Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I'll second Fast's compliment Ms Elizabeth. And I missed Terrence. Yet I feel compelled to also remark the cartoonist
for Scarlet O'Neil, whose artistry capture of pneumatic voluptuousness undoubtedly helped stateside homefront
adolescent angst.

It's a wierd situation -- the uploads of the clippings go slow, then fast, then slow, and then the insertion of those clippings into the post go even slower. I have no idea of the back-end issues involved, but I notice that the obnoxious auto-play video ads have no trouble loading.

Having a very lame reacting Lounge, since some days, too.
BUT, my Xubuntu 16.04 LTS has it´s final Firefox since a while.

When I switch to my Windows 7, which still gets Firefox updates (!), Lounge is super fast, as it always was on Win 7.

Shit, i´m old... :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_.jpg

("T'at was some pitcheh," sighs Joe, gazing thru the window of the Mayflower Donut Shop as an endless line of sinkers bobs and sizzles in the trough of hot grease. "Yeh," nods Sally. "I neveh liked 'at Bette Davis awlat much wit' t'em t'yroid eyes an' awl, but honestagawd, Joe, what she wen' t'ru innat pitcheh." "Yeh," agrees Joe, his eyes riveted on the stream of doughnuts drifting past. "T'at guy Paul Lukas, doin' what he done, an' awlat. He done what he hadda. Like a -- lotta guys now, I guess. Doin' what t'ey gotta." "Yeh," nods Sally, her voice taking on a somber tone as she glances at Joe, his gaze still fixed inscrutably on the frying cakes. "I guess we shoulda seen 'Stage Door Canteen,' huh?" she sighs. "Betteh pitcheh f'ra annehvoisehry, huh?" "Nah," shrugs Joe. "T'woil' is what t'woil' is, y'know? An' we'eh jus' innit." "Le's g'home," nods Sally, with a gesture toward the subway entrance across the street. "Yeh," nods Joe. "Le's g'home.")

Soviet troops striking out from newly-liberated Sevsk gained almost five miles today, a special Russian communique announced, with the advance bringing the Red Army almost to within artillery range of the important Kiev-Bryansk railroad. The Soviet bulletin broadcast by the Moscow radio stated that south of Bryansk, which is the Sevsk front, the Russians continued driving ahead, advancing from 3 to 4.9 miles along some sections, and occuping more than 50 localities. On the basis of that advance, it appeared that the Red Army had reached to within 15 miles of the big railroad running down from Bryansk thru Konotop, and then southeastward to Kiev. About 100 miles to the south, the bulletin stated, the Soviets had overcome German resistance and stiff counterattacks to the west and south of Kharkov and forged ahead, recapturing several inhabited points.

Allied warplanes have disrupted all main rail lines connecting northern and southern Italy, it was disclosed today after American and British airmen, smashing communication facilities for the third straight day, struck heavily at nine vital centers. American Flying Fortresses, medium bombers, and fighter planes pummeled rail centers in widespread raids yesterday, and last night, RAF Wellingtons bombed Salerno, transportation hub southeast of Naples, with blockbusters.

President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill will meet next week in Washington, and it is believed that their discussions will focus on Russia and the prospect of arranging a joint conference with high Soviet representatives. The Russian angle of Mr. Churchill's Washington visit was supported by the generally-accepted belief that British-American military plans for ensuing phases of the war were well set at Quebec, allowing the renewed Roosevelt-Churchill talks to center on political matters that have received less attention.

Three women dressed as men were foiled in an attempted Manhattan holdup early yesterday when a 40-year-old housewife saw thru their disguise and gave chase until police arrived. The three disguised women attacked Mrs. Nannie Lewis of 125 Edgecomb Avenue as she was walking along Bradhurst Street near W. 143rd Street shortly after midnight, and as two of the thugs restrained Mrs. Lewis, a third reached for her purse. It was then that Mrs. Lewis realized that her assailants were women, and broke free, purusing the trio up Bradhurst toward 145th Street, where police intercepted two of the would-be robbers. As the two were being booked at the W. 135th Street station, a young woman wearing a dress arrived and demanded to see the two prisoners. Concluding that she was the third assailant, having made a quick change of clothing, police arrested her as well. The three were identified as 27-year-old Dolores Robinson of 128 W. 117th Street, 23-year-old Lillian Askew of 301 W. 137th Street, and 20 year old Sarah Ford of 2546 8th Avenue. All pleaded innocent to charges of assault and robbery.

Brooklyn motorists are likely to face a Labor Day gasoline drought, with even those holding OPA vacation permits expected to face disappointment. The current gasoline shortage is expected to last at least another week -- and there is no promise of relief even at the end of that time. Between 75 and 80 percent of Brooklyn filling stations report having no gas to sell, and the remaining stations usually have no more than a few hundred gallons a day available. Despite assurances that war workers will have the fuel they need, many stations near war plants in the borough have run dry, forcing workers to get along the best they can with buses, trolleys, and the subway. Those few stations lucky enough to secure a supply of gasoline to sell are besieged almost instantly with long lines of cars whose alert drivers had spotted and followed the delivery truck to its destination. A not-uncommon sight around Brooklyn yesterday was that of a string of cars following a gasoline truck on the hope that it was about to make a delivery.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(1).jpg

(Maybe he could try collecting stamps.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(2).jpg

(There's a New World Coming.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(3).jpg

(Less than 2000 people for a Saturday game in a park that seats 33,000. Fitz must be feeling awfully lonely right now.)

Including scorecard-waving Connie Mack holding forth from the dugout, there were seven living, breathing members of the Baseball Hall of Fame cavorting at the Polo Grounds before the war bond game there the other day. Tommy Holmes notes that membership in that institution is very exclusive, so much so that the old Fordham Flash, Frankie Frisch, who posed as a third baseman during the pregame festivities. He ought to be, asserts Tommy, as should such other recent stars as Pie Traynor, Lefty Grove, Mickey Cochrane, and even Bill Terry. And what Brooklyn fan would not rejoice if Zack Wheat and Uncle Wilbert Robinson were one day to take their place in the Cooperstown Hall?

Old timer Paddy McGoff remembers the days when steam trains carried crowds of summer revelers to Coney Island along the old Sea Beach line, and the Long Island Rail Road picked up its share of summer visitors from the New Jersey ferries. And Old Timer W. J. Monsees writes in to contradict John P. Pfalzgraff's claim that the biggest sewer in the Old Tenth Ward was on Warren Street. He points to the 50 foot sewer that ran down Hanson Place, along 4th Avenue, toward Butler Street.

General Hugh S. Drum, recently promoted from head of the Eastern Defense Command to the Inter-American Defense Council, makes the front page of the TREND section this week. Gen. Drum is praised for a life of "cultivating an efficient, useful, and able obscurity."

"Star and Garter," minus star Bobby Clark and garter Gypsy Rose Lee, gives its 500th performance at the Music Box Theatre this Wednesday, as the longest-running musical ever to play that stage, and second only to "The Man Who Came To Dinner" as the Music Box's all-time longest-running attraction. Despite the exit of Mr. Clark and Miss Lee, the Michael Todd production carries on with the able Professor Lamberti, supported by a "cast of 100."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(4).jpg

("Hmph," snorts Dick Tracy. "YOU CALL THAT A DEATH TRAP?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(5).jpg

(Are we counting *ALL* children? How about it, Jefferson, Cleveland, and Harding?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(6).jpg

(Maybe try a looser-fitting nightgown, huh? And I wonder if Mr. Sample was able to get a quantity discount from his dentist?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(7).jpg

(You really ought to go home, Mary, before they all starve to death. And Burma says I'LL MAKE MY OWN OPPORTUNITIES THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_.jpg

"Leonoreh?" exclaims Joe. "I t'ought we made t'at name up." "Nah," dismisses Sally. "T'ez utteh Leonorehs. But we got t' REAL one, right?" "REAL 'UN" declares the Real Leonora. "SPPPPPPT!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(2).jpg

"Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before..."

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(1).jpg

There's a war on and a gal's gotta make do.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(3).jpg

Honestly, though, a French chef who only makes onion soup would raise very few suspicions.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(4).jpg

"And speaking of wasted," grumbles Mr. King, "all the work I put into designing an attractive strip and they cut the size in half so they can run THIS STUPID UGLY AD."

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(5).jpg

"You think you got it bad," growls Harold Gray. "*I* have to share a page with Edson!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(6).jpg

"Least they coulda done," frowns Mr. Willard, "is give me a cigar ad. Who smokes a pipe???"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(7).jpg

"Hah," scoffs Mr. Mosely, "You guys think YOU got it bad?"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(8).jpg

"Heh," snickers Carl Ed. "You guys'll get used to it!"

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(9).jpg

"Ahhh," dismisses Mr. Caniff. "Don't you know there's a war on? Now let's see,. what menacing French-speaking character can I bring back this week...."

("T'at was some pitcheh," sighs Joe, gazing thru the window of the Mayflower Donut Shop as an endless line of sinkers bobs and sizzles in the trough of hot grease. "Yeh," nods Sally. "I neveh liked 'at Bette Davis awlat much wit' t'em t'yroid eyes an' awl, but honestagawd, Joe, what she wen' t'ru innat pitcheh." "Yeh," agrees Joe, his eyes riveted on the stream of doughnuts drifting past. "T'at guy Paul Lukas, doin' what he done, an' awlat. He done what he hadda. Like a -- lotta guys now, I guess. Doin' what t'ey gotta." "Yeh," nods Sally, her voice taking on a somber tone as she glances at Joe, his gaze still fixed inscrutably on the frying cakes. "I guess we shoulda seen 'Stage Door Canteen,' huh?" she sighs. "Betteh pitcheh f'ra annehvoisehry, huh?" "Nah," shrugs Joe. "T'woil' is what t'woil' is, y'know? An' we'eh jus' innit." "Le's g'home," nods Sally, with a gesture toward the subway entrance across the street. "Yeh," nods Joe. "Le's g'home.")

I'm glad they saw it (thank you, Lizzie). I thought it would make an impression on them: "T'woil' is what t'woil' is, y'know? An' we'eh jus' innit."

"...wit' t'em t'yroid eyes ..."
(Pro tip, lost amidst the "Bette Davis eyes" refrain is this gem of a line tucked inside, "She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs.")

Three women dressed as men were foiled in an attempted Manhattan holdup early yesterday when a 40-year-old housewife saw thru their disguise and gave chase until police arrived. The three disguised women attacked Mrs. Nannie Lewis of 125 Edgecomb Avenue as she was walking along Bradhurst Street near W. 143rd Street shortly after midnight, and as two of the thugs restrained Mrs. Lewis, a third reached for her purse. It was then that Mrs. Lewis realized that her assailants were women, and broke free, purusing the trio up Bradhurst toward 145th Street, where police intercepted two of the would-be robbers. As the two were being booked at the W. 135th Street station, a young woman wearing a dress arrived and demanded to see the two prisoners. Concluding that she was the third assailant, having made a quick change of clothing, police arrested her as well. The three were identified as 27-year-old Dolores Robinson of 128 W. 117th Street, 23-year-old Lillian Askew of 301 W. 137th Street, and 20 year old Sarah Ford of 2546 8th Avenue. All pleaded innocent to charges of assault and robbery.

"...a young woman wearing a dress arrived and demanded to see the two prisoners. Concluding that she was the third assailant, having made a quick change of clothing, police arrested her as well. "

I hope the police added "gross stupidity" to the list of the charges against this third one.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(1).jpg

(Maybe he could try collecting stamps.)

This is a solution in search of a problem.

At minimum, Manville is a buffoon, but I'm thinking he might even be mentally unbalanced, and I'm not aligned with the "every personal control issue is a mental illness" crowd.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(3).jpg

(Less than 2000 people for a Saturday game in a park that seats 33,000. Fitz must be feeling awfully lonely right now.)

It's no great surprise, but it's still interesting to see that as the Dodgers have faded, other sports - horse racing and boxing, mainly, with tennis now and then - have gotten more coverage - articles and pictures - on this page.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(1).jpg

There's a war on and a gal's gotta make do.

You don't have to go nuts and make your house a fake showcase just because company is coming over, but taking down the handing underwear in the bathroom isn't asking too much.

Daily_News_Sun__Aug_29__1943_(9).jpg

"Ahhh," dismisses Mr. Caniff. "Don't you know there's a war on? Now let's see,. what menacing French-speaking character can I bring back this week...."

I love that they haven't cut back "Terry..." like they have the other strips. That said, the cutback is painful. It will be nice to see the full-sized strips return after the war.

BTW, Taffy has never looked cuter than when wearing her side cap.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Terrence was mentioned by Ryan so Pat the rat scampers away free and clear of Cupid while set scenery shifts
mainland China where Terrence, strip namesake golden lad he must battles the enemy above rain drenched cloudy
overcast China sky.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Insomniac me recalls Bard quip, ''Golden lads and girls all must return to dust.''
What an extraordinary lad Terrence, the whole lot, Patrick the wolf, Taffy, Flip. Mr Caniff knows his trade sure enough.
The Second World War generation truly etched its presence across History's stone tablet.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_.jpg

("'A bus'ness man'a good repute,' snorts Joe. "Y'know what Sal would say about t'at? She'd 'say s'what else is new?'" "Well now," interjects Ma Sweeney, "ye can't judge a book boi its covarr, now can ye?" "Well," shrugs Joe, "t'utteh day I was lookin' at ya funny books oveh onna rack t'eh, an' I picked one up, an' onna coveh it said 'Supehman,' but when I opened it up, onna inside it was Batman. So yeh, maybe ya right -- but, see, even innat case t'eh, right, it's jus' a diffn't guy weahrin' lawng undehweah. It ain' like it says 'Supehman' onna outside, an' inside it's "Pitcheh Stories a' t' Bible," right?" "Welllll," hedges Ma. "Hmph," hmphs Joe. "Imagine a big celle-bruty like Lou Costella havin' a brut'eh like t'at. He mus' be awful embarassed. "Indeed," sighs Ma.")

American Flying Fortresses wrecked the Orte railroad junction 40 miles north of Rome yesterday, in the third straight day of attacks designed to smash the capital's communications with the rest of Italy in advance of a possible Allied invasion, it was revealed today. In a broadcast beamed into Italy, Radio Algiers said that Allied amphibious forces may strike Italy in the north as well as the south, and warned that air and naval units are ready for a new offensive "which may start where and when they wish." Hundreds of explosive and fire bombs dropped by the big four engined bombers ripped up tracks, blew up freight cars, and set fire to other installations at Orte, junction of the Rome-Florence line, and a spur line to Ternt in the interior.

President Roosevelt returned to the capital today to immediately begin a series of conferences with his military and diplomatic advisors, and with Chinese foreign minister T. V. Soong. Mr. Roosevelt left Ottawa last Wednesday but White House Press Secretary Stephen T. Early explained today that before returning to Washington he stopped off at an undisclosed location for a much-needed rest. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill will rejoin the President in Washington later this week, and remains at present in the vicinity of Quebec, where he is preparing another speech to the Axis warning it to surrender now before suffering the consequences of plans laid during his Quebec conference with the President. The President made his own "surrender now" speech last week, and Mr. Churchill is expected to reiterate that demand in a worldwide broadcast tomorrow at 1 PM.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(1).jpg

(Syd Hoff here shows us the origin story of a typical Lichty character.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(2).jpg

(Coming events...)

Workers at the Brooklyn plants of the Sperry Gyroscope Company received official word today from the War Department that the sensational record achieved by the famous bomber "Memphis Belle" over Nazi Europe was achieved in part due to the "little black boxes" built in those plants by Brooklyn hands. The Sperry-manufactured automatic gun sights used in upper and lower ball turrets played an important role in the success of the plane in its 25 raids over occupied France and Nazi Germany before it safely crossed the Atlantic to triumphantly tour the United States.

In Los Angeles, slot machines confiscated in police raids will be put to use as war materiel. Authorities on the Coast say that the gambling devices are being converted into "booby traps" which will be set out where they have a chance to trap one more booby for Uncle Sam.

Approximately one third of the 446,000 fathers expected to be taken in the draft by year's end to meet manpower quotas will be assigned to the Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard. While the Army's manpower needs are said to be "slackening," needs for the naval servicesare said to be expanding rapidly due to the present growth of the seven-ocean fleet.

After five years, Broadway is without an Olsen and Johnson show, as "Sons o' Fun" gave its final performance at the 46th Street Theatre and packed up for a nationwide tour. Between "Sons" and its illustrious predecessor "Hellzapoppin'," Ole and Chic have dominated the Broadway comedy scene since September 1938, and it must be assured, they will be back. And they leave behind them their indelible influence, with "Hellzapoppin'"-like touches having crept into many a show.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(4).jpg

(A dollar a year doesn't buy what it used to.)

Five Chinese brought before Magistrate Thomas H. Cullen Jr. in Brooklyn Weekend Court on disorderly conduct charges were freed when the Magistrate concluded that their game of dominoes couldn't have made enough noise to cause a disruption. The five were arrested after a patrolman heard the sounds of their game emanating from a basement at 215 Schermerhorn Street, but by the time the patrolman and his partner gained entrance to the basement, all but five of the players had retreated.

A model airplane that flew all the way from Hampton, Virginia to Roslyn Harbor, Long Island will be returned to its owner. The coral-colored plastic plane, with a seven-foot wingspread and sponge-rubber wheels, came down yesterday afternoon, bearing a message written under its wing identifying it as the property of H. P. Weber, 409 Lee Street, Hampton, Va. Authorities say the plane likely caught a wind current that carried it the 365 miles from its take off point to its landing place.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(5).jpg

("Cricket!""chuckles Sally. "Onna fronna t'spoehts section. I ASK YA!" "I seen some guys playin'at once," nods Alice. "Downa P'rade Groun's. T'ey had t'is big paddle, an' stead of a catcheh t;ey had t'ese sticks lined up. Anna pitcheh tries t' knock oveh t'sticks, I guess, anna batteh tries t' hit t'bawl back. An'nif he does, he runs acrosta wheah t'es t'ese utteh sticks, an'ney try t'hit'im wit't bawl a' sump'n. An'ney do t'is AWL DAY, an'nen t'ey stop an' have a cuppa tea an' eat a sanwich, an'nen t'ey do it s'moeh." "Ya makin'at up," laughs Sally. "I sweahtagawd," proclaims Alice, crossing her heart. "I seen it wit' me own eyes. An'nez t'is guy, like an umpieh, an' if t'batteh gives 'im any lip, t'ey make 'im go siddown." "I woneh," ponders Sally, "if Frankie Ge'mano eveh makes it oveh t't' P'rade Groun's?")

Lefty Gomez finally found his old stuff yesterday, two-hitting the Atlanta Black Crackers to give the Bushwicks a 6-0 shutout victory in the first game of a Sunday twinbill at Dexter Park. Both hits were humpback liners by Cracker second baseman Chunky Jackson, one in the second and one in the fourth. In addition to his fine pitching performance, Senor Goofy was in outstanding form at the bat, going two for three with a run batted in. The Bushwicks took the nightcap 5-2 on the strength of a fine mound performance by Gene Phillips. 10,000 fans turned out for the twinbill.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(6).jpg

("Poor Aunt Sarah. Never could stand the meddling old bag. Um, no offense.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(7).jpg

(Lois DeFee has plenty of experience dealing with the boys in the baldheaded row.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(8).jpg

(Panel Two: Burma wonders if she's too old to join the WACs.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(9).jpg
(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG ALWAYS HAS A HAPPY ENDING! WHEN DO WE EAT?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(10).jpg

(One of my great-grandfathers actually had a real peg leg. His cats used it as a scratching post. The Bungles ought to get some cats.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_.jpg

"T'Hawrves' Moon Bawl," sighs Sally. "I wisht me'n Joe c'd do t'at one moeh t'ime befoeh he gets drafted. But me woikin' days an' him woikin' nights...I wisht we c'd, but we can't." "I bet," proposes Alice, "me 'n Siddy c'd do it." "Krause??" spurts Sally. "DANCIN"? Wit' YOU?" "Whas'wrong wit'tat?" challenges Alice. "He's a pretty good danceh. Y'sh'd see'im go when'ney play 'Trumpet Biues' onna jukebox. Cou'se, he don' do none'a t'at fancy stuff like you'n Joe, but..." "I could give ya lessons," suggests Sally. "G'wan,"replies Alice. "Y'd do t'at?" "Hey, if me'n Joe can't do it, nut'n says I can't be, whatchacawl, a coach." "Like Chuck Dressen, ya mean?" enthuses Alice. "Yeh," nods Sally. "We'll woik up some signals, right? An' I'll stan' off't't'side an' flash 'em to yez, an' y'll know what t'do nex'. It's inna bag!" "Hey, you got a Stamp 18 I c'n have?" interjects Alice. "I gotta get a new paieh a' shoes." "Wha's wrong wit' t' ones ya got?" "I do'wanna weah t'em open-toe ones wit' Siddy," shrugs Alice. "I didn' know you had no open-toe shoes," squints Sally. "Well, t'ey wasn'," admits Alice. "Till I stawrted dancin' wit' Siddy..."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(1).jpg

I'm honestly surprised not one person mentions seeing a cop wrestling a runaway milk wagon horse. I mean, it happens all the time...

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(2).jpg

Hmmm. Slight physique? Check. Feminine hairline? Check. Suspicious eyewear? Check. Thick French accent? Check. Flirtatious personality? Check. Unless I miss my guess, Taffy, say hello to Sanjak -- notorious cross-dressing, sexually-ambiguous confidence woman who once kidnapped April Kane and tried to hypnotize into doing her bidding. She was last seen eluding Terry and Pat in 1939, so it's interesting to see her pop up now, and for what purpose?

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(3).jpg

"B'sides, you know what happens to kids who question the chain of command..."

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(4).jpg

Look, stupid, you could just gone out and bought another whip. I bet you could find a good one down at Davega's.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(5).jpg

Yep, when you go in an old house and see a big painting on the wall with staring eyes, IT'S ALL OVER.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(6).jpg

"I HEAR YOU IN THERE! IT'S 'CHEF!' NOT COOK! CHEF!"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(7).jpg

"How to Be Resistable!"

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(8).jpg

In any successful small business, location is everything.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(9).jpg

Shoulda done that three months ago.

Workers at the Brooklyn plants of the Sperry Gyroscope Company received official word today from the War Department that the sensational record achieved by the famous bomber "Memphis Belle" over Nazi Europe was achieved in part due to the "little black boxes" built in those plants by Brooklyn hands. The Sperry-manufactured automatic gun sights used in upper and lower ball turrets played an important role in the success of the plane in its 25 raids over occupied France and Nazi Germany before it safely crossed the Atlantic to triumphantly tour the United States.

Take a bow, Joe.

("Cricket!""chuckles Sally. "Onna fronna t'spoehts section. I ASK YA!" "I seen some guys playin'at once," nods Alice. "Downa P'rade Groun's. T'ey had t'is big paddle, an' stead of a catcheh t;ey had t'ese sticks lined up. Anna pitcheh tries t' knock oveh t'sticks, I guess, anna batteh tries t' hit t'bawl back. An'nif he does, he runs acrosta wheah t'es t'ese utteh sticks, an'ney try t'hit'im wit't bawl a' sump'n. An'ney do t'is AWL DAY, an'nen t'ey stop an' have a cuppa tea an' eat a sanwich, an'nen t'ey do it s'moeh." "Ya makin'at up," laughs Sally. "I sweahtagawd," proclaims Alice, crossing her heart. "I seen it wit' me own eyes. An'nez t'is guy, like an umpieh, an' if t'batteh gives 'im any lip, t'ey make 'im go siddown." "I woneh," ponders Sally, "if Frankie Ge'mano eveh makes it oveh t't' P'rade Groun's?")

This is not a knock on cricket, as had I grown up in a country where it was popular, I'm very confident that I would be a fan, but that is not an intuitive game you can pick up by just watching it a bit.

Years ago, I ran a trading department that had traders in the UK. We brought some of the UK traders into NYC as part of new trading platform project we were rolling out. We took them to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium (the big new one had just opened, so it was splashy new looking) and, the next night, we went to a UK themed bar to watch cricket.

No surprise, we were both pretty much lost trying to follow the other's sport on the fly.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(10).jpg

(One of my great-grandfathers actually had a real peg leg. His cats used it as a scratching post. The Bungles ought to get some cats.)

The Bungles ought to not get some cats. Like Bo's family, the Bungles do not have the skills necessary to take care of pets. Only families that are not insane should consider having pets.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_.jpg

"T'Hawrves' Moon Bawl," sighs Sally. "I wisht me'n Joe c'd do t'at one moeh t'ime befoeh he gets drafted. But me woikin' days an' him woikin' nights...I wisht we c'd, but we can't." "I bet," proposes Alice, "me 'n Siddy c'd do it." "Krause??" spurts Sally. "DANCIN"? Wit' YOU?" "Whas'wrong wit'tat?" challenges Alice. "He's a pretty good danceh. Y'sh'd see'im go when'ney play 'Trumpet Biues' onna jukebox. Cou'se, he don' do none'a t'at fancy stuff like you'n Joe, but..." "I could give ya lessons," suggests Sally. "G'wan,"replies Alice. "Y'd do t'at?" "Hey, if me'n Joe can't do it, nut'n says I can't be, whatchacawl, a coach." "Like Chuck Dressen, ya mean?" enthuses Alice. "Yeh," nods Sally. "We'll woik up some signals, right? An' I'll stan' off't't'side an' flash 'em to yez, an' y'll know what t'do nex'. It's inna bag!" "Hey, you got a Stamp 18 I c'n have?" interjects Alice. "I gotta get a new paieh a' shoes." "Wha's wrong wit' t' ones ya got?" "I do'wanna weah t'em open-toe ones wit' Siddy," shrugs Alice. "I didn' know you had no open-toe shoes," squints Sally. "Well, t'ey wasn'," admits Alice. "Till I stawrted dancin' wit' Siddy..."

I'd bet more details will spill out of this WAC/socialite murder in the next few days. Madeline Webb didn't happen to escape recently, did she? Just askin'.

Daily_News_Mon__Aug_30__1943_(2).jpg

Hmmm. Slight physique? Check. Feminine hairline? Check. Suspicious eyewear? Check. Thick French accent? Check. Flirtatious personality? Check. Unless I miss my guess, Taffy, say hello to Sanjak -- notorious cross-dressing, sexually-ambiguous confidence woman who once kidnapped April Kane and tried to hypnotize into doing her bidding. She was last seen eluding Terry and Pat in 1939, so it's interesting to see her pop up now, and for what purpose?

Well now, that will be something new and very modern, except today she would have to be a hero not a villain.

Kudos again to Caniff, his illustration work, like today, has just been fantastic.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Take a bow, Joe.

This is not a knock on cricket, as had I grown up in a country where it was popular, I'm very confident that I would be a fan, but that is not an intuitive game you can pick up by just watching it a bit.

Years ago, I ran a trading department that had traders in the UK. We brought some of the UK traders into NYC as part of new trading platform project we were rolling out. We took them to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium (the big new one had just opened, so it was splashy new looking) and, the next night, we went to a UK themed bar to watch cricket.

No surprise, we were both pretty much lost trying to follow the other's sport on the fly.

The Bungles ought to not get some cats. Like Bo's family, the Bungles do not have the skills necessary to take care of pets. Only families that are not insane should consider having pets.

I'd bet more details will spill out of this WAC/socialite murder in the next few days. Madeline Webb didn't happen to escape recently, did she? Just askin'.

Well now, that will be something new and very modern, except today she would have to be a hero not a villain.

Kudos again to Caniff, his illustration work, like today, has just been fantastic.
Cricket never my cuppa. But American football and rugby have lots in common.

I passed the socialite ''WAC'' death but will return to it later. There is more than meets eye here.

Terrence is confusing no end. I'll catch on but this Sanjay is particularly odious, though why does Mr Caniff
seemingly shy away from death when the circas are chock full of grim reaper handwork adds volumes of confusion.
''Legs'' Larkin is admirable artistic capture.

The circas are remarkable journalist practice. Truly splendid reporting, writ, follow thru.

Cricket never my cuppa. But American football and rugby have lots in common.

I passed the socialite ''WAC'' death but will return to it later. There is more than meets eye here.

Terrence is confusing no end. I'll catch on but this Sanjay is particularly odious, though why does Mr Caniff
seemingly shy away from death when the circas are chock full of grim reaper handwork adds volumes of confusion.
''Legs'' Larkin is admirable artistic capture.

The circas are remarkable journalist practice. Truly splendid reporting, writ, follow thru.

"Circas?" What does the word mean? Are you referring to the comicstrips or the news?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_.jpg

("Leo gettn'a d'voehce," clucks Joe. "Mmmmm-mm. What a s'prise." "Oi'd imagine," shrugs Ma, "thaat his woife mooosta been a laaang-sooferin' soul, she moost. Aaal thoose loow chaaracters he paaals aroond with moosta been an aaaarful trial. Gaangsters. Showgaaarls. Raaadio comedians!" "Unbecomin' conduct," Joe continues. "I bet." "Sooo does he," adds Ma. "What?" "Ohhh, waard gets arooound...")

Russian forces waged a battle of annihilation today against the remnants of the German garrison of Taganrog, the first Axis army encircled since Stalingrad, and pounded deeper into the mineral-and-grain-rich Ukraine along a front stretching 400 miles to the north. German troops escaping the Russian trap at Taganrog were falling back rapidly toward the Kalmius River, 60 miles to the west, and there was a possibility that the overwhelming weight of the Soviet offensive may drive them all the way back to the Melitopol, 150 miles farther west. More than 150 towns and villages were engulfed by Soviet cavalry and mechanized units that slashed into the enemy's rear from Amvrosievska, 50 miles northwest of Taganrog, then raced southward to capture Veselo Vosznesenskaya on the Sea of Asov. Thousands of German troops were trapped by the Soviet advance, facing a choice between surrender or death.

Former Kansas governor Alfred M. Landon today asserted that the New Deal is "planning to put cereal on your dinner table," while other foods are sent abroad. The 1936 Republican Presidential nominee, in a speech prepared for delivery to the Co-Operative Club of Kansas City, quoted as authority for that statement recent remarks by former New York Governoer Herbert H. Lehman, now head of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration and Dr. F. W. Miller of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. "In preparation for that shock," asserted Mr. Landon, "we are being told by the planners in Washington that it would be healthier for us to adopt a vegetarian diet! The New Dealers changed Thanksgiving, killed little pigs, and now wants to put us on the fish and rice diet of the Orientals!" Landon went on to demand "an accounting of the vast quantities of food being given away under lease-lend."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(1).jpg

(Just a couple of homebodies.)

Two Queens men will be arraigned today in Ridgewood Felony Court for the theft of more than $3500 worth of women's stockings from the Mock, Judson, and Voehringer Company, hosiery manufacturers, of Long Island City. John C. Fitzpatrick, aged 48, of Jackson Heights, and 34-year-old John Mulcahy of Astoria, both workers in the buiilding where the firm is located, were said by Assistant District Attorney Charles P. Sullivan to have signed statements confessing their part in the thefts, and that others were also implicated and will be arrested.

Moving companies in Brooklyn are being forced to turn away customers as the demand for moving vans and storage space has most of the borough's van and storage firms "standing on their heads" in an effort to meet the ever-increasing demand. Rent troubles which are causing tenants to leave their present residences are blamed for some of the problem, but an even larger factor is the constant drain of civilian manpower into the armed forces, leaving moving companies with an extreme lack of experienced handlers, at the same time that there is an increasing demand for storage space for property owned by men going into the service. There is also a large amount of long-distance moving going on, involving both people leaving the city and people moving into it. Not all of this is war related -- with movers noting an increasing number of retirees leaving the city to move to the South, especially to Florida. It is expected that the usual moving rush that occurs at the end of every September, as leases expire, will be even more frantic this year than usual.

The revelation that WAC Corporal Maoma L. Ridings, murdered in Indiana, was once one of President Roosevelt's favorite nurses today spurred further investigation into the circumstances leading up to her brutal slaying near Indianapolis. The victim's grandmother, Mrs. Annie Bulloch, disclosed today that Cpl. Ridings, a native of Warm Springs, Ga., served as a physiotherapist at the Foundation for Infantile Paralysis in that city from 1927 to 1931, and provided services to Mr. Roosevelt, then Governor of New York, when he received treatments there during that time. "He used to call her one of his best nurses," recalled Mrs. Bulloch, "and called her 'Husky' because she was so strong." Authorities in Marion County, Indiana stated today that it appears Cpl. Ridings' killer slashed her wrists and throat after she died in order to give the appearance of suicide, but stressed that Cpl. Riddings died as a result of a blow to the head from a heavy instrument -- not slashing from a broken whiskey bottle found at the scene of the crime, as was first believed.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(2).jpg

("I'm excited to do the picture," says Miss Stanwyck. "But I won't wear that ridiculous wig. And you can't make me!")

The assistant director of the Children's Welfare Association is urging women war workers to give up their jobs after the war for the good of the nation. Mrs. Daisy Simons Wadsworth stated today that "women should be willing to do their duty in peacetime as well as wartime by relinquishing industrial jobs to the men after the war is over, and return to the establishing of the home as the basis of the nation's background." Mrs. Wadsworth is a former teacher and school principal, and has worked as director of the Parents Consultation Bureau of the National Child Welfare Association, and as supervisor of the character education program of Essex County, New Jersey, and advocates a greater role for the schools in training young people, both boys and girls, for the responsibilities of parenthood and family life.

Reader W. F. Rockville writes in to advocate that Grant's Tomb be moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn. "In Manhattan, it is ignored except as a convenient geographical point of reference," remarks the reader. "It belongs in Brooklyn as a background for our fine statue of General Grant."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(3).jpg

("Well, if they've got a No. 18 stamp, I'm willin'.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(4).jpg

("I'll do all right," said the stout old party. *sigh*)

Broadcaster Mel Allen, who last year described the Yankee and Giant games over WOR, goes into the Army today. Although there have been no broadcasts for the Yankees this year, the boys threw a going-away dinner for their former announcer last night.

One of radio's most skilfull delineators of Jewish-dialect stories is Peter Donald of WOR's "Can You Top This?," and he writes into the Eagle's radio column to criticize editor William Juengst's misuse in a recent column of the word "schlepper" in reference to a pun. "A schlepper, in Jewish, means an incompetent, a nobody, someone who trails along in the rear of the pack," admonishes Mr. Donald. "A schlepper is very much like a schlemiel." Mr. Donald. we note, is of Scotch-Irish ancestry.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(5).jpg

("I predict... that you will soon be written out of this strip!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(6).jpg

("They used to call me "Chest," but I kicked that out of them.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(7).jpg

("Can't we take a cab?" pleads Burma. "I...don't LIKE trucks...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(8).jpg

(DON'T WORRY AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG WILL SAVE...ooops!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(9).jpg

(It really is a wonder they have any neighbors at all.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_.jpg

"Is it true, Mrs. Durocher, that you will be calling Mr. George Magerkurth as a witness?"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(9).jpg

"Look," exhorts Sally. "If we'eh gonna do t'is, we gotta do it t'marra night! I don' caeh if we'eh up awl night, y'gotta beah down an' loin what I'm showin' ya. Awright, now, when I wipe my han's acrawst me shouldehs like t'is, it means t'at you, Krause, you take Alice like t'is heeh." "Hey," heys Krause. "When I dance, I lead." "Well, I gotta show it on YOU, 'cause I can't reach high 'nough on HEH!" "Y't'ink *I* can??" "HEY!" erupts Alice. "I HOID T'AT!" "Look, Krause," sighs Sally. "You sueh you won' try t' elevateh shoes?" "Well," grumbles Krause, "I s'pose. BUT I AIN'T WEAHRIN' NO WEDGIES!"

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(1).jpg

All right, Sanjak. What's your game? Or are you just lonely?

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(2).jpg

You only get once chance to make that mistake.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(3).jpg

For a guy who doesn't like regimentation, Mr. Gray sure does like to regiment kids.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(4).jpg

"Oh, and he also sent over a bill."

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(5).jpg

He's THIS CLOSE to self-awareness.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(6).jpg

This "Daily Paper" sure does have a big circulation.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(7).jpg

C'mon, Emmy, rent him a room. Imagine having this much fun every day.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(8).jpg
"What?? She left no forwarding address???"

The revelation that WAC Corporal Maoma L. Ridings, murdered in Indiana, was once one of President Roosevelt's favorite nurses today spurred further investigation into the circumstances leading up to her brutal slaying near Indianapolis. The victim's grandmother, Mrs. Annie Bulloch, disclosed today that Cpl. Ridings, a native of Warm Springs, Ga., served as a physiotherapist at the Foundation for Infantile Paralysis in that city from 1927 to 1931, and provided services to Mr. Roosevelt, then Governor of New York, when he received treatments there during that time. "He used to call her one of his best nurses," recalled Mrs. Bulloch, "and called her 'Husky' because she was so strong." Authorities in Marion County, Indiana stated today that it appears Cpl. Ridings' killer slashed her wrists and throat after she died in order to give the appearance of suicide, but stressed that Cpl. Riddings died as a result of a blow to the head from a heavy instrument -- not slashing from a broken whiskey bottle found at the scene of the crime, as was first believed.

You could feel it in yesterday's Daily News account that there was something more to this story. It's not done yet.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(2).jpg

("I'm excited to do the picture," says Miss Stanwyck. "But I won't wear that ridiculous wig. And you can't make me!")

"And don't even get me started on that trashy ankle bracelet." :)

Kidding aside, it is fascinating to see future classics like "Double Indemnity" in their development stage like this before, obviously, anyone knew they'd be classics.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(6).jpg

("They used to call me "Chest," but I kicked that out of them.")

I bet the boys have some other nicknames for her as well.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_.jpg

"Is it true, Mrs. Durocher, that you will be calling Mr. George Magerkurth as a witness?"

Men who make obviously stupid and immature choices in their wives - middle-aged men marry silly cute young things - deserve the problems and costs they incur when the marriage fails. Apparently, as per our cougar teacher today, it works that way when women make the same stupid marital decisions.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(3).jpg

For a guy who doesn't like regimentation, Mr. Gray sure does like to regiment kids.

Trying to reverse engineer a coherent philosophy from Gray's strip is a mug's game. He's all over the map and inconsistent as heck.

Daily_News_Tue__Aug_31__1943_(4).jpg

"Oh, and he also sent over a bill."

I'm usually impressed with Clark's illustrations, but what the heck is going on with the solider at the head of the table, he looks like the Joker from Batman with a black eye.

534631-be7ed5ae97dbb9edb6602c4f7d280446.jpg

"What?? She left no forwarding address???"

This obnoxious kid deserves a comeuppance.

I don't remember a time when Fedora had this long a tech problem. It's gotten better, but, at least for me, the system is still freezing up as it did several times when I was writing these comments.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It was up and down for me today as well -- whatever it is comes and goes in spurts.

That young soldier in "The Neighbors" got that way stealing the chicken for that casserole. It was a close escape.

Mrs. Durocher, who seems like a very smart and level-headed businesswoman, should have known better to take a chance on a free-and-easy poolroom character like Leo. If she married him thinking she was going to change him she made the same mistake many other women have made, and with the same result....

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The school mistress married a kid who seems quite literate in his sarcasm so her obvious puerile nature snubbed,
she seeks ''King's Bench'' resolve with a wigged silk solicitor. A boy young enough to be her son yet and wager her
chagrin at confessing this foolishness to her solicitor.

Corporal Ridings was brutally slain by blunt trauma skull with glass cut wrists made to appear suicide.
Looks a rape murder by a soldier given told tale report.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_.jpg

("If t'ese boys miss Brooklyn, t'eyll miss awl America," reads Joe. "Ain'nat t'trut'!" "I'm not faaand of the English," admits Ma, "becaause when Oi was growin' up in Oirelan', they waas none too faand of oos!" "Aw," aws Joe, "t'at's ol' stuff. One'a t'on'y t'ings I remembeh 'bout me pa izzat he was'n too fond'a Russians. But I bet if he was alive t'day, wit' t' wawr n'awl, he'd feel diff'nt. When I was a kid, I din' like kids f'm Greenpernt, but I got oveh it. I mean, I still might not invite 'em oveh t'eat a' nut'n, but it ain' like I don' like 'em. T'ey can' help bein' f'm Greenpernt. "Ahhhhh, Joseph," sighs Ma. "It's not the saame thing." "People sueh awr funny," muses Joe. "They aare that," sighs Ma. "Oi guess they aalways will be." "I wondeh," sighs Joe, with a slurp of his drink, "if t'ey got egg creams in Englan'?" "Oi don' b'lieve so," replies Ma. "We oughta send'm some," concludes Joe. "Lend Lease. T'ey fed t' King hot dogs when he come heeh, seems t'me like he'd go f'ra egg cream. Choichill too." "Yaar a barrn diplomat, Joseph" chuckles Ma. "Yeh," agrees Joe, with a satisfied burp. "I am, ain' I? Hey, y't'ink Stalin would go f'egg creams?")

German troops touring Danish streets in armored cars are firing indiscriminately on all groups of more than five persons, even those gathered at streetcar stops, it was reported today by the refugee Danish press service. Despite the ruthless Nazi enforcement of martial law, however, the Danes were reported to be defying their new overlords at every opportunity, with King Christian X himself settting the keynote. "I am happy" stated the King in a brief speech, "that the Danish language is still spoken in my Fatherland. Continue!" The King was escorted by German troops to the Copenhagen suburb of Lyngby, where thousands of Danes hailed him despite the Nazi ban on gatherings of more than five persons. Meanwhile, German storm troopers and Gestapo agents occupied all Danish police stations after Danish police refused to swear an oath of allegiance to the German military commander, and sweeping arrests were ordered to prevent the rise of a Danish underground opposition.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(1).jpg

(This would make a terrific Warner Bros. B melodrama starring Wayne Morris. Too bad he's in the Navy.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(2).jpg

("F'cryin' out loud!" bellows Sally. "Get up off't'floeh! We gotta get dressed an' get t' Roselan'! You gotta be ready t'dance!" "Aw," aws Alice, "I ain' jus' layin' onna floeh! I gotta set'l me noives! Y'kep' us up till afteh Joe got home las' night practicin'! He come inna doeh, t'Victrola's playin', me swingin' Krause oveh me head, an'na look he gives us -- I ain' gonna get oveh t'at if I live t'be a hunne't!" "Lissen," growls Sally. "Do ya wanna win t'is t'ing a'not?" "Well, not 'specially," sighs Alice, lowering her copy of Screen Romances to fix Sally in a glare. "I don' caeh one way a't'utteh. But I know *you* do." "Well, yeh," admits Sally. "I mean, wouln' anybody? Whassamatteh wit'cha?" "Aw," continutes Alice, "I know it's impoet'n t'a you, an', well, I guess I owe it to ya, so, yeah, les' go. Help me up an' we'll get goin'." "Well, awright t'en," replies Sally. "Gimme ya han' an' --- OW!" "Whassamatteh?" gapes Alice, as Sally doubles over with pain. "My BACK!" yelps Sally. "When I was pullin' ya up, sump'n let go! I can't stan' up!" "Well, heeh," stammers Alice, scrambling to her feet, "lemme help ya. I'll latch on aroun' ya heeh, an'" "Hey," interrupts Krause, barging in just as Alice is applying her knee to the small of Sally's back. "Hey! If t'two'a yez wanna dance t'getteh it's awright wit' me.""OWWWWWWW" screams Sally, as we mercifully draw the curtain over the scene....)

The Eagle Editorialst acknowledges the fourth anniversary of World War II by declaring that "after four years, the dictators who contrived a blood bath for the world and the enslavement of free people are at the end of their rope, and there remains undetermined only the question of the time and the exact circumstances of their elimination from the scene."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(3).jpg

(Habits are hard to break.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(4).jpg

("My life with Leo has been so successful because he is away so much on trips." I'd love to see the Ladies Home Journal make an article out of that Oh, and this Hodges kid bears watching. You don't see too many 200 pound shortstops.)

Old Bobo Newsom, who owns baseball's most impressive collection of used uniforms, will have to pack his St. Louis Browns suit back into the trunk, and shake the mothballs out of his Washington Senators togs. Buck was sold to the Nats yesterday for the $7500 waiver price after being knocked out of the box nine times since the Brownies got him back from the Dodgers in July, running up a St. Louis record of 1 and 6 and proving a great trial to manager Luke Sewell. This will be Bobo's third tour of duty with Washington, where he and owner Clark Griffith are said to be great card-playing pals.

Radio's "Superman" has a new role -- Clayton "Bud" Collyer will exchange his cape and union suit for a tuxedo as the new announcer for "Truth or Consequences."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(5).jpg

(First rule of effective marketing -- give them just enough to keep them coming back.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(6).jpg

("I'd say quite a lot of woman, sir." It's nice to see Eric Blore picking up some work in the funnies.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(7).jpg

(Tiny certainly seems to enjoy his work. I bet he's a hoot with a rubber hose.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(8).jpg

(Say what you will about Mr. Beck, but he does know dogs.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Sep_1__1943_(9).jpg

(You'd think the alcohol fumes would repel the mosquitoes....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters