Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Chinese forces under Lt. General Joseph W. Stilwell are holding the western Burma oil town of Yenangyuan, 130 miles southwest of Mandalay, after liberating 7000 trapped British troops and killing more than 500 Japanese.

A second ban on the mailing of Father Coughlin's "Social Justice" magazine was issued today by Postmaster General Frank C. Walker, who ordered postmasters in Royal Oak, Michigan, where the publication is edited, and in Chicago, where the paper is printed, to consider the April 20th issue to be unmailable under the Espionage Act of 1917. Attorney General Francis Biddle has already recommended revocation of the magazine's second-class mailing permit under the terms of the Sedition Act, after stating that the paper's contents are "clearly seditious."

Meanwhile, Brooklyn attorney Joseph Goldstein has served formal complaints about the distribution of "Social Justice" on local newsstands, and by carriers in public parks, with documents filed with Licence Commissioner Paul Moss and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, citing the revocation of the paper's mailing permit as grounds for a city-wide ban. Attorney Goldstein indicated that he was acting on behalf of a local coalition of "pastors, civic bodies, fraternal orders, and

View attachment 420094

Reader A. Maloney writes in to castigate the Eagle for its endorsement of the ban on "Social Justice," and declares that it "compels me to discontinue my daily purchasing and reading of the Eagle until you discontinue such unfair articles. Numbers of my friends are doing likewise." Mr. Schroth acknowledges that many similar letters have been received, many of which could not be published because they are "scurrilous in nature."

View attachment 420096
(The odd headgear being worn as part of this blue-collar ensemble is the traditional paper hat of a newspaper press worker. Nice work if you can get it!)

View attachment 420102

View attachment 420105

View attachment 420108
(Because brain damage is the key to an enduring relationship.)

View attachment 420109

Col Claire Chennault ordered a brothel established for the American Volunteer Group,
demonstrating command initiative since an 'American fighting man will never surrender
as long as he has the means to resist.' Of course, lovely Chinese, Burmese, Thai colleens
are irresistible. General Stilwell, 'Vinegar Joe' West Point attack prolly, ordered it shut down.
Properly managed bordello practice within martial strictures include medical supervision,
a prime objective Chennault achieved.

Time, place, and manner serve speech ban foundation; however the Espionage Act, cited
along with sedition polishes boilerplate a bit much, too much as far as Coughlin's rag of a paper
really wipes across the national consensus.

I remember seeing newspaper press workers strolling downtown Chicago still sportin' gig cap.
A cool piece of adornment often accompanied by a rolled paper. Swag. Sidewalk swag counts.

Pat's from Cork allright. A real corker too by the likes. A pretty colleen lass whacks him over
the noggin with a niblick Nine iron and he's all agog. Not that I blame, she's a catch.
...just the right amount on that hum dinger aye. A bit dragoon girl touch bye the bye.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_.jpg

("I don't know nut'n 'bout nut'n, no way an' no how!")

If Lyons is truly innocent, that's fine, but the stones didn't arrange themselves in the shape of an antique Belgian courtyard at Flynn's estate. There are several guilty in this with it being very, very, very hard to believe Flynn wasn't driving it.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(1).jpg

("I dunno," says Sally. "If I was t'say my name when I cawl 'at MacPhail, ya t'ink he's gonna tawk t'me?" "I dunno," sighs Joe. "But maybe y'shou'nt say 'lissen ya red-faced bum!" right off neit'eh.")

To this day, the science involved in those old telephones is still impressive. That a human voice can go through a diaphragm, then though a layer of coal grains, then great distances over a thin copper wire that then causes a magnet to vibrate a second diaphragm that reproduces the voice with incredible accuracy and nuance is just incredible.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(8).jpg

(FOOT SKINNING IRWIN! FOOT SKINNING IRWIN! FOOT SKINNING IRWIN!)

"...I need cash up front, I'm in private practice now and that kid ain't easy."

"I don't have it in the budget, but I'll figure something out as we have to get her help, today she she screamed out in class..."

[Interrupting] "Stop right there, I'm not listening until I get paid."

[Later] "If we serve meat only one day a week for lunch, how much will we save? Only that much? Still, it's worth it. Schedule an appointment for little Lizzie."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_.jpg

Dr. Cowles was one of the most prominent "celebrity doctors" of his time, and also one of the shadiest.

He's had quite a run for two decades. I'd bet some money found its way from him and his clinic to the police and politicians over those years as we've read enough of these Day by Days to know how things like this worked back then. Also, Jeanne Eagles! - a name sadly all but forgotten today.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(3)-2.jpg

"You got a tool shed? Let's look under there first."

Peter Lorrie will be playing the role of Van Dyke.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(4)-2.jpg

"You'll have to huddle together closely. Very close." "WELL SHOOT THE SHERBET TO ME HERBERT!"

I love Caniff's work, but he does get lazy about drawing background now and then.

Can you imagine how big the number would be if we could count the number of times the plot of a movie, TV show or comicstrip required the hero to ride along with, bring back, deliver, etc. dynamite over some bumpy road or turbulent waterway?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
back I love Caniff's work, but he does get lazy about drawing background now and then.

Can you imagine how big the number would be if we could count the number of times the plot of a movie, TV show or comicstrip required the hero to ride along with, bring back, deliver, etc. dynamite over some bumpy road or turbulent waterway?

Methinks Caniff deliberately keeps things a triffle vague, there's a good lad like Yeats, and best better yet,
Samuel Beckett; Stephen Hero's dad James spins gossamer shadows cast off votive candles aflicker
fiery tongues spake curse to darkness, but Milt keeps his own mind more often than not.

Dynamite is easy. Travels well in a soldier's back pack; all in more with C4 plastique, blasting caps,
fuse, ignitors; or electrical wiring, caps.

Railroad tracks are best boyo for the triple tee. Two sticks, taped, fold some plastique around,
stick a crimped blasting cap in a hotdog, second to putty. Pull fuses. Dual ignition off fuse ignitors.
Same with electric, run out the wire, attach detonator box, turn switch clockwise. Simple as stirring tea.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_.jpg

(We've seen trolley accidents before, but nothing like this one. More ammunition, no doubt, for the bus advocates. Oh, and the Rapp-Coudert Commitee? Are they still in the league?)

Soviet forces have overwhelmed Finnish resistance on three sectors of the Karellian front, advancing six miles despite stubborn tank and infantry counterattacks. In the Crimea, it was learned that Soviet seaplanes destroyed 19 grounded German bombers and have blown up ammunition and fuel dumps. The planes also swooped down on Nazi panzer and infantry columns, infliciting heavy casualties and destroying dozens of tanks.

Dispatches from Ankara and Lisbon received in London hint that secret preparations are being made in Rome to seek a separate peace for Italy. Neutral diplomatic reports from Ankara stated that Italians have been "depressed" by Pierre Laval's return to power in Vichy, fearing that Germany will reject Italian claims on France, and it is believed in those quarters that a separate peace would permit the return of Italian war prisoners held by the British. It is speculated that action might be taken during the summer months while Germany is busy with the Russian campaign. The Lisbon dispatch added that "if Germany does not fully occupy Italy, a separate peace would be the easiest thing that could happen."

Severe fighting raged today on the Salween River front in eastern Burma today while Lt. Gen. Joseph W. Stilwell's Chinese defenders stoutly resisted Japanese attacks. A communique stated that a large Japanese force led by armored cars has launched a northward drive in the Bawlake area west of the Salween and 37 miles below Loikaw.

President Roosevelt worked today on an anti-inflation message to Congress and the nation, a plan that will recommend the most drastic control of the national economy ever contemplated. The plan is expected to include a 99 percent tax on all corporation earnings over 6 percent of capitalization, a ceiling of between $25,000 and $50,000 on all personal incomes, a directive to the War Labor Board freezing the wages of workers in higher skill brackets, a system of ceiling prices at both the wholesale and retail level on close to 30,000 different products, and the nationwide rationing of all consumer goods. There are still elements of the plan up for negotiation among members of the Administration which must be resolved before the President delivers his message next week.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(1).jpg

(Assuming they can actually get the gas masks and the helmets.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(2).jpg

("Three of the pretty boys." "Sissy Greenwich Village rendezvous." Just what are you trying to say, Mr. Conrad?)

The Eagle Editorialist endorses the vote this week by the Republican National Committee officially repudiating its former isolationist position, calling the GOP's statement acknowledging that the United States has "an oblligation for world co-operation" a marked victory for 1940 Republican presidential nominee Wendell Willkie in his campaign for rejection of the former policy. But the EE also suggests that this step wasn't taken out of a firm commitment to a new philosophy, but merely because, with the entry of the US into the war, the Republican Party "saw the handwriting on the wall," and realized that holding to any kind of an isolationist platform now would mean disaster come Election Day.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(4).jpg

(Because if there's one thing we've learned from the funnies, it's that stoutish middle-aged bald-headed gentlemen love to fish.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(5).jpg

(Hey now, ED HEAD ED HEAD ED HEAD goes two-for-five. Nothing better than a good-hitting pitcher, unless it's an actual big-league player named "Clyde Kluttz.")

The first Ladies Day of the season brought 4367 women to Ebbets Field yesterday on reduced-price tickets. They were vocal in their enjoyment of the 13-2 Brooklyn win.

("Nah," says Sally. "Who wansta see t' Bostons? I'm savin' my t'roat f' nex' month. Pittsboig's comin'. You'll see." "See what?" worries Joe. "Jus' you wait," smiles Sally. "You'll see.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(6).jpg

("There's just a chance!" declares Doc Static. "My experimental heart transfusion! You, Slap-Happy! Lie down on the table. Hey, where'd you go?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(7).jpg

(That's why we now have "CLEARANCE" signs.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(8).jpg

(IF YOU'RE A REAL FORTUNE TELLER WOULDN'T YOU *KNOW* WHO HE WAS TALKING TO? HUH? HUH?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(9).jpg

(Creeeeeeeeeeepy.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(10).jpg

(Aw, cmon, let Wolf ride with his head sticking out the window. Everybody loves it when a dog rides in a car with his head sticking out the window.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_.jpg

You know, it really hasn't felt like spring without Mungo news. How much trouble can he get into in Minneapolis?

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(1).jpg

"I note that you previously gave this complaint to the press..." Mr. Moses and Mr. Goldstein are not friends.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(2).jpg

You really didn't plan any of this out very well, did you?

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(3).jpg

"I'll introduce you. We're very close."

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(4).jpg

Now what did Mr. Ferrett say again? Think carefully. Can you remember?

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(5).jpg

Settle down, Patrick. That's not what she meant.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(6).jpg

"Nah, I got these at Davega."

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(7).jpg

"Wholesome entertainment for our boys in the service."

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(8).jpg

Poor Pop, couldn't keep up on his protection money.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(9).jpg

You know, Moon, you'd look even sharper if you popped that collar.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_.jpg

(We've seen trolley accidents before, but nothing like this one. More ammunition, no doubt, for the bus advocates. Oh, and the Rapp-Coudert Commitee? Are they still in the league?)

I'll happily defer to Day-by-Day's resident lawyer @Harp, but I struggle to see how one barber cutting another barber's hair for free on Sunday violates "Sabbath laws," unless the argument is, since it's a reciprocal arrangement, it's really barter and, thus, a transaction and not a non-commercial act of friendship.

We know the buses, through political influence, will win the battle, but they crash too. I wonder if there are any studies out there comparing the fatalities caused by buses versus trolleys covering the same routes.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(5).jpg

(Hey now, ED HEAD ED HEAD ED HEAD goes two-for-five. Nothing better than a good-hitting pitcher, unless it's an actual big-league player named "Clyde Kluttz.")

Yesterday's was good, but today's "throwout at the plate" picture is even better.

"Well, for once, at least we didn't have to hear about his 'Wasp waist'."

"What dear?"

"Nothing."

When's Freddie gonna pitch?

("Nah," says Sally. "Who wansta see t' Bostons? I'm savin' my t'roat f' nex' month. Pittsboig's comin'. You'll see." "See what?" worries Joe. "Jus' you wait," smiles Sally. "You'll see....

Joe probably doesn't know it (he should ask Solly), but the expression he's looking for is "oy vey."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(9).jpg

(Creeeeeeeeeeepy.)

Very, very creepy. Barbara, at least, seems to get that.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_.jpg

You know, it really hasn't felt like spring without Mungo news. How much trouble can he get into in Minneapolis?

Kinda a ho-hum end to the Mungo affair. But always good to see the closure as so many stories are just left hanging.

Now, what's going on with Miss Webb?

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(1).jpg

"I note that you previously gave this complaint to the press..." Mr. Moses and Mr. Goldstein are not friends.

In the category of so little is new, you don't have to tweak Moses' argument much at all to align it with one side of the debate today over social media censorship.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(3).jpg

"I'll introduce you. We're very close."

Point of order: the star of a Broadway show disappears and the understudy goes on, but nobody in the theater company notices. Challenge!

And yes, it seems we have a Kay-Harrington-Dunn triangle in "Dick Tracy" now, only not with Dick involved. Dan needs to wrap up the spy case and then take some time to, as the saying goes, get his house in order.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(4).jpg

Now what did Mr. Ferrett say again? Think carefully. Can you remember?

I can't take this; it's too painful to watch.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_22__1942_(7).jpg

"Wholesome entertainment for our boys in the service."

This is, at least, the third time in these Day-by-Days where we've seen a skirt flying up in the air because of a subway grate. It's amazing it wasn't considered hackneyed by the time Marilyn famously did it.

GY1.gif

Oh, I get it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That was the whole point of the "Blowhole Theatre" at Steeplechase Park -- the only way out after exploring the Pavilion of Fun was to go thru this room where a leering farmer, a mysterious cowboy, and a sinister dwarf clown waited with electric cattle prods. Women were manipulated over an air vent in the floor, and a jet of air whooshed their skirts up, to the endless merriment of people sitting in bleachers at the sides of the room.

Good, clean, wholesome fun.

I don't think Fitz healed from that kneecapping, and they aren't telling us. He only pitched once in spring training, and poorly, and there's been absolutely no mention of him being in the rotation since the season started. C'mon, Leo, come clean. What's going on?

And why is Mungo holding a drink in that photo? Did he not learn his lesson, or did he get an endorsement deal with Four Roses?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Gollygeewilikers, lotza good stuff today!
But firstoff, hats off to Lizzie for all this effort she puts into our ERA thread.:)

I noticed that the lass Pat has just scared reminds me of Loraine Day. Pat is obviously Sligo,
definitely not Cork. Hate to christen a fellow Mick a hick but if the shoe fits, Cinderfella it is. Done and done.

Dance pair busted flush, Mongo nailed for cause; but did criminal converse occur megage a trois,
sans menage? An inchoate occurrence befreft of a smidgen's plausibility nevertheless gives pause
to the cause; so plaintiff's counsel cut a deal for a cool $2,500. Accusatory severance, obviously since
the corporate locus-employee hostess with-the-mostest didn't drag the establishment's deep pockets
into the game. All shirtfront poker stud dealt, called. Clean cut for the devil. Lucifer is the Prince of Lawyers
doncha know. And the tryst hotel is under foreign flag, so the ex-Dodger was as good as it was gonnabees.

---irrelevant passing thought, but Loraine Day was such a lovely woman, how she ever
wed that Ace Slimeball Durocher.

Newspaper censorship franking, postal, and self-service pick pocketing is secular semantic sermon,
but Mr Moses is correct in his opinion on both counts: Coughlin's rag, and park property recuse.

Byzantine codicil to the Cocalis will isn't unusual in the Greek tradition whose patrimony
is famed for ethnic bias; although such marital restriction is severe, it is lawful.
And Virginia's countenance proclaims that happiness is blessed. :)

The Rapp-Coudert committe strikes like the Spanish Inquisition.
Columbia University casts shadow across Gotham's academic scene but Brooklyn College
glistens a diamond set against onyx prejudice. I could have gone to Columbia because the
university was receptive to veterans, but the perspective maturity grants sure glimmers
over towards Brooklyn College.

Pat, suren alive, speaks the brogue 'bout that winsome lass, Crabcakes.
But he's all linen and herself is lace. Inside a deuce-and-a half ton truck it's celibate ride time lad.
He's right about the tracers. Nasty buggers, hate those. Used to scrap it off with me knife.
Good luck with the Imperials Jack. And if you think you'll get a bite out of Mrs Sandhurst,
forget it, ain't even gonna happen.

Gollygeewilikers, lotza good stuff today!
But firstoff, hats off to Lizzie for all this effort she puts into our ERA thread.:)

I noticed that the lass Pat has just scared reminds me of Loraine Day. Pat is obviously Sligo,
definitely not Cork. Hate to christen a fellow Mick a hick but if the shoe fits, Cinderfella it is. Done and done.

Dance pair busted flush, Mongo nailed for cause; but did criminal converse occur megage a trois,
sans menage? An inchoate occurrence befreft of a smidgen's plausibility nevertheless gives pause
to the cause; so plaintiff's counsel cut a deal for a cool $2,500. Accusatory severance, obviously since
the corporate locus-employee hostess with-the-mostest didn't drag the establishment's deep pockets
into the game. All shirtfront poker stud dealt, called. Clean cut for the devil. Lucifer is the Prince of Lawyers
doncha know. And the tryst hotel is under foreign flag, so the ex-Dodger was as good as it was gonnabees.

---irrelevant passing thought, but Loraine Day was such a lovely woman, how she ever
wed that Ace Slimeball Durocher.

Newspaper censorship franking, postal, and self-service pick pocketing is secular semantic sermon,
but Mr Moses is correct in his opinion on both counts: Coughlin's rag, and park property recuse.

Byzantine codicil to the Cocalis will isn't unusual in the Greek tradition whose patrimony
is famed for ethnic bias; although such marital restriction is severe, it is lawful.
And Virginia's countenance proclaims that happiness is blessed. :)

The Rapp-Coudert committe strikes like the Spanish Inquisition.
Columbia University casts shadow across Gotham's academic scene but Brooklyn College
glistens a diamond set against onyx prejudice. I could have gone to Columbia because the
university was receptive to veterans, but the perspective maturity grants sure glimmers
over towards Brooklyn College.

Pat, suren alive, speaks the brogue 'bout that winsome lass, Crabcakes.
But he's all linen and herself is lace. Inside a deuce-and-a half ton truck it's celibate ride time lad.
He's right about the tracers. Nasty buggers, hate those. Used to scrap it off with me knife.
Good luck with the Imperials Jack. And if you think you'll get a bite out of Mrs Sandhurst,
forget it, ain't even gonna happen.

But firstoff, hats off to Lizzie for all this effort she puts into our ERA thread.
tumblr_eb61fa4876c630abe9a13d44a310adc2_9a48fc2f_500.gif

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_.jpg

(Five gallons a week? How extravagant. And a serial sex criminal operating right in the Commissioner's own neighborhood? "It was a gentler time.")

President Harry S. Gideonse of Brooklyn College acknowledged today that he knew the Rapp-Coudert Committee has information "tending to implicate" more teachers at the college as Communists, but maintained that he is "powerless to take action" unless there is evidence "sufficiently substantial to stand up in court." The president reiterated that Brooklyn College operates under the law, as does he himself, and "I can't act on rumors not sufficiently substantial to stand up in court."

Expressing confidence that the Government has legal authority to seize all unused elevated structures in the city as scrap steel for the war effort, Brooklyn attorney George Dyson Friou today offered his services without compensation in the preparation of legal proceedings against the city, Mayor LaGuardia, and city agencies on behalf of the War Production Board. In a letter to WPB Metropolitan Special Projects director Frank S. Williams, Mr. Friou expressed the view that the recent seizure of the Brewster Aircraft Corporation and action taken by the government against an independent scrap dealer in Valpariso, Indiana establishes precedent for a similar action to be taken to seize L scrap from the city. Among the defunct L structures cited by Mr. Friou are those on Sands, High, Adams, and Tillary Streets, and the old Euclid Avenue ramp which formerly connected the BMT with the Long Island Railroad in Cypress Hills. That ramp, noted Mr. Friou, has been abandoned since 1917, but remains standing.

Meanwhile, the Mayor has announced steps to end service on the Second Avenue L from Manhattan to the North Shore of Queens. Plans for the demolition of that line from 50th Street to Chatham Square will shortly be presented to the Board of Estimate.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(1).jpg

(With Mr. Ayres now out of the labor camp and training in the Medical Corps, it'll be interesting to see if his picture does any business -- or if it "gets the business." Maybe I'm missing it, but an ad for this film seems conspicuously absent from the page.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(2).jpg
(So if they're out of brisket down to Bohack's, don't complain. Doncha know there's a war on?)

Reader Bela Tokaji writes in to thank Baseball for continuing despite the war. "There was genuine joy in Flatbush Friday," he declares. "The Dodgers came home. My fellow hikers and I were delighted to join the three million fans to root for their dear bums. At eighty I find that one is never too old to enjoy a baseball game."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(3).jpg

("But hey, why is it we only save Page Four?")

Eighty-year-old Albert Davis of 936 E. 12th Street, who died yesterday, was renowned for owning one of the nation's largest collections of theatrical photographs, programs, and stage souvenirs. Mr. Davis's collection, consisting of about 100,000 items valued at approximately $60,000, filled almost every square inch of his home, and earned him an income from rental of various items to motion picture studios, libraries, and museums. Mr. Davis had also been summoned to Hollywood in person on more than one occasion to serve as a technical advisor on matters of costuming, scenery, and other historical details. As a boy, Mr. Davis wanted, himself, to be an actor, but failing that, he began collecting theatrical souvenirs at an early age, beginning a hobby that would last for the rest of his life.

(Mr. Davis's collection survives intact to this day -- at the University of Texas. Go figure.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(4).jpg

(And speaking of wasp waists, get a load of Dixie there -- 30 inches, tops. It's a pity Fitz didn't pitch this game -- how often do you get to see a pitching duel between two knuckleballers? They'd probably still be playing.)

Radio's latest Crossley survey of top programs finds Jack Benny's show the most popular with listeners for this week, followed by Bergen & McCarthy, Fibber & Molly, the Aldrich Family, the Radio Theatre, Bob Hope, Fanny Brice & Frank Morgan, Kate Smith, and Mr. District Attorney.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(5).jpg

(Did your shirt reweave itself too?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(6).jpg

([Jerry Colonna Voice] "eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh, could be!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(7).jpg

("But oh how you love to believe it!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(8).jpg

("That's all right, dear, there are always times when it's best to go incognito. By the way, call me 'Jane Arden' now.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(9).jpg

(Sure, this'll hold up in court.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_.jpg

"Col. Hale Heatherington Halquire." C'mon, you guys are just making this up.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(1).jpg

Enough with the preliminaries, bring on the main event.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(2).jpg

Is Eldeen bright enough to cut the phone lines first? Real easy to do, you know. Snip snip.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(3).jpg
Combine this with the slug line today, and it's as straight as Mr. Caniff can lay it out.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(4).jpg

"Brangwyn?" Funny, he doesn't look Welsh.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(5).jpg

Tops is the saddest sack of all the sad sacks in the Army.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(6).jpg

("They won't even let me listen to H. V. Kaltenborn!")

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(7).jpg

Poor Pop. Sleeping with the fishes.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(8).jpg
Nothing even the slightest bit suspicious here, no sirree.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(9).jpg

Hey kid, does Berle know you're stealing his gags?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_.jpg

(Five gallons a week? How extravagant. And a serial sex criminal operating right in the Commissioner's own neighborhood? "It was a gentler time.")

No kidding. The Eagle's gingerly covering the story, but I assume the News will be less gentle. What a failure of the police to take this long to catch him. It doesn't seem often that sex-crime offenders are married - that was a surprise.

Separately, "you do not look like a criminal," so you get probation only. What!?

Also, how 'bout the wife who wants to serve time in place of her husband? He married well. "Thank you dear, see you in two to five."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(1).jpg

(With Mr. Ayres now out of the labor camp and training in the Medical Corps, it'll be interesting to see if his picture does any business -- or if it "gets the business." Maybe I'm missing it, but an ad for this film seems conspicuously absent from the page.)

It would be a shame if people stayed away because the full story - which I believe we read in these Day by Days, so it was known at the time - reflects well on Ayres.

A few day ago, I stumbled upon this quote (from IMDB) from Lizabeth Scott, an original member of Hellzapoppin':

[on touring, pre-Hollywood, with 'Hellzapoppin'] It was really hellzapoppin all the time. For a year and a half we traveled from coast to coast. During one stretch we made sixty-four one-night stands in succession. It got so we weren't conscious of what town we were playing in. Just sixty-four days of haze. We were congenial and jolly except when we were dead for lack of sleep. But in such close intimacy there was no privacy. My dream then, my joy now, is to be alone - to lock my apartment door and not even answer the phone.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(5).jpg

(Did your shirt reweave itself too?)

Sure, the shower scene from "Dallas" was more dramatic, but as we see time and again, almost nothing in new.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(7).jpg

("But oh how you love to believe it!")

So, are well-rested fish known for having impressive imaginations?

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(1).jpg

Enough with the preliminaries, bring on the main event.

Just noting it is not a "Belgian courtyard," but an "antique Belgian courtyard."

How much would you like to be a fly on that wall tomorrow?

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(3).jpg

Combine this with the slug line today, and it's as straight as Mr. Caniff can lay it out.

There comes a time in every young person's life when they have to decide if they are going to man-up or not; Caniff is basically telling Normandie this is her moment.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_23__1942_(7).jpg

Poor Pop. Sleeping with the fishes.

"IT IS THE POLICY OF THE NEW MANAGEMENT NOT TO EXTEND CREDIT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. FURTHERMORE, POP JENKS SOLD HIS ACCOUNT RECORDS WITH THE BUSINESS, SO MANAGEMENT WILL BE COMING TO ANYONE WHO HAS AN OUTSTANDING TAB AND EXPECTING A FULL SETTLEMENT ON DEMAND. HAVE A GOOD DAY." The new management of the Sugar Bowl.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_.jpg

("Well," sighs Sally, "whenna food rationin' comes, t'ey won' be haff as much t'stretch oveh, so it all evens out." "I neveh seen you wawk wit' a mincin' gait," observes Joe. "What izzit, even?" "You know, like y'wawk when y'gotta got to go't t'can, whennay ain' one." "Oh no, t'ey ain' plannin' on rationin' terlets, izzey?" "Hey, wawr is hell.")

The opening of a second front in Europe to aid Russia in its battle against Germany was strongly urged last night by Lord Beaverbrook, British lease-lend coordinator, at the annual Washington dinner of the American Newspaper Publishers' Association. Addressing a crowd of 1000 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, Lord Beaverbrook demanded that the Allies "strike out to help Russia! Strike out violently! Strike even recklessly! In any event, strike such blows that real help will be our contribution to the Russian battlefront!" Lord Beaverbrook praised the Soviet government under Stalin for "producing the most valiant fighting army in Europe," as well as "examples of patriotism equal to the finest annals of history" and "the applause and admiration of all the Western nations."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(1).jpg

(They can't wait for the crap game going on in the back of the car.)

A report by Commissioner of Investigation William B. Herlands to Mayor LaGuardia and Bronx District Attorney Samuel J. Foley revealed today that Democratic National Committee chairman Edward J. Flynn was supplied by the office of the Bronx Borough President with city-owned cars and station wagons for his private use. The 22-page report was presented to Mr. Foley and to Bronx Borough President James J. Lyons, as well as to the press, early today, but the Mayor, arriving at LaGuardia Field from Washington, declared that he had not yet heard of the report and had no comment on it. The Bronx Grand Jury has been hearing evidence this week concerning the charge that city workers using city-owned Belgian paving blocks paved a courtyard at Mr. Flynn's Lake Mahopac estate.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(2).jpg

(Dietrich? Coy? You're kidding.)

All proceeds of the May 8th game between the Dodgers and the Giants at Ebbets Field will be donated to the Naval Relief Fund, it was announced today by club president Larry MacPhail and Brooklyn Trust Company president George V. McLaughlin, co-chairmen of the Brooklyn Citizens Committee for the Naval Relief Society. It was also announced by Edward F. Tilyou, head of Steeplechase Park at Coney Island, that 50,000 tickets to the Pavilion of Fun will will be sold by comitttee members with all proceeds going to Naval Relief. It was noted at today's meeting at the Hotel Bossert that $10,000 in cash contributions to the fund have already been received.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(3).jpg

("The noodle with the two-way stretch.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(4).jpg

(Isn't there an "unwritten rule" that says you can't beat up the Phillies? There isn't? Well go to it then! And kudos to Parrott today for his promotion of "Negro ball." Ever consider joining the Committee to End Jim Crow in Baseball?)

George Earnshaw, star pitcher of Connie Mack's pennant-winning A's of more than a decade ago, who tossed a few with the Bushwicks after his big-league career ended, is now a Lieutenant with the Navy stationed at Jacksonville, Florida -- and he's looking forward to living up to his promise to strike out Sgt. Hank Greenberg. Lt. Earnshaw challenged Greenberg's MacDill Field squad to a game by writing the former Tiger star thusly: "Listen you big lug, I hear you have a team and we want a game with you. I may not have much left, but I can strike you out three out of four times!" The game will be played early next month.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(5).jpg

("It must be his Kryptonite belt buckle! Oh wait, wrong strip...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(6).jpg

(If the robot is capable of functioning indepently, shouldn't it have extensive mechanical and electrical components inside that would prevent a full-sized adult from being able to fit in the casing? Or does Scarlet become intangible when she is invisible? And if that's the case, why couldn't she just float out thru the shell when she wanted to get out? C'MON STAMM, BE CONSISTENT.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(7).jpg

(Isn't this the same lawyer we saw in the Oakdale case? Or is he in jail now?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(8).jpg

(Better get your nine-iron ready, kid.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(9).jpg

(It turns out that scopolamine is a real drug, with certain psychoactive effects. Such as, confidenshilly, making you do an imitation of Mischa Auer.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_.jpg

He's really sorry.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(1).jpg

SPRING IS HERE!

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(2).jpg

Blighter? Isn't he really more of a blackguard?

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(3).jpg

Well, gee, he seems like a pretty genial guy after all that.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(4).jpg

No time for joking, Patrick.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(5).jpg

There sure are a lot of evil swamis running around these days.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(6).jpg
Hint: drag the river.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(7).jpg

Hey, at least you got a uniform.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(8).jpg

You'll have to pay for that hat.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(9).jpg

Just to be sure, though, check out back for an antique Belgian courtyard.

A report by Commissioner of Investigation William B. Herlands to Mayor LaGuardia and Bronx District Attorney Samuel J. Foley revealed today that Democratic National Committee chairman Edward J. Flynn was supplied by the office of the Bronx Borough President with city-owned cars and station wagons for his private use. The 22-page report was presented to Mr. Foley and to Bronx Borough President James J. Lyons, as well as to the press, early today, but the Mayor, arriving at LaGuardia Field from Washington, declared that he had not yet heard of the report and had no comment on it. The Bronx Grand Jury has been hearing evidence this week concerning the charge that city workers using city-owned Belgian paving blocks paved a courtyard at Mr. Flynn's Lake Mahopac estate.

No graft scheme ever started with an antique Belgian courtyard. By the time it gets to that point - by the time a politician is comfortable having city workers, on city time, use city pavement stones to build an antique Belgian courtyard on his person estate - the politician has to be swimming in graft.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(2).jpg

(Dietrich? Coy? You're kidding.)

"Larceny Inc." is an okay movie made incredibly enjoyable because of Edward G. Robinson. It does have the very funny premise of crooks buying a luggage store to use it as a front to rob a bank next door only to find it is easier and more profitable to run the luggage store honestly than to rob the bank. But this is a Robinson vehicle that proves there was a time in Hollywood when a short, oddly shaped man could be a major lead actor.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(6).jpg

(If the robot is capable of functioning indepently, shouldn't it have extensive mechanical and electrical components inside that would prevent a full-sized adult from being able to fit in the casing? Or does Scarlet become intangible when she is invisible? And if that's the case, why couldn't she just float out thru the shell when she wanted to get out? C'MON STAMM, BE CONSISTENT.)

Your point is a good one, it's gotta be pretty tight in there. Also "The effects of the ether finally wears off..." Really? She always seems to be in a bit of an ether haze.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(9).jpg

(It turns out that scopolamine is a real drug, with certain psychoactive effects. Such as, confidenshilly, making you do an imitation of Mischa Auer.)

Noir movies from the 1940s have plenty of plots pivoting on "truth serum" drugs and, as is the wont of movies, they tend to work perfectly. :)

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_.jpg

He's really sorry.

Married with a kid and owner of a successful business. This guy does not fit the profile, but there he is.

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(2).jpg

Blighter? Isn't he really more of a blackguard?

"You'll note that is not a stunt dog as I do all my own action scenes."

Daily_News_Fri__Apr_24__1942_(6).jpg

Hint: drag the river.

As crazy as it sounds, they should check with the draft board. Maybe he's gone to Washington to be a dollar-a-year man in charge of soda distribution for all the troops.

Worlds-Fair-1939-Flushing-Meadows-Corona-Park-Queens-NYC.jpg

While I didn't see a date on the article, this is a link to what I believe is an older story about remnants of the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs that were held in Queens. Regular readers of these Day by Days will remember what a big event the 1939/40 Fair was.

https://untappedcities.com/2016/08/...flushing-meadows-corona-park/?displayall=true

A schematic of the still-buried 1939 time capsule
414px-Time_capsule_internment_plan.png

Statue from the 1939 Polish pavilion that now sits in NYC Central Park. I pass it regularly - it is quite impressive.
King-Jagiello-Central-Park.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

("Huh," says Joe. "Two Irishmen wawk inta a milk bawh." "Watchit," warns Sally. "I don' like t'em Irish jokes." "No," insists Joe. "It's right heah inna papeh....")

In Greenpoint, 3000 residents turned out in force yesterday to see off 300 local boys to the Armed Forces. Well-wishers packed the entire block along Nassau Avenue between Oakland and Newell Streets, in front of the headquarters of the Greenpoint Patriotic League, while a 55-piece WPA band played "The Stars and Stripes Forever," "It's A Long Way To Tipperary," and other appropriate selections. A hundred boys fell in for a military march, led by three-year-old William Higney of 669 Manhattan Avenue, who paced the marchers with a baby-sized baton.

Charging that anti-labor propaganda is being spread among members of the Armed Forces, Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt today called on labor and the American people to fight back against such influences. Citing instances of servicemen claiming that certain goals could not be achieved because of strikes, the First Lady declared, "now that isn't true. But who started those stories? That's a hard thing to find out. It is awfully easy to propagandize, and there are awfully clever people doing it. For the sake of our country, we should do all that we can to beat this propaganda." Mrs. Roosevelt was among eleven participants in a round-table discussion of "Women Workers and War Production," sponsored in Manhattan by the Young Women's Christian Association.

The former president of the Kings County Bar Association asserted yesterday that "Mayor LaGuardia has too much power." Attorney Frank Serri made the statement last night in a speech to members of the YMCA, Bedford Avenue branch. Mr. Serri made reference in his remarks to the Mayor's recent assertion, made in connection with Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen's probe of gambling racketeering among police, that local magistrates have thrown too many cases out of court.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

(Thanks for clearing that up.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(6).jpg

(What, no ammonium nitrate? My mother doesn't make it that way!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(7).jpg
(Get a load of the Phils attendance -- 1893 paid, with 596 servicemen on passes. No wonder Mr. Nugent has to sell off his talent to stay in business. Which reminds me, Mr. MacPhail, what about this Litwhiler kid?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(8).jpg

(That beginner Zero Mostel figures to be one to watch.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(1).jpg

(So I guess the tank corps is out.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(2).jpg

(Watch it, tinpot. Keep it under 35!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(3).jpg

(Thomas Manville, Attorney at Law.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(4).jpg

(Wing collar? Carnation in the lapel? Is John the Governor, or the Chief Floorwalker?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(5).jpg

("Flake off, Irwin -- can't you see I'm reading 'Terry and the Pirates?'")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

Jeez, you sent two reporters out on the Flynn story, and neither one of them could crawl thru a ventilation duct and snap a picture in the jury room? You're slipping, News.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(1).jpg

Mr. Siegel has been waiting for years for a chance to use that line.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(2).jpg

(Dramatic musical sting!)

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(3).jpg

Are there any hypnotists who *aren't* shady?

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(4).jpg

I was kinda hoping they'd throw him into the sea, but I guess this'll do.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(5).jpg

Our boy's all grown up.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(6).jpg

Keep Our City Clean!

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(7).jpg

Wait'll you try to buy a girdle.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(8).jpg

It's not the menu, it's the atmosphere.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(9).jpg
Does Bungle know you're stealing his catchphrase?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

("Huh," says Joe. "Two Irishmen wawk inta a milk bawh." "Watchit," warns Sally. "I don' like t'em Irish jokes." "No," insists Joe. "It's right heah inna papeh....")

If I'm following the new draft guidelines correctly, Joe should be 3B (smart move getting out of the the pickle factory and over to Sperry) and Sally will count as a dependent, but while we know he didn't do it for this reason, Leonora might be considered a dependent brought on board to avoid the draft.

It's nice again to see a story closed, as we do today with the milk and pastry thieves, but that sounded like the ending of a Preston Sturges movie.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

(Thanks for clearing that up.)

One assume this only applies to newly purchases clothing, which raises the question of how will it be enforced other than at the clothing stores themselves?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(7).jpg

(Get a load of the Phils attendance -- 1893 paid, with 596 servicemen on passes. No wonder Mr. Nugent has to sell off his talent to stay in business. Which reminds me, Mr. MacPhail, what about this Litwhiler kid?)

It had to feel as if they were playing to an empty stadium. Apparently, despite being in last year's World Series, the Dodgers don't draw as the visiting team. I know it's a different league, but do the '42 Yankees draw as an away team?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(2).jpg

(Watch it, tinpot. Keep it under 35!)

I'm confused, is Invisible Scarlett still inside the robot as she looks outside of it in panels one and two? If so, how'd she get out? I am proactively avoiding all the easy puns.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(5).jpg

("Flake off, Irwin -- can't you see I'm reading 'Terry and the Pirates?'")

Sure, spy rings always keep complete lists of their spies lying around at their headquarters. I'm guessing the Abwehr understood about cells.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_.jpg

Jeez, you sent two reporters out on the Flynn story, and neither one of them could crawl thru a ventilation duct and snap a picture in the jury room? You're slipping, News.

"James Clark the Grand Jury warden said the signs had been concealed 'by authority of Mr. Foley and Mr. Flynn'."

These guys are lying scumbags. I hope they nail Flynn, but it feels like he'll use his power to wiggle out of it.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(2).jpg

(Dramatic musical sting!)

It is ridiculous how excited I am to see the Dragon Lady again.

And, yes, our friend Harp picked the perfect leitmotif for her.

Daily_News_Sat__Apr_25__1942_(3).jpg

Are there any hypnotists who *aren't* shady?

Maybe they don't all start out that way, but it's the quickest way to turn their talents into a buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21