Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

Connery

One Too Many
^^^^
Yikes...I wouldn't like those backless bar stools..but maybe that's just me....lol

I do not blame you.:)

^^^

Great info! Thank you for that Connery! :)

I am glad you like it.

This is a Al Hirschfeld Drawing of Harry's Bar (1958)

harrys_hirshfeld_cartoon.jpg

Hemingway is supposedly in there along with
BARBARA HUTTON
BENNETT CERF
BILLY ROSE
DOLLY HAAS
DOROTHY KILGALLEN
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
GARY COOPER
GIAN CARLO MENOTTI
JAMES D. ZELLERBACH
JOE DIMAGGIO
JOYCE MATTHEWS
KATHARINE HEPBURN
LEONARD LYONS
ORSON WELLES
PEGGY GUGGENHEIM
SYLVIA LYONS
TRUMAN CAPOTE
VALENTINA
WILLIAM DOZIER

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It would be a fun thread to have Loungers try to identify them. I think I got around half of them.

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
Yes it would. Al Hirschfeld has done many.

Here is another of Hemingway.

HemingwaybyHirschfeld.jpg

"Ernest Hemingway" Published November 1, 1950

Connery

One Too Many
Hemingway, Mussolini and Lice

"Hemingway was not working. He had given up his job with the Co-operative Commonwealth. He and his wife, Elizabeth, known as Hadley, lived only on her trust fund income, although Hemingway still submitted the occasional article to the Toronto Star. They lived frugally in order to save up for a trip to Europe and shortly after their marriage they left for Paris. By January 9th 1922 they were living in a fourth floor apartment at 74 rue du Cardinal Lemoine. Ernest wrote his family that he was living in the best part of the Latin Quarter, when in truth the apartment was squalid and sparsely furnished.

Hemingway set to work writing and working on a novel he'd boasted he started in Chicago. He visited Ezra Pound and Gertrude Stein in Paris with his wife. Both Pound and Stein were to be a very great influence on Hemingway's style of writing.

Hemingway, desperate to see the world went with Hadley to Italy. In Milan, Hemingway, with the aid of his Press Card arranged a meeting with Mussolini, the emergent leader of the Black Shirts."

Shortly after their return to Paris, Hemingway left for Constantinople to cover the war between Greece and Turkey. Hadley was furious and did not want him to go. He was away for three weeks covering the war and when he returned he was covered in bug bites and his hair was so lowsey his head had to be shaved. He brought back peace offerings for Hadley - a necklace of Ivory and one of Amber.

By now Hemingway had some slight notoriety both for his journalism and for his service in the ambulance corps and his first portrait was painted by Henry Strater. It was the first likeness of Hemingway to show the new moustache he had begun to cultivate."

hemingway-portrait1.jpg

Hemingway by Henry Strater (1896-1987) / Oil on panel, 1922/23

Connery

One Too Many
Christmas 1958

"Personal note from Hemingway and Mary to their good friend George Brown, his personal trainer and boxing coach. Not long after the opening of the film of THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA, and on a break from Cuba in his beloved mountain retreat in Idaho, Hemingway writes: "Best always George from us both. Working hard, Mary fine and happy, very good shooting, weigh 205 (steady down to 3 never over 6), wish you were here to eat some of Mary's wonderful game cooking - lots of big mallards, pheasants, partridges. Book going fine.Thanks for sending the reviews of the picture."Tracy even double-crossed by coming out in another picture* at same time. The Prince."Best luck for this year and our loved to Georgette. Ernie and Mary."(*THE LAST HURRAH, by John Ford, was also released in 1958 )

35082.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Another letter to George Brown with insight into family and finances:

73679786_2.jpg

1014894975_7.jpg

Mrs. Hemingway, George W. Brown, Ernest Hemingway, Spencer Tracy, Slim Keith, and Leland Hayward

Leland also shared a close tie with Ernest Hemingway, producing the movie version of The Old Man and the Sea. He was earlier Hemingway’s agent.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
An interesting aspect of this photo is that of the six, there are two of the most photographed people of their generation.....And they can't even be bothered to look into the camera, being more interested in a relatively obscure sportsman.

1014894975_7.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
That is an interesting observation.

More Spencer Tracy, Ernest Hemingway and Mrs. Hemingway at El Floridita (1958)

floriditahemingway_mary_tracy.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
Have we no photos of Hemingway's grave in this thread? I'll be making a vigil there next week whilst in Sun Valley.

Connery

One Too Many
It looks like these fellas are hanging onto every word said by Hemingway!

be053755.jpg

1935, New York, NY — Former boxing champion Gene Tunney, Bernard Gimbel, Ernest Hemingway and Jack Dempsey, at Dempsey’s Restaurant.

Connery

One Too Many
Getting around in the 1940s....

with jack Demsey
hemingway-3.jpg

Looks like I made an error duplicating Miss HadleyH's original posting of the fighter picture. My apologies.

I hope this makes up for my mis-post.:)

Picture-136.jpg

Ava Gardner..."Hemingway introduces her to all sorts of bullfighters. According to lore, she accompanied Hemingway to his villa in Cuba, and after skinny-dipping in the pool, Hemingway ordered his staff “The water is never to be emptied.”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21