Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for your input, guys.
Is a Double Mackinaw Cruiser a big difference for wearing in temperatures below 0 celcius compared to the single layer?
Cheers,
Andy

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your input, guys.
Is a Double Mackinaw Cruiser a big difference for wearing in temperatures below 0 celcius compared to the single layer?
Cheers,
Andy
I would think so, especially in the "doubled" area, the cape portion. Around the top chest, shoulders and arms. I don't have a single layer to confirm but I can say that the double cruiser is warm as toast. For a slight negative, I will admit, that sucker is heavy!

Cliff

andy richards

Practically Family
I would think so, especially in the "doubled" area, the cape portion. Around the top chest, shoulders and arms. I don't have a single layer to confirm but I can say that the double cruiser is warm as toast. For a slight negative, I will admit, that sucker is heavy!

Cliff

Thanks mate.
Any chance you can post a picture?
Andy

Ed13

Familiar Face
I have three pieces from Filson, the same red plaid vest, a mackinaw cruiser and a tin cloth hunting jacket that I believe is no longer made. All are go to items that are able to take a beating.

I have never found the need for a double mackinaw. I wear the regular cruiser most often in the winter months going to the office in the city and when at my cabin. I find temperatures of -15 to -20 below 0 Celsius no problem if garmets are layered properly underneath. When outside in low temperatures I am usually doing something active so no need to bulk up too much.

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
I have the Forest Green Mackinaw and it's one item I would replace immediately if it was ever lost or damaged. I would love to try the Yukon Cape Coat etc. but they don't make them in an extra long.

cafebmw

New in Town
i love filson!! i had the pleasure to visit the main store in seattle twice this year, uh, make that last year... awesome! and great stuff, both clothing and bags. one thing though: a number of their products are made abroad, not only italy but vietnam as well. i make a point to buy their products only if they are made in the usa.

andy richards

Practically Family
i love filson!! i had the pleasure to visit the main store in seattle twice this year, uh, make that last year... awesome! and great stuff, both clothing and bags. one thing though: a number of their products are made abroad, not only italy but vietnam as well. i make a point to buy their products only if they are made in the usa.

I absolutely agree! Also I will not buy any Filson products marked with an "X" on their label.
Cheers,
Andy

thor

One Too Many
Happy New Year, all!

Yes, Filson gear is first rate, very tough! I have owned afew of their tin-cloth jackets, a single tin pair of pants and some of their field bags/luggage. Great stuff.

I own a 641N Field Coat. The reason for the high placement of the wool lined slash pockets is when you are seated the jacket rides up and the bottom pockets are usually inaccessable. The higher pocket arrangement allows you to warm your hands without trying to ram them into the scrunched up lower flap patch pockets.

Enjoy your Filson gear!

andy richards

Practically Family
Happy New Year, all!

I own a 641N Field Coat. The reason for the high placement of the wool lined slash pockets is when you are seated the jacket rides up and the bottom pockets are usually inaccessable. The higher pocket arrangement allows you to warm your hands without trying to ram them into the scrunched up lower flap patch pocket

Thanks Thor. Yes, that makes sense, just tried it out and I guess that is what Filson intended to use these handwarmer pockets.
btw...nice jacket and cap you are wearing on the avatar pic.
Cheers,
Andy

Aviator

Familiar Face
Andy, that is a great collection of Filson clothing you have. I have recently been eyeing their Packer coat and the Field coat and have shown my wife the pictures in the catalogue, to no avail. I think your pictures might convince her how cool they look (of course guys think stuff like that is cool automatically). Looking forward to seeing any pics of the new stuff you receive after it arrives.

ctforman

New in Town
The double Mackinaw is really great if there is mixed precip. (ie. snow and freezing rain). The inner layer stays dry and toasty even if the outer layer gets pretty wet. Of course the Double Mack is heavier and can get too warm. But I can always unbutton the coat to cool down and I'll carry a little extra weight for the added protection.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I thought the high hand warmer pockets were so you can hold your firearm in a reasonably ready position while still keeping your hands warm.

I've been looking at the Filson coats alot but due to sizing and feature issues, I'm gonna give Stormy Kromer a try. I also don't like the idea of Filson pairing up with Levi's(anti-gun). If they wanted denim, they should of went with Wrangler IMO.

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'm becoming a fan of Filson. Purchased one of their briefcases a few months ago and I'm just continuously amazed at the level of quality in every single part of its construction. I'm heading up to Seattle and am looking forward to taking a look at some of their jackets!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Yep, add me to the fanatics list. They make some great stuff.
I have:

- Three mackinaw vests (green, red plaid, and navy). Extremely versatile.
- Western vest with collar, in navy.
- Short mackinaw jacket (no. 105) in green, no longer made.
- Mackinaw cruiser in charcoal, simply the most useful wool coat I've ever had.
- Double mackinaw cruiser in red plaid...haven't worn enough yet to evaluate.
- Wool whipcord trousers (2 pair, one of 70's design with patch pockets).
- Heavy mackinaw trousers with elastic cuffs - wore it decades ago in Minnesota.
- Tincloth single chaps, great for crashing through brush and brambles in all weather.
- Both tincloth hat and cap...not so fond of those.
- Both small and large field bags, former used but rehabilitated it and it's great.

Filson mackinaw wool is superb quality. I've been caught in moderately heavy rains and only the outermost part got damp. Some items got used pretty heavily for geological field work etc. and there's no apparent wear anywhere. The big pocket in the back of the cruiser is so useful...when I remember it's there! The single cruiser is mostly double-layered throughout the back and most of the front (made into pockets), so the double cruiser is actually a triple in places.

Pricey, but look for sales or buy used in good condition. That's where I got the trousers and they're like new. Worth it regardless.

- Bill

Last edited:

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I believe most if not all of their clothing is USA made. Any item you select will specify in the description.

I'm afraid that is not true any more. All of their classic wool and tin cloth items are made in the U.S.A, but the shirts, shoes, bags, and non-wool jackets are imported. IMHO that does not automatically imply that the design, material, or manufacture is sub-standard. The contractors making the garments abroad still have to comply with standards that the Filson company specify.

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
^
^
^
I didn't realize, I believe that may have changed since I bought my Mackinaw. Well, I just hope they continue to make the classics in the U.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner