Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The German army has reached the vicinity of the Marne, according to informed Berlin sources who also state that Nazi forces have crossed the lower Seine at various points along the Seine Valley, one of the natural paths to Paris. The Marne marks the point where French forces turned back the Germans in September 1914 as they approached the capital city. Two entire French armies have been destroyed in the current offensive, and while German officials are chary of giving concrete details of their strategy, it is evident from the pattern of troop movements that they intend to encircle Paris.

Paris itself is now under full military control as Nazi planes roared thru the smoke-shrouded night leaving a black fog hanging in the sky as the dawn broke. The French Embassy in London reports that German raiders heavily bombed Parisian suburbs overnight, especially to the south, but there are no reports of bombing yet within the city itself. All highways leading into the city are barricaded, and the military governors are implementing plans to defend Paris block-by-block and street-by-street when the Nazi invaders arrive. A great exodus of civilians fleeing the city continued thru the night, with long lines of pedestrians plodding thru the haze carrying bundles of belongings, or pushing small carts.

The British War Office announced today that enemy aircraft have raided Malta, Britian's naval base in the Mediterranean. Further reports indicate that a "big naval battle" is raging between Allied and Italian fleets, but those reports lack official confirmation.

Telegrams supporting President Roosevelt's speech last night calling for full material aid to the Allies are flooding the White House today, a declaration reinforced by the introduction of a bill calling for $50,000,000 in aid to war refugees. In his speech last night broadcast from the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, the President pledged that "we will harness and speed up" the use of the nation's resources and training "equal to the task of any emergency and any defense." Today the House Appropriations Committee proposed an additional sum of $1,706,053,908 for national defense purposes. That appropriation would add 95,000 enlisted soldiers to the Army, provide 3000 new warplanes, and permit the Navy to begin construction on 68 new warships.

Two of the fourteen defendants in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case told an FBI agent they did not believe that acts to overthrow the United States Government would be "unpatriotic." Agent G. Browning Rice, who infiltrated the organization at Bureau direction, testified today that defendants John A. Vierbock and William H. D. Bushnell told him such acts would be justified because the present government "is dominated by Jews and Communists," and that they planned to terrorize members of those groups by bombing Jewish and Communist centers, and then seize power under cover of claiming to "suppres the inspired disorder."

The fifteen-year-old daughter of Brooklyn radio writer Elaine Carrington has had an original play of her own broadcast by NBC. Pat Carrington, a sophomore at Packer Collegiate Institute wrote the play, entitled "Prepare to Die," in two days as a school assignment, and her mother thought it so good, she convinced a family friend to take it to the NBC script department. They were so impressed that they decided to broadcast the piece during the period normally occupied by "Arch Oboler's Plays" last Saturday night. Mrs. Carrington, who writes the serials "Pepper Young's Family" and "When A Girl Marries," says her daughter has been writing as a hobby since she was nine years old, and wants to be a playwright when she finishes her schooling.

Protests at the World's Fair are demanding the immediate closure of the Italian Pavilion in the wake of Italy's entry into the war on the German side. Police details have been increased in the vicinity of the pavilion as Fair officials examine contracts with the Italian Government to determine whether an "escape clause" in the agreement can force the shutdown of the $4,000,000 exhibit. Fair board chairman Harvey D. Gibson says the matter is essentially a "diplomatic situation" at the present time, and that the increased police presence is merely a precaution.

Clifford Evans reports that District Attorney O'Dwyer knew an insanity plea was coming from Harry "Pittsburgh Phil" Strauss when the normally-fastidious hoodlum appeared in court with several days of stubble on his face. Cliff also passes along word that Abe Reles' daughter takes after her old man -- the first thing the baby did following her birth was "squeal."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_.jpg

(Half-dressed Technicolor escapism? Bring it on.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(1).jpg

(Kids Today.)

The "West Indian Negro who once set himself up as 'Emperor of Africa'" and appeared before the League Of Nations as representative of "the black peoples of the world" died yesterday in London. Marcus Garvey founded the United Negro Improvement Association and other groups during his career in the United States, where, from his base in Harlem, he attracted thousands of followers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(2).jpg

("The cut rate tie counters will be crowded." It's like W. E. Hill was a prophet!)

With the trading deadline arriving at midnight Saturday, there is definitely something on the fire on Montague Street, with the Dodgers likely to swing a big deal for an outfielder within the next four days, and quite likely more than one deal. Slugging twenty-three-year-old Max West of the Boston Bees is the most likely candidate to land in Brooklyn, but it will take a major outlay of cash and players to accomplish that deal. The Bees need outfield talent, they need pitching, and they need money -- not necessarily in that order -- and the Dodgers can spare all three. West has not been particularly hot this season -- he's presently batting .231 -- but he has a strong left-handed swing that would work to his advantage in Ebbets Field. And on the pitching front, there are strong rumors that Mr. MacPhail has been talking to the Cardinals about buying thirty-seven-year-old sidearming righthander Curt Davis in a straight cash deal.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(3).jpg

The Dodgers are back on top in the National League by a percentage point after making their belated season bow at Forbes Field with an 8-7 win over the Pirates. Fat Freddie Fitzsimmons, who started the game in the first-base coaching box ended it as the winning pitcher, as the final of four relievers to take the mound after the Pirates chased starter Luke Hamiln in the second inning. The win makes Freddie the winningest pitcher on the staff, with a record of 5-1.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(4).jpg

The Dodgers and Pirates meet tonight under the lights before concluding the series with a day game tomorrow. Then, it's home again to Ebbets Field for another nail-biting series against the Reds. Durocher expects to give collar-ad hurler Newell Kimball a chance to start during that series, along with Hamlin and Tex Carleton.

"Don't ever call me an Italian again," growled Cookie Lavagetto yesterday, as he looked up from a newspaper in deep disgust.

The Homestead Grays, who dominated the Bushwicks in Sunday's doubleheader at Dexter Park will be back in town for a night game tomorrow. The Bushwicks are now 14-3 on the season, with two of those defeats at the hands of the Grays. Last night's scheduled game against the Baltimore Elite Giants was rained out.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(5).jpg
("That mug with the paper," says Joe. "I was right behind him! He stepped on my foot, th' bum! Wait'll I see him again!" "He's prob'ly a lawyer or a undertaker or somebody with money," says Sally. "Or a cop. Don't say nothin' on th' car, wait'll ya get him on the street, an' don't stop walkin' while ya sayin' it.")

Jimmy Durante will be unable to make his scheduled debut as guest panelist on "Information Please" tonight, and will be replaced by stage star Ruth Gordon, who appeared on the panel earlier in the season. Hear the broadcast at 8:30 pm on WJZ.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(6).jpg
("What do you mean my daughter has shot J. Hartford Oakdale? What crust! I don't have any... oh, wait, I forgot...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(7).jpg
("Hey you with the face." Bill gets no respect.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(8).jpg
("Sure, Dan, sure! But be careful where ya point that gun!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_.jpg
"The hand that held the dagger..."

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(1).jpg

Bring a bib.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(2).jpg

"It was a gentler time."

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(3).jpg
I'm so disappointed here that Axel doesn't say "YI!" in quivery lettering. All LOA villians have to say that at least once.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(4).jpg
Oh please please please let that talking bear come along.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(5).jpg
And they're off!

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(6).jpg
Good ol' Bim. A rock of instability.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(7).jpg
The old phrase "stalking horse" doesn't mean this, but it should.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(8).jpg
Say, Willie -- what ever happened to that carnival gig? I'm disappointed we didn't get to see that.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(9).jpg
You left home because you were on the verge of a psychotic break over Lillums getting married, remember? It's starting to feel like that again, isn't it? Can you hear the ticking? Tick tick tick tick? Where's your meat cleaver? Tick tick tick tick tick....

...Two of the fourteen defendants in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy case told an FBI agent they did not believe that acts to overthrow the United States Government would be "unpatriotic." ......

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” -Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride.

...The fifteen-year-old daughter of Brooklyn radio writer Elaine Carrington has had an original play of her own broadcast by NBC. Pat Carrington, a sophomore at Packer Collegiate Institute wrote the play, entitled "Prepare to Die," in two days as a school assignment, and her mother thought it so good, she convinced a family friend to take it to the NBC script department. They were so impressed that they decided to broadcast the piece during the period normally occupied by "Arch Oboler's Plays" last Saturday night. Mrs. Carrington, who writes the serials "Pepper Young's Family" and "When A Girl Marries," says her daughter has been writing as a hobby since she was nine years old, and wants to be a playwright when she finishes her schooling....

Very impressive. If I found the correct Elaine Carrington, she had a very short TV writing career (a few shows), but maybe she did better with radio or magazines or books, I just couldn't find it with a very brief internet search.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_11__1940_.jpg
(Half-dressed Technicolor escapism? Bring it on.)...

Not that I would ever go to a movie just to see a half-dressed pretty woman, but for those who do, this seems like an attempt to recapture some of the success of 1937's Hurricane, which is, sincerely, a very good movie even away from the near nakedness. And to note, Miss Lamour seemed to wear even less clothes in the '37 effort.

Miss Lamour in '37's "Hurricane"
Jon-Hall-and-Dorothy-Lamour-in-MGMs-film-The-Hurricane-1927.jpg

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(1).jpg
Bring a bib......

I'm with ya. I'm a sucka for a gimmicky dessert.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(2).jpg
"It was a gentler time.".....

This news from yesterday would have shocked someone from 1940:

Senate confirms new Air Force chief of staff in historic, unanimous vote
WASHINGTON — Gen. Charles Q. Brown will become the first black service member to lead an American military branch after lawmakers on Tuesday voted to make him the Air Force’s 22nd chief of staff.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/202...ce-chief-of-staff-in-historic-unanimous-vote/

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(5).jpg And they're off!.......

First order of business: Send Raven to a class in metaphors as that one's a hot mess. Then, the second thing: you two, just have sex for God sakes already. Oh, and feel free to switch the order.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(6).jpg Good ol' Bim. A rock of instability......

Sitting next to Raven in metaphor class will be Onkeel Beem.

... Daily_News_Tue__Jun_11__1940_(9).jpg You left home because you were on the verge of a psychotic break over Lillums getting married, remember? It's starting to feel like that again, isn't it? Can you hear the ticking? Tick tick tick tick? Where's your meat cleaver? Tick tick tick tick tick....

Time to move on and try another town - the third times the charm and all that. Just don't marry her.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm pretty sure that Raven bought Pat that ascot just so she could flap it out like that. Well played, Sherman, well played.

It had never occurred to me before that it might be worth seeing Robert Preston with his shirt off, but that ad has caused me to consider that possibility.

Miss Carrington was mostly a radio writer -- she was probably the most important independent writer of radio soaps (that is, not controlled by the Hummert empire) in the business. "Pepper Young" and "When A Girl" were several notches above the usual drippy soap stuff, and neither one ever made the transition to television, unfortunately for Mrs. Carrington's later reputation. But her soaps were still being heard as reruns well into the 1960s. Mason Adams, whom we all know as either Lou Grant's boss or the Smucker's Jelly guy, got his start playing Pepper Young.

Harold needs professional help. He's needed it ever since things blew up with Lillums last year, and he's not gotten it.

I'm pretty sure that Raven bought Pat that ascot just so she could flap it out like that. Well played, Sherman, well played.

It had never occurred to me before that it might be worth seeing Robert Preston with his shirt off, but that ad has caused me to consider that possibility.

Miss Carrington was mostly a radio writer -- she was probably the most important independent writer of radio soaps (that is, not controlled by the Hummert empire) in the business. "Pepper Young" and "When A Girl" were several notches above the usual drippy soap stuff, and neither one ever made the transition to television, unfortunately for Mrs. Carrington's later reputation. But her soaps were still being heard as reruns well into the 1960s. Mason Adams, whom we all know as either Lou Grant's boss or the Smucker's Jelly guy, got his start playing Pepper Young.

Harold needs professional help. He's needed it ever since things blew up with Lillums last year, and he's not gotten it.

Raven's got her talents.

Being a stupid guy, I missed that Robert Preston was even in "Typhoon" as my brain went into vapor lock over Miss Lamour. I think I've seen "Typhoon," but am not sure. As noted, "Hurricane" is way more than a girl-with-only-a-few-clothes-on movie. It's got real actors, a good story and some impressive, for the day, special effects.

Glad Miss Carrington had a career, but surprised she didn't branch out into books or something as radio faded. Also, would have though she'd have made the transition to TV, but it is what it is.

Haversack

One Too Many
I think we've all overlooked the incredible power of the phrase, "Tropical Oomph". Just consider how useful the phrase could be as an answer to all sorts of questions. For example, "What is the cure for pink toothbrush bristles?" "Tropical Oomph!" "Where did you get that hat?" "Tropical Oomph!".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
German forces are now only twelve miles from Paris, as the German High Command announces that more than 20,000 French prisoners have been taken after their capitulation at St. Valery on the English Channel. The captives include one French corps general, one British corps general, and two French divisional generals. Materiel taken so far was described as "incalculable." Meanwhile, German reports state that Rheims and Rouen have been taken, that the Marne has been crossed on both flanks of Paris, and that German troops now stand along the Oise, just northwest of the capital city.

As German forces continue their advance on Paris, Allied leaders today met "somewhere in France" to plan "heroic measures" for stemming the German onslaught. An official War Office spokesman insists that the enemy has not yet "achieved decisive results" but acknowledges that "it is apparent the moment is critical."

The Navy announced today that work was ordered started on two new 45,000-ton battleships and twenty other warships last night, within an hour after President Roosevelt signed the Navy's $1,400,000 appropriation act. One of the two battleships will be constructed at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, with the other contract awarded to Philadelphia, and the other ships to be built by various other government and commercial shipyards.

Famous screen comedian Charles Chaplin has obtained an injunction in Manhattan Federal Court restraining the distribution of the June 17th issue of "Life" magazine, shortly after he filed a $1,000,000 lawsuit against the publishers for printing in that issue a full page photograph of him as he appears in his upcoming film "The Dictator." A federal judge ordered against the release of 1,200,000 copies of the issue now awaiting distribution, but did not block the sale of 1,000,000 copies already released. Chaplin argued in his lawsuit that advance publication of the photograph could hurt prospective profits from the film.

Summations on behalf of the fourteen defendants in the Christian Front seditious conspiracy trial in Brooklyn Federal Court, after a ruling by Judge Marcus B. Campbell to dismiss the charge against Sgt. Alfred Quinlan of conspiring to overthrow the Government. Quinlan was the supply sergeant who allegedly provided National Guard ammunition to defendant Capt. John T. Prout Jr. for use the by the plotters, at a time when Capt. Prout was Quinlan's commanding officer. Quinlan still faces a charge of theft of government property for his role in the incident.

A former Assistant District Attorney was punched in the face today in the halls of Kings County Court by a disgruntled witness. Fifty-five year old Sidney Goettesman of 203 Beverly Road, who is now an attorney in private practice, was knocked down in a courthouse corridor by twenty-nine year old Gaspar Maniscalco of 7425 New Utrecht Avenue. Maniscalco had earlier been convicted of endangering the morals of a minor, and had been brought to testify in an abortion case involving the girl from that case. The girl is represented by Goettesman. Maniscalco was immediately arrested and arraigned on an assault charge before Judge George Martin, who told Maniscalco "you'll be a sick man before I get through with you." Goettesman appeared as complainant, badly shaken and with a swollen mouth, but not otherwise injured.

A Midwood police captain was shot with his own service revolver by an eleven-year-old boy, during a social visit at the boy's home. Captain Paul Lustbader, commander of the Bedford Avenue Station, had taken off his gun belt and placed in a flower pot while sitting down to play cards at the home of his friend Irving Sternberg at 1167 East 26th Street, when Sternberg's young son Melvin picked up the gun and began to play with it. Capt. Lustbader noticed the boy toying with the revolver and went over to take it from him, and the gun went off, striking the policeman in the chest. Lustbader is recovering from the wound at Kings County Hospital, and no charges are contemplated against the boy.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_.jpg

(Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.)

A new single grade of "approved milk" will supplant Grades A and B in New York City as of September 1st, following a unanimous decision by the Board of Health. The new regulations also prohibit advertising matter on milk bottle caps, requiring that the entire space on the cap be reserved for information required by the Health Department. The bottle itself, however, may carry whatever trademarks and advertising the distributor wishes to present.

A reminder to Brooklyn residents planning to observe Flag Week by displaying Old Glory -- when displayed, the union of the flag -- the blue field bearing the forty-eight stars -- must always be at the observer's left.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(1).jpg
(Tootsie?)

Miss Mae Atlas of Brooklyn writes in to complain about movie double-features, and says that it's high time they were discontinued. Who wants to spend 30 or 40 cents to see two mediocre pictures when they could pay the same amount to see one good picture and a few shorts? She commends Mr. Selznick for refusing to allow "Gone With The Wind" to be shown on a double-feature basis, and says with "All This And Heaven Too" now in release under the same condition, it's time for the trend to continue.

Speaking of the movies, the Eagle Editorialist says it's shocking that city truant officers last week rounded up a total of 179 school children in movie theatres last week, ninety-six of them at the Paramount Theatre in Times Square alone, there to see "The Way of All Flesh." "The children must be made to understand that the way of all flesh is to be flagellated."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg

(It'll all come out once he's elected to the Senate.)

With an Allegheny thunderstorm shutting off the lights for last night's scheduled Dodger-Pirate game at Forbes Field, there are rumblings of a far more intriguing sort now issuing from St Louis, where team president Larry MacPhail is conferring with Cardinal general manager Branch Rickey and owner Sam Breadon about a possible trade for none other than Joe "Ducky" Medwick. Long sought by the Dodger chief, Medwick has been in poor odor in the Mound City this season, with his .304 average well below his usual mark, and Cardinal fans have lately been booing the big slugger at Sportsman's Park. The Duck and Dodger manager Leo Durocher are old friends, and a trade has long been rumored -- but attempts to bring Medwick to Brooklyn last winter were repeatedly rebuffed.

The Dodgers are also considering further rumblings from along the Harlem River, where the Giants have been building up pressure in the National League race. The Terrymen have been winning at a faster clip than the Flock, and have closed to a tight third place in the National League race on the strength of surprisingly strong pitching, with their latest addition, Paul "Daffy" Dean, picked up off the scrap pile to turn in a strong performance against the Cubs yesterday.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(4).jpg

The Dodgers and Pirates will try again tonight, with the Flock laying over in Pittsburgh for an extra day to get in the contest. That schedule change will cancel out the exhibition game planned for tonight in Johnston, Pennsylvania.

Special blocks of reserved and grandstand seats are now on sale for the big series against the Reds and Cardinals at Ebbets Field next week. The Dodgers are making these special advance sales in order to keep the tickets out of the hands of scalpers.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(5).jpg

(What I'd really like to see is a picture co-starring Wallace Beery and Eddie Cantor. Although the idea of Judith Anderson, grand dame of the stage, opposite Cantor is pretty stimulating in itself.)

Dialect specialist Dr. Henry L. Smith Jr. has a fascinating program Wednesday nights at 8:30 over WOR. Dr. Smith isn't a dialect comedian -- instead, his act is to listen to a person and immediately identify where they came from just based on their speech. He's especially attuned to the various varieties of the New York dialect, and says the way to tell Bronxese from Brooklynese is to note the dentalization. A Bronx speaker tends to place his tongue against the teeth when pronouncing a phrase such as "county fair," whereas someone speaking the Brooklyn variety omits the dentalization. ("Ain'nat sun'n?" says Joe. "Hard ta 'dennalize'," adds Sally, "when ya lowa plate's fload'n inna glass.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(6).jpg
(Poor Zip. He thought he saw an elephant floating by, figured he must be hallucinating, and drove into a tree.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(7).jpg
(The line between politics and show business has always been thin.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(8).jpg
(Tracy would shoot it down, just sayin'.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_.jpg
Even while Europe burns, Page Four goes on...

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(1).jpg

The "Eat In Comfort" angle is likely a direct dig at poor H&H, who have recently rolled out a new kind of experimental Automat chair -- designed to be straddled by the customer, with a tray mounted on the top of what would ordinarily be the back of the chair, thus eliminating the need for a table. This is all well and good for pants-wearing diners, but if you're wearing a skirt of any kind it's less than comfortable. But good old back-to-basics Childs doesn't go for any of that kind of high-design foolishness.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(2).jpg

You tell 'em, Betty! Miss Garde is a radio actress of no mean skill, and her personal collection of airchecks of her broadcasts is sitting at this very moment in my bedroom closet.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg
Something tells me Ol' Cap is an old hand at running blockades. Bum Voyage, Axel!

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(4).jpg
"Doggie City?" Mr. Gould is trolling Miss Garde.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(5).jpg
Get out your hankies, kids, this one's gonna be a real weeper.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(6).jpg
Yeah, Pat -- don't be a gloop!

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(7).jpg
Try Childs, son -- lunch is 35 cents.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(8).jpg

It's been eight years since Otto Lummox jilted Emmy, so that dish of revenge ought to be nice and cold.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(9).jpg
I don't wanna sound cold, but those look like French soldiers there -- so maybe you really oughta just let her get shot, you know?

A former Assistant District Attorney was punched in the face today in the halls of Kings County Court by a disgruntled witness. Fifty-five year old Sidney Goettesman of 203 Beverly Road, who is now an attorney in private practice, was knocked down in a courthouse corridor by twenty-nine year old Gaspar Maniscalco of 7425 New Utrecht Avenue. Maniscalco had earlier been convicted of endangering the morals of a minor, and had been brought to testify in an abortion case involving the girl from that case. The girl is represented by Goettesman. Maniscalco was immediately arrested and arraigned on an assault charge before Judge George Martin, who told Maniscalco "you'll be a sick man before I get through with you." Goettesman appeared as complainant, badly shaken and with a swollen mouth, but not otherwise injured....

I think I saw that episode of "The Practice."

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_.jpg
(Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.)...

I can take a guess, but what exactly is a "re-laundered" golf ball?

Also, Modell's, which had a big presence in NYC, sadly declared bankruptcy this past March (pretty much pre pandemic, it's been struggling with on-line competition for years). I know of at least one person who bought a Yankee sweatshirt or two from them over the years.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(1).jpg (Tootsie?)...

For Tootsie's sake, I hope so. I'd take life in a circus over George and his idiot cousin Sugarfoot any day.

...Miss Mae Atlas of Brooklyn writes in to complain about movie double-features, and says that it's high time they were discontinued. Who wants to spend 30 or 40 cents to see two mediocre pictures when they could pay the same amount to see one good picture and a few shorts? She commends Mr. Selznick for refusing to allow "Gone With The Wind" to be shown on a double-feature basis, and says with "All This And Heaven Too" now in release under the same condition, it's time for the trend to continue....

That's not something on Twitter she fired off in under a minute. She had to take out some paper, sit down, write the note, look up the address, address an envelope, affix a stamp and walk to a postal box. That's a lot of passion over double features.

...The Dodgers and Pirates will try again tonight, with the Flock laying over in Pittsburgh for an extra day to get in the contest. That schedule change will cancel out the exhibition game planned for tonight in Johnston, Pennsylvania....

Any idea why they were playing exhibition games in the middle of a season - money?

...Dialect specialist Dr. Henry L. Smith Jr. has a fascinating program Wednesday nights at 8:30 over WOR. Dr. Smith isn't a dialect comedian -- instead, his act is to listen to a person and immediately identify where they came from just based on their speech. He's especially attuned to the various varieties of the New York dialect, and says the way to tell Bronxese from Brooklynese is to note the dentalization. A Bronx speaker tends to place his tongue against the teeth when pronouncing a phrase such as "county fair," whereas someone speaking the Brooklyn variety omits the dentalization. ("Ain'nat sun'n?" says Joe. "Hard ta 'dennalize'," adds Sally, "when ya lowa plate's fload'n inna glass.")...

:). Had you been a contemporary to him, my money is on you, Lizzie, beating the specialist at his own game.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_.jpg Even while Europe burns, Page Four goes on......

Based on our world today, I understand the need for relief from the headlines.

Re Scanty sun suits: Today, in Central Park in the summer, you will, of course, see sunbathers in very tiny string bikinis, but in the past five to ten years, topless has popped up [:)] even though it is technically not legal. In this case, maybe it was a gentler time.

Re Wedding Bliss: If I tried to make up social-registry-sounding names, I couldn't do any better than these.

...[ Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(1).jpg
The "Eat In Comfort" angle is likely a direct dig at poor H&H, who have recently rolled out a new kind of experimental Automat chair -- designed to be straddled by the customer, with a tray mounted on the top of what would ordinarily be the back of the chair, thus eliminating the need for a table. This is all well and good for pants-wearing diners, but if you're wearing a skirt of any kind it's less than comfortable. But good old back-to-basics Childs doesn't go for any of that kind of high-design foolishness....

Do you know how long that contraption lasted at H&H? And where are the Childs muffins today?

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg Something tells me Ol' Cap is an old hand at running blockades. Bum Voyage, Axel!...

Stop spiking the ball Nick and get on with it. Also, put a bullet in Nick's head before you leave, just to be sure. The rest can be let off to be killed in the old country, but I wouldn't take a chance on Axel. Remember rule#1 about Movie/TV/comic-book villains - always make sure they are dead.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(4).jpg "Doggie City?" Mr. Gould is trolling Miss Garde....

:)

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(5)-2.jpg Get out your hankies, kids, this one's gonna be a real weeper....

Onkeel Beem is the 1940 male comic-book version of first-season "Cheers" Diane Chambers.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(7).jpg Try Childs, son -- lunch is 35 cents....

What Skeezix is learning is the "two price" rule. Almost everything has two prices. The first price is the advertised or quoted price to suck you in; the second price is the all-in one that reflects what something will truly cost you when all is said and done. If Skeezix has really internalized this lesson from his time with Tula, then it was a cheap-as-heck lesson as everyone spends his/her life paying the second price for everything. It's better to understand it early; otherwise, budget hell follows.

... Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(9).jpg I don't wanna sound cold, but those look like French soldiers there -- so maybe you really oughta just let her get shot, you know?

I am very unhappy about panel four. Darn it Harold, you just needed to hold on a bit longer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I cannot imagine a world where "Gone With The Wind" would be shown on a double-feature basis unless they cut out 50 percent of the running time. Which might actually be a improvement.

The Dodgers as of 1940 are the number one road attraction in the National League, given all the hype that tends to follow Mr. Durocher around like a cologne-scented cloud (and there's more to come as the decade goes on), and Mr. MacPhail has long been an advocate of squeezing every cent out of the franchise's gate appeal that he can. The main reason he hired Babe Ruth as a coach in 1938 was to have him play in these hokey little exhibition games during road trips, and even now that Mr. Ruth is off the payroll, the exhibitions bring in enough cash to support themselves. The players hate them, but they do what they're told.

If Mr. Gatt has a weakness it's his taste for the "here's how great I am" monologue. I guess you don't get where he is today with an overdeveloped sense of modesty.

The weird H&H chairs didn't last very long after complaints from women who did not appreciate the adjustments required to use them. They were very avant-garde in design -- lots of chrome-plated curved-steel tubing and all -- but they were also not very practical. I tried to find a pic on line but came up short, but I think I remember seeing one in a book called "Orange Roofs and Golden Arches," a history of American fast food joint design, published back in the mid-80s. A fascinating book, by the way, even aside from the chairs.

If you think Bim is loquacious now, you should have seen him back in the twenties, when the panels were much larger. A hundred and fifty words to a balloon, easy.

Skeez and Harold are two peas from the same pod, but I think Harold is more self-destructive in his choices. But what can you expect from a kid who spent the crucial, formative years of his life mooching free sodas and daydreaming about two-tone corduroy pants.

I cannot imagine a world where "Gone With The Wind" would be shown on a double-feature basis unless they cut out 50 percent of the running time. Which might actually be a improvement.

The Dodgers as of 1940 are the number one road attraction in the National League, given all the hype that tends to follow Mr. Durocher around like a cologne-scented cloud (and there's more to come as the decade goes on), and Mr. MacPhail has long been an advocate of squeezing every cent out of the franchise's gate appeal that he can. The main reason he hired Babe Ruth as a coach in 1938 was to have him play in these hokey little exhibition games during road trips, and even now that Mr. Ruth is off the payroll, the exhibitions bring in enough cash to support themselves. The players hate them, but they do what they're told.

If Mr. Gatt has a weakness it's his taste for the "here's how great I am" monologue. I guess you don't get where he is today with an overdeveloped sense of modesty.

The weird H&H chairs didn't last very long after complaints from women who did not appreciate the adjustments required to use them. They were very avant-garde in design -- lots of chrome-plated curved-steel tubing and all -- but they were also not very practical. I tried to find a pic on line but came up short, but I think I remember seeing one in a book called "Orange Roofs and Golden Arches," a history of American fast food joint design, published back in the mid-80s. A fascinating book, by the way, even aside from the chairs.

If you think Bim is loquacious now, you should have seen him back in the twenties, when the panels were much larger. A hundred and fifty words to a balloon, easy.

Skeez and Harold are two peas from the same pod, but I think Harold is more self-destructive in his choices. But what can you expect from a kid who spent the crucial, formative years of his life mooching free sodas and daydreaming about two-tone corduroy pants.

Fair point re Nick - you don't get to where he is with a small ego.

I wonder if the H&H chair was designed by either Raymond Loewy or Henry Dreyfuss as those guys seemed to be designing everything at about that time (and "chrome-plated curved-steel tubing" fit their aesthetic).

Unless Harold stops, he's about to blow up.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
If this has been noted previously, I apologize.

Nearly every daily comic strip posted in this thread has a comment across the top margin, along with the title. Someone had to come up with a wisecrack, or something approaching a pun or play on words, 5 to 6 days a week, for 52 weeks. As a former fan of the republished collections of adventure strips (Terry and the Pirates was a favorite), I was impressed with the day in and day out presence of the mostly comical lead-ins to that day's story.

Was it the task of author or artist to supply these, or was it a job given to the most notable wag at the syndicate?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most original art from the period that I've seen has the daily title pencilled in over the strip in a hand that is most likely that of a syndicate editor, although I wouldn't be surprised if some artists came up with their own daily captions. They do come from the syndicate office rather than each local paper -- the same captions appear, for example, on the New York News-Chicago Tribune strips no matter what paper they appear in.

We're right at the end of the era of the daily caption for strips -- they'll remain in the Daily News until 1942, I think, with most papers dropping them during the war due to the paper shortage reducing space available for comics and forcing them to be reproduced in a smaller size. I think the only artist working today who still uses daily captions is Bill Griffith, who, atavist that he is, continues to include them on each day's release of "Zippy the Pinhead."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
France has declared that its lines are holding, even as it withdraws all troops from Paris, declaring the capital an "open city" to spare it the violence of combat. Only firemen and police remain to keep order in the city, as the French Army establishes its defenses outside the city limits. A French communique states that counterattacks against the German advance have pushed the lines back about five miles, but Germany continues to hurl the full weight of 120 divisions totalling 1,800,000 men against the French defenses.

German troops can see the Eiffel Tower from their positions outside Paris, and the city is within easy reach of Nazi bombardment. A Nazi spokesman estimates that the German lines are presently about eight miles from the city. German sources also state that the Maginot Line itself is imperiled as Nazi troops continue their thrust across the Marne at Chalons-sur-Marne.

Lured from his St.Louis habitat by a golden egg big enough to choke a pelican, the most famous Duck in all bird and baseball history is on his way to Brooklyn, after the Dodgers and the St. Louis Cardinals closed a deal last night to send outfielder Joe Medwick and pitcher Curt Davis to Brooklyn in exchange for outfielder Ernie Koy, pitcher Carl Doyle, minor league first baseman Bert Haas, and minor league pitcher Sam Nahem along with a sum of cash estimated at $150,000. Dodger president Larry MacPhail called the transaction "the biggest deal in National League history," and predicted "we may go broke trying to pay for this fellow, but he is the man we wanted and he is the player who is needed in Brooklyn to give us the strongest sort of pennant contending club." Medwick and Davis will report to Ebbets Field in time for the weekend series against the Cincinnati Reds. Medwick will wear his famous uniform number 7, with coach Chuck Dressen, who currently wears that number, shifting to 31. MacPhail has sought to obtain Medwick ever since he took over as club president in 1938, when he made an immediate cash offer of $200,000 for the muscular outfielder only to rebuffed. The twenty-eight year old slugger, a mainstay of the Cardinal lineup since 1932, has a lifetime batting average of .338.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(1).jpg

(In a 71st Street candy store, Joe races for the phone booth. "Hey!" he bellows. "Hey! Woil Series tickets! I wanna -- WOIL SERIES TICKETS! I wanna orda -- whaddaya mean, you sell coat fronts? I dowanna buy no coat fronts, I wanna get WOIL SERIES TICKETS! Aincha hoid? Medwick! We got Medwick! Lissen, izzis MAin 4-7030? I wanna orda --- oh. WELL GIMME BACK ME NICKEL!" And outside the booth Sally rolls her eyes. "I tol' ya we shoudla gone up there! Get on line foist thing they open! I betcha there's a million people there now. An' you in there talkin' 'bout coat fronts. I ask ya!)

Some 35,000 spectators will be on hand this afternoon when the battleship USS North Carolina slides into the East River at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Strict security will be in force for the launching ceremonies, with five hundred military guards on patrol to control the movements of the spectators. Miss Isabel Young Hoey, daughter of the Governor of North Carolina will smash the ceremonial silver-coated champagne bottle over the prow of the massive $65,000,000 ship.

District Attorney William O'Dwyer is investigating reports that waterfront union activist Pete Mazzie, twenty-three-year-old successor to Peter Panto as the leader of the rank-and-file committee of the International Longshoremen's Association, was slugged at a union meeting last night by a strong-arm relative of union vice president Emil Carmarda. The incident followed a confrontation between Mazzie and union president Joseph Ryan during a meeting at which the amalgmatation of Locals 346 and 1199 was under discussion.

Elaborate secret instructions have been issued to city police to fight possible subversive activty by German Nazi and Italian Fascist groups here. Although Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine and other high police officials have denied the existence of such orders, it has been disclosed that the five borough police commanders and the commanders of sixteen detective divisions have been issued the orders in a 25-page mimeographed pamphlet, with each copy numbered to ensure against leaks. The document was issued, it has been learned, under a directive by the FBI and the Army and Navy intelligence services to counter instructions allegedly issued by Benito Mussolini himself ordering Italian and German organizations to coordinate their efforts on behalf of the Fascist and Nazi war efforts.

A court ruling today paved the way for appeals by Mrs. Lena Frosch and her son Abraham Frosch, kingpins of the Brooklyn bail bond racket, of their convictions on charges of obstruction of justice. Supreme Court Justice Algeron I. Nova granted a certificate of reasonable doubt and fixed bail on the Frosches at $5000 each pending appeal.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(3).jpg

Three young Brooklyn women are sailing Long Island Sound in their very own barge, after pooling their money to buy the vessel for $160 at a public auction. Miss Dorothy Bennett, formerly assistant curator of the Hayden Planetarium, noticed the grimy 50-ton welding barge listed for sale, and recruited two of her friends, Margaret "Gibby" Gibbons, a health-education instructor, and Ruhe Linn, who works for the State Employment Agency for the Handicapped, to come in on the project with her. The "Barnacle," a barn-red scow that once sailed the Gowanus Canal, was fixed up by the three landlubbers as a recreational vessel, and while the snooty yachtsmen of the Sound might not appreciate its beauty, its three proprietors are having the time of their lives. The three unlikely sailors have put the story of the Barnacle into book form under the title "Sold To The Ladies!"

"Sympathetic Friend" writes in to Helen Worth to comment on "Distraught Wife's" story of a cheating husband, and predicts he will eventually come crawling back to her on his hands and knees, like her own husband did. She refused to let him back in the house, for the sake of her children. That was five years ago, and she regrets nothing.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(4).jpg

("Now, the Class of '31, now there was some real desperation...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(5).jpg
(HELLO FOLKS! Elmer is really Leslie Ostrander, Brooklyn actor/model, whose previous big job was posing as Joseph Stalin. Привет народ!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(6).jpg

Everything was Ducky-Wucky for the Dodgers last night as they closed out their western swing with a 5-4 victory over the Pirates. Whit Wyatt came out of the bullpen after the Bucs knocked Vito Tamulis out of the box in the first inning, and held them scoreless before ceding a final run in the eighth.

Reading left to right, it's Vosmik, Walker, and Medwick making up the outfield for the Cincinnati series, with manager Durocher looking forward to his old pal's bat in the lineup. Leo knew about the trade before the game last night, but refused to comment on the rumors swirling about the clubhouse, and even used the departing Ernie Koy one last time as a late-inning defensive replacement for Vosmik. Coach Chuck Dressen, however, is believed to have let the news slip to Pirate third baseman Lee Handley from his position in the third-base coaching box.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(7).jpg

(Ain't that pretty?)

The Homestead Grays thumped the Bushwicks 6-1 at Dexter Park, with Frank Hamilton of the powerful Negro National Leaguers scattering five hits. Only a late home run by Gene Rodgers kept the Bushwicks from being shut out.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(8).jpg
("...left in trust for his beloved elephant Tootsie.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(9).jpg
(Or, "don't count your votes before the check clears.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(10).jpg
(Poor Dan. That knee never did heal right.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_.jpg

Either the reporter or the doctors are confused. I get the kind of headaches they're describing here -- usually two or three days long, usually toward the end of the month -- and histamines only make them worse. "Suicide Headaches" indeed.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(1).jpg

Is there ANYTHING you can't buy at Davega?

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(2).jpg

Nick Gatt gets an endorsement deal! Happy Father's Day!

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(3).jpg
Well, Axel's reached the end of the line. Bring on Cesar Romero.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(4).jpg
("Do not feer, doctair, I shall strive to be as unexciteeng as posseeble.")

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(5).jpg
Seems this story is only beginning....

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(6).jpg
Aw, such a nice old couple. Bet they've got a nice dog, too.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(7).jpg
"No, I can't take it with me, but I can take it across the street...."

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(8).jpg
Maybe he'll get lucky and fall down the stairs.

Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(9).jpg
"We're just out, Madam. Can I show you something in a nice switchblade?"

... View attachment 241442
(In a 71st Street candy store, Joe races for the phone booth. "Hey!" he bellows. "Hey! Woil Series tickets! I wanna -- WOIL SERIES TICKETS! I wanna orda -- whaddaya mean, you sell coat fronts? I dowanna buy no coat fronts, I wanna get WOIL SERIES TICKETS! Aincha hoid? Medwick! We got Medwick! Lissen, izzis MAin 4-7030? I wanna orda --- oh. WELL GIMME BACK ME NICKEL!" And outside the booth Sally rolls her eyes. "I tol' ya we shoudla gone up there! Get on line foist thing they open! I betcha there's a million people there now. An' you in there talkin' 'bout coat fronts. I ask ya!).

...District Attorney William O'Dwyer is investigating reports that waterfront union activist Pete Mazzie, twenty-three-year-old successor to Peter Panto as the leader of the rank-and-file committee of the International Longshoremen's Association, was slugged at a union meeting last night by a strong-arm relative of union vice president Emil Carmarda. The incident followed a confrontation between Mazzie and union president Joseph Ryan during a meeting at which the amalgmatation of Locals 346 and 1199 was under discussion....

And you can see a fictionalized version of the union corruption story - right down to a few fistfights - in "On The Waterfront."
gettyimages-159821068-612x612.jpg

...A court ruling today paved the way for appeals by Mrs. Lena Frosch and her son Abraham Frosch, kingpins of the Brooklyn bail bond racket, of their convictions on charges of obstruction of justice. Supreme Court Justice Algeron I. Nova granted a certificate of reasonable doubt and fixed bail on the Frosches at $5000 each pending appeal....

Wow, and I thought we were done with these two. With them in jail, whom do they go to for the bail money? :)

Two decades prior, Arnold Rothstein was the king of NYC bail (and never got caught or jailed, like these two) and many other corrupt and not-corrupt NYC businesses. An excellent book on Rothstein is The Big Bankroll: The Life and Times of Arnold Rothstein by Leo Katcher published in 1959 (my comments here: #8398)

...Three young Brooklyn women are sailing Long Island Sound in their very own barge, after pooling their money to buy the vessel for $160 at a public auction. Miss Dorothy Bennett, formerly assistant curator of the Hayden Planetarium, noticed the grimy 50-ton welding barge listed for sale, and recruited two of her friends, Margaret "Gibby" Gibbons, a health-education instructor, and Ruhe Linn, who works for the State Employment Agency for the Handicapped, to come in on the project with her. The "Barnacle," a barn-red scow that once sailed the Gowanus Canal, was fixed up by the three landlubbers as a recreational vessel, and while the snooty yachtsmen of the Sound might not appreciate its beauty, its three proprietors are having the time of their lives. The three unlikely sailors have put the story of the Barnacle into book form under the title "Sold To The Ladies!"...
7457561.jpg

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(7).jpg

(Ain't that pretty?)...

Yes indeedy do. The Dodgers want to win this year. And nice that he's still young enough to, hopefully, give us many more years.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(10).jpg (Poor Dan. That knee never did heal right.)

This is such an important message that even the Black Hood leader appears to be standing up straight. (That has to feel good after all that hunching over.)

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_.jpg
Either the reporter or the doctors are confused. I get the kind of headaches they're describing here -- usually two or three days long, usually toward the end of the month -- and histamines only make them worse. "Suicide Headaches" indeed....

Re the Earl and "Countess:" That's a darn good story. By my count, that baby came out 8 months and two weeks later - just made it under the wire. It seems like the Earl got shanghaied. This one will be interesting to follow.

Re the charity girls: Sounds like they are legal but dubious as in, well-less-than 50% of your contribution goes to the actual needy. I'm betting, if there is a hell, there is a special place in it for those who steal from charities.

Re the headaches: I've had migraines since my late teens and it wasn't until ten years later that Imatrex (Sumatriptan) came out that they could be treated. Every time I think about what it would have been like to live back in the GE, I remind myself that I'd lose several awful days a year to migraines. Like all of us, I have my complaints about modern healthcare and prescription drugs (the "up and down and up and down and up and down again" price of Sumatriptan since it came out is a story in itself), but I know my life is much better off because of, at least, one new drug.

...[ Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(1).jpg
Is there ANYTHING you can't buy at Davega?...

Sounds like it was a '40s version of those '70s and '80s stores in NYC where they sold anything they could get a deal on (some of it felt sketchy). You'd walk in and could buy a TV, a raincoat or new book one day and a camera, a vacuum cleaner or sweater on another. Ebay, factory outlets and everyone discounting has hurt that model, but Dollar Stores seem to be a somewhat modern version of it.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(2).jpg
Nick Gatt gets an endorsement deal! Happy Father's Day!...

At least we now know where Fat Freddie Fitzsimmons shops. I'm seeing an endorsement deal in FFF's future.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(6).jpg Aw, such a nice old couple. Bet they've got a nice dog, too....

Maybe one of the reasons that their business isn't doing so well is that they wait until the guests show up to clean the cabins.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(7).jpg "No, I can't take it with me, but I can take it across the street...."...

I'm beginning to dislike Tula more than Senga (and that's not an easy hurdle). I've met plenty of Tulas in NYC. They come here specifically to meet the Skeezixs - young guys who make a lot of money. It's an ugly business that has ruined many young men.

... Daily_News_Thu__Jun_13__1940_(8).jpg Maybe he'll get lucky and fall down the stairs....

God I hope so. Carl Ed is torturing us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner