Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Evening Tipple...

MK said:
So...tell me about Tom and Jerry.

Tonight it was my standard Marker's Mark Manhattan. It is just about the perfect cocktail for me. I like trying different drinks but I always come back to it.

Well, lets see. I usually make enough only for myself and my wife (this makes about four drinks) so I use:
6 eggs
1 jigger rum (for each serving)
powdered sugar
1 jigger brandy(for each serving)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
scalded milk
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 oz vanilla

To make the batter: beat egg whites stiff with electric beater. Add enough sugar (gradually) until the mixture thickens(about 6 tablespoons). Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and vanilla. Some may not like so much cloves and cinnamon so adjust to your taste;) . Add in half of the eggs yolks, and blend until smooth.

In a large mug fill with 4 tablespoons batter (depending on the size of the mug of course ;) ), 1 shots of each rum and brandy. Balance with scalded milk. Stir well and sprinkle with nutmeg.

You can also just buy the batter at BevMo instead. ;) :p It just doesn't taste the same though. [huh]

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

From Official Mixers Manual 1934.

Attention Cocktail
1/4 French vermouth
1/4 absinthe
1/4 gin
1/4 creme de violette
2 dashes orange bitters

I don't have absinthe or orange bitters...and I only have Italian vermouth...

...but I was curious about vermouth with gin and creme de violette.

I think it tastes nice and smooth. A strange color...but a nice change of pace.

My wife on the other hand almost gagged......but she is a light weight.;)

MK said:

Attention Cocktail
1/4 French vermouth
1/4 absinthe
1/4 gin
1/4 creme de violette
2 dashes orange bitters

I don't have absinthe or orange bitters...and I only have Italian vermouth...

...but I was curious about vermouth with gin and creme de violette.

I think it tastes nice and smooth. A strange color...but a nice change of pace.

lol lol lol lol lol
I have everything but the creme de violette. Maybe I will have to give it a try.

rumblefish

One Too Many
MK said:

Attention Cocktail
1/4 French vermouth
1/4 absinthe
1/4 gin
1/4 creme de violette
2 dashes orange bitters

That got her Attention.:eusa_doh:

Last night I had a Rose: 1/2 Kirschwasser and 1/2 dry Vermouth, drop or two of Grenadine. Shaken, served in a cocktail glass.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Another from Official Mixers Manual 1934.

Oppenheim Cocktail

1/2 Pony Bourbon
1/4 Pony Grenadine
1/4 Pony Italian Vermouth

I have never heard of the "Pony" brand...but I made it with my usual brands. It is somewhat like a Manhattan. The grenadine takes the place of the cherry.

I really like Manhattans so I very much this cocktail.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MK said:

Oppenheim Cocktail

1/2 Pony Bourbon
1/4 Pony Grenadine

I have never heard of the "Pony" brand...but I made it with my usual brands. It is somewhat like a Manhattan. The grenadine takes the place of the cherry.

That one sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it, but I have no Bourbon, just Rye.

Brad

filfoster

One Too Many
Taps

None of you are married to Mrs. Foster, raised Baptist and imbiber long enough to get through the wedding reception, (bait-and-switch?). She does not support my 80 year,(I am mid-way through), non-clinical field test, measuring alchohol's effect on longevity, so my evening tipples are limited to Thursday-Sunday. Nevertheless, mine would be seasonal. Warm months: martinis, real ones with Gin and vermouth and an enormous olive; cold months: two fingers, twice done, of a decent Scotch.

That's my dream: My reality is cheap wine.

Speaking of such, last night I was making up a soda for my son. (He likes it better when I play mixologist better than getting it from a can. [huh] ) So the wife had just squeezed som fresh orange juice but it was too tart as they always are this time of the year. So I diluted it with water, added passion fruit syrup, orgeat and grenadine. He was pretty pleased with the result. I was too after I added a jigger and a half of rye to mine. ;) :D

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
MK said:

Oppenheim Cocktail

1/2 Pony Bourbon
1/4 Pony Grenadine

Not a brand, it's a measurement.lol
Pony = 1 oz.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
3203276336_377fbbb60e_m.jpg

Controlled stagger towards the Bar to mix yet another Champagne cocktail , "Its this wretched heat"

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hot toddy in my Fedora Lounge mug

After tromping around a very freezing Manhattan for a while last night, I got home chilled to the bone. I broke in my brand new Fedora Lounge mug with a hot toddy made of Bulleit Bourbon (a brand I never saw before, but it's GOOD), a little lemon juice, some honey and a tap of ground clove. Found the recipe on line. It totally hit the spot.

rumblefish

One Too Many
As per recommendations from Mr. jamespowers;

Hendricks Gin with Q Tonic,,, and a cuke slice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Hendricks and Q are a perfect match!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy