Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

Connery

One Too Many
^^^

Thank you dhermann1, this is very revealing and disturbing to a degree. When I read, "Mary told her husband’s publisher, Charles Scribner, in 1950. An entry in her journal for October 1951 says: “E. followed me to my bathroom and spit in my face”. The information that follows is almost as startling: “Next day he gave me $200”, I had quite a visceral reaction regarding Hemingway.

Connery

One Too Many
^^^

After reading the previously provided review, I became appropriately shocked and horrified by a specific behavior , however, it looks like I fell for the same old Hemingway bashing where one aspect of a very complex man is discussed in a view of a fuller portrayal, no less. I decided to see how others may have viewed one book in particular that had been discussed in the originally posted review:

"HEMINGWAY’S BOAT
Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost, 1934-1961

By Paul Hendrickson

The following give a more complete view of what is in store for the reader and also gives those who study his life a more balanced and refreshing look into the man.

All aboard 'Hemingway's Boat': A new way to understand Papa
Merging the best of reporting and biography, Paul Hendrickson reveals new insights into the much-studied writer
Sunday, November 20, 2011
By Roger K. Miller

The book discusses two men that Hemingway allowed into his life: "Mr. Samuelson was an "educated tramp," a North Dakota native who stayed with Hemingway for 10 months beginning in mid-1934; Mr. Houk was a U.S. Foreign Service officer in Havana who with his wife, Nita, befriended Hemingway, and vice-versa, in the early 1950s.

...in recounting these men's lives, before and after as well as during the time they interacted with Hemingway, he gets us closer to Hemingway; by showing us the young men Hemingway allowed into his life he also shows us Hemingway.

Both men were forever marked by their encounters. Mr. Samuelson died in 1981, never having really gotten over his obsession with the famed novelist. Mr. Houk, now in his mid-80s, says, while acknowledging the bad press Hemingway has had over the decades, that it "was a hugely positive experience to be around him, for those several years in the '50s. ... I think of him as a Beethoven, for the way he changed the language."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11324/1190733-148-0.stm#ixzz1i7jHdCVj

Hemingway at Sea
By ARTHUR PHILLIPS
Published: November 10, 2011

In 1950, Walter Houk, a young American diplomat in Havana, accepted an invitation from his girlfriend to visit the house of her boss, the famous writer for whom she was a secretary. Hendrickson traces what resulted from this introduction to Hemingway: kindness, fishing trips, talks, a wedding banquet for the Houks given by the writer...he grew old and isolated in California, never forgetting his time with the writer 60 years before"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/b...ks-about-ernest-hemingway.html?pagewanted=all

More about Walter and his wife Juanita Jensen Houk

Mr. Houk went on to establish the "Walter Houk Collection of Ernest Hemingway" in the Princeton University Library. The papers document the friendship between Walter and his wife Juanita Jensen Houk and the Nobel Prize-winning author Ernest Hemingway (1899–1961) in Havana, Cuba. Juanita Jensen Houk, an employee of the American Embassy in Havana, received government clearance to work as Ernest Hemingway’s secretary from 1949 to 1952.

http://blogs.princeton.edu/manuscripts/2011/11/11/walter-houk-collection-of-ernest-hemingway/

The only proper way an author, academician or casual observer can influence that which is held in the minds of those interested in Hemingway is to attempt to see the complete person, the humanness, the failings and the character attributes. Therein lies the truth of any one human being.

Last edited:

Connery

One Too Many
Hemingway working at Finca Vigía

PAR164715.jpg

"Hemingway at work in his bedroom in Cuba. He used the bed as a place to collect his manuscripts and correspondence" (1954)

hem_at_home.jpg

hem_and_cat.jpg

hemingwaywritingwhilestanding.jpg

This is said to be Hemingway, "On a shelf by the bed is the Royal portable he uses, typing standing up."

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hem liked to party and give everybody a good time wherever he was on this planet ..... can I party with you Ernest... Spencer Tracy there at the
Floridita

Tracy_Hemingway_in_Havana.jpg

Malaga, Spain .. here with his Spanish friends ... having a relaxed happy time.... Mary is there too
laconsula.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
A simple honesty about the man in these photos.

I do not know much about this photo other than that was supposedly taken while Hemingway was in Cuba.
Hemingways_Boat_Everything-He_Loved.jpg

20070319-ernest_hemingway_and_cat.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
Another Life photo.

Photographer Ilse Schoenthal right holding up impressive catch with author Ernest Hemingway while on fishing excursion.(1950) Cuba

9d6c77b3a674536a_large.jpg

Gallegos

New in Town
This man's life is truly something admirable. I strive to live my own at least as half as intensely and vigorously as he did.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
After viewing hundreds upon hundreds of photos of Hem I've come to the conclusion that he looked much, much better sans beard.

camjr

Familiar Face
I've got a VERY worn copy of The Old Man and the Sea I carried for years in my briefcase to pass the time in airport terminals, etc. I've probably read it 40-50 times through the years, can quote most of it, and still find it fascinating to this day. I am not so much a fan of his other novels, but appreciate The Sun also Rises for what it is.

I am a huge fan of his collection of short stores, and read a couple each week when winding down for bed in the evenings. Nick Adams is a great character, and I really enjoy the stories of critical junctures and recoveries in his life.

Cheers!

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
Welcome camjr, as a contributor to this thread , I hope you enjoy it and find it interesting. Also welcome to the Fedora Lounge.:)

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Crossing the pond in 1953

Mrs. Hemingway, George W. Brown, Ernest Hemingway, Spencer Tracy, Mrs. Leland Hayward, and Leland Hayward are shown here at the ship S.S. Flandre (French Line) , as the Hemingways are shown off to set sail for Europe.

dm340.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You're slipping, Had. I posted that pic just 25 posts ago.....:cool:

Damn Alzheimer's.....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
OMG noooo .... I am so sorry!!!!!!
No problem. Just remember, it's natural to forget where you put your car keys but you know you're in trouble when you don't remember what car keys are used for.......:eeek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I hope this hasn't been posted before if it has my apologies...

Summer 1944: Footage of men and women of the US press, famous writers and Hollywood stars embedded with the Allied Army advancing trough France.

if you go to 1:26 Hem appears for a couple of seconds ...

[video=youtube;cdCYAMW7kRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCYAMW7kRU&feature=related[/video]

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
Very nice....:)

Hemingway50_toreo_dominguin.jpg

Ernest Hemingway greets the matador Luis Miguel Dominguin during Dominguin's rest, Spain, 1959.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana