Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Evening Tipple...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Within the past week I've just poured the last of The Glenlivet and the Ardbeg. The Old Pulteney went west last month.

Where should I go now?

I'd be pleased to hear single malt suggestions, with descriptions as subtle or as vivid as you like.

Creeping Past said:
Within the past week I've just poured the last of The Glenlivet and the Ardbeg. The Old Pulteney went west last month.

Where should I go now?

I'd be pleased to hear single malt suggestions, with descriptions as subtle or as vivid as you like.

That really depends on your taste more than what I like and would recommend. From the two you listed, you appear to like peaty, smoky and robust flavor scotch. That leads us directly to Laphroig. :eek: For a little bit more nuance, Lagavulin delivers the same smoky flavor with a bit more character with the smoke and hint of black pepper. Bowmore is softer ont he palate with a bit of sherry and fruit before you get the smoky peat and a nutty finish. Coal Ila is also in this area of lighter less intense smoky flavor with smoky character but a spicy finish.
Take all that for what its worth and choose the one that seems about how you like your Scotch. ;) :cheers1:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
After four long, frozen semiweat hours of shooting (No NOT GUNS - film) I came back home and had two large Jamesons Irish - no ice. Just with plain water. That did it!:D

Creeping Past said:
Half my family is from Speyside, JP, so I'm almost hard-wired for Highland malt.

There you go then. A Speyside or a highland are both decent choices. I prefer them over a large number of the Islays but that is just me. [huh] ;) Speaking of highlands, that brings to mind Alberfeldy. This is indeed produced by Dewar's but it is a single malt. However, it is the single malt that the blended Dewar's is based on. You can't find the 25 year old anymore as they discontinued it. You can still find the 20 year old but their offerings with less age on them are just as good to me. Age is more often than not a selling point rather than a true arbiter of quality. I have tasted many older single malts that appeared past it when compared to their younger siblings.[huh]
I might have to give Dewar's blended another chance if Alberfeldy is any indication of the taste and quality. ;) :p

VintageVixie

All this fine whiskey talk has me missing my favorite libations more than I already am. Before I found I was expecting, I liked a small nightly drink.

I'm a big fan of Talisker- I've only had the 10 year, it's one of the smokier whiskeys I've tried, and I was surprised to like it so much. The smoke sneaks up on you. I like the 15 year Dalwhinnie, and the 15 year Macallan as well- the Macallan, I find, is surprisingly mellow. I also like the 21 year Glenfiddich, which ruined me for all younger Glenfiddich.

Clearly I'm a single malt fan, I like the peat of most Scotch, but not always the smokier whiskeys. It has to be just right.

For blends I like 18 year Jamesons. Incredibly smooth, that.

Has anyone here had the Irish single malt Connemara? I've not so much as seen it in our local stores. I really want to try it.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I received a bottle of Bowmore Scotch whiskey from a colleague....so tonight it is a Thistle cocktail from the Duffy book:

2 dashes Angostura bitters
1/2 Italian vermouth
1/2 Scotch

Stir well and strain.

Nice and smooth.:)

ET

One of the Regulars
After four long, frozen semiweat hours of shooting (No NOT GUNS - film) I came back home and had two large Jamesons Irish - no ice. Just with plain water. That did it!

Does it for me also Spitfire-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails