Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The feel of the era.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Here's one for you

In the surrounding area of Milwaukee there is a place called Fittsimmons Rd. I'm told it's one of those lovers leap/ chicken run places that runs right off of a cliff into Lake Michigan. Like many, it's rumored to be one of the places that inspired the chicken run in Rebel Without. Did I mention that it's also supposed to be haunted???

So in the fall of 92, me and the fellas took my old 58 and another buddies 52 and headed to see what we could see. And though they put two pillars and a fence to stop any such recurring activities, you can still walk to the cliffside.

I'll tell you... For some reason, it felt like a spooky place. They had several license plates tacked onto a post and it was just an uneasy feeling.

But with the oldies playing and crash of the waves, you could almost hear the engines roar.... It was a good time.

Nothing like a bunch of hoods hanging out on the edge of nowhere, trying to scare up a ghost or two!

But as we drove away, everyone commented that they had that feeling like they shouldn't look back...

I sure didn't

Brody

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I have both had such feelings

Sometimes as I drive or walk around I catch a glimpse of how the area use to look and feel like I've slipped back.
As you can imagine, I watch plenty of movies from the golden-age, read magazines and listen to music from that time. Interestingly (maybe), is that books and movies don't have that effect as much music will "transport" me to another time.
My wife told me when she hears "Moonlight Serenade" she has a similar feeling and feels a sadness that she had lost someone to the war.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Wild Root

Gone Home
Very cool stories! This is where I want this thread to go! I'm happy with the way it's shaping up.

Wolf, your wife and I sound like we have something in common! "Moonlight Serenade" is a song that evokes sadness with in me as to why I'm not sure but I feel like crying some times when I hear of it. Maybe since it was Glenn's favorite song and knowing the way he disappeared over the English Channel may have something to do with it. That song will always have that effect on me.

When the right songs play in the right places, dressed up and around lots of old stuff, it's hard not to be shot back tot he past or at least have a good feeling of what it might have been like.

Keep them coming!

Root.

Vintage

New in Town
I'm a bit late here...

?¢‚Ǩ¬¶but I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d like to share a couple of my experiences.

Every year during our vacations we I go to a small rural town, which my relatives have been visiting for the past eighty (80) years. There, one branch of my family has a very old house (amongst an apartment and yet another house) on the outisdes of the town.
This beautiful house dates from the beginning of the 20th century (the current state of the house shows it), and everything about it is vintage; either the rest of the houses on the area, the sepia pictures on the tables, the elemenst on kitchen, the furniture, the fact that there is no television, the wallpapers, the fireplace, even the humidity scent on the house, and so on . Every time I visit that house (at least the last time I went, as before I wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t interested in the golden era as much as I am today) I get a great nostalgic feeling, and I pretend I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m actually in 30s. We usually get an old stereo, and put some big band, jazz and swing to create the mood as well. (Mind you, I never even caught a glimpse of the old days, since I was born in 1990 [that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d make me 14])
And also, in that same town, there is a small fencing club; where darts, poker, & paddle are played (of course fencing is practiced as well), along a small bar. This year, my grandfather, took me with him to have a coffee and play a bit of ?¢‚ǨÀúfriendly poker?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ (no gambling or whatsoever) with his friends. I was wearing my grey fedora, along ?¢‚ǨÀúcasual?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ clothes of the era, and my grandfather was using his usual eight-panel cap. Everything about the place was great, it just felt as being back in the past. [This club was closed for some time, but reopened this year, and it luckily still has it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s old look]
I'll post pics of the house and that club, as soon as I visit them again (around December)
Anyway, those are only a couple of my uninteresting stories; I hope you have somehow enjoyed them.

Sincerely,
Bruce

varga49

One of the Regulars
I never thought about relating my nostalgic moments...One in particular was back in February 1993, Somewhere south of Westport, Washington is...well I hope it's still there, is a small cafe/tavern, right on the beach. By it's appearence it has been there more than a few decades. The old wood walls and cieling give the place a comfortable warm glow.You can sit at any table and look outside at the ocean which can roll pretty good during a storm like that day! They've got all these glass globes of different sizes that wash up on the beach every year during winter, they say from the nets of japanese fishing boats. When I walked in I got that strong sense of familiarity, which only got stronger as the afternoon passed, I recall hearing some early Bing Crosby song. I didn't want to leave that place that day. I've always thought of going back...The ocean smell, the cold air, and the great coffee are still fresh in my mind. Beautifully haunting it was! Great Idea for a thread Wild Root

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks for sharing! Good stories by all and I have to say that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m rather happy with the way this thread is coming along. Thanks a lot you guys!

I started this thread to see if I was the only one who got hauntingly familiar experiences wile attending events or what have you.

Since I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m surrounded by vintage items it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard not to find my self feeling like I stepped back into time for a moment. There is a little place that I know of that I visit often. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not a restaurant or a building but a street in a neighboring city. A small part of north Arcadia has a neighborhood that consists of homes from the 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the 1950?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re all kept up very nicely. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s some what of a posh area and the homes can sell for over a million. But, they are all very lovely homes and the streets are dotted with original street lamps. The lamps look kind of Victorian in some respects but, they are from the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and give such a wonderful charming feel to the area! The big plus that no one parks on the street! Every one parks in a garage or in their drive way. So, when I drive in that area, I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t see modern cars around. Some nights I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll park under one of the lamps and read a magazine or listen to soft big band music. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s kind of an escape when my brother has lots of friends over and they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re being loud. My car doubles as a time machine in many ways and I frequent this spot often.

Well, lets hear some more stories from all of you!

WR.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
When I first started dancing back in the 1990s there wasn't alot of clubs that catered to jitterbuggers.
There was just a small group of nostalgists and it was beginning to grow.
A friend of mine started a group for us known as "The Swingset Supperclub".
We would have dinner and dancing once a month wherever we could find a band,basically making it our own event.
The first one gave me the most nostalgic feeling.
We went to an italian restaraunt that served everything family style located in a historic neighborhood.
Watching our small group of about 20 walk through the doors dressed to the nines,passing plates,sipping champagne,and sharing the latest gossip felt like another time.
We went to see a band at the local VFW,they definitely had the right music and ambience to keep the feeling going the rest of the night.
I have to admit a large part of it was to due to the company of like-minded individuals.
I really miss those days it's nearing a decade ago.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I know what you mean! Since I started to dance in 1996, since then, I have not seen what I used to see.

In 1997 I took a trip to Catalina for a yearly swing camp in Avalon. I went for the day and attended the dance that night. Bill Elliot?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Big Band was performing! Back in those days, people really did their best to dress for the event! I remember seeing so many young ladies in WWII WAAC, WAVE and Nurse Uniforms also in period dresses and hairstyles. All the men were dressed to kill as well! I remember waiting in line to enter the ballroom and seeing all these people dressed up and I felt that I found my place! Entering the ball room and seeing people from all over the world like England, Germany, Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia I was so impressed! Every one dancing in period clothes and in the beautiful 1927 Avalon Ballroom with the music was like being in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! That was my first old time experience that I can remember.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
We started dancing at the same time. Small world.

My interests have always been 50s with a little 40s,but between yours,Matt's,and Jitterbugdoll's influence I'm leaning toward 30's/40's more and more.
You've all inspired me so much! (I'm also listening to alot more Fred Astaire,you're right he was very under-rated as a singer)

Yesterday,we had a fabulous outing.
Sunday brunch at a local old diner and then we made a drive out to Forreston,Texas to my favorite vintage store Bon Ton located in an old 2-story not sure when it was built. I adore the owners as much as their collecting ability. Sometimes the pickings are slim and others it's a treasure trove,but the visit is always one of the best parts.
They use to be musicians back in the day and have fabulous stories about meeting some of the old hollywood stars.
It always feels nostalgic there.
I hit the 1940s jackpot yesterday and bought a weeks worth of ensembles,4 pairs of shoes,3 hats,a purse,and a vintage bottle of Baker's Lan-O-Lay Cream Hair Dressing with the slogan: Makes your hair stay the "way you like it" way. For hubby: gaberdine(sp?)double breasted suit in the strangest shade of blue(Not sure of era),a 40s tie,and tails.
We're on our way to a true 40s look!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh how cool! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m happy for your success in your findings!

Sounds like you two are having fun and getting some fun threads along the way! Keep it up and show us some of the new goodies in ?¢‚Ǩ?ìVintage pics in your vintage threads?¢‚Ǩ? some time soon!

Funny, I started out the same way, I started to like the 50's at first then I was swept away with the 40's then into the 20's. Oh, what fun fashions each decade has to offer!

Cheers,
WR.

PS. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s nice to know that my crazy obsession has inspired someone! :)

How about everytime I pull up to my grandmother's house. The place and neighborhood haven't changed since they bought it in 1952. You go into the house and it takes you back fifty years. I remember all the BBQs, birthday parties and a ton of other family get togethers. It is like being there all over again. All the people are long gone but if you listen closely you can still nearly hear it all again. The wire recorder and phonograph still sitting near the door. The big L shaped couch along two walls. The sort of French Provential deco in the living room. The 50s stove and crackle top table in the kitchen. All of it still sits there.
The early fifties furnishings in the Summer house with a bar along one wall where countless drinks were made and poured. The old Zenith Space Commander still sits in the same place.
I had a few friends over a while ago and they just couldn't believe it. One of them said not to get rid of the furniture in the "summer house" because it is just classic.
Isn't it interesting that things stay the same if you just leave them alone and keep them up? ;)

Regards to all,

J

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
That's so funny,I told my husband yesterday to remind me to bring the camera when we go dancing on tuesday,so I could post my new look in the vintage ensembles thread.
Ya'all can tell me how I'm doing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sounds good! I'll be watching for them.

WR.

PS. JP, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a cool story. I feel the same way when I go to my Grandparents place too. Not that it feels like the 50's but, it does take me back to my child hood from the early 80's.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Our big band played at Fort MacArthur for the anniversary of the 'Great L.A. Air Raid' a couple of years ago, and it was like stepping back in time. The band was flanked by the high walls below the gun emplacement, the dancers all came out dressed in period or vintage style and the volunteers at the fort were in vintage uniforms. We had dinner served to us by guys wearing uniform pants, t-shirts, white caps and stained aprons. They slapped the food onto vintage mess trays in good old-fashioned KP style.

The South Pacific Dance they had there recently was similar, but it was as if we were at a dance held at a base on some South Pacific island during WWll. There were Japanese lanterns, lots of leis, Hawaiian shirts and vintage uniforms.

One other time I really feel 'in the vintage moment' is when I'm cooking, especially during the holidays. Our kitchen is all vintage, including the stove (a 1940's O'keefe and Merritt). And I love to cook from scratch. Old fashioned cooking and the smells that go with it seem to really take me to another time. The other night I had apples baking and the whole house smelled like apples and cinnamon and nutmeg. I think I spent about 20 minutes just sitting in the kitchen, reading a 1920's cookbook and enjoying some "time travel" :) .

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Most of my "vintage moments" have come during WW2 reenactments. One non-reenacting related one was while touring Hearst Castle. While the other members of the tour group had decided on the usual "T shirt, shorts and fanny pack" look I had decided to wear my 1930s resort wear such as ivory linen slacks, silk sweater vest and tie, etc. A couple times I was able to stand around by myself away from the main group and could just imagine I was a guest there back in the 30s.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
One of the easiest ways I feel to have gone back in time is simply to walk out my back door and hang out the washing. :) If I ignore the top of the new house next-door poking over the fence, everything else in my back garden (washline, corrogated iron fence & shed, concrete path) and the rest of the neighbourhood has barely changed since it was built in the 40s & 50s.

The first time I walked into the area (a fairly unchanged state housing "garden suburb" from the 30s/40s) I was literally lost - I wandered down an access walk between some houses and came out in the middle of all these old houses - it was almost like I had walked into the alley in 2004, and come out in 1944. :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Funny thing about alleys, I have driven down a few in my old car and some times at night. I'm telling you, late at night going down a small alley in an old part of town one can really feel as if he or she has gone back into the golden years. I recall one time I was driving in Arcadia and I was dressed up coming back from a dance. I wanted to take a short cut so; I ducked into an alley and proceeded to drive. I remember looking over on the seat and seeing my four cell 1940 Eveready sitting there. The soft glow of the dash lights and the light of the moon coming in as I drove down this dark alley was very film noir!

WR.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve had a lot of those time travel moments, but not very often at dances. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m too conscious that everyone is dressed up, not least because a lot of people get it wrong, and everyone is doing slightly different periods and even countries. Having said that, at our Rhythm Riot weekender here in the UK, where everyone is dressed period and the music is non-stop, by Saturday night with the aid of a little liquid refreshment it can feel a lot like you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve stepped through the door.

Far more powerful for me is watching favourite old films or listening to music by myself. I think not having to bother your mind with relating to other people is important, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the solitude that helps you slip back. Music is particularly powerful.

But the strongest I have had those feelings is when wandering round the remains of old WW2 airfields, of which we have a lot here in England. The old 8thAF bases in East Anglia are particularly evocative. Seeing something glint in the undergrowth and finding a spent .50 calibre case?¢‚Ǩ¬¶. or turning the corner of a farm track and seeing a rusty old nissen hut, door flapping in the breeze?¢‚Ǩ¬¶you can almost hear those B-17s warming up on the hardstands. They are all, without exception, supposed to be haunted. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s as if the intensity of the experiences that have taken place there has seeped into the landscape.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Over the weekend I had the oportunity to visit a 30s estate house in the country on the border of Galway/Roscommon. My cousin who is a photographer accompanied me.

Here's me investigating:

DSC_0205a.jpg

And before I took notes, I checked the place out of course:

2.jpg

DEFINITELY, a vintage feeling about the place....

Vintage

New in Town
There is an old neighbourhood in Buenos Aires called San Telmo, which is famous for its old style. It has got old fashioned buildings and anything vintage can be bought there; from clothes to radios to toys. There are many shops, musicians and bars, which conserve the old look.

7DA43261C7E94CE3A2B8F2A2633A86E5.jpg

1049BC1D88D74C4AB715D3D922D60750.jpg

8F149E744F494F209508831173418852.jpg

Last Saturday I went there, wearing my vintage attire, together with my father. I spent hours searching for old items of my ineterest, and even saw a gallery containing Art Deco furniture.
I was happy to see that I was not the only one wearing a Fedora, as a matter fact quite a lot of people were using one.
There is also a classic bar called ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCaf?ɬ© Tortoni?¢‚Ǩ?, whoch dates from the 19th century.

A51A571FA6AB4FC1BC4682F8D868823B.jpg

I tend to visit most of this places regularly. BA is quite a classic city, it has got many old buildings and traditions; it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a shame people don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t. There used to be even more old buildings, but as time moved on, they were demolished, or even worse, modernised; such a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21