Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Palm Beach Cloth

Feraud

Bartender
Feraud, you're a genius.
I keep telling my wife but she doesn't believe me. :eusa_doh:

Why am I remembering something about the mohair yarn being difficult or impossible to come by?
It is likely expensive but I doubt impossible! :D

Logic dictates the cost of using mohair will decrease because it's not the entire content. Seeing as how a run of material if at all doable will only be a few hundred yards at most I see the cost per yard increasing.. so much for logic. [huh]

If we eliminate mohair does that remove the "Palm Beach" factor?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Not that I know anything about weaving etc, but I would imagine there would lots more to reproducing a cloth to a satisfactory standard than just using the correct mix of fabrics. Would it not also require the right type of looms etc?

Not that I know anything about weaving etc, but I would imagine there would lots more to reproducing a cloth to a satisfactory standard than just using the correct mix of fabrics. Would it not also require the right type of looms etc?

You have a point and the fact is that the material changed a bit over time---and so did the content and texture. We would just have to experiment with a known example and go from there.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Hey everyone,
I'd like to rekindle this discussion. Namely, in regards to cleaning and re-whitening Palm Beach fabric.
Palm Beach is a blend of wool and linen, which means Oxi-Clean will digest it to some extent. However a lot of people swear Oxi-Clean will work just fine.
However, Hydrogen Peroxide is considered the "bleach" for wools; ever heard of ladies "bleaching" their hair? H2O2!
Has anyone tried soaking palm beach in H2O2? I would assume the typical 6% you buy at Wal-Mart won't work.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Having the original formula rewoven shouldn't be that difficult, then. Cotton warp and mohair weft doesn't sound too complicated.

Feraud

Bartender
Just to mention in bleaching hair depending on how much hydrogen peroxide one uses it burns the hair and makes it brittle. One may not want to take that approach on a vintage garment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk