Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Essentials

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I just saw a commercial on TCM about "The Essentials" hosted by Robert Osborne, and Alec Baldwin.

They were showing clips during the commercial, and I recgonized Bonnie & Clyde, Judgement at Nuremburg, and Lawrence of Arabia (the camel/cavalry charge at Aqaba, as Baldwin comments, "you can't do Lawrence of Arabia, on Broadway."

Anyway, there were two quick clips that I didn't recgonize.

One was in B&W and was a pilot, wearing an A-2, wandering through an aircraft graveyard. There was a "victory arch" that was made of what looked like P-51 tails sticking up out of the ground.

Any ideas?

The other was a color movie, the shot was from a driver's seat perspective, of a convertable going over a large bridge?

Maybe if I see the commercial again, it will ring a bell.

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
One was in B&W and was a pilot, wearing an A-2, wandering through an aircraft graveyard. There was a "victory arch" that was made of what looked like P-51 tails sticking up out of the ground.

Any ideas?

It's been a while since I've seen the film but one possibility is Dana Andrews toward the end of The Best Years of Our Lives.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
conrad5157 said:
It's been a while since I've seen the film but one possibility is Dana Andrews toward the end of The Best Years of Our Lives.

That's exactly what I thought it was, too. And The Best Years of Our Lives should definitely be included in any essentials list, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner