Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fall of the Moustache

I made a post in this thread about my former profession and going home that night and shaving the stache.

I rest my case.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

F. J.

One of the Regulars
I’ve had a moustache since right after I graduated high school. Mine’s neatly trimmed but certainly not pencil-thin.

I just thought of a good trivia question—
Name this moustachioed gentleman:
Robert_E_Lee_1851.jpg

(Scroll down for answer.)

The answer:
Robert Edward Lee, c. 1850, Brevet Colonel of Engineers, U. S. Army.

Until taking a field command in the Confederate Army during Civil War, Lee had black hair and a black moustache.

In a letter to his daughter-in-law, dated June 22, 1862, Lee writes:
“And now I must answer your inquiries about myself. My habiliments are not as comfortable as yours, nor so suited to this hot weather; but they are the best I have. My coat is of gray, of the regulation style and pattern, and my pants of dark blue, as is also prescribed, partly hid by my long boots. I have the same handsome hat which surmounts my gray head (the latter is not prescribed in the regulations), and shields my ugly face, which is masked by a white beard as stiff and wiry as the teeth of a card. In fact, an uglier person you have never seen, and so unattractive is it to our enemies that they shoot at it whenever visible to them.”
Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many

tmal

One of the Regulars
What is the problem with the Magnum PI mustache? I had a beard from 1976 to 2015. i shaved it off twice and each time left the mustache and it was magnum-like. About a year ago I shaved to clean shaven. A few months ago I let the mustache grow back. It grew in and low and behold it was a Magnum PI 'stache.With my usual impatience I shaved it off. What does it take to get a Gable mustache? Is it even possible if your lip hair grows in a certain way?

What is the problem with the Magnum PI mustache? I had a beard from 1976 to 2015. i shaved it off twice and each time left the mustache and it was magnum-like. About a year ago I shaved to clean shaven. A few months ago I let the mustache grow back. It grew in and low and behold it was a Magnum PI 'stache.With my usual impatience I shaved it off...
There's no problem with the "Magnum" mustache...as long as you're Tom Selleck or look like Tom Selleck. It looks good on him, but that doesn't mean it would look as good on every guy. That being said, I'm sure I don't completely understand your question. It sounds as if you wanted to grow a mustache, you grew one, then shaved it off because you were impatient? Was it taking too long to grow the way you wanted it, or was it not thick enough, or...?

...What does it take to get a Gable mustache? Is it even possible if your lip hair grows in a certain way?
The "secret" to a Gable mustache is maintenance. You can see in the photo that Lean'n'mean posted above that Gable's facial hair grew in relatively even and thick; he chose (or was perhaps advised) to keep it close-cropped and trimmed to a specific shape. But, again, just because it looked good on him...

tmal

One of the Regulars
Let me explain it this way. I was not clear before. My mustache just naturally grows in a pattern much like the Magnum 'stache. That being the case do I have any chance at all of grooming it to Gable style? Or is the pattern the hair grows just too different to be made to work.

Let me explain it this way. I was not clear before. My mustache just naturally grows in a pattern much like the Magnum 'stache. That being the case do I have any chance at all of grooming it to Gable style? Or is the pattern the hair grows just too different to be made to work.
I don't see any reason you couldn't trim yours to look more like Gable's.

MPQfJDy.jpg

The only real difference is that Gable shaved off much of the top half of his mustache, and trimmed the bottom so it ended just above his upper lip. You just need the patience and time to do that every day.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
My mustache just naturally grows in a pattern much like the Magnum 'stache.
That is prehaps the problem. If you want a highly groomed tache, such as Gable's, you don't just let it grow naturally. You gotta shave & shape it while it's growing. Using a cut throat razor would be preferable to a modern safety razor as you can get a much cleaner moustache edge & you have to keep that baby trimmed too which means getting comb & scissors out at least once a week.

Last edited:

tmal

One of the Regulars
thanks guys. maybe there is hope yet if I am patient. then again I am not noted for my patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo