Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Chronicles - Indiana Jones Hat Discrepancies

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
A lot of conjecture here, not all of it true............

I understand what you're saying. It just seemed to me like in this particular discussion, they were discussing two different points. "Yes, the Fed IV looks a lot like Indy's hat, why can't you see that?" vs "No, the Fed IV isn't exactly like Indy's hat, why can't you see that?." Both sides are absolutely correct, but they're having 2 different discussions. Me personally, I like the "Clipper" hat better than the "Hero" hat, but I can see where a serious Indy fan would prefer the Hero. Actually of all the hats in the movie, the one any of my own hats most resembles is Major Toht's fedora. (and you know I'm a fan of the movie if I remember his name)

jbucklin

Practically Family
I don't think that is necessary. Nothing wrong with a good discussion of this sort, anti-Indyness not withstanding.

It's the mud-slinging that's bothersome. Get some of these guys in a bar and it's an out-and-out brawl---bottles and chairs smashed over heads (with hats donning them of course);).

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I like Indy-type hats of different colors, such as Wolfwood's tawny fawn 'Indy' hat. I also like a lot of other 'non-Indy' hats.
It is actually heritage fawn, but thank you. I like it as well. :)

And, yes, this is not such a serious issue at all and I'm surprised it has grown to such proportions. Personally, I was only attracted to this thread when I noticed the author removing my comments even though we just had an active and apparently peaceful conversation going in there.

jaymag_87

New in Town
Back when either Raiders or Temple came out, I bought an official Indy hat, made by Stetson. I think they now call it "The Temple". Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, I got rid of it. A couple years ago, I found this site and decided it was time to get another "Indy" hat. Of course, the licensed Indys look like crap, so I began researching where, in DFW, that I could find a quality fedora. I found Peters' Brothers in Fort Worth. Peters' Brothers is a local hat maker. After visiting their website, I took a visit (with wife approval). I personally think they make a fine hat.

As I was looking over their pre-made "Indys", Mr. Peters and I began discussing what I wanted in a hat. Since I was not deadset in SA, he pointed me in, what I feel was the right direction. He showed me that the crown height and dimensional brim of a SA Indy did not look good on me. We customized an "Indy" to my specifications. I could have gone with SA from any scene of any of the films if I so desired, but that wasn't paramount. We lowered the crown, I chose a tear-drop crease and a non-dimensional brim. I love my hat. I have allowed the brim to become mis-shapened, and I need to correct that. It''s become a little flat. It's my hat, not Indy's, and I like it that way.

After watching the short film, I realized that I never noticed or care about the differences in Indy's hats in each film. I just like the films. Yes, I even like Crystal Skull. I have no problem with the giant ants, nor do I have a problem with the whole Alien/Interdimensional Beings thing. It's a movie, not a documentary. Besides, ever watch "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel?

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
The only problem I had with Crystal Skull is when Shia Labeouf was swinging with the monkeys and was able to catch up with the vehicles.:eusa_doh:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It is actually heritage fawn, but thank you. I like it as well. :)

And, yes, this is not such a serious issue at all and I'm surprised it has grown to such proportions. Personally, I was only attracted to this thread when I noticed the author removing my comments even though we just had an active and apparently peaceful conversation going in there.

Right, yours is a heritage, mine is imperial and therefore, tawny. Mea culpa.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Back when either Raiders or Temple came out, I bought an official Indy hat, made by Stetson. I think they now call it "The Temple". Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, I got rid of it. A couple years ago, I found this site and decided it was time to get another "Indy" hat. Of course, the licensed Indys look like crap, so I began researching where, in DFW, that I could find a quality fedora. I found Peters' Brothers in Fort Worth. Peters' Brothers is a local hat maker. After visiting their website, I took a visit (with wife approval). I personally think they make a fine hat.

As I was looking over their pre-made "Indys", Mr. Peters and I began discussing what I wanted in a hat. Since I was not deadset in SA, he pointed me in, what I feel was the right direction. He showed me that the crown height and dimensional brim of a SA Indy did not look good on me. We customized an "Indy" to my specifications. I could have gone with SA from any scene of any of the films if I so desired, but that wasn't paramount.

The hats were a huge big deal for me, almost from day one. Back in the '80s, there was no way for me, personally, to get a hold of a hat that looked anything like what I saw it the film. I bought a cheap woolie, and then a Stetson Chatham, they weren't right by any stretch of the (my) imagination, but I wore them for years anyway.

It wasn't until I landed here and at COW that I was able to locate what I really wanted. I also discovered that I could get what I wanted without it having to look like a DNA copy of a film hat. That was my compromise - not exact but close enough to make me happy. I call my Indy hats 'screen-reminiscent.'

I just finished a rebuild of my Fed III that ended up turning into a more accurate rendition of a particular Raiders hat than was planned when I started. I wear it proudly, as I do all my fedoras. I don't begrudge anyone their style, and expect the same in return. I guess I don't understand the animosity from some quarters directed at 'Indy' hats. I guess it's because they are atypical copies of an era, and not the actual, not to mention that in the general public's eye, 'all' fedoras are Indy hats, sort of stealing the thunder of the genuine article.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Rob... this is my first post and I just wanted to tell you that the video was great. I have watched it several times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner