "Pride of the Yankees" book as a promotion in its Brooklyn theaters. Love to see a copy of that book today, but one imagines few survived with the quality of war-time paper, especially what would be used in a "freebie."

("Jaaast who is this Coscaraart fellow, anyway?" inquires Ma. "Sally is aalways taalkin' aboot'im." "Ahhh, it's nut'n," sighs Joe. "He bumped inta 'eh onna subway steps one time an' said 'scuse me ma'am' a' sump'n like t'at, an' eveh since t'en it's awl she c'n tawk about. What is it wit' heh an' steps, anyways? When she ain' tawkin' 'bout Petey t'is an' Petey t'at, it's awlabout how Dorot'y Kilgallen push't 'eh onna steps at Erasmus once." "She used to race Michael up' an' down th' stairrs when we lived on Kingston Aavenue, an' he use t' poosh her," recalls Ma. "Who knows. But here now, Joseph, all this talk of this Coscaraart -- doon't it bother ye?" "Nahh," dismisses Joe. "I checked up on 'im, he's a nice guy. Married, wit' a kid, lives out'n California 'na awf season. Woiks inna gas station. Pretty straight shooteh. I mean, he ain' like t'at Koiby Higsby a' nut'n." "You found out aaaal that, did ye?" marvels Ma. "Did ye hire one of these proivate eyes?" "Nah," chuckles Joe. "I just read awlose awrticles outa t'papeh Sal had tacked up onna kitchen wawl. Heeh, gimme t' scissehs, she'll wanna save t'is one...")

Joe's a special guy. I've said it before, Joe could have been successfully married to many women; Sally needed to find a Joe to have a successful marriage. Sally's a very good person, but she's not easy to be married to. It's not a man-woman thing as that dynamic was flipped in my parent's marriage.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(7).jpg

(Poor Burms. Slumming in a second-rate knockoff strip, has to furnish her own nickels for phone calls, and now she's even starting to get crows-feet.)

"They're not crows-feet, I'm just tired. These Poverty Row strips work us like dogs (no offense to my agent). Put me back in a real strip with normal hours and I'll spruce right up."
Daily_News_Fri__Jul_4__1941_(10).jpg

[Editor's note: They're crows-feet. Time catches up to all of us.]

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(4).jpg

Nobody says it but everybody knows what nobody's saying.

That picture is stunning. As you imply, this story might not be that far off from Hitchcock's 1942 movie "Saboteur."

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(11).jpg

"All right, draw Marjorie Main only with Boris Karloff's head."

Nice, Lizzie. You're not wrong, but that's harsh.

Daily_News_Fri__Aug_20__1943_(13).jpg

"Hey that lady in the paper was a securities picker, why can't I???"

Dottie's a pre-internet Sam Bankman-Fried.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_.jpg

("Hmph!" hmphs Alice. "Hey, y'know what t'eh needs t'be? T'eh needs to be whatchacawl a Society f' t' Prevention a' Disparagin' Remawrks About Redheads." "I remembeh t'at guy," snickers Sally. "You wasn' aroun' town'nen, but heeza guy, coupla yeehs back, got awl bent outa shape 'bout people wawkin' around in bat'in suits downa Coney Islan'. Wawn'ed it so y'couln' go on Soif Aveneh 'less ya had on street clo'es. Jus' anot'eh fathead!" "I bet," sneers Alice, "she's REALLY a blonde!")

An insurance lawyer who acknowledged under oath that he knows very little about bankruptcy testified today that he told his wife to sign a petition for involuntary bankruptcy for the Childs Company, representing herself as a creditor, even though, she admitted on the witness stand, she never knew she owned any debentures in the restaurant chain. Attorney Samuel Zinman and his wife Sadie K. Zinman took turns testifying in Manhattan Federal Court this morning, where Mrs. Zinman stated that "my husband told me to sign the petition, and whatever my husband tells me to do, I do." Attorney Zinman admitted inducing her to sign the document, testifying that he "believed it best for the financial future of the Childs Company," and further testified that he reached that conclusion after consultation with attorneys representing the firm's creditors and the firm's own legal counsel. Mr. Zinman, while acknowledging that his wife did not know that she owned any Childs debentures when she signed the petition, presented documents indicating that he had bought the debentures in her name over a period of time beginning May 15th, using a brokerage account over which he holds power of attorney. He added that the debentures were sold shortly after the bankruptcy petitions were filed. Last week, bankruptcy referee Robert P. Stephenson ruled that Mrs. Zinman and three other persons whose names appear on the petitions were not bona-fide creditors of the firm.

The death toll has reached twelve as the search for bodies continues today in the rubble of the Congoleum-Narin plant in Kearny, New Jersey. The cause of the explosion which leveled Building No. 12 of the factory complex and set an adjacent building afire, has not been determined. Unofficial estimates place total monetary damage in excess of $3,500,000. Army and Federal officials are questioning survivors of the blast, but Kearny police stated today that "there is no suspicion of sabotage." War work at the remaining Congoleum-Narin buildings is expected to resume within 48 hours.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(1).jpg

(GOOD DOG)

Hundreds of Brooklyn motorists today find themselves relieved of the burden of having to decide if a planned weekend trip is or is not justified because of the fact that they just can't get the gasoline. With the metropolitan area locked in the grasp of the worst gasoline shortage since last May, fully half of the borough's filling station pumps are reported dry. Government and trade officials warned today that the situation is only going to get worse unless immediate remedial action is taken, but there is no indication in industry circles that any increase in the local petroleum supply can be expected for at least another two or three weeks.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(2).jpg

("Well, yes sir, that goes without saying. Um, did you have a joke or a humorous remark to add, or can we just move on to the next page?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(9).jpg

("Duffy's Tavern" is one of the best-written comedy shows on the air, largely due to the fact that Mr. Gardner has the habit of hiring every writer in town. If you make him laugh at a party, you've got a job.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(3).jpg

("Cookie's comin' back?" notes Joe. "T'at guy wit' t'balloons gonna glad to heeh t'at." "Oi'll nevarr understan'," shrugs Ma, "this fiiixation all ye people have on these baaaalplayers. It's a game farr little boys, but Oi swear, t'way somm people in this town caaary aaaahn aboot it, y'd thinnk they was leeeead'n the way t'saaalvation." "Ahhh,c'mon, Ma," chuckles Joe. "You don' mean t'tell me when we wonna pennant yeeh befoeh las' you wasn' right up t'eh on Flatbush Aveneh cheerin' onnat parade like awla rest'v us. I know you was." "Thaaat was diff'r'nt," snips back Ma thru pursed lips. "Oi waanted to wave to me good friend Mr. Fitzsimmons, that's aaahl." "Been to Philly lately?" "What?" ""S'only two houehs onna train!")

Special American and National League All-Star teams may tour overseas theatres of war to play teams made up of American servicemen, according to a report broadcast last night by NBC's Bill Stern. Stern revealed that Dodger president Branch Rickey has put the proposal before War Department authorities in Washington, and that an Army official cabled General Dwight D. Eisenhower to determine his views on the proposal. According to Stern's report, the General cabled back that, not only does he endorse the plan, he insists that the teams stay overseas for at least a month. Asked about the report by telephone, Commissioner K. M. Landis refused to make any comment at this time.

For the first time in any Giant fan's memory, Mel Ott was booed at the Polo Grounds during the recent series against the Reds. "I deserved it," said the outfielder-manager. "I shouldn't be out there, since I'm not helping the club."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(4).jpg

("Unless full remittance of this past due amount is received by this office within thirty days we shall be forced to turn your account over to our agents for collection.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(5).jpg

(Ah, I love a good hard-boiled gangster story.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(6).jpg

(Poor Burma, playing it out to the last.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(7).jpg

(Y'know, hon, truth is, YOU could walk off next, and it'd be a week before he'd notice you were gone.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(8).jpg

(And I bet it's not even legal size!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_.jpg

Page Four has been rough reading lately.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(1).jpg

Now this is more like it.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(2).jpg

Meanwhile, what about Rouge, who is rampant somewhere in China wearing Taffy's dog tags.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(3).jpg

Mr. Gray is mad at his minister too.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(5).jpg

"I"m gonna go for a dramatic Rita Hayworth kind of look. We've got the same jawline, right?"

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(6).jpg

"But doesn't it bother you that all these guys are old enough to be your father?" "Hmmmm. Nahhh."

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(7).jpg

WELL THAT WAS EASY

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(8).jpg

"Oh he shouldn't worry. I go off duty in ten minutes. Wait'll you meet Bruno, he's got the next shift!"

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(9).jpg

It's so rare to encounter sincere remorse.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(10).jpg

WIth that neck of his, you know he'd be the prime suspect anyway.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_.jpg

("Hmph!" hmphs Alice. "Hey, y'know what t'eh needs t'be? T'eh needs to be whatchacawl a Society f' t' Prevention a' Disparagin' Remawrks About Redheads." "I remembeh t'at guy," snickers Sally. "You wasn' aroun' town'nen, but heeza guy, coupla yeehs back, got awl bent outa shape 'bout people wawkin' around in bat'in suits downa Coney Islan'. Wawn'ed it so y'couln' go on Soif Aveneh 'less ya had on street clo'es. Jus' anot'eh fathead!" "I bet," sneers Alice, "she's REALLY a blonde!")

It's possible the wife is exaggerating, but I'll take the other side of the comment that the redhead is "merely a member of a political club to which he belongs." It is amazing how many of these "you should live your life this way" politicians are hypocrites. It never changes. Sure, we all fall short of our ideals, but that's not what appears to be going on here.

The death toll has reached twelve as the search for bodies continues today in the rubble of the Congoleum-Narin plant in Kearny, New Jersey. The cause of the explosion which leveled Building No. 12 of the factory complex and set an adjacent building afire, has not been determined. Unofficial estimates place total monetary damage in excess of $3,500,000. Army and Federal officials are questioning survivors of the blast, but Kearny police stated today that "there is no suspicion of sabotage." War work at the remaining Congoleum-Narin buildings is expected to resume within 48 hours.

"...there is no suspicion of sabotage." Uh-huh.

Special American and National League All-Star teams may tour overseas theatres of war to play teams made up of American servicemen, according to a report broadcast last night by NBC's Bill Stern. Stern revealed that Dodger president Branch Rickey has put the proposal before War Department authorities in Washington, and that an Army official cabled General Dwight D. Eisenhower to determine his views on the proposal. According to Stern's report, the General cabled back that, not only does he endorse the plan, he insists that the teams stay overseas for at least a month. Asked about the report by telephone, Commissioner K. M. Landis refused to make any comment at this time.

Can you imagine the logistical complications of pulling this off?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(4).jpg

("Unless full remittance of this past due amount is received by this office within thirty days we shall be forced to turn your account over to our agents for collection.")

Today that letter would be a seven-pages-long "Explanation of Benefits" (which is the exact opposite of what it is) that is indecipherable except for the boldly printed "You Owe" section.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(6).jpg

(Poor Burma, playing it out to the last.)

Go easy on Burma, the last few offers she's gotten are from other Poverty Row strips to play the sexy mother of a teenage boy. She's not mentally ready to accept that she's aging into "hot mother" roles in obscure strips. That crack, yesterday, about the crows-feet really hurt her. She was seen in a Rexall yesterday after work buying some fancy face cream.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(7).jpg

(Y'know, hon, truth is, YOU could walk off next, and it'd be a week before he'd notice you were gone.)

He's not evil at all, but he is the most unawarely selfish father and dog owner ever.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(1).jpg

Now this is more like it.

I continue to be amazed at how many female magistrates pop up in the 1940s.

I have a feeling the kid's father will be harder on him than the magistrate or the restaurant owner were.

Daily_News_Sat__Aug_21__1943_(6).jpg

"But doesn't it bother you that all these guys are old enough to be your father?" "Hmmmm. Nahhh."

With so many young men away, there had to be a lot of men in their thirties and forties dating women in their twenties. It's all about supply and demand.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It's possible the wife is exaggerating, but I'll take the other side of the comment that the redhead is "merely a member of a political club to which he belongs." It is amazing how many of these "you should live your life this way" politicians are hypocrites

there had to be a lot of men in their thirties and forties dating women in their twenties. It's all about supply and demand.

With all the horrors of war these minor stories about redheads and politicians and available males bring laughs.
And the female lifeguard is quite splendidly sketched in the cartoon.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_.jpg

("Sal?" whispers Joe, as the first rays of the morning sun break between the rooftops of 63rd Street and stream lightly across the bed. "You awake?" "Nuhhhhhh," nuhhs Sally, wishing she wasn't. "What would hap'n," he begins, leaning back on the pillow, "if we slept in t'day?" "Mmmmm," agrees Sally. "It's Sunday," observes Joe. "We ain' gotta go t'woik. Leonoreh's asleep. We got abs'lutely nut'n t'do t'day an' we got awlday t'do it in. What if we stay in bed till 9? Who's ta know? An' if we do'wanna 'zackly *sleep* late, well, t'ez awrways..." "Ahhhhh," ahs Sally. "Mrrrrowp!" interjects Stella the Cat, leaping up and pawing at the bedspread. "Oh," sighs Joe.)

The German High Command has flashed an invasion alert to Axis garrisons from Norway to the Balkans, it was reported last night, amid increasing speculation that Gen. Sir Bernard Paget, who led the defeated Allied Expeditionary Force out of Norway in 1940 had been chosen to head the Allied invasion of Western Europe. Axis broadcasts made no effort to minimize the gravity or the imminence of the invasion threat, and reports reaching United Nations governments in London said that the Germans have ordered their defense lines prepared "for any eventuality." In London, speculation ran high that a decision to appoint General Paget to lead that invasion has already been reached, during the the recent Roosevelt-Churchill conference at Quebec. Paget's name was again brought to the fore yesterday when it was announced that he was promoted from Lieutenant General in charge of Britain's home forces to full General.

A proposal by Sen. Robert R. Reynolds (D-NC) of the Senate Military Affairs Committee that would require a "definite, once-and-for-all statement" from War Manpower commissioner Paul V. McNutt and Selective Service chief Gen. Louis Hershey on the question of the conscription of fathers was put forward last night, with Sen. Reynolds acknowledging that "the war is far from won," and stressing that he has no intention of interfering with the development of the Armed Forces to the extent necessary for victory. "But one day," he asserted, "we have a statement from Hershey and the next day we hear that McNutt has said an entirely different thing. I believe that they will have to make one important decision on exactly what fathers they will have to take." The War Manpower Commission's latest statement on the drafting of pre-Pearl Harbor fathers, made on Friday, indicated that it is "now statistically certain" that local draft boards will be required to start inducting fathers of children born before December 7, 1941 as of October 1st in order to meet increasing demands from the Armed Forces. Senator Reynolds has endorsed the general provisions of a bill proposed by Sen. Burton K. Wheeler (D-Montana) to defer all prewar fathers until January 1, 1944, and favors the induction of "all single men" before any prewar fathers are taken from any state.

A Finnish bid for peace appears imminent today with increasing pressure mounting in Helsinki for a change in government that will remove Finland from the Axis camp. A manifesto from 50 prominent Finns representing various political groups was presented yesterday to President Risto Ryti demanding "definite action to explore the possibility of a separate peace" with the United Nations. The critical nature of the diplomatic situation was underlined by the arrival in the capital of Field Marshal Baron Gustav von Mannerheim and his chief of staff, who hurried from the front to join the discussion. Berlin is reported to have sent its Minister to Finland, Dr. Wilpert Von Blucher, to Helsinki to "obtain firsthand information" on the situation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(1).jpg

(Good to see that Miss Marble is keeping busy! Give me a pair in 9 1/2 D.)

A two-block long line of cars wrapped around a Brownsville gas station yesterday, giving vivid testimony to the severity of the gasoline shortage in Brooklyn. At Max's Service Station, East New York Avenue and Rockaway Parkway, motorists assembled in a lengthy queue as soon as word spread in the neighborhood that a gasoline delivery truck had arrived. Motorists honked their horns impatiently as they waited for their turn at the pumps. Reports last night indicated that 75 percent of Brooklyn gas pumps are dry, with little prospect of immediate relief, and predictions among service station owners and retail gasoline associations are that conditions will remain critical for at least another three weeks. Diversion of fuel originally earmarked for Eastern distributors to the Middle West, and the public's failure to cooperate with the pleasure-driving ban are blamed for the present crisis.

A study of the use of music to motivate war workers concludes that factory workers should be encouraged to "whistle or sing along" to music piped into war plants over loudspeakers as a way of encouraging improved production. The report by War Production Board specialist Dr R.L.Dardanell of East Montclair, New Jersey warns, however, that "Indian war whoops" are "too much." Dr. Dardanell also discourages the broadcast of "hot jazz" to war workers.

An official report is to be released on Monday on the question of whether sabotage was involved in the explosion that destroyed a Congoleum-Narin factory building in Kearny, New Jersey last week. Local police maintain that the likely cause of the blast that killed twelve workers was "spontaneous combustion of dry cork and linoleum dust," but agents of the FBI, Army, and Navy Intelligence have been investigating the possibility that the explosion was the work of saboteurs.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(2).jpg

("Hey Sal!" calls Hilda Chester from her seat in Section 37. "I t'ought you was boycott'n!" "I am," declares Sally, as she and Joe and Alice sidle along the row toward their seats. "I didn' buy no ticket, so it don' count!" "I still dunno why Sid didn' wanna come," grumbles Alice. "T'ez ya reason down'eah," snickers Joe, pointing down across the diamond toward an excessively tall young man with a big blue 8 on his back. "Sid can't measueh up!" "Aw, shaddup," blushes Alice. "Why ya gotta say stuff like t'at. Me an' Sid's gotta unnehstan'in', even if sometimes he don' unnehstan' it. B'sides, I ain' even met Howie. I come heeh jus' t'admieh from awfawr." "I ask ya," snorts Sally. "Who gets awl woiked up about some dumb bawlplayeh she ain' even met." Alice shoots Sally a wounded glare. "B'sides, he's just ano'teh one a' Rickey's dime stoeh bums," Sally continues. "Who f'gets how many outs t'eh is, anyways? A collitch man! HAH! Camilli wouldn'a done'at." "Aw, he ain' so bad," interjects Joe. "T'at's right, bud," shouts Hilda. "He's got t'right kin'a shoit on, an'nat's good enough f'me! HIYA HOWIE!" "Hey, mind ya business," yells back Alice. "HEY HOWIE! OVEH HEEH!" "He's weahrin' Bobo Newsom's old shoit," grumbles Sally. "Lotta good it'll do 'im!")

Lefty Gomez starts again for the Bushwicks today out at Dexter Park, where the Philadelphia Stars of the Negro National League will attempt to take the measure of the former Yankee star. Two weeks ago, the Black Yankees nearly put an end to Gomez's career with the Woodhaven boys, when a hard-hit line drive thru the box nearly broke his leg. But the 35-year-old Senor looked great last week in a five-inning stint against the New London Coast Guardsmen, striking out four.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(3).jpg

("Petrauskas?" murmurs Mrs. Jones, as Ma Sweeney steps to the front of the book-signing line at Abraham & Straus. "On Leonard Street? I knew a Lina Petrauskas, about fifteen or sixteen years old I think, who used to do laundry around there. I think I heard she was raising her little brother. Their parents had died, I think. I never knew the whole story. Did you know them too?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(4).jpg

(Wouldn't Little Beaver and Annie make a great couple?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(5).jpg

(Mr. Fadiman has got to read that fast to keep up with Oscar Levant.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(6).jpg

(Keep your back rigid like that and you're gonna wind up awful sore in the morning!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(7).jpg

(You know, Phil, you should try iodized salt for those thyroid eyes. And I think this is the first I've ever heard of Australian baseball. Hey Rickey, send some scouts!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(8).jpg

("BROOKLYN?? But don't only the DEAD know Brooklyn?" And poor Burma, after Pat Ryan she JUST CAN'T GO THRU WITH IT.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_.jpg

Well, gee, I mean, driving a cab, it's hard to meet people.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(1).jpg

NOBODY likes beets! Right Leonora? "SPPPPPPPPPTTTTTT!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(2).jpg

Wait. "12 PAGES COMIC SECTION 12 PAGES?" No more 16????? I DON'T LIKE THE LOOKS OF THIS.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(3).jpg

Annie -- CUT TO HALF A PAGE??? HEY GRAY STEP UP YOUR GAME!

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(4).jpg

"Gasoline Alley" is now half a page too??? Hint: click on the image to enlarge. Too bad 1943 can't do that.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(5).jpg

Is EVERYBODY half a page now? WAR IS HELL.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(6).jpg

Maybe the News needs to contact Mother Hubbard about getting more paper!

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(7).jpg

Carl Ed says HA HA, I'VE HAD TO DEAL WITH IT FOR A YEAR NOW!

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(8).jpg

While Mosely says "HMPH I COULD FIT THIS MUCH PLOT INTO A QUARTER PAGE! GO AHEAD! TRY ME!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(9).jpg

"I WON'T DO A HALF PAGE AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! GOULD DOESN'T HAVE TO AND I WON"T EITHER!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_22__1943_.jpg

("Sal?" whispers Joe, as the first rays of the morning sun break between the rooftops of 63rd Street and stream lightly across the bed. "You awake?" "Nuhhhhhh," nuhhs Sally, wishing she wasn't. "What would hap'n," he begins, leaning back on the pillow, "if we slept in t'day?" "Mmmmm," agrees Sally. "It's Sunday," observes Joe. "We ain' gotta go t'woik. Leonoreh's asleep. We got abs'lutely nut'n t'do t'day an' we got awlday t'do it in. What if we stay in bed till 9? Who's ta know? An' if we do'wanna 'zackly *sleep* late, well, t'ez awrways..." "Ahhhhh," ahs Sally. "Mrrrrowp!" interjects Stella the Cat, leaping up and pawing at the bedspread. "Oh," sighs Joe.)

What I don't understand about the check stealer is how he cashed them at local stores. One, the checks would be made out to other people, so our thief would have to credibly endorse them over to himself, which is a bit suspicious to start.

Two, the local store, which in those days were very careful about handling checks as they were stuck if the banks wouldn't cash them, would have to overlook this suspicious endorsement and accept a "third party check" from a young kid who, I'm guessing, wasn't the most-confidece-inspiring looking guy.

Finally, what happened when the store owner went to the bank with this mess? Again, checks were a serious business back then as, pretty much, you paid in cash or with a check and merchants and banks were very careful about identifying signatures, checking IDs, knowing their customers, etc.

An official report is to be released on Monday on the question of whether sabotage was involved in the explosion that destroyed a Congoleum-Narin factory building in Kearny, New Jersey last week. Local police maintain that the likely cause of the blast that killed twelve workers was "spontaneous combustion of dry cork and linoleum dust," but agents of the FBI, Army, and Navy Intelligence have been investigating the possibility that the explosion was the work of saboteurs.

Nice to see the "we've ruled out saboteurs" effort has failed and it will, hopefully, be honestly investigated.

("Hey Sal!" calls Hilda Chester from her seat in Section 37. "I t'ought you was boycott'n!" "I am," declares Sally, as she and Joe and Alice sidle along the row toward their seats. "I didn' buy no ticket, so it don' count!" "I still dunno why Sid didn' wanna come," grumbles Alice. "T'ez ya reason down'eah," snickers Joe, pointing down across the diamond toward an excessively tall young man with a big blue 8 on his back. "Sid can't measueh up!" "Aw, shaddup," blushes Alice. "Why ya gotta say stuff like t'at. Me an' Sid's gotta unnehstan'in', even if sometimes he don' unnehstan' it. B'sides, I ain' even met Howie. I come heeh jus' t'admieh from awfawr." "I ask ya," snorts Sally. "Who gets awl woiked up about some dumb bawlplayeh she ain' even met." Alice shoots Sally a wounded glare. "B'sides, he's just ano'teh one a' Rickey's dime stoeh bums," Sally continues. "Who f'gets how many outs t'eh is, anyways? A collitch man! HAH! Camilli wouldn'a done'at." "Aw, he ain' so bad," interjects Joe. "T'at's right, bud," shouts Hilda. "He's got t'right kin'a shoit on, an'nat's good enough f'me! HIYA HOWIE!" "Hey, mind ya business," yells back Alice. "HEY HOWIE! OVEH HEEH!" "He's weahrin' Bobo Newsom's old shoit," grumbles Sally. "Lotta good it'll do 'im!")

Dear Lord.

("Petrauskas?" murmurs Mrs. Jones, as Ma Sweeney steps to the front of the book-signing line at Abraham & Straus. "On Leonard Street? I knew a Lina Petrauskas, about fifteen or sixteen years old I think, who used to do laundry around there. I think I heard she was raising her little brother. Their parents had died, I think. I never knew the whole story. Did you know them too?")

That's nice of Ma to do for Sally.

(You know, Phil, you should try iodized salt for those thyroid eyes. And I think this is the first I've ever heard of Australian baseball. Hey Rickey, send some scouts!)

I just assumed they played cricket with gloves made from Wallaby hides.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(2).jpg

Wait. "12 PAGES COMIC SECTION 12 PAGES?" No more 16????? I DON'T LIKE THE LOOKS OF THIS.

Well, we all have to do our part to help the boys fighting over there for us.

I don't think all that putty and spirit gum will mix well with the heat of working in a commercial kitchen all day.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_22__1943_(9).jpg

"I WON'T DO A HALF PAGE AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! GOULD DOESN'T HAVE TO AND I WON"T EITHER!"

Being the best should and does have its privileges.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I do know a little baseball and believe this converse with Taffy was a striker out.

The assorted articles about husband buyer, acid murder in jealous rage, and the divorce judge record sent
shivers but the magistrate had been himself wed fifty-five years so the sting was sweetened.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_.jpg

("Hey," heys Joe as Ma pushes his glass across the counter. "I got a letteh t'day f'm me pal Solly Pincus. V-Mail! Lissen heeh. 'Deeh Joe an' Sal,' he says. "T'eh is not a whole lot I can tell ya about wheah I am owr what I'm doin' it, 'cept to say I am heeh an' we awr doin' it. T'ings awr movin' very fast, an' it is not of'n I sleep inna same spot two nights inna row but you get use ta t'at. Remembeh when we had t'at apawrtmn' t'getteh in good ol' Williamsboig? It is not quite t'at loud oveh heeh, but it's pretty close. Ha! Ha!' See, he's laughin'neah, awrways wit' t' jokes. An'nen he says 'What is t'is I heeh about t' Dodgehs tradin' Camilli? You heeh a lotta crazy rumehs durin' a wawr, so I have not been putt'n too much stock innat. If ya get a chance send me some Eagles so I c'n set t'ese bums aroun' heeh straight. Also, if ya wanna sen' me a few paiehs a' socks, I could really use'm. We do a lotta wawkin' oveh heeh. My bes' t' Sal an'na baby, ya pal Solly.' T'at's a pretty good letteh, ain' it." "Oh yes," sighs Ma. "You -- um -- ain' hoid nut'n moeh about Mickey, huh?" "No, Joseph," Ma continues, "not since that laaaast letter. They still haavn't told me wharr he's bein' held, I suppose they will when they foind out." "T' wawrs gonna be oveh by Chris'mas," reiterates Joe, pointing to the blaring headline atop the stack of Eagles on the counter. "If I sen' Solly some socks, I wonneh if t'wawr'll be oveh by t'time he gets'm." "Let's hope so," replies Ma.)

Allied troops held heights overlooking the Salamaua airdrome on the New Guinea coast today after a two mile advance. American artillery pounded the main defenses of the enemy coastal base with increasing fury as the Yank and Australian jungle troops tightened lines hemming the Salamaua Peninsula preliminary to the final assault. A communique announced that the Aussies seized the ridge commanding the airdrome from the south yesterday, bringing them to within little more than a mile of Salamaua town, which has been largely destroyed by Allied bombing, and practically against the main defense works, behind which the enemy has taken hasty refuge.

Reaction to the change in Soviet ambassadors to the United States today revealed again the uneasiness with which the capital views any possibility of an alteration in Soviet foreign policy. Some sources pointed out today that the ambassadorial shift in Washington and in London could have been dictated by the Soviet Government's uneasiness toward Anglo-American military and diplomatic policies. While some observers speculated that the shift may herald a coming change in Soviet policy up to or even possibly including efforts toward a separate peace with Germany, there was no actual indication that the replacement of Maxim Litvinoff by a young unknown, Andrei A. Gromyko, formerly a charge d'affairs, at the Soviet embassy in Washington in fact has any such significance. Speculation as to possible shifts in Soviet policy has intensified since Stalin was not invited to participate in the Roosevelt-Churchill conference in Quebec.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(1).jpg

(Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....)

In his weekly radio talk yesterday, Mayor LaGuardia lashed out at critics of his education policy, accusing they themselves of seeking to exercise political control over the Board of Education. Responding to an assertion by Dr George B. Counts of Columbia University, the vice president of the American Federation Teachers and the state chairman of the American Labor Party, that recent actions by his administration seek to undermine the Board's authority, the Mayor declared that "no matter what any group of people may say, we have the best school system in the world right here in New York City, and let me say to the people of New York that there is no politics or interference in our school system -- not by the Mayor and not by any small group either." The Mayor insisted that "the Board of Education and the paid professional staff will continue to run our schools aas long as I am Mayor." The Mayor further maintained that he is happy to receive Dr. Counts' advice on educational matters, but declared that his position as a party chairman does not entitle him to any special influence, "even if it happens to be the political party in which I am enrolled."

The Mayor also proclaimed the continuation of his campaign against "tinhorn gamblers," announcing that he has directed the Police Department, when it picks up "common professional gamblers" to determine if such persons have "bonafide and lawful employment," and if they do not, to take them immediately to the nearest United States Employment Office and cause them to take a job, or face imprisonment on vagrancy charges.

New York City vacationists, stranded in the Catskill Mountains as a consequence of the gasoline shortage, are besieging service stations again today in an effort to obtain fuel to take them home which is not available. No relief from the gasoline drought is yet in sight. Vacation motorists in Sullivan County expressed frustration that when a drop of gasoline does appear at a local station, it is reserved for the use of local customers. At Grossinger's Hotel in Ferndale, largest resort in the Catskills, it was reported that about a hundred vacationers from New York City have no way to get home.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(2).jpg

(Pat O'Brien in a football picture? The trouble with Hollywood is that they never try anything new. And speaking of which, when "Sons 'o Fun" closes next week it'll be the first time in five years there hasn't been an Olsen and Johnson show on Broadway. MIGHT AS WELL JUST CLOSE THE WHOLE STREET DOWN.)

The Eagle Editorialist denies the rumors that Nature herself has a grudge against Williamsburg, as some have suggested given the present problems with smoke and caterpillars. "It is our hunch," the EE postulates, "that the caterpillars are so numerous in Williamsburg because the smoke is so thick they cannot find their way out."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(3).jpg

(#metoo1943)

A 49-year-old Flatbush woman received some friendly advice from Magistrate Francis X. Giaccone when she appeared before him on bookmaking charges. Mrs. Levina M. Kearley of 1049 Sterling Place pleaded innocent to the charge, but in continuing her bail at $500 pending an appearance in Flatbush Court on Friday, Magistrate Giaccone admonished her to find another line of work. "With women as WAVES, WACs, and welders, the trend of the times brings them in as bookmakers too," he observed. "For your own sake I advise you to get out of the business before you get trampled upon." Mrs. Kearley protested that she is not a bookmaker at all, but rather, that she is a corsetiere.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(4).jpg

("See?" says Alice. "Like I tol' ya yest'day, it's awla matteh a' whatchacawl geometry. See, Howie bein' tawl like he is, he's got a reach! Camilli, he was a lit'l guy, he couln' do like inna pitcheh heeh. But Howie, jeez, lookit how fawr he c'n reach." "Ahhhhh," sneers Sally. "T'at's jus' moeh'a t'at Rickey propagandeh. Parrott wants t'get a jawb with t' ol' fathead, an' ev'rybody knows it. He's sneakin' t'is stuff inna papeh t'get in good, t'at's awl." "Howie hit'n a home run, t'ough," points out Alice. "T'at wan' no Rickey propagandeh." "Hmph," hmphs Sally. "Rickey prob'ly had'm sneak in some'a t'em ol' pre-wawr balls, give'm a good one t'hit, t'at's awlat is." "Petey made a erreh," notes Alice. "Too bad." "Rickey done'at too," growls Sally. "He had'm put pebb'ls inneh infield, t'make 'im look bad. T' FATHEAD!")

The Philadelphia Stars mauled Lefty Gomez in the first inning yesterday, and went on to touch the former Yankee star for six runs, good enough for a 6-4 victory over the Bushwicks in the opening game of yesterday's twinbill at Dexter Park. The Bushwicks came back to take the second game 7-0. It was the largest crowd of the year at Woodhaven, with 8000 turning out to watch the doubleheader.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(5).jpg

(You can take the woman out of Brooklyn, but...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(6).jpg

("Whatcha laughin' at, Sal?" "Oh, nut'n.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(7).jpg

("Chief?" Dan's a Secret Operative again? Is all forgiven? Did Kay pull some strings? Will Irwin and Wolf ride to the rescue? I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(8).jpg

(Come live with me, Kitty. This bunch doesn't deserve you.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(9).jpg

(Actually, he's a film pirate, and he has ten reels of Errol Flynn negatives he wants to hide in your coal bin.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_.jpg

"Poking the Butch."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(5).jpg

"Arsenate of Lead?" Oh yes, I keep that right in the spice cabinet next to the cloves.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(1).jpg

"Very well, sir -- turn your head and cough."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(2).jpg

LOOKS TO ME LIKE A JOB FOR THE JUNIOR COMMANDOS

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(3).jpg

"Very fine! If the chef job doesn't work out, I'm up for a part in 'The Naked Genius.'"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(4).jpg

Production vs. Distribution.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(6).jpg

**snif**

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(7).jpg

The one phrase no one ever wants to hear, ever: Andy Gump says "I'll take over!"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(8).jpg

Someday, kid, they're gonna nail that drawer shut with you in it.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(9).jpg

Fall in, sweetie, they could always use a camp mascot.

The Mayor also proclaimed the continuation of his campaign against "tinhorn gamblers," announcing that he has directed the Police Department, when it picks up "common professional gamblers" to determine if such persons have "bonafide and lawful employment," and if they do not, to take them immediately to the nearest United States Employment Office and cause them to take a job, or face imprisonment on vagrancy charges.

Better than just arresting them, but LaGuardia is a dog with a bone on this topic. Also, if they do have lawful employment, do they just let them go?

The Eagle Editorialist denies the rumors that Nature herself has a grudge against Williamsburg, as some have suggested given the present problems with smoke and caterpillars. "It is our hunch," the EE postulates, "that the caterpillars are so numerous in Williamsburg because the smoke is so thick they cannot find their way out."

If the EE is looking to make some extra money, I hear Grossingers is looking to take on a few more comedians owing to about a hundred more guests staying longer than expected.

A 49-year-old Flatbush woman received some friendly advice from Magistrate Francis X. Giaccone when she appeared before him on bookmaking charges. Mrs. Levina M. Kearley of 1049 Sterling Place pleaded innocent to the charge, but in continuing her bail at $500 pending an appearance in Flatbush Court on Friday, Magistrate Giaccone admonished her to find another line of work. "With women as WAVES, WACs, and welders, the trend of the times brings them in as bookmakers too," he observed. "For your own sake I advise you to get out of the business before you get trampled upon." Mrs. Kearley protested that she is not a bookmaker at all, but rather, that she is a corsetiere.

Ma Sweeney reads the article and, then, pensively turns the page.

("See?" says Alice. "Like I tol' ya yest'day, it's awla matteh a' whatchacawl geometry. See, Howie bein' tawl like he is, he's got a reach! Camilli, he was a lit'l guy, he couln' do like inna pitcheh heeh. But Howie, jeez, lookit how fawr he c'n reach." "Ahhhhh," sneers Sally. "T'at's jus' moeh'a t'at Rickey propagandeh. Parrott wants t'get a jawb with t' ol' fathead, an' ev'rybody knows it. He's sneakin' t'is stuff inna papeh t'get in good, t'at's awl." "Howie hit'n a home run, t'ough," points out Alice. "T'at wan' no Rickey propagandeh." "Hmph," hmphs Sally. "Rickey prob'ly had'm sneak in some'a t'em ol' pre-wawr balls, give'm a good one t'hit, t'at's awlat is." "Petey made a erreh," notes Alice. "Too bad." "Rickey done'at too," growls Sally. "He had'm put pebb'ls inneh infield, t'make 'im look bad. T' FATHEAD!")

These two are lucky they found each other.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(8).jpg

(Come live with me, Kitty. This bunch doesn't deserve you.)

This family does not deserve to have any pets, period.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(2).jpg

LOOKS TO ME LIKE A JOB FOR THE JUNIOR COMMANDOS

"Scrap iron, pshaw, call me if there's a German sub to sink."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

"Not much chance of that with you safely tucked away in the middle of the country."
"I did it for the Kid."
"Is that an enemy bomber I hear?"
[Psssssssssssssssss]
"Nope, my mistake, just a car going by. Hey, you might want to clean that up, Sandy, you don't want to embarrass yourself in front of your new family."
"You're a jerk face."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_23__1943_(4).jpg

Production vs. Distribution.

The drummer can't compete with the lead singer for girls. It pays to be out front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland