Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

This appears to be the full toy (from eBay):
s-l1600-13.jpg

eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3253146097...XH-GwB9aWQNLS2Irx9p3bHA2o4bpITisaAifrEALw_wcB

Here's another one with a pretty good description of how it works:
cat-1090_014_0.jpg

https://www.theriaults.com/american...nical-toys-little-orphan-annie-and-sandy-marx

Maybe Annie and Sandy were sold separately - could be.

I can think of dozens of ways to torture my mother/siblings/babysitters with those.

What I want now, though, is the windup Daddy Warbucks that gets down on his knees and cringes until windup Punjab rescues him.

"What I want now, though, is the windup Daddy Warbucks that gets down on his knees and cringes until windup Punjab rescues him."

That's wrong, but very funny.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_.jpg

(Rifling a draft board's files to find somebody? Hey Annie, see what you started?)

A report from a Finnish war correpondent confirms that a Finnish motorized battalion is among the Axis forces attacking Stalingrad, despite denials from the Finnish legation in the United States that that nation's forces were participating in the battle. The report published in the September 9th edition of the Helsingfers newspaper Ajan Suunta acknowledges the presence of Finnish forces at the battle as "a plain fact," and further states that "the Red Army men are fighting against us with unexpected stubbornness." A report from Soviet war correspondent Ilya Ehrenbourg, citing the Finnish report, asserts that Finland is "conscripting old men and cripples, preparing with their German masters to storm Leningrad," and charges that talk of a separate peace with Finland is "nothing but a smokescreen, behind which preparations are made for the assault." The official Nazi Party newspaper Volkischer Beobachter declares that Finland is Germany's "shield in the Northeast."

Allied fighters and medium bomber planes are subjecting Japanese invasion forces to shattering attacks along the entire 60 mile stretch from Buna on the northern New Guinea coast to Kokoda in the Owen Stanley Mountains. Bombs, cannon shells, and machine-gun bullets raked Japanese shipping, buildings, gun batteries , ammunition dumps, and supply lines in four separate raids during which no enemy plane rose in challenge.

The manager of the Democratic state campaign asserted today that Attorney General John J. Bennett's inroads upon the upstate stronghold of Republican gubernatorial candidate Thomas E. Dewey are causing "a state of jitters" within the G. O. P. camp. Campaign manager Vincent Dailey made his comments in a statement replying to comments by his Republican counterpart, Republican State Chairman Edwin F. Jaeckle arguing that the Democratic party is claiming upstate increases due to fears over their base of support in New York City. "The extravagant Democratic claims upstate," claimed Mr. Jaeckle, "are due to their fear of heavy losses in New York City." In 1938, Mr. Dewey won the upstate counties by a plurality of 619,000 votes, and Jaeckle predicted that he will exceed that total in 1942.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(1).jpg

(If you don't like double chins, kid, you won't want to meet any Hollywood moguls.)

A Presidential order may be issued soon imposing a nationwide highway speed limit of 35 miles per hour, according to the director of the Office of Defense Transportation. Addressing the annual convention of the National Association of Chiefs of Police at the Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan yesterday, Director Joseph B. Eastman urged police to strictly enforce such a regulation if it is declared, cautioning them to expect trouble from "war workers who have a tendency to regard traffic rules and regulations with considerable indifference." Mr. Eastman made his prediction even as the New York State speed limit was officially lowered, effective immediately, from 45 to 40 miles per hour by order of the State War Council at Albany.

Brooklyn's junkmen are dismayed to find themselves "at the short end of the horn of plenty" despite the intensive hunt for scrap metal during the present scrap drive. Sanitation trucks and volunteer salvage teams are offering stiff competition for junkmen in corralling scrap metal, and the dealers are complaining that it is unprofitable for them to send out their trucks to collect small loads. The dealers also complain that women "ask too much" for their scrap when, after smelting, it yields only a small profit. One dealer asserted that he receives only $10 a ton for "unprepared scrap" in the form of old boilers, gas stoves, and other household metal, and asking fifty cents for 20 pounds of loose iron, as some housewives do, is out of the question.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(2).jpg

(Even those cone-shaped cups made from thin envelope paper you get in the gas station bathroom? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?)

Brooklyn's 6758 Girl Scouts will soon hit the streets to take orders in their eighth annual cookie sale, with a quota of twenty boxes to be sold by each girl. The proceeds from the sale will as always be used to fund general operation for the borough's scout troops, as girls from 7 to 17 turn increasingly to the Scouting program as a way of helping their community and country in the war effort. Orders will be taken beginning October 1st, and deliveries will begin October 26th, with the sale continuing thru November. The chairman of the sale, Mrs. William H. McLeer, notes that there are presently 1435 Brooklyn girls on the waiting list to become Girl Scouts, because the present troops lack sufficient leaders and facilities to handle them.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(3).jpg

(For some reason I really want to see Gypsy do a bit with Clifton Webb.)

City Council Majority Leader Joseph Sharkey today accused Mayor LaGuardia of using his weekly "Talk To The People" broadcast over WNYC to plug the commercial interests of his friends, after the Mayor announced the formation of a "Mayor's Engineering Advisory Committee for Fuel Conservation." That committee will provide free or low cost advice and guidance on converting oil burning furnaces to other fuels, but Councilman Sharkey charged that by establishing that panel and advertising it on the air, the Mayor is undercutting the businesses of the 522 licensed oil burner servicemen in the city.

The Eagle Editorialist sniffs at the loyalty of baseball fans in St. Louis, asking if any Brooklynite ever heard of a city less deserving of a pennant winner than the home of the Cardinals? "When the Cards came back from their amazing road trip," he notes, "there were 15 people, besides the players' wives, waiting to greet them. And fewer than 5000 fans turned to see their game, a day on which 15,000 Brooklyn fans flocked to Ebbets Field to see the Dodgers."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(4).jpg

(Mr. Lichty is this week on a real Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before kick.)

An original member of the "Dead End Kids" on Broadway has died in an automobile accident in Bedford, Massachusetts. Charles Duncan, who was 22, originated the role of "Spit" in the original 1935 play, and continued in the role until January 1936, when he was replaced by Leo Gorcey, who would go on to play the role in the 1937 movie adaptation. Mr. Duncan also had several motion picture roles to his credit, but his theatrical career was interrupted in 1940 when he joined the Army. He was returning to his station when he hitched a ride in a car which subsequently struck a telephone pole. Death was said to be instantaneous.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(5).jpg

("You been innat phone boot' f' two houehs!" yells Joe, pounding on the door as an impatient line stretches from one side of the candy store to another. "An' Leonoreh's hungry an' she spit out alla beets!" "Lemme 'lone," yells back Sally, dropping another nickel in the slot and dialing MAin 4-1030 with a vengeance. "I'm gonna tellat MacPhail wheah t'get off iffit takes awl day! H'lo? Izzis McDonal' again? PUTCHA BAWSS ON, YA BUM! I KNOW HE'S IN TOWN, IT SEZ INNA PAPEH! YEAH, HE KNOWS ME! PUTTIM ON!" "Bum bye," fusses Leonora from the carriage at Joe's side. "Bum bye!")

The Little World Series begins tomorrow night in Columbus, Ohio, as the American Association champion Redbirds, top farm club of the St. Louis Cardinals, take on the International League champion Syracuse Chiefs, farm club of the Cincinnati Reds. The Chiefs won the IL pennant on the strength of a ten-inning 9-8 victory over the Jersey City Giants last night.

The third shift at the Sperry Gyroscope Company's Bush Terminal plant went on record as 100 percent Dodger Fans, by sending in their names in bulk to the Eagle's Dodger Booster Club. All fifty-eight workers on that shift signed a pledge of unstinting support for the ball club.

Broadcaster Connie Desmond, who will call all games of the Football Dodgers both home and away for a beer sponsor starting next month, is an Ohio boy whose football spieling has, so far, been confined only to the Big Ten. But New York audiences go to know him this summer when he joined Mel Allen on the Yankee and Giant broadcasts over WOR. His husky frame and regular-guy personality frequently causes autograph seekers to mistake him for one of the players. However, his only sport these days is golf, where he is said to shoot in the low 70s.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(6).jpg

(Funny, he doesn't look Aryan.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(7).jpg

(Three gallons in that bus? You'll be lucky to make it to the next block.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(8).jpg

("Strychnine, huh?" says Fake Moustache Nazi Spy Guy. "'Scuse me while I run down to the drugstore.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(9).jpg

(See how it all ties together?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_.jpg
Well, to be honest, Tommy, I don't get the sense you're any great shakes at it yourself.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(1).jpg

For your sake, Mr. Sayers, I hope that's not your real name and address.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(2).jpg

"The beads are pure radium. She'll be dead in a week! AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW."

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(3).jpg

"You'll need it."

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(4).jpg

"I mean, eight years of medical school, an internship, a residency -- all that was for naught!"

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(5).jpg

Thankgawd for high waisted pants.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(6).jpg

Wait'll the War Labor Board hears about this!

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(7).jpg

"Oops! Never mind!"

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(8).jpg

Run for it, kid, while you still can.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(9).jpg

"Revenge?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(1).jpg

(If you don't like double chins, kid, you won't want to meet any Hollywood moguls.)

Any idea what the heck is really going on here?

Brooklyn's 6758 Girl Scouts will soon hit the streets to take orders in their eighth annual cookie sale, with a quota of twenty boxes to be sold by each girl. The proceeds from the sale will as always be used to fund general operation for the borough's scout troops, as girls from 7 to 17 turn increasingly to the Scouting program as a way of helping their community and country in the war effort. Orders will be taken beginning October 1st, and deliveries will begin October 26th, with the sale continuing thru November. The chairman of the sale, Mrs. William H. McLeer, notes that there are presently 1435 Brooklyn girls on the waiting list to become Girl Scouts, because the present troops lack sufficient leaders and facilities to handle them.

I assume, like today, they buy them wholesale, but still, with sugar rationing, I'm surprised they are having a cookie sale at all.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(3).jpg

(For some reason I really want to see Gypsy do a bit with Clifton Webb.)

I'd go to see Mrs. Miniver alone, but I bet Edward Arnold is entertaining in person; Laughton probably is too. While I wouldn't expect Gypsy to do a full strip, I'd be disappointed if a token article or two of clothing didn't find its way off her body.

The Eagle Editorialist sniffs at the loyalty of baseball fans in St. Louis, asking if any Brooklynite ever heard of a city less deserving of a pennant winner than the home of the Cardinals? "When the Cards came back from their amazing road trip," he notes, "there were 15 people, besides the players' wives, waiting to greet them. And fewer than 5000 fans turned to see their game, a day on which 15,000 Brooklyn fans flocked to Ebbets Field to see the Dodgers."

What do sour grapes look like.

("You been innat phone boot' f' two houehs!" yells Joe, pounding on the door as an impatient line stretches from one side of the candy store to another. "An' Leonoreh's hungry an' she spit out alla beets!" "Lemme 'lone," yells back Sally, dropping another nickel in the slot and dialing MAin 4-1030 with a vengeance. "I'm gonna tellat MacPhail wheah t'get off iffit takes awl day! H'lo? Izzis McDonal' again? PUTCHA BAWSS ON, YA BUM! I KNOW HE'S IN TOWN, IT SEZ INNA PAPEH! YEAH, HE KNOWS ME! PUTTIM ON!" "Bum bye," fusses Leonora from the carriage at Joe's side. "Bum bye!")

Oh Sally.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(6).jpg

(Funny, he doesn't look Aryan.)

Gee, maybe you should have had a gun on the big strong guy before you untied him. Just a thought.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_.jpg

Well, to be honest, Tommy, I don't get the sense you're any great shakes at it yourself.

"Tell you what, I'll go a big step further and grant you a divorce today on the condition you both agree to never remarry."

If the judge is successful in setting that precedent, it should be employed in at least half of the Page Four divorce cases we see in the future.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(3).jpg

"You'll need it."

Hire Snipe. She seemed to like farm work more than office work and she'd be close to her sweetie.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(7).jpg

"Oops! Never mind!"

If successful, credit Rouge for a strategy the others didn't try. Truly, God bless her if she goads him into bed with her.

Daily_News_Wed__Sep_23__1942_(8).jpg

Run for it, kid, while you still can.

"Umm, excuse me, Frizzle Head, where do you think you are going?"
"Well, Dick, I thought I drive back into town with you."
"Okay, but if there's a girl named Tess waiting when we get back, don't be too familiar with me."
"No problem, a lot of guys ask me to do that."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_.jpg

("'At's right," yells Sally into the payphone mouthpiece, as Joe leans outside the phone booth paging thru the latest issue of "Captain Marvel Adventures" while gently rocking Leonora's carriage with his toe. "I wanna apply f'tat job ya advehtised. Whattaya mean what job, t'job onna front pagea t'Eagle! Yeah! T'at job! T'name is Sally S. Petrauskas. P-E-T-R-A-U-S-K-A-S. F'm Eas' Flatbush. Yeah! Grew up six blocks f'm Ebbets Feel. Erasmus classa toity-one! Yeah. Look, MacPhail knows me. Ask him. He'll tell ya. I'd be poifec' f'tat job. Whattaya mean it ain' no job for a woman? How'bout'tat Grace Comiskey in Chicageh? Or t'at Effa Manley t'ey had inna papeh t'utteh day -- oveh t' Newehk? Yeah. WELL I WOULD TOO! I wouldn'a traded a good secon' baseman f'zample! YEAH! You SEEN how he's been hittin' lately? BETTER'NAT OL' MAN HOIMAN! Hello? HELLO? Joe! Gimme anot'eh nickel, 'at McDonal' has got some NOIVE hangin' up on his nex' BOSS!")

Civilian meat consumption will be cut by an average of 21 percent under new regulations announced today by the Food Requirements Committee of the War Production Board. The announcement of the limits in delivery of meat to retailers for civilian sale were accompanied by an appeal to civilians to voluntarily limit their consumption of meat to 2 1/2 pounds per person per week until the implementation of full rationing. That step may be taken within the next three weeks, according to WPB Food Division chief Fred S. Scott, who indicated that consumers should expect meat rationing to begin "within the next 15 to 20 days," in order to ensure that there is sufficient meat available for military use.

Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson has opened an investigation into the financial arrangements for the heavyweight boxing championship bout between Sgt. Joe Louis and Pvt. Billy Conn, scheduled for October 12th. The Secretary did not specify the exact elements of the bout's finances to be probed, but it is believed that the investigation will revolve around arrangements announced yesterday by which the fighters will receive a share of the proceeds of the fight. It had originally been agreed that all proceeds would go to the Army Emergency Relief fund. Secretary Stimson made his announcement of the investigation by the War Department after Congressman Donald L. O'Toole (D-Brooklyn) yesterday requested a full Congressional inquiry into the fight, alleging that Louis and Conn, as members of the Army, are being shown special favoritism, and that the Army is making "a mockery of the war" by allowing the bout. Rep. O'Toole further called for a ban on all football games, prize fights, and theatrical performances in order to compel the people to devote their full attention to "the successful termination of the war."

More than 800 persons meeting under the auspices of the Brooklyn Council of the American Jewish Congress demanded last night that Mayor LaGuardia order a thorough investigation of the vandalism which wrecked a three-room salvage station set up in Flatbush by a member of the Council. A resolution adopted by the Council condemned "the failure of authorities in the Borough of Brooklyn and the City of New York to apprehend the vandals" as "a dangerous dereliction of duty," with speakers pointing out that police have made no effort to find fingerprints left behind by the vandals. Harry Minsky, the chairman of the Flatbush Congress House, which maintained the salvage station at 1617 E. 16th Street, said that intruders broke into the station sometime between 2 and 6pm on Saturday September 6th, gaining entry by smashing a window. The vandals, Mr. Minsky stated, destroyed a ping pong table and a juke box, poured "a sticky substance" into a typewriter, stole membership cards, and painted swastikas on the walls. Mr. Minsky added that additional swastikas were painted on the walls in a second raid on the night of September 8th. He charged that detectives at the Sheepshead Bay station showed no interest in investigating the crime, and took no fingerprints, despite the area around the station being well known as "a stamping ground of the Christian Front." State Senator Daniel Gutman, speaking at the meeting, declared the attacks as "obviously premeditated," and expressed shock that "10 months after Pearl Harbor there are still people who will go out with paints and tools and materials of destruction to destroy a place dedicated to winning the war. That," he declared, "is treason!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(2).jpg

("BUM BEET!" spits Leonora. "BUM BEET BYE!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(3).jpg

(Actually, the real hepcats preferred Count Basie or Jimmie Lunceford, but whatever...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(4).jpg

(Sally would never agree, but the rest of us will have to admit that Laughing Larry, for all his flaws, is the one man most responsible for making the Dodgers what they are today, in 1942, and in the decades to come. He took a moldy and insolvent joke of a team, and made it one of the marquee franchises in all of professional sports. And if he ever gets within a mile of Berlin...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(5).jpg

(And you don't even have to pay the bill!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(6).jpg

(Yeah, why couldn't we have gone on a hot tear a month ago? And c'mon, I wanna hear the story of why MacPhail banned Parrott! Who could ban Parrott? He's lovable!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(7).jpg

(OK, now's the time for Bill to show up with a rake.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(8).jpg

("Plus he didn't even ask for my ration book. Oh well, count your blessings...")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(9).jpg

("Oh yeah, like that isn't a problem on EVERY TYPEWRITER.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(10).jpg

(Hey Annie, wanna give this kid some pointers?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_.jpg

Well this is an interesting development. Wonder what else she remembers.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(1).jpg

Don't mess with Butch.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(2).jpg

And look, here's Tracy right back where he belongs.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(3).jpg

What, again? Didn't she just HAVE a baby?

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(4).jpg

NO MORE FOOTBALL GAMES! NO MORE PRIZE FIGHTS! NO MORE THEATRICAL PERFORMANCES! And you in the back, put down that paddle game thing with the rubber ball and the elastic!

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(5).jpg

"I wonder if Wilmer's been thrown out of the Army yet? Maybe he could help."

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(6).jpg

"Nah, she said she might need it again someday. Hey, did you notice she's gettin' kinda fat since Pa went away. Wonder what that's all about."

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(7).jpg
"I'm no iron man." Well, he said it, I didn't.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(8).jpg

One day, Kayo will be a very wealthy man.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(9).jpg

"Wonder what it would take to bring back the bank robbers?"

("'At's right," yells Sally into the payphone mouthpiece, as Joe leans outside the phone booth paging thru the latest issue of "Captain Marvel Adventures" while gently rocking Leonora's carriage with his toe. "I wanna apply f'tat job ya advehtised. Whattaya mean what job, t'job onna front pagea t'Eagle! Yeah! T'at job! T'name is Sally S. Petrauskas. P-E-T-R-A-U-S-K-A-S. F'm Eas' Flatbush. Yeah! Grew up six blocks f'm Ebbets Feel. Erasmus classa toity-one! Yeah. Look, MacPhail knows me. Ask him. He'll tell ya. I'd be poifec' f'tat job. Whattaya mean it ain' no job for a woman? How'bout'tat Grace Comiskey in Chicageh? Or t'at Effa Manley t'ey had inna papeh t'utteh day -- oveh t' Newehk? Yeah. WELL I WOULD TOO! I wouldn'a traded a good secon' baseman f'zample! YEAH! You SEEN how he's been hittin' lately? BETTER'NAT OL' MAN HOIMAN! Hello? HELLO? Joe! Gimme anot'eh nickel, 'at McDonal' has got some NOIVE hangin' up on his nex' BOSS!")
AggravatingAnimatedHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(7).jpg

(OK, now's the time for Bill to show up with a rake.)

If Dan's going to dress like Don Johnson from "Miami Vice" forty years ahead of time, he should also have a gun strapped in an leg holster like Don Johnson did for situations just like this.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_.jpg

Well this is an interesting development. Wonder what else she remembers.

I assume the police are now taking a second look into the circumstances of her husband's "suicide," as the betting line on her having killed him just shot up to even money.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(3).jpg

What, again? Didn't she just HAVE a baby?

Is it really that hard for a paper to publish these in the correct order?

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(5).jpg

"I wonder if Wilmer's been thrown out of the Army yet? Maybe he could help."

Annie in charge of her troops, Nina running the farm, Invisible Scarlett, half the women in "Terry and the Pirates," there's a surprising amount of girl power in 1942 comicstrips.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(6).jpg

"Nah, she said she might need it again someday. Hey, did you notice she's gettin' kinda fat since Pa went away. Wonder what that's all about."

"When did your Dad go in?"
"He enlisted right after Pearl."
"Hmm, and your Mom is just now gaining weight."
"It's probably all the butter and milk she's getting as the milkman's always at our house."
"Oh."

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(7).jpg

"I'm no iron man." Well, he said it, I didn't.

Just keep on goading, Sister.

Daily_News_Thu__Sep_24__1942_(8).jpg

One day, Kayo will be a very wealthy man.

Yes he will. Many financial scams have been built on just this principal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_.jpg

(Not so fast with those trolley tracks -- how long can you keep the buses running?)

Rationing officials are today considering a point system for rationing meat instead of the coupon system used for the distribution of sugar. Under this plan, the scarcity or abundance of any given type and cut of meat for any particular week would control the point value of that product for rationing purposes. For example, if hogs were scarce and cattle plentiful, pork would be rated at that time with a higher ration point requirement than beef. Such a plan, according to the Office of Price Administration, "has an excellent chance of being adopted." Universal ration books, which went to the printers last week, could be used under either system. These books will be distributed in December or early next year. Meanwhile, OPA officials are finishing work on the final draft of orders reducing the amount of meat reaching the civilian market by 21 percent. Under that plan, deliveries of lamb and mutton to retailers will be reduced by 5 percent, of beef and veal by 20 percent, and of pork by 25 percent from 1941 levels, effective next month.

A bitter verbal clash broke out today between State Senator Carmine J. Marasco (D-Brooklyn) and City Councilman Peter Cacchione (Communist-Brooklyn) as an incident in the court fight by the American Legion seeking to bar Communist candidates from the fall ballot. Senator Marasco accused Councilman Cacchione of "trying to stir up class feeling," and of insulting Italian-Americans by referring to them as "a minority group." The incident occured as a result of a letter sent by Cacchione to the Senator, urging his support of efforts to protect those who sign nomination petitions for Communist candidates from "terrorization," and stated that, "as Italian-Americans are a minority group in the United States, we must jealously guard democratic rights for all groups in order to protect democratic rights for ourselves." Senator Marasco retorted that Italian-Americans are themselves members of the "majority group of good, loyal, patriotic citizens," and declared that Governor Lehman and Attorney General Bennett "need no urging" to protect the right to a free ballot.

Japan and Germany issued parallel communiques emphasizing the close collaboration of the Axis fleets in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, asserting that German and Japanese submarines are working in concert against Allied ships in both sectors. Reliable British sources acknowledged the possibility of Japanese subs operating in Atlantic waters, but disclaimed any presence of Japanese surface craft in that sector. Allied authorities in London dismissed the communiques as "a propaganda gesture."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(1).jpg

("FEAR NOT YOUNG HEW-MON, I SHALL PROTECT YOU FROM ALL HARM.")

Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine denied today that nothing has been done to track down the vandals responsible for painting swastikas and destroying furnishings and equipment at a Flatbush scrap depot operated by the Brooklyn Unit of the American Jewish Congress. The Commissioner, replying to charges made this week by speakers at a mass meeting of the AJC, declared that the investigation has been "hampered by a lack of clues," and asserted that "there were no visible signs of forced entry" at the building. He also denied that no effort has been made to gather fingerprint evidence from the crime scene, stating that a detective of the Brooklyn Photograph Gallery examined the site and found "no fingerprints of persons who may be responsible."

An alleged copy of a recent speech by Nazi Minister of Armaments Dr. Albert Speer received by Allied dipomatic sources in Washington states that Germany must win the war in Russia by the end of October -- or consider that war lost. That statement, coupled with recent strenuous efforts by the German Government to obtain labor and military strength from the occupied countries stimulated belief in diplomatic circles that Germany is faced with an increasingly severe shortage of manpower. It is expected in Allied circles that the continued strong resistance by the Soviet Union will force ever-stricter conscription of military and labor forces in both Germany and the occupied countries.

Between 30 and 40 gasoline ration books were stolen last night from the OPA branch office at 1130 St. Nicholas Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Police say the thieves gained access to the office by forced entry.

Employers with workers they consider essential to the war effort should waste no time in submitting applications for deferrment to their local draft boards, warns New York Selective Service Director Col. Arthur V. McDermott. Every local board is now reviewing the cases of all men classified 3-A and 3-B, and employers have been warned not to take those deferrments for granted, or to assume that any or all of those men will remain deferred for the duration. Colonel McDermott told a convention of the Federal Druggists Association, meeting at the Hotel Biltmore, that he has encountered "remarkable ignorance" from employers failing to understand the urgency of the present situation.

("Ya essential, ain'cha Joe?" queries Sally. "Ya betta tell'm ya essential. I'll write a letteh t't'at Mr. Gillmoeh runsa place. I'll tell'm ya essential." "Aw, t'ey know I'm essential," demurs Joe. "I was late gett'n back t'my bench f'm a break yest'day, anney senna guy lookin f'me. An' ya know what, t'ey sayin' a bunch of us might get moved t'Bush Toiminal soon -- onna day shif'! Oh, I'm essential, don' worrey none about'tat.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(2).jpg

("Hey Bo! Hey Sandy! Lookit me! All it takes is a walk-on in "Dick Tracy," and the endorsements start rolling in! They're even gonna enter me for "Miss Rheingold!")

Glenn Miller and his boys will appear on the "Spotlights Bands" program over WJZ tomorrow night -- the band's final radio performance before Captain Miller goes on active duty with the Army Air Corps.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(3).jpg

(YEAH, WHY?)

An alleged burglar, whose tools included a telephone directory and a dog, pleaded guilty yesterday before County Judge John J. Fitzgerald to charges of attempted burglary in the third degree. Thirty year old Arthur Taranto of 196 Sackett Street was arrested on a charge of taking $25 in cash and $3 in war stamps from the 35 Crown Street apartment of Mrs. Lillian Rubens on May 28th. Police charged that Taranto would go into the foyers of apartment buildings, note the names on the mail boxes, look the names up in his telephone book, and call to see if any of them were home. If any were not, he would walk up and down the street with his little white dog to create an appearance of innocence, and then saunter into the building and break into the apartment. The telephone book and the dog were with him when he was taken into custody. Judge Fitzgerald ordered Taranto held for sentencing, but no date was set.

A Flatbush motorcycle cop was kicked by a runaway horse as he wrestled the animal on Newkirk Avenue yesterday. Patrolman Nathan Horowitz of the 2nd Motorcycle Squad noted the horse being ridden along a bridal path parallel to Ocean Parkway when it stumbled and threw its rider, and ran off. Patrolman Horowitz purused the horse on his motorcycle and passed it near the intersection of Ocean Parkway and Newkirk Avenue. He dismounted the motorcycle in time to grab the horse's bridle, and while he attempted to bring the animal under control, he received a kick for his efforts.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(4).jpg

(The Navy? Forget it, Leo -- you can't argue with an admiral.)

There are more questions than answers surrounding Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson's order for an investigation into the financial aspects of the upcoming Louis-Conn fight for Army Emergency Relief, and not even noted radio answer man John Kieran can solve them. Kieran, know-it-all panelist on radio's "Information Please" and veteran sportswriter for the Times, chairs the Sportswriters' Committee administering the fight, and stated today that he doesn't "know what the shooting is all about." That Sportswriters' Committee voted last week to set aside $135,451.53 from the gate receipts to be divided between Louis and Conn, with the rest of the money going, as announced to Army Relief, and members noted that a full week passed before Secretary Stimson raised his objections. It is further noted that the Committee, in passing that vote, was assured that the War Department fully supported the plan, in view of the expected War Relief contribution in excess of $500,000. It has been discussed behind the scenes that Louis had been promised a "tax fight" to help him settle his Internal Revenue obligations after he donated his two previous purses to military relief funds. Louis has "been pushed around afterwards" following the transferring of the man who is said to have approved that idea to "a different job in Washington."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(5).jpg

("The Year's Most Successful Piece of Movie Tripe!" -- Herb Cohn, Eagle)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(6).jpg

(Bill would've been there first, but he tripped over the rake.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(7).jpg

("Because I thought the carnival left town weeks ago.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(8).jpg

("Criminology journals? Who needs 'em? I susbscribe to ESQUIRE!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(9).jpg

("I'm gonna need a bigger collar to hold all my medals!!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_.jpg

They had to go thru a hundred Lionel Atwill movie stills to find that one.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(1).jpg

In the Police Gazette, every page is Page Four. And "mostly in New England?" I don't doubt it for a second.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(2).jpg

Chester Gould trolls Mayor LaGuardia. Is that nice?

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(3).jpg

The 21st Century didn't invent irony.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(4).jpg

"Whew! I had no idea what to do next!"

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(5).jpg

The difference between Oliver Warbucks and Benjamin Gump is the difference between a private army and a private marching band.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(6).jpg

"NOW DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT ORGAN!" -- signed J. Reid Spencer, Brooklyn.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(7).jpg

"Harvest time? Already?"

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(8).jpg

Try it again, kid. I dare ya.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(9).jpg

At first I thought that was Mamie in bed there, and was really looking forward to the explanation.

A bitter verbal clash broke out today between State Senator Carmine J. Marasco (D-Brooklyn) and City Councilman Peter Cacchione (Communist-Brooklyn) as an incident in the court fight by the American Legion seeking to bar Communist candidates from the fall ballot. Senator Marasco accused Councilman Cacchione of "trying to stir up class feeling," and of insulting Italian-Americans by referring to them as "a minority group." The incident occured as a result of a letter sent by Cacchione to the Senator, urging his support of efforts to protect those who sign nomination petitions for Communist candidates from "terrorization," and stated that, "as Italian-Americans are a minority group in the United States, we must jealously guard democratic rights for all groups in order to protect democratic rights for ourselves." Senator Marasco retorted that Italian-Americans are themselves members of the "majority group of good, loyal, patriotic citizens," and declared that Governor Lehman and Attorney General Bennett "need no urging" to protect the right to a free ballot.

While the details are somewhat (but not totally) different, this argument has an oddly modern feel, especially in New York today where almost all political battles are amongst Democrats - left, farther left and much-farther left - and about defining sub-groups of people.

Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine denied today that nothing has been done to track down the vandals responsible for painting swastikas and destroying furnishings and equipment at a Flatbush scrap depot operated by the Brooklyn Unit of the American Jewish Congress. The Commissioner, replying to charges made this week by speakers at a mass meeting of the AJC, declared that the investigation has been "hampered by a lack of clues," and asserted that "there were no visible signs of forced entry" at the building. He also denied that no effort has been made to gather fingerprint evidence from the crime scene, stating that a detective of the Brooklyn Photograph Gallery examined the site and found "no fingerprints of persons who may be responsible."

Considering that there are probably a ton of fingerprints at the depot and a ton of people who go in it regularly, wouldn't it take a lot of demonstrable work before you could make the statement that "no fingerprints of persons who may be responsible [were found]." You'd have to dust for all the finger prints on site and then compare them with the fingerprints (you had to get) of all the people who had a legitimate reason to be there. That's a massive undertaking. I'm suspicious that was done.

Between 30 and 40 gasoline ration books were stolen last night from the OPA branch office at 1130 St. Nicholas Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Police say the thieves gained access to the office by forced entry.

Is Scarlett ever planing on catching One-Eye?

Employers with workers they consider essential to the war effort should waste no time in submitting applications for deferrment to their local draft boards, warns New York Selective Service Director Col. Arthur V. McDermott. Every local board is now reviewing the cases of all men classified 3-A and 3-B, and employers have been warned not to take those deferrments for granted, or to assume that any or all of those men will remain deferred for the duration. Colonel McDermott told a convention of the Federal Druggists Association, meeting at the Hotel Biltmore, that he has encountered "remarkable ignorance" from employers failing to understand the urgency of the present situation.

("Ya essential, ain'cha Joe?" queries Sally. "Ya betta tell'm ya essential. I'll write a letteh t't'at Mr. Gillmoeh runsa place. I'll tell'm ya essential." "Aw, t'ey know I'm essential," demurs Joe. "I was late gett'n back t'my bench f'm a break yest'day, anney senna guy lookin f'me. An' ya know what, t'ey sayin' a bunch of us might get moved t'Bush Toiminal soon -- onna day shif'! Oh, I'm essential, don' worrey none about'tat.")

Who is "essential" is driven as much by what happens at the front as by the work you do; just ask German workers now that the tide has changed in Stalingrad.

An alleged burglar, whose tools included a telephone directory and a dog, pleaded guilty yesterday before County Judge John J. Fitzgerald to charges of attempted burglary in the third degree. Thirty year old Arthur Taranto of 196 Sackett Street was arrested on a charge of taking $25 in cash and $3 in war stamps from the 35 Crown Street apartment of Mrs. Lillian Rubens on May 28th. Police charged that Taranto would go into the foyers of apartment buildings, note the names on the mail boxes, look the names up in his telephone book, and call to see if any of them were home. If any were not, he would walk up and down the street with his little white dog to create an appearance of innocence, and then saunter into the building and break into the apartment. The telephone book and the dog were with him when he was taken into custody. Judge Fitzgerald ordered Taranto held for sentencing, but no date was set.

A great example of someone who could clearly make an honest living if he wanted to.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(4).jpg

(The Navy? Forget it, Leo -- you can't argue with an admiral.)

I was thinking the same thing about MacPhail yesterday. It's not like business or sports; in the military, you do what the guy who outranks you says to do. I can't see either of those guys adjusting well to that environment.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(6).jpg

(Bill would've been there first, but he tripped over the rake.)

Gotta assume Mary called in the cavalry after the soup ruse.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(9).jpg

("I'm gonna need a bigger collar to hold all my medals!!")

"Oh please, you don't get a medal for accidentally wandering into a battlefield."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(2).jpg

Chester Gould trolls Mayor LaGuardia. Is that nice?

I don't know if Gould did this on purpose, but he's created a very real type in Frizzletop. She knows she's not going to out glamour the pretty girls, so she's become one of the guys. I've seen it done often and it works.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(4).jpg

"Whew! I had no idea what to do next!"

Just stay focused, Kid, and Rouge will all but land the plane for you.

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_25__1942_(8).jpg

Try it again, kid. I dare ya.

Agreed, that's a victory you pocket and then move on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_.jpg

("Wisht we cudda gon'a t'at show," sighs Joe. "I'da liked t'seen -- um -- " "Yeah," says Sally. "Edwa'd Awrnold. I'da like t'seen Edwa'd Awrnold." "Well, yeah," agrees Joe. "Ann'at Chawles Lawrt'n, too.")

The Police Department, stung by a warning from Mayor LaGuardia to "clean up the gambling situation or I'll clean *you* up," today prepared plans for a city-wide drive to close up gaming establishments and round up bookmakers and policy racketeers. At what he described as "a family discussion" at City Hall, the Mayor brandished letters from "wives and children of gambling breadwinners" and demanded action from 200 police officials ranging from Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine down thru inspectors, deputy inspectors, and lieutenants. Although the meeting was closed to reporters, its effect was immediately evident. When those attending filed out of the meeting, they were "unusually reticent" as they hurried to their desks, from which will come the orders to set in motion what may prove to be the city's largest campaign ever against gambling. It is stated that Commissioner Valentine followed the Mayor to the podium during the meeting and added his warning -- "I want your full cooperatioon in this duty -- or else!" The Mayor is reported to have arrived at the meeting carrying a large map of locations believed to house gambling centers.

Between 40 and 50 young men in trouble with the law have been sent to the Army by Kings County Judge Louis Goldstein since January, the judge himself revealed today, and in disclosing his policy, the jurist was careful to point out that he did not allow "habitual criminals or those accused of serious crimes" to use enlistment as a bargaining point to escape jail sentences. The Judge displayed a sheaf of letters from these young men, thanking him for the opportunity that they had been given. Most of the men were described as "first offenders," with Judge Goldstein indicating that only one of them had been in trouble before.

("'At remins me," notes Joe. "We ain' hadda letteh f'm y'brutteh lately." "He's too busy t'write lettehs," remarks Sally, without looking up. "Yeh," agrees Joe. "I 'magine he would be.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(1).jpg

("Where's that map," growls Butch. "I gotta make an addition.")

Joke of the week heard on WABC's "Stage Door Canteen" broadcast: did you hear the one about the Brooklyn girl who stays home darning? Darning the Cardinals!

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(2).jpg

(If you can't send James Cagney to Russia, breezy frank-talking Wendell Willkie is the next best thing.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(3).jpg

(THE PINBALL MENACE IS EVERYWHERE)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(4).jpg

(If only you coulda played like this in August. Hey Leo, forget about Newsom. Activate Fitz. We need him now more than ever.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(5).jpg

("How can we compete with Gypsy Rose Lee?" "Get Margie Hart." "But how can we compete with Bobby Clark?" "Get Jimmy Savo." "And how can we compete with that dog act?" "LOOK I'M NOT GONNA DO YOUR WHOLE JOB." "Yessir. Um, would you know who's representing "Swain's Rats and Cats?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(6).jpg

("Oh, and if you see some skinny old goof unconscious on the lawn, bring him along too. Watch out for the rake.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(7).jpg

("One Eye? Never heard of him. Sounds like you want old Froggy F. Frogwell. Yeah. Lives down by the swamp.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(8).jpg

(Guess "seawater into gasoline" wasn't such a good idea.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(9).jpg

("We're out of strychnine, and I'm saving the cyanide for that dummkopf Carl -- all right, arsenic it is!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_.jpg

Didn't see THAT coming.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(1).jpg

"Rose Perfect??"

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(2).jpg

SERVES YA RIGHT FOR GAMBLING!

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(3).jpg

"Youth -- On The March!"

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(4).jpg

I hate to disappoint ya, hon, but the older he gets, the pudgier he'll get.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(5).jpg

Ah, families.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(6).jpg
Not to be arch, but I bet that's the first shower Willie's had in five years.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(7).jpg

"Hey Pop! Did you hear? Aunt Pruny's back in town!"

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(8).jpg

Exactly what did you learn during all those years with Pat?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_.jpg

("Wisht we cudda gon'a t'at show," sighs Joe. "I'da liked t'seen -- um -- " "Yeah," says Sally. "Edwa'd Awrnold. I'da like t'seen Edwa'd Awrnold." "Well, yeah," agrees Joe. "Ann'at Chawles Lawrt'n, too.")

Cool example of an early and rudimentary surveillance camera.

The girl who set the fire in the church needs real help that one doubts she's going to get at the shelter.

The Police Department, stung by a warning from Mayor LaGuardia to "clean up the gambling situation or I'll clean *you* up," today prepared plans for a city-wide drive to close up gaming establishments and round up bookmakers and policy racketeers. At what he described as "a family discussion" at City Hall, the Mayor brandished letters from "wives and children of gambling breadwinners" and demanded action from 200 police officials ranging from Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine down thru inspectors, deputy inspectors, and lieutenants. Although the meeting was closed to reporters, its effect was immediately evident. When those attending filed out of the meeting, they were "unusually reticent" as they hurried to their desks, from which will come the orders to set in motion what may prove to be the city's largest campaign ever against gambling. It is stated that Commissioner Valentine followed the Mayor to the podium during the meeting and added his warning -- "I want your full cooperatioon in this duty -- or else!" The Mayor is reported to have arrived at the meeting carrying a large map of locations believed to house gambling centers.

Love to see the aggregated and individual Venn diagrams between those "gambling centers" and pharmacies, candy stores, tobacconists and ice-cream parlors.

("'At remins me," notes Joe. "We ain' hadda letteh f'm y'brutteh lately." "He's too busy t'write lettehs," remarks Sally, without looking up. "Yeh," agrees Joe. "I 'magine he would be.")

I don't know Joe, with the Dodgers still fresh, now might not be the time to poke the bear about its brother.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(1).jpg

("Where's that map," growls Butch. "I gotta make an addition.")

Sure it is illegal, but I see this as different from an organized gambling business.

When I used to commute by train, you'd see a few card games going on every night. Some of those guys rushed for the four seats that had a table between them, but others just brought a folding piece of cardboard that they'd rest on their knees and play. They made no attempt to hide what they were doing.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_-2.jpg

Didn't see THAT coming.

That's a wow. Looks like he let his personal anger get in the way of a good deal for everyone and a good morale booster. Also, it's stunning to see how the record radio rights are so small when sports, today, could play to empty arenas if it didn't (but it would) effect the broadcast rights.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(5).jpg

Ah, families.

She's such a nasty and miserable-to-be-around person that I enjoy "The Gumps" less when she's in it.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(6).jpg

Not to be arch, but I bet that's the first shower Willie's had in five years.

Are there no locks anywhere in this house?

Oh, and...
Daily_News_Sat__Sep_26__1942_(9).jpg

Some of these Junior Commando units aren't as disciplined as others.

What a 1942 Brooklyn story: truant children bring scrap metal for the war to Ebbets Field and then storm their way in to see the Dodgers as Juvenile Aid workers attempt, unsuccessfully, to coax the kids back to school.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_.jpg

("I t'ink we otta move t'radio away f'm t'windasill, is awl I'm sayin'," pleads Joe. "T'ey gettin' hawrd t'fine now, wit'ta wawr on." "We'll see," replies Sally, her mouth a hard line. "Bummmmmm," adds Leonora, from behind a large spit bubble.)

Allied forces using light artillery have forced Japanese outposts to abandon some forward positions in the Owen Stanley Mountains north of Port Moresby, General Douglas MacArthur said today. Heavy rains were reported around Iorwibaiwa, only 32 miles north of Moresby the important Australian outpost. Seasonal rains were expected to make conditions worse along the already muddy supply tracks, further hindering the Japanese attacks.

Premier Pierre Laval insisted tonight that his government is "very solid," and said that he will remain in office despite a day of rumors touched off by his dismissal of Jacques Benoist-Mechin, one of his closest associates. Laval issued a formal denial to French and foreign newspapermen that his government was about to fall, and revealed that he had determined not to "cede his place to another." "My task is heavy," he declared, "but I am firmly decided to go thru to the end." Laval further told the press that he is determined to go forward with his plans for shipping French labor to Germany and deporting foreign Jews from France, despite admitted criticism from Catholic circles, and rumors that he is "in difficulty" over both of these programs.

The first "Kaiser Special" carrying 511 New York men to build giant freight transport plans in the West Coast yards of Henry J. Kaiser pulled out of the Hoboken station of the Lackawanna Railroad yesterday. The workers will reach their destination, Portland, Oregon, in four days. They are making the trip on day coaches, and will receive their meals free. Five more trainloads of men will follow over the next week. Meanwhile, further registration of prospective Kaiser workers has been halted, but will resume Thursday or Friday at the U. S. Employment Offices at 205 Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn and 44 East 23rd Street in Manhattan.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(2).jpg

(Medwick got hit in the head two years ago and hasn't been the same since. And Reiser ran into a wall. And Camilli got old. And Cookie went in the Navy and Vaughan can't keep up. And Wyatt works too hard. And Higbe drinks too much. And Leo can't think straight because somebody wrote a mean story about him in a magazine. "AN' THEY TRADED PETEY" yells Sally. Right, and they traded Petey.)

Midshipman James Caras of 104 Avenue I is glad to be back home on leave after his first experience aboard a merchant ship, but he's looking forward to another voyage. Caras was adrift on a raft for several hours after his ship was torpedoed in the North Atlantic before he and the other survivors were picked up by a Canadian corvette. "There is nothing disappointing about going to sea in the Merchant Marine," he says. "The only disappointment is that when I left, the Dodgers were away out in front and I expected to come home and find them ready to win the World Series. But it looks as if they were torpedoed too."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(3).jpg

("I tell ya, Leo, I can do it," pleads a desperate Fred Fitzsimmons. "Just gimme th' ball!" "It's Hig," replies Leo, biting off the words, his eyes gazing at a point far past the horizon, as a disappointed Fred Fitzsimmons sinks to his seat on the bench.)

Having run out of welterweights fit to fight, Sugar Ray Robinson must now delve into the ranks of the middeweight division with a bout Friday night at Madison Square Garden against the formidable Jake LaMotta of the Bronx. When Robinson faces LaMotta he will be ceding nearly fifteen pounds to his opponent, with LaMotta weighing in at 157 or 158 in recent bouts, compared to Robinson's fighting weight of 144.

Old Timer Cecil Johnson remembers the days when the first movies came to Brooklyn, distributed by Charles Henri Oxenham of Halsey Street, and shown in rented halls by J. Stuart Blackton. "Many ran and did not walk to the exits when charging horses appeared in the distance and quickly grew to life size proportions."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(4).jpg

(READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE AND THEY DIDN'T SAY A THING ABOUT THE DOG.)

Jimmy Savo, foremost pantomimist not named Charlie Chaplin, will have a feverish glint in his eye as he lopes on stage at the Ambassador Theatre tomorrow night for the opening of "Wine, Women, and Song," opposite that "Poor Man's Garbo" Margie Hart. Savo's last big stage success was Rodgers and Hart's musical comedy "The Boys From Syracuse" in 1938, where his co-stars were somewhat less so.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(5).jpg

(Snarkiest Gun In The West.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(10).jpg

(Instead of "Private Lives" this week, we get this stupid ad. "Except for stains, of course." WELL THAT SURE SELLS ME!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(6).jpg

(Get used to it, bud.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(7).jpg

(Bill is already a better detective than Dan Dunn. Ever hear of somebody TAKING THEIR COAT OFF?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(8).jpg

(Comics' sure signs of an old coot -- a corn cob pipe and a Civil War hat.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(9).jpg

(Had Mr. Gandhi been born 80 years later, we would be awash in "Dancing Gandhi" memes.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_.jpg

"Notoriously open."

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(1).jpg

"Ummmm, I'd shore turner round fer Veronica Lake! Hyuk hyuk hyuk!"

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(3).jpg

Well ISN'T THIS COZY.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(4).jpg

Hey Kids! Try this on YOUR neighborhood bully!

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(5).jpg

Chester needs to take lessons from Annie.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(6).jpg

Light Dawns Over Marblehead.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(7).jpg

ANYTHING can happen in a Smilin' Jack Sunday Page!

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(8).jpg

Hey now, I always heard that as "find a PENNY pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck!" YOU BLEW IT, KID.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(9).jpg

And that's why Suzie Q left town with no forwarding address.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_27__1942_(10).jpg

Hey kid, why aren't you in the Junior Commandos? They could use talents like yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko