Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

Icthruu74

New in Town
As for Key West, its also interesting to remember that at the time it was a much more secluded location, more difficult to reach than it is today.

In "How it Was" by Mary Hemingway, she states that he continually "saw" FBI agents. Anyone in a suit was a fed. I am of the opinion that his fear of the FBI was more paranoia than real. His mental decline certainly played into this. You can only drink the way Hemingway did for so long before you suffer the consequences.

Connery

One Too Many
Pío Baroja (December 28, 1872 – October 30, 1956) was a Spanish Basque writer, one of the key novelists of the Generation of '98. "The Generation of '98 ( in Spanish, Generación del 98 or Generación de 1898) was a group of novelists, poets, essayists, and philosophers active in Spain at the time of the Spanish-American War (1898)."

U1325740INP.jpg

Novelist Ernest Hemingway is shown, October 15, 1956, at the bedside of noted Spanish writer Pio Nessi Barola, whom he visited on his recent trip to Spain. Among gifts Hemingway left with his friend was a book dedicated to Baroja with the words "To you, Don Pio who taught us so much when we were young and wished to be writers."

Last edited:

Corto

A-List Customer
Pío Baroja (December 28, 1872 – October 30, 1956) was a Spanish Basque writer, one of the key novelists of the Generation of '98. "The Generation of '98 ( in Spanish, Generación del 98 or Generación de 1898) was a group of novelists, poets, essayists, and philosophers active in Spain at the time of the Spanish-American War (1898)."

U1325740INP.jpg

Novelist Ernest Hemingway is shown, October 15, 1956, at the bedside of noted Spanish writer Pio Nessi Barola, whom he visited on his recent trip to Spain. Among gifts Hemingway left with his friend was a book dedicated to Baroja with the words "To you, Don Pio who taught us so much when we were young and wished to be writers."

I read Baroja's "The Restlessness of Shanti Andia". Fantastic book. Papa was right to pay him homage.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As for Key West, its also interesting to remember that at the time it was a much more secluded location, more difficult to reach than it is today.
Actually, I think access was much the same as today; land, sea and air. But you're right that Key West was much quieter during Hem's time there. Tourism and development dropped off drastically after the East Coast Railway went down in the hurricane of '35 and the big cruise ships didn't start showing up until the 70s.

Connery

One Too Many
I read Baroja's "The Restlessness of Shanti Andia". Fantastic book. Papa was right to pay him homage.

When Baroja died "family, friends, and writers attended his funeral. Ernest Hemingway was asked to be a pallbearer but declined, saying he felt unworthy of such an honor." It appears Baroja meant a great deal to Hemingway, so much so, that Hem felt humbled in such a manner.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Pío Baroja

Thank you so much for that poignant photo Connery! As it has already been mentioned, EH admired Baroja greatly, in fact he said that Baroja deserved the Nobel Prize more than himself!! What amazing words!

another shot of Ernest Hemingway visiting Pio Baroja on his deathbed that day.
17HemBaroja.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
Thank you so much for that poignant photo Connery! As it has already been mentioned, EH admired Baroja greatly, in fact he said that Baroja deserved the Nobel Prize more than himself!! What amazing words!

another shot of Ernest Hemingway visiting Pio Baroja on his deathbed that day.
17HemBaroja.jpg

Thank you for the photo Hadley. From your photo's aspect I can now see what he is doing, of course he is inscribing the book! My pea brain just could not figure that out.! To think Hemingway had just won the Nobel Prize and felt unworthy. I find that part of Hemingway striking.

Do you have any idea what book it was? I have been trying to find out.:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Do you have any idea what book it was? I have been trying to find out.:)

No idea. I can only guess, may be since in his writings on Spain, he was influenced by the Spanish master, these could be the books: Death in the Afternoon or The Sun Also Rises.

But who knows .... that's only a guess. [huh]

Connery

One Too Many
Has anyone here read the "restored" version of A Moveable Feast yet? I think I'll be getting it this Christmas and am wondering just how different this "Paulinecentric" edition is compared to the Mary Hemingway version.

This really looks good. Naturally Pauline will be softened as the editor is Sean Hemingway, the grandson of Ernest and Pauline. “I think this edition is right to set the record straight,” said Seán Hemingway, 42, who said Mary cut out Hemingway’s “remorse and some of the happiness he felt and his very conflicted views he had about the end of his marriage.” The new version of Pauline’s arrival in Hemingway’s life, titled “The Pilot Fish and the Rich,” and included in the additional Paris sketches, shows Hemingway taking more responsibility for his breakup with Hadley. While the 1964 edition casts him as Pauline’s victim, he shares the blame in the new version.

For the girl to deceive her friend was a terrible thing, but it was my fault and blindness that this did not repel me,” Hemingway writes in the new edition. “Having become involved in it and being in love I accepted all the blame for it myself and lived with the remorse.

28hemingway4.jpg

"An early typed draft of the foreword to Chapter 17 of “A Moveable Feast,” with emendations written by Ernest Hemingway"

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
This really looks good. Naturally Pauline will be softened as the editor is Sean Hemingway, the grandson of Ernest and Pauline. “I think this edition is right to set the record straight,” said Seán Hemingway, 42, who said Mary cut out Hemingway’s “remorse and some of the happiness he felt and his very conflicted views he had about the end of his marriage.” The new version of Pauline’s arrival in Hemingway’s life, titled “The Pilot Fish and the Rich,” and included in the additional Paris sketches, shows Hemingway taking more responsibility for his breakup with Hadley. While the 1964 edition casts him as Pauline’s victim, he shares the blame in the new version.

I recall Hemingway "confidante" A.E. Hotchner being against the new edition but that only added to the fascination of the entire project. A Moveable Feast has reached Rashomon-style proportions.

Connery

One Too Many
I recall Hemingway "confidante" A.E. Hotchner being against the new edition but that only added to the fascination of the entire project. A Moveable Feast has reached Rashomon-style proportions.

I could not agree with you more! This "new edition" should not be taken as the definitive version of the book. Just another perspective, a look from a different angle, so to speak. With the "discovery' of Hemigway's papers I do think this is welcomed, but, caution must be used when digesting this material.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I could not agree with you more! This "new edition" should not be taken as the definitive version of the book. Just another perspective, a look from a different angle, so to speak. With the "discovery' of Hemigway's papers I do think this is welcomed, but, caution must be used when digesting this material.

Right. Just as there's no definitive biography, there's not likely to be a memoir to end all memoirs, either. History's tricky that way...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
With another notable writer.

A uniformed Roald Dahl and Ernest Hemingway walking the streets of London, this picture taken in 1944.

Some background to this story... At the start of the second World War and prior to the bombing in Pearl Harbor, in their effort to recruit the US and the influential members of society into supporting and joining the war, the British government sent spies to the US. Roald Dahl was sent to the States in this campaign, under the guise of being a RAF British pilot.

tumblr_ln2lbvNK291qearaqo1_500.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
With another notable writer.

A uniformed Roald Dahl and Ernest Hemingway walking the streets of London, this picture taken in 1944.

Some background to this story... At the start of the second World War and prior to the bombing in Pearl Harbor, in their effort to recruit the US and the influential members of society into supporting and joining the war, the British government sent spies to the US. Roald Dahl was sent to the States in this campaign, under the guise of being a RAF British pilot.

Thanks Hadley!

This is a fascinating subject. I decided to read some more and while this does not mention Hemingway per se, I thought it was interesting nonetheless as he was involved as you pointed out.:)

"Britain badly needed to work its collective charm on America's opinion makers. Winston Churchill knew that U.S. intervention was essential to defeating Nazi Germany, but many Americans wanted no part of the war. So Churchill sent spies to discredit the isolationists and stir sympathy for joining the fight. The clandestine operation, known as the Rumor Factory...' The British spies were a romantic bunch who included the playwright Noel Coward and Fleming, the British naval intelligence officer who later created the James Bond novels. They referred to themselves as the Baker Street Irregulars, after the Sherlock Holmes stories, and the most irregular may have been Dahl, an RAF pilot and assistant air attaché in the British Embassy, who went on to write very clever, macabre short stories and hugely popular children's books ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory")."

The story goes on, "Dahl's most important conquest was Eleanor Roosevelt, whom he won not with sex but with his literary imagination. The First Lady had read a Dahl story to her grandchildren and asked him to dinner at the White House. Dahl was duly charming and soon found himself invited to Hyde Park for the Fourth of July, 1943. FDR, though, was not fooled. Dahl found the president mixing martinis. Glancing up, Roosevelt announced, "I've just had a very interesting cable from Winston." Conant writes: "It was Roosevelt's way of letting Dahl know that he was aware that he was reporting back to British intelligence."

Here is the link http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/08/29/a-spy-we-loved.html

Connery

One Too Many
Hemingway and The Bronze Star

"In a small ceremony in June 1947 at the U.S. embassy in Cuba, Hemingway was awarded a Bronze Star for his service as a war correspondent for having circulated "freely under fire in combat areas in order to obtain an accurate picture of conditions. Through his talent of expression, Mr. Hemingway enabled readers to obtain a vivid picture of the difficulties and triumphs of the front-line soldier and his organization in combat."

3321749066_2c6fe90ec8_b.jpg

eh-table-m.jpg

At the Hotel de la Mere Poularde, Mont-St.-Michel, in August 1944 are pictured (left to right) Bill Walton, Mme. Chevalier, Ernest Hemingway, an unidentified Signal Corps photographer, M. Chevalier, and Robert Capa.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
eh-table-m.jpg

At the Hotel de la Mere Poularde, Mont-St.-Michel, in August 1944 are pictured (left to right) Bill Walton, Mme. Chevalier, Ernest Hemingway, an unidentified Signal Corps photographer, M. Chevalier, and Robert Capa.

EH was like a mentor to R Capa! another great friend in the long list of friends!

Robert Capa (left) and Ernest Hemingway (right) pictured with their driver (centre) at Portland Naval base on the eve of the D-Day landings in June 1944
3512405481_0fc82d773c_z.jpg

On the 24th May 1944 Capa organised a party to celebrate Ernest Hemingway's arrival in London. After leaving the party in the early hours, the car in which Hemingway was travelling in was in collosion with a water tank. He was hospitalised with a bad cut to the head. Capa visited him and photographed him sat up in bed with his head bandaged.

friends in illness and in health.... sober or drunk lol
HEMINGWAYHOSPITAL.jpg

and here.... Robert Capa at a bar at Trail Creek Cabin, Ketchum, Idaho. Hemingway objected to Capa repeatedly photographing him drinking during a 'Life' magazine story assignment. After this altercation, Capa relented and gave Hemingway the entire roll of film to be destroyed.

for a photographer... just to give away his entire roll of film to be destroyed?? ..... WOW ... that shows how much Robert Capa respected Hem!;)
3240912.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto