Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The feel of the era.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
No ESP for me yet, though I literally live 10 minutes down the road from it. No Mutter yet, either :mad:

F'real!? They opened a great new room in the last couple of years as a add on to their lower level. It just gotta be done!

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
No ESP for me yet, though I literally live 10 minutes down the road from it. No Mutter yet, either :mad:
Both are fun. My Pop-pop is in the Mutter (for a surgery he performed, not because he's a medical oddity!), and my mom and I did a weekend of ghost wrangling' at ESP with Taps. The place is daunting enough at noon... 2 AM is just wretchedly awesome.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The Wingnut said:
Okay, I'll bite.

Back in June I went to a dance in Alameda at the U.S.S. Hornet. I rode in my friend Johnny's '37 Buick Special. He and I do the sidekick thing often.

Had a great dance, lots of fun. Johnny had too many beers.

He hands me the keys to the Buick. ulp.

I drove that beauty back to San Francisco, across the Bay Bridge, through the waterfront, through downtown and into the sunset district back to Johnny's place. Benny Goodman kept us company on the radio, both of us in our best 8th AF uniforms. The fog was rolling in and we were keeping mainly to streets that didn't have much traffic on them.

Hell of a time warp. It could have been 1943 for all we knew.

I think I just had a vintage moment by reading your story!

On a similar WWII tone, it reminded me of a private function at McClellan Air Force base in Sacramento (closed as an active duty base since 2001, but you can't take away the history) - I stayed in a cottage that housed former WWII personnel and their family. It had glass bricks, built-ins and the biggest back yard I've ever seen. And such a vibe! I half expected to look out the window and see vintage cars parked along the road. The dinner was at the nearby aerospace museum. I wore a vintage dress and shoes of the era, as did a handful of other people. The like-minded folks and I came back to the cottage and for a couple of hours I was back in time - we sat in the back yard in the warm Sacto evening breeze and danced a few clumsy steps to Glenn Miller (you've never seen such a group of left-footed individuals, but heck, it was sill fun) and just faded into the welcome feel of the past for a short, memorable time. Cheers to that 1943 feeling.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid I've never had one of those moments. As in much of America, it seems nearly everyone here is obsessed with the latest and greatest, and has no interest whatsoever in the past. At home I almost constantly hear someone blasting his stereo, or I hear trucks with no mufflers going wide open throttle on the main road. Obviously at work there's little chance of a time warp, as I am the warehouse manager for an electrical supply house. However, often times I'll be alone in the quiet building, checking in some products. I have a small CD player and I'll listen to music from the 20s, 30s, or 40s, and briefly I'll be in my own little world, even though I'm not exactly transported. Then someone will come into the warehouse and spoil the whole moment, and the tackiness of modern times comes gushing back.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
I was lucky enough to find a time when i felt this way . . .my childhood best friend and I decided to take some vintage pics. The photographer loves all things vintage so she has a room in her house set up like a movie studio, posters everywhere, lighting, vintage music playing in the background off of her satellite radio and books/movies/music albums everywhere. it was fantastic, made for a great photo shoot. Hope you like, photos courtesy of Time Machine Studios Photography
BONNIEANDCLYDESmall.jpg

TheKissSmall.jpg

vintageshoot.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Feel of an era

I enjoy those fleeting moments looking at some building or stretch of sidewalk in Cincinnati that has remained unchanged since the 1930's or before. Seeing the evening sun warm the sidewalks here after a rain, people in tan raincoats, very 30's like, walking along the still damp sidewalks. That does it.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
My "Time Trip"

Years ago I used to do Civil War reenactment. Mostly we did "living history"; which was show & tell for the public. We did 4-5 big events every year.

Anyway, we got invited by the National Park Service to do an event at Cold Harbor, Va, right outside Richmond VA. Cold Harbor is an actual Civil War battlefield with original trenches where 3000 men under General Grant lost their lives in 20 minutes!!!!

Anyway, we show up and at dusk they ask us to man the trenches in FULL UNIFORM!!!! Here we are in full Civil War uniform in the dark spread out in original Civil War trenches approximately where the original unit we represent stood and they bring spectators through my lantern-light.

It was eerie, spooky, but utterly cool. That was the most in-touch I have ever been while in vintage clothes. It was a cool experience

Pete

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
This is a repost for me . . .

Since I moved the pictures - decided to repost this and maybe start the thread up again . . .

I was lucky enough to find a time when i felt this way . . .my childhood best friend and I decided to take some vintage pics. The photographer loves all things vintage so she has a room in her house set up like a movie studio, posters everywhere, lighting, vintage music playing in the background off of her satellite radio and books/movies/music albums everywhere. it was fantastic, made for a great photo shoot. Hope you like, photos courtesy of Time Machine Studios Photograph.

vintageshoot.jpg

TheKissSmall.jpg

BONNIEANDCLYDESmall.jpg

LandMSmall.jpg

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
The minute I saw how this thread was titled I got the shivers! I know exactly what your talking about. For me it happens sometimes at an antique store when I really get to concentrating on things that "speak" to me. Going into an old building or a song. Sometimes it's a quick feeling that passes through me and I feel like I know how it would have felt to live back in different decades but sometimes it happens so quick. These are the only times I've seriously considered re-incarnation. Just like the minute I saw these forums I knew I belonged here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21