Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Vintage-Style Leather Jacket Collaboration Designed by You

Charles,
I think this one might be a good starting point for what I had in mind:
Mse66Xd.jpg

then add the other details to this cut, and we might be getting somewhere great.....
JMHO

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. Glad you like some of what's been getting crafted in Japan for the last few years.

Thanks for posting the info and pics. I'm tall, but every so often run into a jacket from a Japanese maker that looks like it would be long enough, except for maybe being short by an inch or two in the sleeves. I'd like to eventually go for on one of those fine Japanese jackets, when I can afford one. To me, some of those Buzz or McCoy A-2s just tick all of the right buttons. The color of the leathers on many of them are just perfect in my eyes. Hard to explain, but the Japanese jackets just seem to move me. It's hard to be broke and tall.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles,
I think this one might be a good starting point for what I had in mind:

then add the other details to this cut, and we might be getting somewhere great.....
JMHO

Thank you, Handy Mike; you'll get no arguments from me on this choice. This is one I regret not getting for myself, so if this becomes "the one," I'll be in line, too.

How do you other guys feel?

What do you think about not having button cuffs and having a sleeve design as seen in post #15?

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thanks for posting the info and pics. I'm tall, but every so often run into a jacket from a Japanese maker that looks like it would be long enough, except for maybe being short by an inch or two in the sleeves. I'd like to eventually go for on one of those fine Japanese jackets, when I can afford one. To me, some of those Buzz or McCoy A-2s just tick all of the right buttons. The color of the leathers on many of them are just perfect in my eyes. Hard to explain, but the Japanese jackets just seem to move me. It's hard to be broke and tall.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the income situ, Nick123, but if this goes anywhere, I think we may be able to do something with the length. If I may ask, what is your sleeve length in a dress shirt and what jacket size do you think you'd be? Thank you!

I love the idea of a belt that can fasten both in back AND in front....or like you mention the one I earlier posted- over tabs or half belt style adjusters.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm sorry I can't help you with the income situ, Nick123, but if this goes anywhere, I think we may be able to do something with the length. If I may ask, what is your sleeve length in a dress shirt and what jacket size do you think you'd be? Thank you!

Eh not to worry at the moment. I may get back to you when the piggy bank fills up once again. Thanks Charles for your consideration!

I'd like to keep the jacket away from the 20s Workcoat/ Canuck/ FW Brakeman vibe. Last year saw a lot of that style....
Something different for me. :)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
this thread is going to be set up to do some exchange of ideas about designing a jacket with HPA and Buzz Rickson.

The plan is to merge my Buzz Rickson thread with this.

I have two of their jackets so I'll just keep quiet and let you guys come up with something. All the past jackets have been great.

Enjoy.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I'd really like something longer. I know Buzz has the William Gibson line in tall sizes, but those only come in black. I had a Buzz catalog and I just marveled at every last thing, nylon included, so anything goes. Maybe our jacket could be made from a shade in other than regular russet or seal. Take advantage of some of their exclusive leathers (their medium brown M-422a version comes to mind...) maybe make larger sizes for the bigger guys as well.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
TMitchell59 is correct, and it was his post that started this idea percolating. The overall concept and goal of what can take place and the progression of events has been outlined by me in the intro of this thread. Right now, we just want members here to feel free to be bold and ask for their dream jacket(s) in terms of features, overall design, materials, etc., then we can begin to look for consensus and try to come up with something we all can be pleased and proud of that was a community effort and fully developed and designed by us for us. And even if you may not be able to purchase the jacket(s), your input is still valued and may help us all see something we didn't think of or add some element of style that would have otherwise been missed, so all are welcome to partake, have fun, and then we'll see if we can agree and bring this project to life.

If we can get a consensus, then I'll be presenting the concept to Buzz Rickson's for their serious consideration in producing the style which HPA will import, and all members here will be given a discount toward the purchase in recognition of their contribution to the final garment.

Okay, so let's get started and see what bunch of vintage-minded guys can come up with. Thank you.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Eric, what was that med-long goatskin one you had with the pocket bags? That's what im diggin these days :) do a similar make up with a horizontal chest pocket and ball chain Talon

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Personally, I'd really like something longer. I know Buzz has the William Gibson line in tall sizes, but those only come in black. I had a Buzz catalog and I just marveled at every last thing, nylon included, so anything goes. Maybe our jacket could be made from a shade in other than regular russet or seal. Take advantage of some of their exclusive leathers (their medium brown M-422a version comes to mind...) maybe make larger sizes for the bigger guys as well.

If we have enough interest, long fittings will not be a problem, though the styles TMitchell59 has and many of those I posted photos of produced no issues as regular fittings for guys who were tall (but not extremely tall - 6' 5" tall and above). The typical grade in sizes for these types of jackets provides a good length for those with 44" & 46" chest measures at heights of 6' 2" tall and a bit above, but tall, lean builds would likely need long fitting (chest measures of 36" - 40" and heights above 6' 1" tall, and sometimes a 42" chest measure).

We'll also be able to offer bigger sizes if we have enough interest, so fitting chest measures of 48" won't be an issue as long as we have 8-10 people who need that size. The main thing is arriving at a consensus style and what it will be made from and look like, then achieving an overall quantity that will dictate whether this is an exclusive style to us or a style offered by Buzz Rickson's to the world. I said in an earlier post that 75-100 units in total would allow this to be an exclusive style for us, so if we hit in that range, then making, say, 6 units in size 40 Long or 48R likely wouldn't be a problem. I'm far less concerned about being able to produce certain sizes and more focussed on arriving at one style we can all agree to. Whether the style is exclusive to us is a bonus but it's not necessary unless that's paramount in importance to you guys.

Okay, so let's continue to hear from members from all corners of the world - will those in the UK have decidedly different desires from an American, Australian, German or Canadian?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
That's it, buddy! Love that jacket and wish I had the money at the time.

For a repro; take off the front yokes, and add a chest pocket. Done and done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner