Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Human Comedy

Foxer55

A-List Customer
The Human Comedy (1943). MGM. Mickey Rooney, Frank Morgan, James Craig, Marsha Hunt.

Wow! What a great flick! I saw this movie many years ago and it was on TCM again last night as they ran Mickey Rooney movies all day. It ranks right up there with Best Years of Our Lives and Since You Went Away to help make a perfect trilogy of hometown America in WWII.

For those who haven't seen the film it is pure schmaltz and propaganda for the times with solid American character, apple pie, the flag, and mom. The story concerns Homer McCauley (Rooney) as a high school kid working part time at the local telegraph office delivering telegrams so he can help his family after his brother goes off to war. It all takes place in small town America where everybody knows everybody and life is a gentle existence full of family, work, and friendship. His father has just passed away and the family can use Homer's help because he is now “the man of the family.” Frank Morgan plays the amiable old guy at the telegraph office where Homer works, and the old fellow is a bit of a drinker and a fine telegrapher. Homer has to deliver some sad telegrams, like the one he delivers informing a family of their son's loss in action. He stands on the porch in front of the weeping mother with complete frustration at not knowing what to do. Rooney pulls this off perfectly.

Its high comedy though when he has to deliver a singing birthday telegram to a girl he fancies. But the telegram is from his arch love rival and he has to croon the tune in front of the rival and all the other guests at the girl's birthday party - a complete embarrassment indeed.

The film s full of simple joys like children trying to abscond with apricots from a neighbor’s apricot tree, or wandering through the stacks of the town library (remember the smell of old books in the library?), or soldiers on leave trying to pick up girls. And there’s a love story background with the telegraph office manager (Craig) and a local girl (Hunt) who is from one of the town’s wealthy families.

When I see movies like this I just want to scream and jump through the screen to get in there and experience those old yellow convertibles, the women in breezy sheer dresses or beautiful party gowns, and the simpler pleasures of life.

The last few moments of the film are memorable and will require at least one hankie because it’s still a tear-jerker. I think the ending is a perfect touch to the story.

I was so impressed I did some research and found the film was originally a play, then a film, and finally a book by William Soroyan. I found the book on Amazon and ordered it already this morning.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I like parts of the film but man do they lay it on a little thick in spots in this one. Overall I love the film and watch it when I can. I'll be interested in your take on the novel when you're done.

Worf

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Worf,

I like parts of the film but man do they lay it on a little thick in spots in this one. Overall I love the film and watch it when I can. I'll be interested in your take on the novel when you're done.

A friend of mine use to say about movies like this, "Boy, they're milking it for all they can get."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner