Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_.jpg
"Windsor? Is he still in the league?"

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(1).jpg

I met her when I was seven years old. Shook her hand and everything. Had no idea who she was, but I later figured it out.

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(2).jpg
Clearly Mr. Hill did his field research at the Polo Grounds. They don't look like this at Ebbets Field.

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(3).jpg

"Yes sir, I'm the best dog-rider in the whole USA!")

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(4).jpg
Shadow didn't have his Dari-Rich today.

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(5).jpg
"Cap' Tom?" Red hair, red mustache, kinda fat? Didn't you used to have whiskers and go by the name of 'Blaze?'"

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(6).jpg
While Kayo tries to get Plushie to vomit up a live fish, Kitty goes super-ultra-meta. "Who is the dreamer, and who is the dream?"

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(7).jpg
Hahahahahahahaha! Well, that's an even better disguise.

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(8).jpg
Just stay away from the talking sheep, kid. Ask Bungle.

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(9).jpg

John and Nick both seem to be going in for the Surveillance State -- in their own way.

...Mayor LaGuardia was on hand to preside over the ceremony paying over the bonds, and when asked whether the removal of the Fulton Street L will lead in turn to the removal of the trolley lines now operating along Fulton Street the Mayor acknowledged that "it seems a pity" to leave them there, but that at least the long-haul trolleys on that route will have to remain in operation "for the time being."...

Any idea why LaGuardia felt this way as you would think - without other information - that those trolley lines would be more important now that the capacity of the L is gone?

...The Richmond Hill telephone exchange in Queens is to be discontinued, following a ruling by the state Public Utilities Commission upholding a decision by the New York Telephone Company to drop that exchange and absorb the area it covers into surrounding exchanges. Residents had opposed the decision, citing a sentimental attachment to the Richmond Hill name, and members of the Richmond Hill Board of Trade declared that loss of that name in telephone numbers will lead to a loss of business. The Richmond Hill exchange dates back to 1892, and is one of the last non-dial-service manual exchanges left in the city....

:(

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jun_2__1940_.jpg (There is nothing on earth so uncomfortable as wearing a girdle on a hot day. Trust me.)...

"Five 'deathless' version of the Spectator shoe...." Any idea why they are described as "deathless?" (Having a not-skinny heal is my wild guess.)

.... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(5).jpg (Poor M. Reynaud. I don't think he'll be getting in much bicycling from here on.)...

Re George Jean Nathan and his overcoats. It's funny, we all know some clothes-horse men, but more often, I've known men who like one item - shoes (that's a big one) or ties (used to be a big one) or shirts or, like GJN, overcoats - and will own many versions of that one item, while the rest of their wardrobe is pretty slim.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(8).jpg (Be thankful, at least, that they aren't elephants.)

:)

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_.jpg "Windsor? Is he still in the league?"

I think the Daily News is missing the point of this marriage as, while I don't claim to understand the hold that Wallis Simpson had on men (I have some thoughts though), putting them in a general state of happiness is not what she was all about. You don't marry her because it's easy or going to be a fun-and-pleasant day-to-day marriage.

... Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(3).jpg
"Yes sir, I'm the best dog-rider in the whole USA!")....

Where's the bag of money? He doesn't seem to have it with him after he leaves the messenger nor when he jumps on the train?

Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(7).jpg .. View attachment 239256 Hahahahahahahaha! Well, that's an even better disguise.....

Just to make it relevant, I will point out that Blaze is, effectively, risking exposing everyone onshore to cholera.

View attachment 239239 .... Daily_News_Sun__Jun_2__1940_(9).jpg
John and Nick both seem to be going in for the Surveillance State -- in their own way.

It was all but a recap of the week and, I assume, tomorrow will be a recap of the recap? This Sunday-weekday dynamic is craziness.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There was a sense that the surface lines in downtown Brooklyn contributed to traffic congestion, and that expanding subway and bus connections would be the best way to eliminate that. The last trolley line ended in Brooklyn in 1956, but the process of phasing them out was already underway by 1940, and there doesn't seem to have been a lot of political outrage about it. If you look at a Brooklyn trolley map in 1940, someone who didn't depend on those cars every day for service to their neighborhood might think there were redundancies that could be eliminated -- part of the idea of transit unification was to make it easier to expand the subways and eventually accomplish that. A few years ago, the Eagle was reporting on talk of bringing trolleys back -- which just shows to go about hindsight...

I think "deathless" here refers to their style -- they'll never go out of fashion, so you need not worry about spending extra for them, because you'll be able to wear them for years. Brown-and-white spectators were a standard-issue summer shoe at least into the sixties.

The Duke and the Duchess deserved each other.

Poor old Blaze. He's always been a reprobate, but sometimes he's more reprobate than others. I've been amazed he hasn't gotten sick by now, but maybe his super power is "immunity." I do hope the old rascal survives, though, and that we haven't seen the last of him.

I think Mr. Trohs stuffed the cash into his clothes, which will create some interesting effects if he pulls his shrinking trick again.

This week's "Annie" is clunkier than usual for a Sunday page. I sometimes think Mr. Gray would be better off following the "Gumps" model of doing an entirely separate story on Sundays.

The more I think about that Moon Mullins page, the more it nags at me. If Kitty is reading that very same page, then she herself appears at the bottom of that page, reading that very same page, upon which she herself appears reading that very same page, ad infinitum. Just how recursive is her universe?

The Duke and the Duchess deserved each other....

Oh God yes, the world on the other hand did not deserve them.

...I think "deathless" here refers to their style -- they'll never go out of fashion, so you need not worry about spending extra for them, because you'll be able to wear them for years. Brown-and-white spectators were a standard-issue summer shoe at least into the sixties....

Makes sense, but odd way of saying it.

...Poor old Blaze. He's always been a reprobate, but sometimes he's more reprobate than others. I've been amazed he hasn't gotten sick by now, but maybe his super power is "immunity." I do hope the old rascal survives, though, and that we haven't seen the last of him....

Keith Richard is living proof that some people are not meant to die.

...I think Mr. Trohs stuffed the cash into his clothes, which will create some interesting effects if he pulls his shrinking trick again....

If that's the answer, I'm throwing the flag on that one - that money isn't fitting in that little guy's pockets.

...This week's "Annie" is clunkier than usual for a Sunday page. I sometimes think Mr. Gray would be better off following the "Gumps" model of doing an entirely separate story on Sundays....

Re Annie: I will not negotiate with terrorists. Keep the story line going and force the papers to carry all seven days or none.

Re Gumps: It's the parallel universe and relativity of time concepts; if true, then kinda nothing matters.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For the first time in nine months of war, German bombs fell today on Paris, killing forty-five people and wounding 149. Unverified reports say at least one American was killed in the attack. A bomb fell six feet from U. S. Ambassador William Bullitt, but failed to explode. As the bombs fell, Parisians continued to wine and dine in cafes, unable to believe that they were under attack, despite the sirens that began to wail at 1:20 pm Paris time (8:20 am Brooklyn time.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_.jpg

Ambassador Bullitt, in relaying news of his survival, told President Roosevelt that the bomb pierced the ceiling of the room where he was eating lunch. When the all-clear sounded, those who were in the room with him adjourned to finish their lunch elsewhere. The ambassador explained his narrow escape by telling the President that God was with him.

The German High Command is claiming that 330,000 British and French troops have been taken prisoner in the course of the battle of Artois and Flanders. The communique stated that this count was "preliminary."

The chairman of the board of 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation has been indicted on tax evasion charges. Joseph M. Schenck is accused of defrauding the government out of more than $400,000 in income tax due for the years of 1935, 1936, and 1937. In addition to the tax charges, Schenck faces related charges of conspiracy and perjury. If convicted on all counts, the movie executive could face a total of 167 years in prison and more than $160,000 in fines.

Reak summertime heat hit Brooklyn today for the first time this year, with temperatures soaring 17 degrees in less than seven hours to hit a peak of 80 degrees by 1 pm. Six hundred thousand people headed to Coney Island today, with an estimated 1000 hardy souls braving the still-chilly surf for their first dip of the season.

A 42-year-old Bedford-Stuyvesant woman is dead and a 98 year old "Negro Scientific Doctor" is in custody following a strange case of alleged poisoning. Mrs. Emma Rehn of 873 Gates Avenue died yesterday after drinking a "potion" alleged to have been prepared for her by Moishe Byron, who claims to be "an Arabian Jew of Palestine descent," and who appeared in the police lineup wearing long flowing robes and a skull cap. Police say that Mrs. Rehn, who suffered from cancer, summoned Byron to her home yesterday and drank the brew of various herbs after a series of what the police describe as "voodoo incantations." Byron admitted to preparing the potion, but denied taking it to Mrs. Rehn in person, stating that it was delivered to her by messenger. Police say that the elderly Byron has twice been arrested and fined on charges of "unlawful practice of medicine."

Comedian George Jessel is under medical treatment in Los Angeles following a paralytic stroke. The popular star of stage, screen, and radio arrived in that city this week with his sixteen-year-old wife to answer a lawsuit filed by a former agent charging that Jessel owes him $1600 in unpaid commissions. Jessel's attorney says the comedian is paralyzed on one side of his face, and will be "unable to leave his home for some time."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(1).jpg
(Tootsie?)

William Gerald Bishop, accused as ringleader in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy plot denied today from the witness stand in Brooklyn Federal Court that he is or was ever a Nazi, or that he has ever worked for any foreign power since he "returned to this country" as a stowaway in 1926. Bishop claimed to have been born in Salem, Massachusetts in 1900, and that he was taken to Germany by his parents at the age of six, and that he worked at menial jobs between 1926 and 1932, when he was "transferred to a personality research project at New York University." He stated that he has worked since then as a teacher of English and Spanish for the WPA. He acknowledged that while on relief he attempted to organize an anti-Communist movement within the WPA, but denies any association with Nazi groups.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(2).jpg

(Condsidering that pie sells for a nickel a slice at the Automat, 31 cents for a whole pie is a very very good deal. Got any of that custard?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(3).jpg

(+3 for Cagney, Sheridan, and O'Brien. -1 for Cagney's hokey moustache that makes him look like Johnny Arthur.)

The Supreme Court today upheld the expulsion of two Pennsylvania school students who refused to salute the flag. William and Lillian Gobitis of Minersville, Penn. are members of the Jehovah's Witnesses religious sect, which believes that any form of flag saluting constitutes an act of religious idolatry. Justice Harlan F. Stone was the lone dissenter in the court's 8-1 decision upholding the removal of the children from school, which argued that religious freedom must "harmonize with basic principles that protect such rights" and that compulsory flag saluting was merely a recognition of those principles.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(4).jpg

("George!" says Mrs. Lichty, as she looks over today's cartoon. "What's this supposed to mean?" "Nothing dear," says Mr. Lichty, as he bends low over his drawing board.)

With tempers running high over the beaning of Pee Wee Reese, the Dodgers bore down and swept the Cubs in a twinbill in Chicago, winning the first game thanks to an extraordinary diving stop of a hard grounder off the bat of Cub slugger Augie Galan by third baseman Cookie Lavagetto. With two out in the bottom of the ninth, the tying run on second, and pitcher Tot Presnell visibly tiring, Galan speared a hard shot down the third base line, which looked like sure extra bases until Cookie threw himself forward and, with fingers barely off the ground, intercepted the ball, and -- while still on the ground -- fired the ball *underhand* across the diamond to a desperately stretching Dolph Camilli to get the out. Lavagetto called the play the greatest of his career, and Tommy Holmes says he's never seen a better one. Final score in the first game, 3-2, and a 2-1 victory for Brooklyn in the nightcap.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(5).jpg

Pee Wee Reese is conscious and responsive at Illinois Masonic Hospital as he recovers from a severe concussion after taking a Jake Mooty fastball to the head on Saturday. Reese is yet another victim of the poor hitting background at Wrigley Field, where the ball comes out of a stark background of white-shirted spectators in center field. Nothing has been done about this problem despite fifteen years of complaints from all across the National League, and it doesn't appear that Reese's serious injury will make any difference to the Cubs. Reese says he lost sight of the ball, and doctors say his instinctive act of turning his head away from the pitch probably saved his life.

Whit Wyatt left the first game of yesterday's doubleheader early, with a "kink in his throwing arm." And Van Mungo, who earned the win in that game, says he felt something go in his shoulder while throwing in the ninth. There is no word yet on the severity of either injury.

The Homestead Grays put a stop to the Bushwicks' eleven game winning streak, with the powerful Negro National Leaguers sweeping yesterday's doubleheader at Dexter Park by scores of 7-6 and 2-1.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(6).jpg
(So many of George's problems could be solved by moving to a faraway city away from all his relatives.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(7).jpg
("Now you take this fellow John Tecum, for example...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(8).jpg
(Anyone see "The Black Legion" last night on TCM? Because I'm pretty sure Norman Marsh saw it in 1937.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_.jpg
"Newspapers are the first draft of history."

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(1).jpg

That didn't take long. And it's just the beginning.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(2).jpg
Talk to Mary Worth. Probably Maw Green knows where to find her.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(3).jpg

Jerome is now approximately eighteen inches tall. How much longer before his cigar is bigger than he is?

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(4).jpg

I would totally go for a spin-off strip chronicling Blaze's adventures as a globe-trotting master of disguise. Get on the ball, Caniff.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(5).jpg
What, Andy Gump jump at conclusions? Now there's a first.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(6).jpg
Good thing you didn't buy that car, because right about now would be when the clutch would go.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(7).jpg

(In one of his autobiographies, George Burns wrote about the time he felt guilty for cheating on Gracie and bought her a new fur coat to salve his conscience. And then a couple years went by and he overheard Gracie telling a friend "I wish George would have another affair, I could use a new coat.")

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(8).jpg

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(2).jpg
(Condsidering that pie sells for a nickel a slice at the Automat, 31 cents for a whole pie is a very very good deal. Got any of that custard?)...

"This is a new customer sale." Are there any other kind of sales at H&H?

"Wine cake squares" I'm intrigued - any idea what they are?

And an amen to the custard request.

... View attachment 239492
(+3 for Cagney, Sheridan, and O'Brien. -1 for Cagney's hokey moustache that makes him look like Johnny Arthur.)...

For those looking for a 1940 experience, TCM is playing "Torrid Zone" on 6/10 at 3:30am (ET) - my DVR is already set.

Cagney left / Arthur right
torrid-zone-1940-3.jpg euytrfgg.jpg

Cagney (from a recently found quote): "Why I'd knock that pipsqueak Arthur down with one hand tied behind my back. I think I look pretty darn good with a mustache, better than that "Gone With the Wind" guy.

[Editorial comment: That mustache looks ridiculous on Cagney.]

... View attachment 239493
("George!" says Mrs. Lichty, as she looks over today's cartoon. "What's this supposed to mean?" "Nothing dear," says Mr. Lichty, as he bends low over his drawing board.)...

...With tempers running high over the beaning of Pee Wee Reese, the Dodgers bore down and swept the Cubs in a twinbill in Chicago, winning the first game thanks to an extraordinary diving stop of a hard grounder off the bat of Cub slugger Augie Galan by third baseman Cookie Lavagetto. With two out in the bottom of the ninth, the tying run on second, and pitcher Tot Presnell visibly tiring, Galan speared a hard shot down the third base line, which looked like sure extra bases until Cookie threw himself forward and, with fingers barely off the ground, intercepted the ball, and -- while still on the ground -- fired the ball *underhand* across the diamond to a desperately stretching Dolph Camilli to get the out. Lavagetto called the play the greatest of his career, and Tommy Holmes says he's never seen a better one. Final score in the first game, 3-2, and a 2-1 victory for Brooklyn in the nightcap....)

Awesome description of the play. Before television and replay, and now highlight clips everywhere, descriptions like that brought the excitement and skills of the game to those who weren't there. I watch highlights sometimes like everyone else, but I get that we lost something by having the ability to see highlights so easily. Same with TV vs radio broadcasts of baseball games.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(6).jpg (So many of George's problems could be solved by moving to a faraway city away from all his relatives.)...

True, he also could solve many of his problems by not being a complete and total idiot.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(7).jpg ("Now you take this fellow John Tecum, for example...")...

Great minds and all...as I was reading this, I was thinking Mary must be reading "Little Orphan Annie."

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(8).jpg (Anyone see "The Black Legion" last night on TCM? Because I'm pretty sure Norman Marsh saw it in 1937.)

Recorded it - was very surprised I hadn't seen it before. Did you watch it or had you seen it before?

... Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(2).jpg Talk to Mary Worth. Probably Maw Green knows where to find her....

When did he get all this evidence on Bolo - did we know he had that? Also, don't kid yourself John, Bolo isn't going to take Nick out for you so that you can then take Bolo out and clean the entire town up - ain't gonna happen that way Mr. Amateur Machiavelli.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(6).jpg Good thing you didn't buy that car, because right about now would be when the clutch would go....

Everything else has been a waste of money, but invest in your teeth young man, that will pay dividends later in life.

... Daily_News_Mon__Jun_3__1940_(8).jpg
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Now don't go all soft on me, let's not forget who Senga is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I thought I'd never seen "The Black Legion," but when I flipped across it, in the scene where Bogart is being sworn in as a member I instantly recognized what it was, and could almost quote the dialogue. I must've seen in long ago and forgotten it until that moment.

It's a pretty choice piece of late thirties Warner agitprop, even if they did have to blunt some of it to get a release in the South. Note that the actual KKK crest is used on the Legion's uniforms -- and that it closely resembles the "X" logo on the Black Hoods. The Klan tried to sue Warners for the use of their trademark, but got thrown out of court.

Wine cake is a very dense, very sweet cake made with wine, not unlike fruitcake without the fruit. We never had it in my family, good grape-juice Methodists that we were, but I saw it served by other kids' grandmothers, and thought it was weird.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Lavagetto is primarily remembered only as the guy who broke up Bevens' no-hitter in the 1947 World Series, because he might have been the best third baseman in the National League just before the war. (Sorry Stan Hack fans, Cookie was better.) He also had his personal rooting section at Ebbets Field, headed by a restaurant operator named Jack Pierce, who would come to the game with a box of balloons and a tank of helium -- he actually bought a seat for the helium tank -- and would send up a barrage of balloons while screaming COOOOOOOOOOOKIE! every time his hero came to bat. Lavagetto was, to say the least, bemused by this.

Some people should never have a moustache. Cagney is one. Dick Powell, whose lip adornment made him look like Lum from "Lum and Abner," is another.

I thought I'd never seen "The Black Legion," but when I flipped across it, in the scene where Bogart is being sworn in as a member I instantly recognized what it was, and could almost quote the dialogue. I must've seen in long ago and forgotten it until that moment.

It's a pretty choice piece of late thirties Warner agitprop, even if they did have to blunt some of it to get a release in the South. Note that the actual KKK crest is used on the Legion's uniforms -- and that it closely resembles the "X" logo on the Black Hoods. The Klan tried to sue Warners for the use of their trademark, but got thrown out of court.....

Thank you, good color. It's in the DVR queue.

...Wine cake is a very dense, very sweet cake made with wine, not unlike fruitcake without the fruit. We never had it in my family, good grape-juice Methodists that we were, but I saw it served by other kids' grandmothers, and thought it was weird.....

Did not know the name, but I have seen fruitcake without the fruit, so I get it. Seems like an odd thing for H&H to have in June. We ate fruitcake (with and without booze in it) growing up, so it wasn't until I got out of my house that I learned how controversial fruitcake is.

...It's unfortunate that Mr. Lavagetto is primarily remembered only as the guy who broke up Bevens' no-hitter in the 1947 World Series, because he might have been the best third baseman in the National League just before the war. (Sorry Stan Hack fans, Cookie was better.) He also had his personal rooting section at Ebbets Field, headed by a restaurant operator named Jack Pierce, who would come to the game with a box of balloons and a tank of helium -- he actually bought a seat for the helium tank -- and would send up a barrage of balloons while screaming COOOOOOOOOOOKIE! every time his hero came to bat. Lavagetto was, to say the least, bemused by this....

Love that he bought a seat for his helium tank. That's passion.

....Some people should never have a moustache. Cagney is one. Dick Powell, whose lip adornment made him look like Lum from "Lum and Abner," is another.

Agree on the Powell-mustache call. Separately, I marvel at the career transition Powell made from teen-idol singer/actor in the '30s to hardcore film-noir guy in the '40s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Britain will fight on from its "empire across the seas, armed and guarded by the British fleet, until the New World comes to our rescue" if the British Isles themselves should fall to a Nazi invasion. So stated Prime Minister Winston Churchill in remarks made today before the House of Commons, a statement widely interpreted as meaning that the seat of the British Empire would be based in Canada if England should be overrun. "We shall fight in France," the Prime Minister declared. "We shall fight on the seas and oceans. We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender..."

The German High Command today announced that Dunkirk has fallen, and with its capture the Nazis now claim complete mastery of the complete French and Belgian channel coast as far south as the Somme River. The port, final evacuation point for Allied troops escaping the Nazi trap at Flanders, was taken with the capture of more than 40,000 French, British, and Belgian soldiers, and "a vast amount of booty."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_.jpg

As Paris digs out from yesterday's German air raid, and as German bombs fell today on Le Havre, Allied planes made a revenge strike today on the suburbs of Munich, killing eight persons in a raid on the town of Allach. Primary target of the raid was the Bavarian Motor Works factory on the outskirts of Munich, with at least one bomb known to have hit the plant.

A fifteen-year-old Canarsie schoolgirl was crushed to death today between two Independent Subway trains in the first transit fatality to occur since unification. Frances Landecino of 742 E. 86th Street was on her way to classes at Girls' Commercial High School when she dropped her purse while entering the train at the Rockaway Avenue station. She stooped to pick it up just before the doors closed, and the train started to move, lurching onto another track. Miss Landecino fell out of the train, was thrown between that train and one on the other track, and was cut in two when the cars passed over her body.

A fourteen-year-old student at Public School No. 73, Rockaway Avenue at McDougal Street threatened to leap from his death today from a third-story window. Salvatore Vuola of 667 Halsey Street jumped up from his chair around 11:30 this morning declaring "I don't like this school!," and climbed thru the window out onto the building ledge. "I'm going to jump!" he shouted, but was talked off the ledge by the school principal, and taken to Bellevue Hospital for observation. School authorities said the boy had recently transferred to the school from P. S. 26 in Bushwick, and had previously been "in the hospital."

The Belgian Pavilion reopened today at the World's Fair, with a bust of King Leopold conspicuous by its absence, even as the future of the Italian Pavilion is in doubt. Fair officials say a clause in Italy's contract calling for the shuttering of the pavilion "if foreign affairs warrant it" and Premier Mussolini's recent cancellation of the planned Rome World's Fair of 1942 are combining to raise concerns about the Italian Pavilion's future. Fair officials also stated they were very pleased with attendance over the Memorial Day weekend, which drew more than 888,000 paying customers thru the gates.

More creative ways to serve beer, courtesy of Mrs. Mildred Blake, chief home economist of the F&M Schaefer Brewing Company --

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(1).jpg

When Fred Allen signs off for the summer, half of his Wednesday night time period on NBC will be taken over by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, who rose from burlesque obscurity to national popularity in the Spring of 1938 on the Kate Smith Hour. Their new program, their first starring shot on the air, begins for Allen's former sponsor on July 3rd. Allen himself will return to the air next fall over CBS in a new program for an oil company sponsor.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(2).jpg

(Women in planes, women in prison. Hope the cartoon is good.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(3).jpg

("Maybe you oughta take up a sport with more exercise in it. Looka that gut. Have you thought about rasslin'?")

The Rockaway Avenue station, where what is left of the Fulton Street Elevated Line connects to the Independent Subway, was the site of the worst pedestrian traffic jam in recent memory this morning, as an estimated 15,000 men and women descended the two flights of stairs from the elevated structure to the lower platforms, to board trains for Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan. C. D. Baker, general superindentant of the Independent System says the jamming problem resulting from discontinuation of the main line of the Fulton Street L will go away in a year or so, once the Fulton Street subway line extends all the way to Woodhaven.

The Dodgers headed to St. Louis last night after taking three games out of four from the Cubs, capped by a 3-2 win yesterday marked by Dolph Camilli's fifth home run of the season. Tensions mounted in the bottom of the ninth as the Cubs put two on, but Hugh Casey bore down and whizzed a fastball past Glenn Russell for a game-ending strikeout.

One Dodger who won't make the jump to St. Louis is Pee Wee Reese, who remains at Illinois Masonic Hospital with a severe concussion after being hit by Cub pitcher Jake Mooty on Saturday. Reese is expected to miss the entire series with the Cardinals, but it is hoped he can rejoin the club next week in Cincinnati.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(4).jpg

Tonight marks the first night game of the season at Sportsman's Park, as the Dodgers will send Vito Tamulis to the mound against the Cardinals and Lon Warnecke. Manager Leo Durocher, who keeps his off-season home in St. Louis, plans to host a party for the team after tonight's game. Tomorrow will be an off-day, allowing the Flock to recover both from the game and the party.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(5).jpg
(And how better to end this story than with a hell-for-leather slapstick car chase?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(6).jpg
(Everything about Mr. Screed, from his name, to his necktie, to his haircut tell me not to trust him. Think about it, John.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(7).jpg
(That's the way, Dan. The subtle approach.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_.jpg
"Working too hard and going at a terrific rate." I bet he was.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(1).jpg

There has to be a middle ground between the New Yorker attitude of the previous ad campaign and the Hobo News attitude of the current one.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(2).jpg

"Individual?" I've always thought of a beef pie as perfect demonstration of collective effort -- the meat, the gravy, the vegetables, and the crust all working together in harmony toward a common goal.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(3).jpg
Somehow I don't think it'll be quite that easy.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(4).jpg
The art looks a bit off today. Either Mr. Gould has a new assistant who's still learning the ropes, or Mr. Gould has finally been taken away for observation.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(5).jpg
Yeah, I mean, compared to some of the people you have to deal with, Blaze is a choirboy.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(6).jpg

"Say, Mr. Clock! Have you ever been to the Automat? It's great!"

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(7).jpg
Not buying it. If Baby has psychic powers, she should have seen all this coming. C'mon, Gus, let's be consistent here.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(8).jpg
Come now, Willie, you can speak plainer than that.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(9).jpg
Back home in Covina, all the trees are dying -- because the sap is in New York.

Britain will fight on from its "empire across the seas, armed and guarded by the British fleet, until the New World comes to our rescue" if the British Isles themselves should fall to a Nazi invasion. So stated Prime Minister Winston Churchill in remarks made today before the House of Commons, a statement widely interpreted as meaning that the seat of the British Empire would be based in Canada if England should be overrun. "We shall fight in France," the Prime Minister declared. "We shall fight on the seas and oceans. We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender..."...

I remember studying that speech in school. Following events in this Day-By-Day thread somehow makes it come alive again as you have more of a feeling for its impact/meaning in its time period and the emotions it must have stirred. It's hard to get that angle - the perspective on how the public, at that time, experienced that speech - reading about it in a WWII history book.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(3).jpg
("Maybe you oughta take up a sport with more exercise in it. Looka that gut. Have you thought about rasslin'?")...

I'm not a PC guy at all, but I know fat-shaming 1940's style when I see it. :)

And it does make you wonder exactly what kinda tournaments is this guy entering that he's wining all these trophies?

...The Rockaway Avenue station, where what is left of the Fulton Street Elevated Line connects to the Independent Subway, was the site of the worst pedestrian traffic jam in recent memory this morning, as an estimated 15,000 men and women descended the two flights of stairs from the elevated structure to the lower platforms, to board trains for Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan. C. D. Baker, general superindentant of the Independent System says the jamming problem resulting from discontinuation of the main line of the Fulton Street L will go away in a year or so, once the Fulton Street subway line extends all the way to Woodhaven....

Good to know a solution is only "a year or so" away.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(6).jpg (Everything about Mr. Screed, from his name, to his necktie, to his haircut tell me not to trust him. Think about it, John.)...

Agreed - the guy reads slimy. Also, if this is by-the-numbers story telling, then something in Leona's past will be the issue as it will immediately test the newlyweds.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(7).jpg (That's the way, Dan. The subtle approach.)

I'm thinking more than one armored truck might be nice. I've always respected Colin Powell's overwhelming-decisive-force approach.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_.jpg "Working too hard and going at a terrific rate." I bet he was.....

Now Lizzie, is that nice? :)

A lot going on, on this page today: a cheatin' movie mogul, wife refusing alimony while her parents want it, Labor tossin' Reds out, sadly, ugly domestic violence and more. Phew.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(1).jpg
There has to be a middle ground between the New Yorker attitude of the previous ad campaign and the Hobo News attitude of the current one......

That must have been one heck of an internal fight at Child's that led to it changing marketing direction so abruptly. I'd bet somebody (or bodies) lost a job in that coup.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(3).jpg Somehow I don't think it'll be quite that easy.....

Also, Annie's too street smart, mature and aware for all that kid stuff anyway and, honestly, she'd get a better education in life staying with Nick. She's already smarter than John. Heck, in ten years or less, she could take over for Nick. Some kids weren't built for normal or long childhoods.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(4).jpg The art looks a bit off today. Either Mr. Gould has a new assistant who's still learning the ropes, or Mr. Gould has finally been taken away for observation....

Yes, the artwork is a mess today. Also, it's not as if, at the end of the summer, little "Joe Atom" can slip back into the regular population. He's got to face up to the fact that he'll have to hide out the rest of his life.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(6).jpg
"Say, Mr. Clock! Have you ever been to the Automat? It's great!"....

Challenge, it's pretty much accepted that, if they are able to, parents of friends treat kids just starting out in life. Nina's father would pay for that dinner. A forty-five year old man doesn't show up in town and have dinner with his daughter's twenty-year-old friend and expect the kid to pay or even let him if he tries.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(7).jpg Not buying it. If Baby has psychic powers, she should have seen all this coming. C'mon, Gus, let's be consistent here.....

Agreed, it's not anywhere near as bad as the Tootsie storyline, but Gus needs to rein it in right now.

...[ Daily_News_Tue__Jun_4__1940_(9).jpg Back home in Covina, all the trees are dying -- because the sap is in New York.

Of all the comics we're following, my number one wish is that Harold doesn't marry Senga. Leave the money, send her more, whatever - get out of there. Money is cheap compared to what a bad marriage early in life can cost in so many ways.

The long johns hanging on the clothesline is a nice touch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can't believe nobody suggested that maybe the big reason for that pileup at the Rockaway Ave. station was because A KID FELL OUT OF A TRAIN AND GOT CUT IN HALF ON THE TRACKS. I mean, seriously. Mr. Baker needs to get out more.

It's fascinating that the lead on that Churchill story wasn't the usual "pull quote" from that speech -- "we will fight on the beaches, etc., we will never surrender" -- but rather, the suggestion that the British would form a government-in-exile in Canada. That was a big worry for the isolationist bloc -- Lindbergh specifically "warned" Britain not to do that in one of his radio speeches, and to see it highlighted like this really brings home where the American mindset was in June 1940.

Andy Gump better not post that hat on the Fedora Lounge, because he'll get roasted.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Germany is throwing between 600,000 and 700,000 against the French lines along the Somme and Aisne from the coast to the Maginot Line, but authoritative French sources say the lines are holding except at "a couple of unimportant spots." The Associated Press reports that between the two sides, an estimated 2,000,000 men are presently in combat. Premier Paul Reynaud states that developments on the fighting front create "hope for a favorable issue," and that the initial reports of action were "good."

Bullet-riddled skiffs carrying the last evacuees from the Dunkirk coast arrived on English shores today after twenty-four hours adrift in choppy Channel waters, with stories of thousands left behind on the beaches. A French artillery captain, believed to be one of the last of the city's defenders to escape, stated that his group, totaling about sixty-eight men, commandeered any boats they could find still afloat to make their retreat against the German onslaught as Nazi troops sprayed the beaches with machine-gun fire.

A prominent Brooklyn clubman described by Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen as the "custodian of the bribery fund" has been summoned for another round of questioning in connection with the borough's bid-rigging scandal. Fifty-year-old John P. Winters of 633 2nd Street has been ordered to appear for a second time before the Amen grand jury, after having testified for the first time earlier this year about his connection to the rigging of more than $5,000,000 in bids for public paving contracts. Amen states that Winters "has not told all he knows" about a $250,000 cash fund set aside by a cartel of Brooklyn paving companies for the bribing of public officials.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_.jpg

"It's Too Hot To Think Up A Funny Weather Head!" Temperatures in Brooklyn are surging once again into the mid-80s today, and coming rains will likely not break the hot spell that's held the borough in its grasp this week. Last night's low temperature never dropped below 72 degrees, and although temperatures may moderate somewhat with the rains, the heavy humidity is expected to continue.

The International Ladies Garment Workers' Union will return to the American Federation of Labor, following promises by AF of L president William Green to revise Federation rules concerning the suspension of charters, and to eliminate a one-cent-per-member-per-month levy intended to fight the Congress of Industrial Organizations. The ILGWU was one of the original unions to withdraw from the AF of L to form the CIO, but subsequently withdrew form that organization as well to operate as an independent union until the two great labor bodies resolved their differences.

The U. S. Treasury Department has agreed to accept an $8,000,000 payment to settle tax evasion charges against publisher Moses L. Annenberg. The settlement will cover taxes owed by Anneberg for 1923 thru 1938, but does not cover penalties, which will be determined at a later date. Annenberg made his fortune as publisher of the Daily Racing Form, and moved into daily newspaper publishing when he purchased the Philadelphia Inquirer in 1936.

The Soviet Union has stated, according to reports from London, that "its interests in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean" parallel those of the Allies, but that Russia remains determined to remain neutral in the European War. British sources have expressed hopes that Russia's Mediterranean interests might have a deterrent effect on any plan by Italy to enter the war. A Soviet source says that Russia "has no intention of being thrust onto one side or the other in the war," but also states that "the USSR is keeping alert against any encroachment of its interests by one Power or another."

The United States has banned all contact with foreign stations by amateur radio operators. The Federal Communications Commission today issued a ruling that the 55,000 licensed amateurs within the US must confine their communications to domestic stations until further notice.

The next trial connected to the Brooklyn Murder For Hire gang will open in the upstate town of Monticello next week, when Hollywood actor Irving "Big Gangi" Cohen goes on trial for his life in connection with the ice-pick murder of taxicab driver Walter Sage, whose hacked-up body, chained to a slot machine, was fished out of Swan Lake in June 1937. Cohen subsequently made his way to California, where he began an acting career under the name of Jack Gordon, and it was his appearance last year in the film "Golden Boy" that brought him to the attention of investigators in the East.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(1).jpg
("I wisht we had a garden," muses Sally. And Joe, who's sitting on the fire escape in his undershirt to beat the heat, yells in thru the window "I wisht I had a hose.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(2).jpg

("Come On In! It's KOOL Inside!")

At the AIR CONDITIONED Patio, it's Tyrone Power and Dorothy Lamour in "Johnny Apollo," with Linda Darnell in "Star Dust."

The Eagle Editorialist reflects on Mr. Churchill's recent speech, noting that his implication is that if Britain falls, America will have to come to the rescue. "Whether that belief is well founded depends on the further crystallization of American opinion," the E. E. stresses. "In the meantime, Mr. Churchill's speech brings home to us again, and with increasing sharpness, the need to map out which course we wish to follow. Thought now may save us panic if and when the hour of decision comes."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(3).jpg

(Kids Today.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(4).jpg

("PETEY!!!!")

Pete Coscarart is back in the lineup, and how -- as he paced the Brooklyn attack as the Dodgers romped to a 10-1 night-game victory over the Cardinals at St. Louis. Petey went two-for-four with four runs batted in and a first-inning homer along with his usual slick performance in the field. Vito Tamulis gave up eleven hits in earning his third win against no defeats, but the Dodger defense kept Cardinal scoring to a single run in the fifth. The Flock slammed Mort Cooper out of the box with a five-run first, and touched Max Lanier for two additional runs in the fifth. Clyde Shoun gave up the final three.

_Wed__Jun_5__1940_.jpg

The Dodgers agree that Sportsman's Park has the best lighting of any of the floodlit fields on the National League, but that doesn't mean Cardinal owner Sam Breadon wants to waste the wattage. The park lights are turned off after batting practice, and stay out until game time in order to keep the bills down.

Dizzy Dean is back where it all started, having been optioned to Tulsa of the Texas League after the Cubs ran out of patience with his sore arm and his surly attitude. Dean could call it quits and go home -- he's been careful with his money -- but he is determined to make his way back to the majors, and will start for the Oilers tomorrow night against the Fort Worth Cats.

Byron Nelson and Jimmy Demoret are the bettors' favorites to win the USGA National Open, as the nation's top golfers gather this week at the Canterbury Golf Club in Cleveland. Oddsmakers give Nelson and Demoret each an 8-1 chance to walk away with the title, with Sam Snead quoted at 10-1, and Ben Hogan and Craig Wood quoted at 12-1.

The Board of Transportation is denying that there's a jamming problem at the Rockaway Avenue Station following termination of service on the Fulton Street L, and has announced that it will implement a speeded-up schedule to ease crowding. The headway of all trains on the line will be decreased from five minutes to four, and the length of trains will be increased on selected runs. Board officials deny that crowding at the station was in any way a factor in the accident yesterday that caused the death of 14-year-old Canarsie schoolgirl Frances Landiscino. "It could have happened at any time," a spokesman said.

Fred Allen's last three programs of the current season will originate from Hollywood, where the Yankee comedian will be filming "Love Thy Neighbor," his "feud" picture with Jack Benny, at Paramount. Wynn Murray, with obligations at the World's Fair, will not go west with the program, and her place as featured vocalist will be taken by California canary Betty Jane Rhodes.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(5).jpg
(Jo and George have been married over thirty years, and yet this is the first time the sentence "Why did you paint the elephant?" has ever passed her lips. It's surprises that keep a marriage fresh.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(6).jpg

("Well, I did marry a broke heiress who used to dance half-dressed in a gangster nightclub, but who'd care about that? And I live with these two old people who everybody thinks are married but really aren't, but that doesn't amount to anything..")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(7).jpg
(What, no tear gas?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_.jpg
You can tell we're dealing with second-tier hoods now because all their nicknames are lame.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(1).jpg

They don't go in for free-thinkers and non-conformists in Tulsa. Boy, are they gonna love Dizzy Dean.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(2).jpg
You oughta listen to the dog more often, John.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(3).jpg
Hell hath no fury.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(4).jpg
Hmph, go to Schrafft's, blow your money, whatta I care?

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(5).jpg
Who needs Blue Cross when you've got Uncle Bim?

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(6).jpg
Nice to see you're feeling better, Raven.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(7).jpg
RUN DON'T WALK

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(8).jpg

And once again Mr. Moonshine Mullins is the fashion plate of the funnies in his distinctive navy-blue knit spread-collar polo shirt and his flannel ice cream slacks. But he's not going with the wedgies today, he's not in California yet.

The United States has banned all contact with foreign stations by amateur radio operators. The Federal Communications Commission today issued a ruling that the 55,000 licensed amateurs within the US must confine their communications to domestic stations until further notice....

Makes sense, but can't imagine it was easy to enforce.

... View attachment 239844 ("I wisht we had a garden," muses Sally. And Joe, who's sitting on the fire escape in his undershirt to beat the heat, yells in thru the window "I wisht I had a hose.")...

I assume their apartment is small, but it still probably has a living room; however, Joe seems to park himself either in the kitchen with his feet propped up on the oven door in cold weather or out on the fire escape in hot weather. Sally, must enjoy the living room as an oasis from Joe.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(2).jpg
("Come On In! It's KOOL Inside!")...

Both are good harmless movies and, again, an example of (I guess) counter programing within a double bill - a musical and a society sleuth movie. One for Sally and one for Joe; athough, "The Saint" might be too highfalutin* for Joe.

* A word that is disappearing.

...Pete Coscarart is back in the lineup, and how -- as he paced the Brooklyn attack as the Dodgers romped to a 10-1 night-game victory over the Cardinals at St. Louis. Petey went two-for-four with four runs batted in and a first-inning homer along with his usual slick performance in the field. Vito Tamulis gave up eleven hits in earning his third win against no defeats, but the Dodger defense kept Cardinal scoring to a single run in the fifth. The Flock slammed Mort Cooper out of the box with a five-run first, and touched Max Lanier for two additional runs in the fifth. Clyde Shoun gave up the final three....

Those eleven hits had to be strategically scattered to result in only one run.

....The Board of Transportation is denying that there's a jamming problem at the Rockaway Avenue Station following termination of service on the Fulton Street L, and has announced that it will implement a speeded-up schedule to ease crowding. The headway of all trains on the line will be decreased from five minutes to four, and the length of trains will be increased on selected runs. Board officials deny that crowding at the station was in any way a factor in the accident yesterday that caused the death of 14-year-old Canarsie schoolgirl Frances Landiscino. "It could have happened at any time," a spokesman said...

Lizzie, based on your call yesterday, it looks as if the BOT has flipped cause and effect in its analysis of the accident and station crowding.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(6).jpg
("Well, I did marry a broke heiress who used to dance half-dressed in a gangster nightclub, but who'd care about that? And I live with these two old people who everybody thinks are married but really aren't, but that doesn't amount to anything..")...

I noted yesterday that I think it will be about Leona, but good point, the entire Worth "entourage" has some baggage politically.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(7).jpg (What, no tear gas?)

Dan likes to "plan" afterwards: smash through the gate, attack and we'll see what happens.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_.jpg You can tell we're dealing with second-tier hoods now because all their nicknames are lame.....

Just noting that if Miss Marion Lee Collins did not have the baby with Mr. Hanrihan nor with her ex-husband, then there must have been a third man in Miss Collins, um, in her life. Just sayin', busy girl.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(2).jpg You oughta listen to the dog more often, John.....

Annie should grab Sandy (the smartest Tecum), move out and let Nick raise her. Society needs its fastest racehorses trained by the best. Nice enough people those Tecums, but Annie's already outgrown them.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(4).jpg Hmph, go to Schrafft's, blow your money, whatta I care?...

As per yesterday, the older generation pays - who's visiting whom doesn't matter - unless there are extenuating circumstances. Also, nice that Nina got in a sharp elbow by proxy - well done kid. N.B., looks like Mr. Clock there is sporting an early Covid-19 beard.

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(5).jpg Who needs Blue Cross when you've got Uncle Bim?...

I'll gladly swap out my Obamacare coverage for Uncle-Bim-care any day. Quite the poetic speech in panel two.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_5__1940_(7)-2.jpg RUN DON'T WALK....

First, I will avoid all obvious and crass puns (did that once already today). Second, the usual hook is "I'm pregnant," but since that won't be the case here, I am curious about her ace in the hole. And, yes, run, run hard, run fast, forget the money - just run!

And what - Childs and H&H decided to give it a rest today? I see an opportunity for Schrafft's to sneak in an ad Lizzie.
brooklyn-architecture-downtown-1-smith-386-fulton-street-schraffts-1925.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
386 Fulton Street is the far corner of this particularly undistinguished block. You can see the Bond Clothes store at the corner of Fulton and Jay down a bit further. Smith Street turns into Jay Street at that intersection. Why? "Only the dead know Brooklyn."

nynyma_rec0040_3_00154_0019.jpg

I'm disappointed there's no closer shot of the Schrafft's storefront. But as you can see it's an ugly rainy afternoon, and this photographer HAS ABOUT HAD IT, y'heahwhatI'msayin'?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
French Premier Paul Reynaud announced today that "hundreds and hundreds" of German tanks have been destroyed since the Germans yesterday launched their drive toward Paris. The Premier's statement comes as those tanks pushed forward on the Somme front today, under constant fire from French 75s and and anti-tank guns in a battle seven miles in depth. The Germans, meanwhile, claim to have "gained ground everywhere" as they continue their sweep toward the southwest.

Germany today unleashed its heaviest bombing attack on England since the start of the war, with high explosives and incendiary bombs falling over a 270-mile stretch of the English coastline in an apparent search for British aerodromes. Meanwhile, RAF planes made their own raids on German communications positions along the Somme front in new efforts to aid their French allies in halting the German push toward Paris.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_.jpg

A drama of thwarted love that began six months ago in Washington ended today with a pistol shot in a two-room-and-kitchenette apartment on Brooklyn Heights, and the wounding of a 21-year-old woman. Twenty-six-year-old Cecil Mayo of Washington D. C. is being held by police for the shooting of Miss Lorabelle Andrews of Trenton, North Carolina, who was living in the apartment at 131 Joralemon Street with Mayo's wife, twenty-one-year-old Joan Vest of Roanoke, Virginia. As police reconstructed the story, Miss Vest left Mayo in February of this year, and moved to Brooklyn to live with her friend, Miss Andrews, resuming the use of her maiden name at that time. Mayo, by profession a commercial artist, traced her movements and located her at the apartment yesterday, returning for a second visit with gun in hand this morning. Mayo blamed the Andrews girl for "keeping his wife from him" and shot her twice with his 32-caliber revolver. Mayo then aimed the gun at his wife and forced her to accompany him to the street. Once on the sidewalk, Miss Vest broke free and fled in the direction of Clinton Street, while Mayo turned and ran in the opposite direction. He was seen by two detectives while passing the intersection of Hicks and Remsen Street, with his gun clearly visible. The detectives pounced upon him and took him to Police Headquarters where he was questioned and subsequently booked for felonious assault and for violation of the Sullivan Law. Miss Andrews, meanwhile, had been taken to Long Island College Hospital, where she is in serious condition. Police questioned Miss Andrews at her bedside, and she positively identified Mayo as her assailant. Mayo insisted under interrogation that the gun went off accidentally.

The alleged ringleader in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case today claimed on the witness stand that an attempt was made to induce him into giving a statement that would directly implicate Father Charles E. Coughlin, radio priest of Royal Oak, Michigan, in the activities of the Brooklyn-based Front group. William Gerald Bishop, who claims not to be a member of the Christian Front, testified that he was approached while in custody by Albert N. Chapereau, jewel smuggler held in connection with last year's case involving radio comedians Jack Benny and George Burns, and told that since defendant John F. Cassidy had "ratted" on him, Bishop "ought to do something for himself" by giving the FBI information concerning Father Coughlin. Bishop stated that Chapereau indicated that by doing so, he could secure his release, but the defendant insisted that he had "never met Coughlin, and there was no Coughlin money in the Christian Front."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(1).jpg

(Do dignified old clubmen really stand around in locker rooms in their sleek, streamlined underwear smoking pipes? And why are these undergarments called "Scandals?" Is there something we don't know that's going on here?)

If you want to see the good old Coney Island that Mom and Dad always talk about, stop by the Brooklyn Museum this week for an exhibition of historic photographs and costumes from the Island's glory days. You'll see Luna Park as it used to be when Thompson and Dundy reigned supreme, and George C. Tilyou's Pavilion of Fun when it was brand new, and of course the long-lost, never-forgotten Dreamland, gone since that tragic fire of May 1911. Several bushels of genuine Coney Island sand, provided by the Department of Parks, provide an appropriate setting for the exhibition, which runs thru September 15th.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(2).jpg
(You know what would be fun? If Joan Crawford made a movie with Bob Burns.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(3).jpg

("We can't afford both a stadium and a college. We start tearing down the college tomorrow.")

The Dodgers were off yesterday recovering from Tuesday's night game in St. Louis, and the talk at Sportsman's Park today is not about the final game of the Cardinal series, but about Pee Wee Reese, with the latest word from Illinois Masonic Hospital said to be "not reassuring." The twenty-year-old rookie shortstop who was skulled by a Jake Mooty fastball in Chicago last Saturday is reported to be experiencing dizzy spells when he tried to turn over in bed, and it is all but certain that he will be unable to rejoin the club in Cincinnati next week. Aside from the natural concern over his immediate recovery, teammates are said to be whispering about possible long-term effects from the beaning, given the natural tendency of a batter who's been hit in the head to take a more defensive position at the plate.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(4).jpg

Sam Snead blistered the course with a five-under-par score of 67 today to take the leadership in the National Open golf tournament in Cleveland.

Four new lion cubs born over the weekend are brightening the scene at the Prospect Park Zoo. The furry little quadruplets born to Helen the Lioness already have their eyes open are as playful as kittens, but their mother is ferocious and alert to protect them from getting into any trouble. The lion house has been closed to the public since the blessed event, but is expected to reopen today. Meanwhile, the proud papa Rex the Lion is probably the calmest soul in the whole zoo.

The launching of the 35,000 ton battleship North Carolina will be broadcast over CBS direct from the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The broadcast will be heard locally over WABC, Thursday June 13th at 3:45 pm.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(5).jpg
("OK, foist of all, which onenna youse has a license to keep a ellaphant?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(6).jpg
("The six of diamonds? That ain't much of a trump card!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(7).jpg
(You'd think an impressive fortress-compound like this would have a more effective alarm system than some guy running around waving his arms.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_.jpg
I feel bad for poor Uncle Sol. Not only did he get swindled, and died, but all the News has to say about him is to call him a "Sad Old Man." What a legacy. And could Mr. Clark have gotten a look at Sally and Joe?

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(1).jpg

AWRIGHT KEEP MOVIN KEEP MOVIN PLENNY A ROOM PLENNY A ROOM KEEP MOVIN!

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(2).jpg

Ah, Nick's getting the old gang together.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(3).jpg
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(4).jpg
....And he lived happily ever after.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(5).jpg
"The man is obviously delusional. Prepare for a lobotomy."

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(6).jpg

"I was a leader of the anti-Fascist resistance! Or something!"

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(7).jpg
Ahhhh, this old loose end! Years ago, before Emmy married Plushie, she was seriously involved with this Mr. Lummox, who left her at the altar to resume his criminal career. When Cousin Elmo appeared, his resemblance to Mr. Lummox did not go unnoted, but Elmo insists they are not one and the same. BUT ARRRRRRRE THEY????

A drama of thwarted love that began six months ago in Washington ended today with a pistol shot in a two-room-and-kitchenette apartment on Brooklyn Heights, and the wounding of a 21-year-old woman. Twenty-six-year-old Cecil Mayo of Washington D. C. is being held by police for the shooting of Miss Lorabelle Andrews of Trenton, North Carolina, who was living in the apartment at 131 Joralemon Street with Mayo's wife, twenty-one-year-old Joan Vest of Roanoke, Virginia. As police reconstructed the story, Miss Vest left Mayo in February of this year, and moved to Brooklyn to live with her friend, Miss Andrews, resuming the use of her maiden name at that time. Mayo, by profession a commercial artist, traced her movements and located her at the apartment yesterday, returning for a second visit with gun in hand this morning. Mayo blamed the Andrews girl for "keeping his wife from him" and shot her twice with his 32-caliber revolver. Mayo then aimed the gun at his wife and forced her to accompany him to the street. Once on the sidewalk, Miss Vest broke free and fled in the direction of Clinton Street, while Mayo turned and ran in the opposite direction. He was seen by two detectives while passing the intersection of Hicks and Remsen Street, with his gun clearly visible. The detectives pounced upon him and took him to Police Headquarters where he was questioned and subsequently booked for felonious assault and for violation of the Sullivan Law. Miss Andrews, meanwhile, had been taken to Long Island College Hospital, where she is in serious condition. Police questioned Miss Andrews at her bedside, and she positively identified Mayo as her assailant. Mayo insisted under interrogation that the gun went off accidentally....

The detectives who captured Cecil Mayo were as lucky as Tracy was when he stumbled on the armored-car crooks, but IRL, the detectives didn't let the bad guy get away.

...The alleged ringleader in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case today claimed on the witness stand that an attempt was made to induce him into giving a statement that would directly implicate Father Charles E. Coughlin, radio priest of Royal Oak, Michigan, in the activities of the Brooklyn-based Front group. William Gerald Bishop, who claims not to be a member of the Christian Front, testified that he was approached while in custody by Albert N. Chapereau, jewel smuggler held in connection with last year's case involving radio comedians Jack Benny and George Burns, and told that since defendant John F. Cassidy had "ratted" on him, Bishop "ought to do something for himself" by giving the FBI information concerning Father Coughlin. Bishop stated that Chapereau indicated that by doing so, he could secure his release, but the defendant insisted that he had "never met Coughlin, and there was no Coughlin money in the Christian Front."...

Wait, what? How did the Jack Benny/George Burns jewel smuggler get involved with the Christian Front guy - what's the connection? What's going on in that jail?

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(1).jpg
(Do dignified old clubmen really stand around in locker rooms in their sleek, streamlined underwear smoking pipes? And why are these undergarments called "Scandals?" Is there something we don't know that's going on here?)...

That ad is weird bordering on creepy. Best part is still the little guy at the bottom delivering the packages.

...Four new lion cubs born over the weekend are brightening the scene at the Prospect Park Zoo. The furry little quadruplets born to Helen the Lioness already have their eyes open are as playful as kittens, but their mother is ferocious and alert to protect them from getting into any trouble. The lion house has been closed to the public since the blessed event, but is expected to reopen today. Meanwhile, the proud papa Rex the Lion is probably the calmest soul in the whole zoo....

What, no pics of the cute new ones? (I couldn't find any with a quick internet search.)

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(7).jpg (You'd think an impressive fortress-compound like this would have a more effective alarm system than some guy running around waving his arms.)

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_.jpg I feel bad for poor Uncle Sol. Not only did he get swindled, and died, but all the News has to say about him is to call him a "Sad Old Man." What a legacy. And could Mr. Clark have gotten a look at Sally and Joe?...

What a rotten kid to take advantage of Sol.

I pictured Sally as rail thin (no idea why).

I have a feeling Papa Kent is used to bailing out daughter Peggy. Must do wonders for Hubby's self esteem. I give this marriage eighteen months at most.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(1).jpg
AWRIGHT KEEP MOVIN KEEP MOVIN PLENNY A ROOM PLENNY A ROOM KEEP MOVIN!...

No big deal, relief is coming in "a year or so."

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(2).jpg
Ah, Nick's getting the old gang together....

Fun prohibition reference - makes sense that Nick got his start the same way most of the gangsters of that time did.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(3).jpg Hahahahahahahahahaha!...

It's worked so far, but I could see this storyline becoming the next Tootsie if Gould isn't careful.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_6__1940_(6).jpg
"I was a leader of the anti-Fascist resistance! Or something!"...

Be strong young Harold.

Not that we aren't grateful for all your efforts Lizzie, but the crowd is getting restless for today's "Gasoline Alley." How much did dinner with Mr. Clock cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff