Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_.jpg

("Gawdawmighy," sighs Sally. "T'at pooeh baby. How's anybody do t'at? I ask ya." "What kin'a woil'?" agrees Alice. "I mean, I guess me ma didn't want me no moeh, leavin' me onna Fulton Street L t'way she done. But at leas' she didn' -- y'know, t'at t'eh." "I was neveh sueh I wan'ed a kid," continues Sally. "We said we was, y'know, gonna be caehf'l till we was bot' sueh. We wasn' makin' much money, times was tough, an' we jus' wasn' sueh. We neveh planned on Leonoreh, y'know -- we had awlese books said what t'do an' when t'do it so t'eh wasn' no s'prises -- but we gotta s'prise jus't'same. An' y'know, if anybody tried t'hoit Leonoreh, I t'ink I'd -- well, I'd kill 'em. I would. Wit'out ev'n t'inkin'. An' -- well, ain'at how y'sposta feel?" "I dunno," shrugs Alice. "I neveh had no kids, an' neveh t'ought about havin' no kids really. Well, t'ill now." They ride on in silence for some time as the train rattles thru the Holland Tunnel. "Sal," resumes Alice, "c'n I borreh t'em books?")

The State Department made clear today its belief that bullets, bayonets, and bombs are the only language Japan can understand, with the publication of new chapters in the continuing story of Japanese atrocities not only against Allied prisoners but also against civilian internees. The State Department disclosed that neither threats of retaliation against Japanese prisoners held by the Allies, the promise of certain punishment after the war, nor appeals that Japan adhere to her published promises, have swerved Japan from the campaign of abused waged against her prisoners since the war began. The latest documents concerning these atrocities were released today by Secretary of State Cordell Hull after an hour-long conference with President Roosevelt. The Hull report supplements earlier documents released by the Army and Navy describing the mass murder by Japan of 7700 American and 14,000 Filipino heroes of Corregidor and Bataan, and itemizes both categories of abuse against other prisoners and acts committed against civilians held by the "brutal," "barbarous," and "depraved" forces of Japan.

The price of anthracite coal in New York City jumped 45 cents a ton today as the Weather Bureau warned of another severe cold snap over the next 24 hours. Temperatures overnight are expected to plunge to 10 degrees above zero, accompanied by gusty winds and occasional gales. The increase in the coal ceiling was authorized by the Office of Price Administration in order to reflect increased mining expenses expected during February, and is intended to expire on February 29th. Meanwhile city fuel administrator Edwin Salmon indicated that three new emergency coal depots will open today in Brooklyn and Queens where consumers may purchase anthracite drawn from city reserves in 50 and 100 pound bags on a cash-and-carry basis.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(1).jpg

("Go WAN," giggles Miss Kaplan. "She does NAWT!" "She does TOO," protests Joe. "Who don't what?" interjects Mozelewski, taking his seat at the lunch table. "Joe says," Miss Kaplan continues, "t'at his wife t'inks he looks like Jawn Gawrfield. Y'know, t' moom-pitcheh acteh." "Joe??" gapes Mozelewski. "T'is guy heeh? Naaaaaah." "Awright, look," insists Joe. "I'll show yez. Look heeh." Joe takes off his shop cap, musses his hair, leans back, tilts his head, and squints soulfully into the distance. "See t'eh?" he challenges. Miss Kaplan gives him a close examination, and shakes her head. "Neh," she concludes. "Don' see it. You see it, Mozelewski?" "Moeh like Frank McHugh," shrugs Mozelewski. "Hey, you gonna eat t'at apple?" "Well, Sal sees it," snorts Joe. "T'at's awl I caehrabout. So noitz t't' bot'a'yez." "Sal sees it, huh?" laughs Miss Kaplan. "Dincha say she hadda get glasses?" "Awright, y't'ink yeh so funny," fumes Joe. I'll show yez!" He stand up, unclips his overall straps, and begins to open his shirt. He is three buttons down when he sense a sudden silence falling over the nearby lunch tables, and feels the gaze of dozens of curious eyes. His face flushes a deep red as Miss Kaplan covers her mouth to stifle an explosive laugh. "I'm gonna go set oveh -- t'eh," growls Joe as he reassembles his dignity and stalks away.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(2).jpg

(YOU DONT LOOK COLD TO ME.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(3).jpg

("Neh," nehs Krause, bundling a pile of discarded newspapers and magazines with stout twine. "Aw,"aws young Willie Sweeney, looking up from a tattered copy of Flash Comics. "Wanna read." "Huh," huhs Krause. "You c'n read?" "Neh," Willie flushes. "Lookit pitchehs t'ough." "Well, I dunno," shrugs Krause, resting his bundle on a barrel and crouching down on the basement floor. "Seem like y'might not get t'whole story y'don' read it. Lemme see heeh. Now -- wow, now whassawlis? Who's'is guy wit' wings on his hat?" "Flash," replies Willie. "Runs real fast. FSSSSSH!" "Oh yeh," nods Krause, shifting his cigar to the other side of his mouth. "Well'en, see, innis pitcheh heeh, t' Flash runs aroun'nis guy -- I guess he's a crook, right? An' nna Flash swings 'im up inna aieh an' says to 'im, 'e says 'Waltz me aroun' again, Willie!' T'at ain' you t'ough, t'at's t'is ot'eh Willie." "Misteh Krause," comes a voice calling down the stairs. "Misteh Krause, please," continues the voice, resolving into the form of Mr. Ginsburg. "A leetle heat, is possible? Oh, pardon please, I did not mean an interrupt." "Waltz me aroun' again, Willie!" laughs Willie. "What is?" queries Mr. Ginsburg. "Yeh," nods Krause. "C'mon, now, wanna help me open'a dampeh?" "Yeh!" exults Willie. "A nice boy," nods Mr. Ginsburg. "Yeh," grins Krause.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(4).jpg

("Two Ton Tony" Galento was ultimately unsuccessful in his attempt to be known as "Three Eyes Tony" Galento. And you may recall that Pete Gray starred a few years back on the Brooklyn semipro circuit with the Bay Parkways.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(6).jpg

(SIBYL DARDANELLA! SYBIL DARDANELLA! SYBIL DARDANELLA! Does this mean we're finally back in the Prime Bungleverse????)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(5).jpg

(A showgirl and a prissy aviator alone against nature's fury. Isn't that a movie?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(7).jpg

(At least put down the hamburger before you hit on the switchboard operator. A gal likes to feel special.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(8).jpg

(Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins. Is Miles Laboratories underwriting this page?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG knows how to gaslight.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_.jpg

If you wonder why so many members of the "Silent Generation" will grow up with massive unresolved trauma, read Page Four for a week.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(1).jpg

I thought this was all settled. So much going on right now it's easy to lose track.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(2).jpg

For a "fine hit man" Flattop sure is sloppy.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(3).jpg

I actually take a long route around just so I can do this.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(4).jpg

GAWDAWMIGHTY.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(5).jpg

"Hobnail boots? Obviously a British soldier."

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(7).jpg

It's cruel to define one by their physiognamy.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(8).jpg

Stand up straight when addressing a senior enlisted man.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(9).jpg

"Remember when they used to call you a 'rattle brained hepcat?' Hey, did you ever get those two-toned corduroy pants?"

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_1__1944_(10).jpg

Hey look, bunk beds!

Terry1_COVER3D-6X6_1dfab07e-dc7c-4d65-aabf-0d66be4f398b_480x480.jpg copy.jpg

Some of you may remember that a few years back I purchased "Terry and the Pirates: The Master Collection" published by Clover Press.

From the Clover Press' site: The Library of American Comics and Clover Press are proud to publish Terry and the Pirates: The Master Collection. Reproduced from Milton Caniff's personal set of color syndicate tabloid proofs that were unavailable for previous books, this series is the ultimate edition of Caniff's masterpiece. We present the Sundays in an unmatched color fidelity and larger than they have ever before been reprinted -- an unparalleled upgrade that no Terry fan can afford to pass up.

The complete collection is twelve volumes, each roughly representing one year of strips, which covers the twelve years when Milton Caniff drew the strip.

While the books are expensive, since they release only a few per year and charge you as new ones are sent, it's not been too painful to buy them this way.

I finally cracked them open and have now read the first two years. For those of us who have been reading them here (thank you, Lizzie, for that), these approximately full-sized prints from tabloid proofs, with the Sunday ones in color, are just amazing to see. They are beautiful illustrations with amazing detail.

The stories, while not yet as mature as the ones we've come to know, even early on, have an adult angle that Caniff would more fully develop over the years. Plus, it's fun as heck to meet our friends, like Pat, Terry and Connie, just starting out and to see how characters, like Burma, Normandie and others, get introduced. No sign of Hu Shee yet, though (big giant sigh).

If anyone is interested, all the volumes that have been released are still available, with some even at a slight discount (I think I got a discount for signing up for the full series ahead of time).

Here's a link to the website: https://cloverpress.us/collections/terry-and-the-pirates-the-master-collection

Just so that you know, it's a poorly designed site and the company is hard to get in touch with sometimes, but it's been honest (bills only when it ships) and the books are beautiful.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Outstanding review, and I further encourage any of our readers here with a hankering for more Caniff to give these books a try. The first few months of the strip you can see Caniff figuring out where he wants to go with it -- but by the time Normandie shows up for the first time, the characters are coming to life, and the storytelling style is really shaping up. For the first few years the daily and Sunday continuities are separate, which can be confusing, but in 1937 the two storylines will very smoothly merge.

In particular, Burma's first story -- which also introduces the despicable Captain Judas, who will one day murder Raven Sherman in cold blood -- is a really outstanding piece of work. Exciting, well-drawn, suspenseful, and, yes, sexy. Pat Ryan in his younger years is quite the side of beefcake, even with his clothes on. And you can also see why he and Normandie fell for each other as hard as they did.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(1).jpg

("T'oity t'ousan'!" whistles Alice. "C'n you imagin'at?" ""Oh, easy," replies Sally. "Any Sun'ay aftehoon at Ebbets Feel wit' t' Giants awr t' Cawrdn'ls in town. You got t'oity t'ousan' an' change." "Huh," muses Alice. "Magin'at. A whole crowd fr'm Ebbets Feel goin' in onna Japaneses. Hey, 'maigin'at whenney open'ya secon' fron' in Europe." "Gonna take lot moe'hn'at," shrugs Sally. "A whole weeken' series, ev'n," suggests Alice. "Neh," corrects Sally. "I betcha t'eh gonna need a whole season's woit' f' sump'n like that." "Yeh," nods Alice, pondering the logistics of it all. "Hey Sal," she finally resumes. "I bet t'at's why t' Awrmy took MacPhail!")

Observers in Moscow today noted tremendous implications in a proposed amendment to the Soviet Constitution proposed by Foreign Commissar V. M. Molotov, which would permit constituent republics of the Soviet Union to conduct their own individual foreign policies and maintain their own army formations. The possibility that such an arrangement would give the USSR an effective sixteen individual seats at the peace table when the time comes, with qualified observers suggesting that such an arrangement would improve the cordiality of relations between the Soviets and the rest of the United Nations. It was noted that such an arrangement would closely parallel the existing political setup of the British Commonwealth with respect to diplomatic procedure, with member states conducting their own ambassadorial negotiations while remaining under the Crown. As Commissar Molotov outlined the proposal to the Supreme Soviet last night, Premier Josef Stalin was present in a back row seat, signifying his endorsement of the plan.

Both houses of Congress are nearing a vote today on the explosive question of votes for soldiers. As of noon today, the Senate has agreed on one amendment to the Administration-backed Green-Lucas bill, which would provide a special Federal ballot for the use of men in the Armed Forces in the upcoming general election. The House convened at noon today under an agreement that debate on the bill will be limited to two hours before it turns its attention to the opposition-backed States Rights Bill, which would provide only State ballots to soldiers, with voting qualifications governed by each state's laws. The Senate is also preparing today to consider an amendment submitted by Sen. John Overton (D-Louisiana) which would require ballots to be distributed according to state laws, and which would repeal the 1942 Federal law banning the poll tax.

Groundhog Day arrived clear and cold today with the overnight low temperature in the city dropping to 18 degrees just after midnight, and by 7:30 this morning the thermometer had risen barely a degree. The groundhog, seeing his shadow, anticipates six more weeks of winter, but the Weather Bureau, at least, counters with a prediction that the present cold snap will end today, with conditions warming tonight and tomorrow. Gusty winds, which peaked at 60 miles an hour yesterday, will also recede.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(2).jpg

("Heh," snickers Joe, "t' weat'eh BETTEH get wawrmeh y'gonna weah p'jamas like t'at." "I wouldn' mind gett'n p'jamas like t'at," muses Miss Kaplan. "YOU?" snorts Mozelewski. "Y'gotta be tawl an' skinny t' weah p'jamas like t'at. An' you ain' neiteh!" "Whatta YOU know about it," sniffs Miss Kaplan, before sliding in the blade with a cold-blooded "Ice man!" "Oh, I read awla bout'tat innis magazine," shrugs Mozelewski. "Hawrpeh's Bizzawr. 'Sawla 'bout awlis stuff f'dames. I guess it's like Esquieh wit'tout, y'know, t'em pitchehs." "You?" spurts Miss Kaplan, biting the end off a banana in a marked manner. "How come you readin' Hawrpeh's Bizzawr?" "It was inna bawrbeh shop," shrugs Mozelewski. "I read alwa ot'eh books t'ey had inneh, an'nen I come acrost t'is one. I guess a lotta dames is goin' in'nis bawrbeh shop now, since, y'know, ya high pompadooeh is goin' outa style." "Sal wouldn' weah no p'jamas like t'at," declares Joe. "She gets heh stuff at Namm's. Ev'y'ting t'ey got t'eh, ya -- whatcha cawl'at't'eh -- is kep' covehed." "Ev'ry't'ing t'at is covehed," pronounces Miss Kaplan in a grand flourish of oratory, "shall one day be uncovehed. But who says y'can't give it a head stawrt!")

The 24-year-old unwed mother who admitted to police that she killed her baby girl has now changed her story as to how the murder was accomplished. Irma Hall of 127 Gates Avenue, who confessed yesterday to the murder of her 10-month-old daughter Sarah Jane Meister. Hall had spent hours yesterday describing to police how she killed the child by hitting her on the head with a Cuban-heeled shoe, but after a partial autopsy of the infant revealed no traces of such an assault, Hall changed her story and now asserts that she suffocated the baby by covering the child's nose and mouth with her right hand and pressed her throat with her left until the infant was dead. She added as a detail that she got blood on her hand during the suffocation, and washed it off at the kitchen sink. Another autopsy will be performed today on the baby's body to determine whether vital organs show signs of suffocation. Hall told police that she gave them the shoe story in hopes that it would stop the relentless interrogation.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(3).jpg

("Oi think," declares Uncle Frank, delicately dabbing a speck of scrambled egg from the corner of his lips with the edge of the tablecloth, "thaat this coomin' Sunday we aaaaht t'take a noice Sunday droive in Queens in me truck." "Indeed," chuckles Ma. "Laaata ploombin' s'plies t'deliver have ye?" "Ye moit say that," nods Uncle Frank."Gaahta loota empties t'pick oop too!")

At Camp Ellis in Illinois, a Crow Indian is teaching Army commandos and rangers the art of stalking "dangerous prey." Corporal Miles F. Horn, a fifty-year-old North Dakotan who is known as White Crow within his tribe, and as "Chief" to the men under his command, says that tracking a man is not too far different from tracking a puma, and many of the same methods will apply. The tracker must, in Cpl. Horn's words, "know how to hide better than the animal he is after."

Eddie Bracken isn't just a fine comic actor, he's also got a knack, it seems, for female impersonation -- at least vocally speaking. When co-star Betty Hutton's sobs and screams drowned out Bracken's dialogue in a certain scene in Preston Sturges' Paramount hit "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," Sturges brought Bracken into a dubbing stage to re-record those lines. But rather than bring in Hutton to recreate her part of the scene. Bracken himself doubled her voice to ensure he would not again be overriden.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(4).jpg

("I hope she and Tommy will be very happy together!"_

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(5).jpg

("Yes, Harold my boy," rumbles Mr. Rickey, "we are on the horns, dear boy, the very prongs, mind you, of a dilemma. This Durocher situation is untenable, entirely unacceptable." "Yessir," nods Mr. Parrott. "Absolutely sir." "But never fear my boy, never fear," continues Mr. Rickey from within a dense cloud of Garcia Y Alta, "there is a solution, an answer, a positive resolution that shall work to the benefit of all." "Yes sir!" beams Mr. Parrott, moving close, but not too close, to his mentor's side. "And I am confident, my boy," concludes Mr. Rickey, "that you shall have it on my desk by 3 o'clock. We shall release it to the press at 4 pm. We must make the early editions of tomorrow's dailies, dear boy, the early editions!" "Yes sir," groans Mr. Parrott.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(6).jpg

(A dangerous nest of Nazi spies, always willing to help out in an emergency...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(7).jpg

("And George, has your nose gotten smaller? Not that I would have any needs along those lines...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(8).jpg

(Please welcome our guests today --Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Bobby Jordan, and Gabe Dell.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG never takes the Lord's name in vain.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_.jpg

HOOCH GOUGING! HOOCH GOUGING! HOOCH GOUGING!

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(2).jpg

But what happened to Winston the Lion Cub?

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(3).jpg

Hey Ferret, why aren't you wearing your rug?

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(4).jpg

You'd think a Fine Hit Man would do a better job of keeping his cool.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(5).jpg

She works the night shift at Sperry's.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(6).jpg

There's such a thing as too clever for your own good.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(7).jpg

"Ever been wounded, Wilmer? Wanna find out what it's like?"

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(8).jpg

"Um, he had an affair with my mom, too. We try not to talk about it."

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_2__1944_(9).jpg

At least he's got a good home, I guess.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_.jpg

("Ahhhh, now, Nora," exhales Uncle Frank, stabbing the newspaper with his beefy thumb, "ye taaalk aboot bloody amatchoors in YARR loine, look here at whaat Oi got to deal with in MOINE!" "Shameful," sniffs Ma. "Th' very oidear. But now see hyeer -- whaat's this they mean by 'whoite mule?" "It kicks," shrugs Uncle Frank. "Ah," ahhs Ma.)

Louis "Lepke" Buchhalter and his pals, engaged now in a legal battle for their lives, were said by District Attorney William O'Dwyer to be "guilty as hell." So asserts internationally-known attorney Arthur Garfield Hays, representing defendant Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss. But Hays further asserted yesterday that O'Dwyer, currently on a leave of absence from his prosecutorial duties while he serves as a colonel in the U. S. Army, also told him that he would recommend clemency for Buchhalter, Weiss, and fellow defendant Louis Capone, on the grounds of the obvious division on the Court of Appeals as to whether the trio were given a fair trial. "They're guilty as hell," O'Dwyer is said to have told Hays. "But," he is said to have added, "I can read."

Meanwhile, Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus was in Albany yesterday to testify for the county in a clemency hearing for the three defendents held at the State Capitol in Albany, and declared that clemency would not be justified for the "Murder for Money" men unless they "came forward and offered to tell us the names of those who shared the plunder with them."

A report bearing more than the usual marks of authenticity circulating in European diplomatic circles suggests that the Soviet Union has given Finland six weeks to drop out of the war or "face the consequences." Finnish collaboration with Nazi Germany has softened in recent months, and the Soviets have indicated that they are willing to negotiate a separate peace with the Finns on the basis of restoration of the 1940 border between the two nations. The Soviets are also said to be willing to leave open the status of Hanghoe, key base at the opening of the Gulf of Finland. It is suggested that a failure by Finland to accept those terms would lead to "fighting to the end," with the Soviets thereafter dictating the terms of peace.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(1).jpg

("Good," snorts Sally. "We got enough lousy cops aroun'neeh as it is wit'out havin'nis bum aroun'. Manhatt'n c'n have 'im." "Wisht he'd took'at rat Flannehry wit'tim," adds Alice. "Afteh t'at business he pul't tryin'a wreck me wedd'n, gett'n Siddy arrested'n'awlat. Coun'ehfeit nickels! Wit'awlat'ings goin' awn innis town, he runs 'im in f'ra coun'ehfeit nickel!" "I t'ought t'ey was gonna sen' him t'Staten Islan' a'sump'n," notes Sally. "Neeeeh," growls Alice. "T'ey say t'at Flannehry's gotta cousin a'sump'n knows Valentine, y'know." She pauses to wiggle her fingers as though dangling a marionette. "Y'know? Pull'em strings!" "Ahhh," grumbles Sally. "What t'ey otta do is reassign'im t' t' special mounted division?" "Whassat?" queries Alice. "You know," says Sally. "T'em guys t'ey send in whenna milk wagon hawrse gets loose..." "Heh!" snickers Alice, envisioning her adversary so occupiued. "Heigh-ho Silveh!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(2).jpg

("Stink bombs," snickers Miss Kaplan. "Itch powdeh, awlat stuff. Y'know, you c'n have a lotta fun wit'tat." "Hmph," hmphs Joe. "Maybe you t'ink so, but I don'. I remembeh one night me'n Sal wen' downa t' RKO Dykeh, right? Wen' down t'see t'at pitcheh "Bringin' Up Baby,' y'know t'at one?" "Ain'nat t'one," interjects Mozelewski, "wheh t'at Cary Grant is jumpin' aroun' in a dame's nightgown'a sump'n?" "Yeh," nods Joe. "An'nehs Kat'rine Hepboin wit' a tigeh 'ra sump'n." "T'at nightgown was t'wrawng fit f'him," shrugs Mozelewski. "He didn' have t'right kin'a shouldehs f't'em big sleeves onneh." Joe and Miss Kaplan shoot Mozelewski a puzzled glance. "Um," he shrugs. "Hawrpeh's Bizzawr." "Aaaaanyways," continues Joe, "we'eh sett'in'neh, an' nezzis smell, like, you know, t' Gowanus Canal on a sunny day. Real strawng. I look at Sal, an' she sez t'me, she sez, 'don' look at me, you know t'ey don' show Hoist newsreels in'neeh.' An'nen we look aroun' an'nez people jumpin' up an' runnin' f't' dooeh - well toint out some jokeh t'rew one'a t'em stink bombs outa t'balcony an' -- well, t'smell flushed evr'ybody right out'ta t'jernt. Roont'a pitcheh f'r us. I neveh did fin' out how it come out." "Wheh wazzis now?" queries Miss Kaplan. "RKO Dykeh," replies Joe. "Fiive 'a six yeehs ago." "Ah," nods Miss Kaplan, working to suppress a smirk. "What?" queries Joe. "Ohhh," shrugs Miss Kaplan, her smirk spreading into a grin. "Nut'n.")

"The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," Preston Sturges' latest comedy smash now in its third week at the N. Y. Paramount opened yesterday to highly satisfied crowds at the Brooklyn Paramount, as the top half of a double bill paired with Roy Rogers' latest musical western, "Hands Across the Border." The two films make for an amusing contrast --Sturges has given audiences the most daring comedy to make the screen in a very long time, while the Rogers film, in the usual way of Rogers films, in no way challenges any social code.

Approximately five hundred Brooklyn husbands deserted their families last year, and Uncle Sam has taken charge in thirty five of those cases, immediately reclassifying the men 1-A and forcing them into the Army. The abandoned families have been awarded military allotments. Last year, 132 desertion cases were prosecuted in the city, with court orders forcing the men to provide for their familes.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(3).jpg

(Ever heard of "saving waste fat?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(4).jpg

(It has been my feeling ever since the Cry Baby affair of 1940 that perhaps Mr. Alva Bradley is not cut out for his particular line of business. And "Danny Kaye, the Actor?" Hey Leo, find out if he can play second base!)

Ten thousand sound motion picture prints have been donated to the U. S. Army by the Hollywood film industry, for exhibition to the troops in camp and overseas. The films, printed in 16mm home-movie size for use on portable projectors, include a wide selection of current hits and popular past productions. The titles were selected by the troops themselves from a list submitted to military authorities by the studios.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(5).jpg

(Break the door in, maybe there's a machine with those peanuts with the chocolate smeared on the outside...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(6).jpg

(I can't wait for the sight of a GIANT Sybil Dardanella rampaging all over Long Island.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(7).jpg

(I thought "con man" was no longer a reserved occupation.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(8).jpg

(No, I do think it's absolutely safe to say that he will NEVER "score.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(9).jpg

(WHY CAN'T WE GET A NICE DOG LIKE THAT "SANDY." ALL HE EVER DOES IS GRIN AND SAY "ARF.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_.jpg

"Hmph!" hmphs Ma. "Hmph Hmph HMPH!!!!"

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(1).jpg

"Hmmmmm." -- Henry J. Kaiser

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(2).jpg

"WHAT? NO MUSTARD?"

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(3).jpg

"Do we have any of that Scotch tape?"

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(4).jpg

I hear you can even get patent leather with hobnails now if you know somebody.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(5).jpg

Aside from the ritual humiliation of Wilmer, something I always enjoy, note the shield for US 41 -- which runs into Chicago, via Hammond, Indiana and along Lake Shore Drive before continuing into the northern suburbs and on into Wisconsin. There doesn't seem to be a Coe Street anywhere along the way, but it's reasonable to think that Mr. King is giving us a clue as to where his strip takes place.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(6).jpg

"He'd recognize you, Andy." Let's all salute Captain Obvious.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(7).jpg

He's a psychiatrist in civilian life, but he declined a commission because they won't let an officer wear his hat like that.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(8).jpg

Mmmm. Roadside Culvert Bass.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_3__1944_(9).jpg

"Aww, that's nice. Hey, anybody heard from Lillums?"

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Cannot stop admiring Caniff's artistry. Between that silhouette of Taffy and Terrence's Irvin shearling jacket
my covetous libido is all systems go. Yet his reticence reality-wise remains a foggy since the news sheets spread reality like a cow barn spreads manure dung.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_.jpg

("Who is blooody fool enough t'run a still in BATH BEACH," scoffs Uncle Frank. "Ye might as well hang oot a sign, ye might. An' people GO t'Bath Beach, it says soo roit in the name!" "Naaht anymore," points out Ma, carefully carving a bit of fat off the edge of her pork chop and dropping it into an empty can placed strategically on the supper table. "Don'chee r'emembarrr, they paved aahl that oovar t'build th' Belt Paarkway. Noboody goes tharr 'cept in an automoble passin' thru." "Well joost th' same," argues Uncle Frank, it's VISIBLE. People droivin' by look doon fr'm thaaar mootarcars an' see the coomin's an' the gooin's." "Naaaht loike Canarsie," chuckles Ma, between bites of chop. "Noooo," nods Uncle Frank, "naaaht loike Canarsie. NOOOBODY gooes t'Canarsie. Eeeevn people thaat LIVE in Canarsie, don't go t'Canarsie!")

Condemning the practices of professional gamblers and their "mouthpieces," who "shop around" the lower criminal courts in search of judges who will deal out minor penalties, Magistrate Charles Solomon called for a crusade against "bargain-counter justice." Sitting today in Essex Market Court in Manhattan, the Brooklyn magistrate deplored the existing legal setup that "makes it possible for gamblers and their lawyers to shuffle around between Magistrates' Court and the Court of Special Sessions for what they regard as a break." Magistrate Solomon made his comments after hearing several gambling cases, in most of which the defendants' attorneys asked for their cases to be transferred to Special Sessions. Solomon called for legislation placing gambling cases under the full jurisdiction of the Magistrates' Court. "The only beneficiaries now are the gamblers and their mouthpieces," declared Solomon. "Decent citizen taxpayers foot the bill."

In an article published today in the monthly bulletin of the Non-Sectarian Anti-Nazi League, that organization charged that "Naziphile" provocateurs are using American clubwomen as unwitting pawns in the spread of Nazi propaganda. The article asserts that so-called "mothers' clubs" are particularly vulnerable to this sort of manipulation, pointing to a Chicago group called "We The Mothers" as a notable example. The weekly newsletter of that organization, it is charged, is frequently used by Nazi operatives to spread isolationist political views and to advocate for a "negotiated peace" with Nazi Germany. Another organization cited is the New York-based "American Women Against Communism," operated from a Vanderbilt Avenue apartment by "the indomitable Mrs. A. Cressy Morrison," who, it is charged, is actively working to spread discord among the United Nations.

A city-wide ban on the use of anthracite coal by any consumer whose furnace or stove is capable of burning bituminous coal has been proposed by City Fuel Administrator Edwin Salmon as "an essential point in any allocation program" covering the use of coal during the winter of 1944-45. While Salmon does not feel there is any justification for the coupon rationing of coal, he argues that such a requirement would ensure a fair coal supply for all. Salmon's proposal would require consumers be notified by April 1st of the type of fuel they will be allowed to burn and the exact quota of that fuel they will be alloted for next winter.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(1).jpg

("Awright, awright," concedes Miss Kaplan. "Maybe y'do, a little maybe, look like Jawn Gawrfield." "It ain' t'at I'm sayin'," protests Joe. "It jus' IS." "Not t'at it's muchuvva big deal t'look like Jawn Gawrfield," sniffs Miss Kaplan to her corned beef sandwich. "Haff'ta guys in Brooklyn look like Jawn Gawrfield." "Ann'a ot'eh half," adds Mozelewski, "looks like Frank McHugh.")

Reader F. J. Worral admonishes Magistrate J. Roland Sala for his recent remarks denouncing conductor Artur Rodzinski for his criticisms of "boogie woogie" music. "After all," insists Worral, "Dr. Rodzinski has every right to his opinion and there are many others, possessing a fine ear for music, who share that opinion." Worral adds that Magistrate Sala would have been better adviced to focus his criticism on the "twenty-six hepcat dice players who were brought before him for offending the law."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(2).jpg

(This isn't Sally and Joe's kitchen, but it could be in the same building. Note the wall next to the sink, just right for displaying newspaper clippings of Pete Coscarart.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(3).jpg

("T'at dope Rickey," growls Sally. "He otta go an' make Dressen'a manageh right out, 'steada tryin' t'get an hones' days woik outa Leo. On'y way he's gonna get Leo to concentrate is put a microphone inna dugout." "Dressen ain' so smawrt," scoffs Alice. "Whatcha mean?" demands Sally. "He's woikin' f'Leo," ainee?")

The Dodger exhibition schedule for the spring training season continues to take shape, with four more games added against the West Point Cadets. The Dodgers themselves will play two of these games, on March 29 and April 12, with the remaining two games to pit the shavetails against the Montreal Royals on April 3 and 5.

Dodger fireballer Ed Head is working on his farm in Monroe, Louisiana, but is awaiting his draft call any day now. Head was recently reclassified to 1A by his local board.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(4).jpg

("Oh. 9 1/2 medium. And I take an 11 long. WELL CLOSE ENOUGH.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(5).jpg

(Careful, bub. A captain in the AAF doesn't trump a lawyer for Standard Oil!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(6).jpg

(CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(7).jpg

(Maybe she's dumb enough to flirt with Tubby, but she's not THAT dumb.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(8).jpg

(HAW HAW HA HA)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_4__1944_(9).jpg

(Trix is a lap dog now. LIKE IT OR NOT.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass