Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hem at his wedding day with Hadley Richardson, 1921

laughter and love and so much fun September 1921 ...
6a01053589724d970b011570934cb8970c-640wi.jpg

452px-Ernest_Hemingway_1921_wedding_day-crop.png

with mom dad brother and sisters
d0b2d0b5d0bdd187d0b0d0bdd0b8d0b5-d185d18dd0b4d0bbd0b8-d180d0b8d187d0b0d180d0b4d181d0bed0bd-d0b8-d18dd180d0bdd0b5d181d182d0b0-d185d0b5.jpg

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Hemingway around the time of his first wedding is the only time I've ever seen the man smoking a cigarette. In fact, there's one photo where the click of the shutter actually captured the instant the smoke came out of his nostrils!

HadleyH'll post it, I'm sure. (I hope);)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway around the time of his first wedding is the only time I've ever seen the man smoking a cigarette. In fact, there's one photo where the click of the shutter actually captured the instant the smoke came out of his nostrils!

HadleyH'll post it, I'm sure. (I hope);)

Never found a photo with the smoke coming out of his nostrils :p but i did find this one, from around the same time or a little earlier where both are smoking! :)

hadley-richardson-hemingway-1920.jpg

.... when he was at the Red Cross Hospital in Milan 1918 (he was such a ham :p)

06-hospital.jpg
SuperStock_4048-1331.jpg

d0b8d0b7-d0bdd0bed0b3-d18dd180d0bdd0b5d181d182d0b0-d0b2d18bd0bdd183d0bbd0b8-28-d0bed181d0bad0bed0bbd0bad0bed0b2-d0b8d0b7-d181d0bed182.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The first thing Hemingway did in 1934 after returning from safari in Africa was head to the Wheeler shipyard in Brooklyn, N.Y., and buy a 38-foot fishing boat he named Pilar. At the time he was living in Key West and married to his second wife Pauline.

Hemingway loved that boat and it'd be his refuge for the rest of his life.

These photos are from the 1930s.

EH6670P.jpg

pilareh-p8300.jpg

Ernest_Hemingway_Aboard_the_Pilar_1935.png

with son from first wife Hadley, "Bumby" (father of Margaux and Mariel Hemingway)
Earnest-Hemingwa-with-a-gun.jpg

eh3800p.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Ernest Hemingway and his son Jack ("Bumby") EH dedicated his book "The Sun Also Rises" to both his first wife Hadley and his son Jack.

in Paris
748px-Hemingway__Bumby_1927.jpg

with Gertrude Stein
2497987773_9db4c06079.jpg

profile2.jpg
jack-hemingway-medium1315951552.jpg

tumblr_lfhrgvNV8J1qcl8ymo1_400.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
Interior of Ernest Hemingway's Havana Home
"Bartenders and waiters and the housekeeper of Hemingway's farm mourned his death.These photographs show different angles of his home, while Rene Carbonell, the housekeeper, allowed UPI photographers to go in and take shots of his home. The negatives showed a picture of Fidel Castro and Hemingway with a lion in a wall, the lion was shot by Mrs. Mary Hemingway in Africa. One of the 120 negs showed the place where Hemingway used to write, and another a line of carved animals that showed what Hemingway hunted. Every time he would hunt something a friend used to carve in wood and animal."

U1290387.jpg

U1290387A.jpg

PW006035.jpg

U1290387B.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
".....When one thinks of Ernest Hemingway, one usually thinks of a macho adventurer, going on safari, running with the bulls or deep sea fishing, just like the heroes of his novels. One does not often picture him at home caring for stray cats and dogs - yet that's exactly what he did..... Hemingway cared for many cats and dogs over the course of his life. He often brought home strays, and they became part of his extended family. At one point, he had over 35 cats at his estate in Cuba, cats with six toes! ...... and he knew the names and family trees of every one. ..."

He called the cats "purr factories" and "love sponges" who soaked up love in return for comfort and companionship...."

OsbKypB8Ro2t4j48TKw6M7Bfo1_500.jpg

20070319-ernest_hemingway_and_cat.jpg

With his sons Patrick and Gregory, from second wife Pauline
936full-ernest-hemingway.jpg

he even let his favorite cats eat from the table... eating corn!:D
470_Cristobal_Hem-web.jpg

blackwhitecaternesthemingwayportraitretro-ca3e926aa599a633ffecb5bdaa115c1f_h.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
You have touched on a part of Hemingway that has been overlooked for some time.

This passage from “A Farewell to Arms” shows his depth, his need for others and his vulnerability. “We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke too so one was not alone. Often a man wishes to be alone and a girl wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that. We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others. It has only happened to me like that once. I have been alone while I was with many girls and that is the way that you can be most lonely. But we were never lonely and never afraid when we were together. I know that the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started. But with Catherine there was almost no difference in the night except that it was an even better time.”(226)

He was also quite the lover and a romantic, on Nov. 8, 1944 he wrote: "Mary, my dearest beloved I love you so and there is nothing much I can add. I write in this stupid, moral probably trashy way because one of the loveliest adventures we have had is the one of trying to understand each other. Dearest Pickle I want so to make a good life with you..." and "I love you very close my dearest heart. Your Only". At the time, Hemingway's marriage to his third wife, Martha Gellhorn, was disintegrating.

He further wrote, "Dearest, so what to write tonight. We're in the 6th day of the fight and it has been the mother and father of all fights today with a driving rain trees coming down as in a hurricane, I'm so damned anxious not to be killed Pickle."

These personal notes and letter can be found in Pennsylvania State University, part of a six-year-old effort to produce a single scholarly edition of the author's correspondence. The Hemingway Letters Project began in 2002. It will consist of 12 volumes grouping the 7,000 or more letters and cards he sent, most never published before. In the collection a postcard dated June 9, 1918 from Hemingway to his father where he says, "Everything lovely, we go to the front tomorrow, we've been treated like kings." One month later he is wounded which is one of the experiences he used as a cornerstone for his writing a “Farewell to Arms”.

Connery said:
Interior of Ernest Hemingway's Havana Home
"Bartenders and waiters and the housekeeper of Hemingway's farm mourned his death.These photographs show different angles of his home, while Rene Carbonell, the housekeeper, allowed UPI photographers to go in and take shots of his home. The negatives showed a picture of Fidel Castro and Hemingway with a lion in a wall, the lion was shot by Mrs. Mary Hemingway in Africa. One of the 120 negs showed the place where Hemingway used to write, and another a line of carved animals that showed what Hemingway hunted. Every time he would hunt something a friend used to carve in wood and animal."

For those of you who are curious about what books are on those shelves here's a catalog:

http://www.librarything.com/profile/ErnestHemingway

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ErnestHemingway

Connery

One Too Many
This painting of Hemingway was done by his good friend and fishing companion, Waldo Peirce. A critic had remarked that Hemingway looked like 19th century French writer Honore de Balzac.

In Peirce's painting, Hemingway appeared to be a slimmed-down version of Balzac (at least facially).

EH-C10156A.jpg

Portrait of Ernest Hemingway by Waldo Peirce. Signed by the artist, lower right: "For Ernest (alias Kid Balzac) Key West first April /29 - WP". Ernest Hemingway Collection, John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Boston. Photograph accession EH-C10156A.

Honore-de-Balzac.jpg

French writer Honore de Balzac.

Ernest_Hemingway_at_the_Finca_Vigia_1953jpg.jpg

Ernest Hemingway at his home in Cuba, circa 1953, standing in front of a 1929 portrait of himself by Waldo Pierce.

Hemingway on Pierce: In his home in Key West, Florida: "Waldo is here with his kids like untrained hyenas and him as domesticated as a cow. Lives only for the children and with the time he puts on them they should have good manners and be well trained but instead they never obey, destroy everything, don't even answer when spoken to, and he is like an old hen with a litter of apehyenas. I doubt if he will go out in the boat while he is here. Can't leave the children. They have a nurse and a housekeeper too, but he is only really happy when trying to paint with one setting fire to his beard and the other rubbing mashed potato into his canvasses. That represents fatherhood."

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I thought this was interesting! He never did that sort of thing... but here we see him in a very unusual commercial endorsement, for Ballantine , circa 1951. ( must have been close to his heart! he-he ;))

74025080_e8ff3d352e_b.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
He did one for Parker also??? I never knew that! I thought the one for Ballantines was his only one!!! Thank you AC!!:D

Flying too?????????? :eeek:

Connery

One Too Many
Who doesn't! [huh]~~~ lollollol

He did refuse payment on the following ad, or so goes the story.:p

hem.jpg

"In one of the greatest public relations windfalls in Allied Chemical history, revered author Ernest Hemingway reveals in an interview in the New York Times Review of Books that he intends to spend the year 1959 consuming only big game and Farmer Fred's Happydale Hamspread. Advertising executives are dispatched to Hemingway's encampment on the African Savannah to make arrangements for a formal endorsement. Hemingway willingly signs an endorsement deal, but for reasons known only to himself, refuses to accept any payment other than a year's supply of the delectable treat."

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
He did refuse payment on the following ad, or so goes the story.........Hemingway willingly signs an endorsement deal, but for reasons known only to himself, refuses to accept any payment other than a year's supply of the delectable treat."

AHA! I knew it, you see? Papa was always Papa!!!!! ;):D lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ