Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge: The crash, The move and The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Darhling said:
Iphone vs. beautiful, vintagefied pics of our loungers.. I know what I would choose, but it isn't my board.

Folks are welcome to post all the "beautiful, vintagefied pics" they want...in threads appropriate to what they're showing off.

Got a new dress or suit? There's threads for such in the Powder Room, or in General Attire.

New makeup or hairstyle? Beauty's the place for you.

New vintage pocketwatch, purse, etc.? The Display Case will suit this perfectly.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
If you think a thread deserves to live, try to justify it in terms of the "mission statement" of the fedora Lounge.

I'd agree, if there was a mission statement. There's a statement of what the Lounge is and there's a statment of what MK envisioned in the early days of the Lounge. While both include statements about the Golden Era and the 30s and 40s, there's also this: "A classy place where you can discuss issues of the day..." Now, if that means what it does when someone uses the phrase "back in the day", then I get it. However, that's not what it says and, I'm pretty certain, that's not what it means. A clear statement of purpose is everything.

This is yet another reason I began to lose interest in Classic Style magazine. The editor's statement in the first issue talked about showing real clothes for real people, though in many price ranges. From that point, there was an article on finding vintage suits on ebay followed by a spread on suits available at any mall. The last issue I received included a lenghty fashion spread with an $8000 suit and, I think it was, $600 belt. I added the value of the 5 or so outfits shown in the photos and came up with a figure of well over $20,000. While I appreciate that there are a wide range of members here, and surely of Classic Style subscribers, an $8,000 suit is not a piece of real clothing for a real person - it is a used car, 6-16 suits, or a luxury vacation.

With CS, it was the loss of focus on the mission statement. Here, it's the failure to ever estalish one. I'm not against the shift to a more vintage oriented forum (heck, everything that doesn't have to do with hats could die and I'd still be happy), but it seems that it's being done quite arbitrarily. Again, as long as there's any discussion of the Iphone, this is hardly a strictly vintage forum.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Zohar said:
Folks are welcome to post all the "beautiful, vintagefied pics" they want...in threads appropriate to what they're showing off.

Got a new dress or suit? There's threads for such in the Powder Room, or in General Attire.

New makeup or hairstyle? Beauty's the place for you.

New vintage pocketwatch, purse, etc.? The Display Case will suit this perfectly.

Well I and many other people just wanted to see beautiful, vintagefied pics of PEOPLE - pics that didn't belong in any of those threads you mention, but they would belong in ladies or gents of the lounge threads. And this goes for many subjects that are about showing us as a diverse, vintage community. But this is just my 0.02 cents.

I agree with Lefty, though not in the sentiment that it could be all hats! lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Darhling said:
I am very saddened by the fact we cannot really socialize anymore ...Now it will be the usual fantastic party, with snappy dressed people but without being allowed to talk and chat with each other - which really was the charm behind all of this.

Darhling,

How has closing a couple of the many threads available and just as long running kept anyone on this board from conversations?

You, as an example, have posted numerous photos in the 'What are you wearing', 'What have you made', 'What have you purchased' and 'Pin Up' thread to thunderous applause. Surely your thank yous can lead to more robust conversation via PM or otherwise?

What a lot of loungers dont understand is how we Bartenders talk debate and think out every little thing we do on this board. With all our varying opinions, (oh, and there are MANY ;) ) it is difficult to reach a conscientious, but when one is finally reached, we act on a united front.

Most of us have been here a long time, seeing it grow and morph and prosper. Bartenders have an obligation to keep this place going along its way, and sure that will step on the toes of some, sorry.

Thats what a lot of the social networking sites are made for, if thats your main interest. Here, its to share a love of vintage, with all that other stuff sprinkled in for flavor.

I do hear there is a great new saloon that just opened up. For the casual socializing in some, it might be worth a look ;)

LD

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day - I know I am a big showboat, posting lots of pics where they belong, but I wasn't talking about seeing me, I was talking about seeing other members. I will not name names, but I am i awe of so many fantastic photos posted by many loungers - that inspired me in many ways. but they were photos that wasn't meant to show of a hairstyle or a purse - they were meant to show the personality of a lounger.

And for the record I don't post pics to get applause. I appreciate it, but that is certainly not why I do it.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Darhling,

How has closing a couple of the many threads available and just as long running kept anyone on this board from conversations?

You, as an example, have posted numerous photos in the 'What are you wearing', 'What have you made', 'What have you purchased' and 'Pin Up' thread to thunderous applause. Surely your thank yous can lead to more robust conversation via PM or otherwise?

What a lot of loungers dont understand is now we Bartenders talk debate and think out every little thing we do on this board. With all our varying opinions, (oh, and there are MANY ;) ) it is difficult to reach a conscientious, but when one is finally reached, we act on a united front.

Most of us have been here a long time, seeing it grow and morph and prosper. Bartenders have an obligation to keep this place going along its way, and sure that will step on the toes of some, sorry.

Thats what a lot of the social networking sites are made for, if thats your main interest. Here, its to share a love of vintage, with all that other stuff sprinkled in for flavor.

I do hear there is a great new saloon that just opened up. For the casual socializing in some, it might be worth a look ;)

LD

the families of the lounge is still here though, or was yesterday (too lazy to look again)...I find that a bit odd

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Darhling said:
And for the record I don't post pics to get applause. I appreciate it, but that is certainly not why I do it.

I never said you did. :)

As for other lounger posting pics, perhaps they can theme it to something related to the board as Zohar suggested....a trip taken, an essay of something Golden Era related.

I guess Im saying is try a bit harder to make it fit here instead of saying there isnt a place for it here. And if it cant fit, then it does not belong.

As for the families of the Lounge, Im kinda with you on that. But who can mis-categorize looking at cute kids? :rolleyes:

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
the families of the lounge is still here though, or was yesterday (too lazy to look again)...I find that a bit odd

Why is it odd? There -is- a thread where -actual- members can show off their vintage duds, the 'What are you wearing today' thread.

The families thread is for the families, who might or might not be wearing vintage. Pretty simple. It does not -fit- in the gen attire because the focus is not necessarily on clothing but rather on seeing the family members of our members.

Pictures of -US-, by the nature that this is a vintage related board, should somehow (in many different ways or shapes) involve vintage or vintage inspired clothing or accessories. Thus the focus is on the clothes and accessories and how we -wear- them.

Seriously, I personally don't need to see members pictures in random non-topical outfits, when Why We Are All Here......is the vintage clothes, history, learning, etc.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I never said you did. :)

No hon I am aware of that, but since you mentioned me getting applause, I thought I would clarify my view on the matter.

Lady Day said:
As for the families of the Lounge, Im kinda with you on that. But who can mis-categorize looking at cute kids? :rolleyes:

LD

I would think consistency would be best, that way people won't get confused as to what they can and can't post.

Foofoogal

Banned
I liked the ladies and gentlemen of the lounge threads immensely as well and most everyone was dressed vintage in them. I think them being private in the Observation room gave just that. Privacy. I would think many would not ever post in the public rooms photos of themselves.
I do love the families photos.
I must of missed something as I thought we were all doing very well getting along and all. I guess bandwidth has alot to do with resurrecting alot of stuff maybe.
We had discussed awhile back about the observation room being a sort of lenient part of the FL. I was really surprised by the ending of the calling people hon thread being closed. That was a very vintage topic IMHO.
It is though MK's joint so most certainly he can do whatever he wants.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The show me threads...?

I quote:

You are encouraged to:

*Post photographs of antiques, collectibles, art, books, flea market finds, ebay purchases and other things relevant to the Golden Era (or earlier!). They do not have to be from your personal collection.
*Discuss how to find, display, care for and store items.
*Talk about how you integrate the items pictured into everyday living, if you do.

If you go through the Display Case there are many threads too, that does not fit this.
Show us your art ? is that related to golden age?
Modern guns galore - where's the golde age in that?
There are propably many more...
I am not saying they should be put down - I am just looking for the logic.
We will have no more pictures of you - but your Uzi, M16 or whatever is ok.
Please enlighten us - we so much hate to step out of line [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Lefty said:
...With CS, it was the loss of focus on the mission statement. Here, it's the failure to ever estalish one. I'm not against the shift to a more vintage oriented forum (heck, everything that doesn't have to do with hats could die and I'd still be happy), but it seems that it's being done quite arbitrarily. Again, as long as there's any discussion of the Iphone, this is hardly a strictly vintage forum.

We are a vintage-oriented forum. Always have been. The rest sprouted, some took root, but at the core, we're about pleats and martinis and William Powell.

I loathe mission statements almost as much as I loathe windy, pointless meetings. The day MK kicks around those two words, I think I'll have to hang up my Stetson.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You see, there were posts that survived the crash. There were posts that didn't. There were ones we were able to fix and ones we were not.

At this crossroads, we decided to get back to our core mission: as a vintage forum, which is the reason we all came here in the first place.

Future posts to threads outside of our scope will be discouraged as will threads that are better suited to blogs and social networks. That is how it is.

If you don't know how to socialize while staying on topic, then I really don't know what to tell you. Actually, I can tell you this, take a look at the "Adventurers Gear Thread," the folks in there are balancing things well. There is a PM function that works well too.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
The thing is that it's ultimately a subjective decision what belongs and what doesn't. I think anyone who has a beef with a bartender's decision to shut down a thread ought to PM that bartender. POLITELY!
I did just that, TWICE. In particular, I started a thread that was quickly locked - one of the first after "The Crash". Now, I have no problem with that, policies change. What I DO have a problem with was the way it was handled - the wording by the Bartender was quite patronizing - and the fact, that even after TWO PM's to said Bartender, there was no reply - just the evaporation of said thread.

I have defended the accusations of snobbery on this site many a time. Sure, there is a hierarchy. As there should be by those that are far more committed to the vintage lifestyle than others. But, this, as of late, just sticks in my craw. Being called out in public. Contacting the Bartender and to state my case and not being even mildly apologized to, let alone contacted back. Having to make another attempt at communication... Well, it just doesn't seem...civil, anymore.

I like the folks here. I admire MK and what he is trying to do and those that handle all the behind the scenes kerfuffle that goes on. But I must ask this - At what point does "sticking to the original intent" become NOT-FUN? Does embarrassing another board member justify that intent? Is rudeness part of the "Golden Age"? Again, I enjoy being here, albeit I have curbed my posting. And, again, I know that I am a guest. But, please, if I have overstayed my welcome and these 'changes' are just hints to herd folks to the door, please, have the courtesy, and the respect, to just ask me to go.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"Mission Statement"

I just used that phrase as a short hand. I think MK's explanation of the purpose of the Lounge has been fairly useful, but maybe it needs further fleshing out.
Personally I liked the Men/Ladies of the Lounge threads, even tho I only occasionally looked at them. It's nice to have a place where a more fully fleshed out idea of the various members is available.
And I do agree that some of the threads have been axed in a rather abrupt and patronizing manner. I think what's happening is an overreaction to the feeling that the Lounge has been losing its focus.
There have been threads that have degenerated into silly back and forth banter. I'm not so sure that's a bad thing, even tho it may waste a lot of cyber real estate.
This is an ongoing process. Let's all try a little forebearance while we all try to continuously reinvent ourselves here. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. (That should be in the favorite vintage phrases thread, shouldn't it?)
OK, I'm done.
Next batter.

This may be belaboring a point BUT the M16 was designed in 1956 and the Uzi began production around 1952. If they were cars they'd be considered classic by many. Both have core design elements dating to the forties and in the Uzi even earlier.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I have the utmost respect for the originator of this wonderful forum, the purpose that it serves, and the community that has gathered 'round it, and I foresee my continuing to make a nuisance of myself here for a long time to come. That being said I must add my voice to those who have opined that the recent changes seem arbitrary, counterproductive, and inconsistent. I won't beat a dead horse by repeating what others have already said perfectly well, but if the manager or the bartenders are keeping any kind of "score" regarding the opinions of the contributing members if the forum then perhaps this thread will serve some purpose other than to make us seem like whiners and ingrates. We love this place and feel frustrated that some of the things we liked best about it are being taken away so capriciously. Allowing us just the slightest bit of appropriate off-topic fun will in no way detract from the Fedora Lounge being the best possible gathering of golden era and vintagely minded folks. And yes, I too dearly miss some of the now-forbidden threads.

One thing that has been suggested is conversations about those "not good enough for the Fedora Lounge threads" be taken elsewhere. Question, since these are the people I most want to discuss stuff with, where do I / we go to insure I /we get to talk to the people I / We want to about the "not good enough stuff?"

Seems likes there has been some hinting but I am not good at ESP so maybe we can spill the beans and make some sort of directions to the best alternative site for the "not good enough for the Fedora lounge threads" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo