Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Just wanted to say I agree with concerns over the direction of Filson. Do what I did, send them an email directly through their website.
http://www.filson.com/filson/our-company/contact-us/
As we all know, though, the almightly dollar does the most talking. I believe it interesting that I seem to see less "mall crap" in their catalogs than when it first came out. Hopefully they will see what works and what doesn't. Keep buying the USA made stuff so they get that message and threaten to stop if they change it.
Regards,
Jedidiah

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
Orvis and L.L. Bean are suffering from the same drop in quality as Filson. If you read reviews of products on both of their websites, you'll find many of their longtime customers complaining about the quality of their merchandise. Sigh.

Yep, while I know not all "Made in the USA" stuff is always better, I know that the junk made in "other places" is just that. Junk.
Sadly, places like Orvis give off the impression that their items are "American". Then you look at the tags. My dad laid into them when we were in the store about charging ridiculous prices for stuff made in India, China, etc. I agree and don't shoot there now.
Too bad. America has to wake up. We rely on crap made by kids and slave labor overseas...

budrichard

Familiar Face
As long as the NEW customers and Sales outnumber the OLD customers and Sales generated from them, your complaints will go un-noticed.
Filson is now held by a holding company whose sole focus is on the bottom line.
Boots, Russell is still made in the USA, Berlin Wisconsin and still family owned. I support them.
On to Orvis, it's true Orvis has sourced much of its soft goods and now hard goods such as fly fishing reels from off shore, but the quality is still excellent and the company stands behind what they sell. I purchased a fly reel for my Grand Daughter, made in China and it works very well and Orvis will install backing and line for a nominal charge. Orvis is the only place I go to for fly fishing equipment. But the reel is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing or light as a Hardy made Orvis.-Dick

pak

One of the Regulars
I too have quite a bit of Filson. Who wouldn"t appreciate the quality. I however find the listed sizes, in the waxed cotton coats, are hard to figure if you are a catalog shopper. I'm not a tough fit either although I'm in between at a true 41R. As a result, I will only buy when I'm able to try on the item. This is not exclusive to Filson, as many of us know. Next time I'm in Seattle I will put the Filson store on the 'must visit' list.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
There you go, just as I started lusting after a Field Bag...

I agree that stuff made "abroad" does not mean lower quality automatically. In fact, in the mid-range it can even mean better quality because the difference in labour costs allows for cost cutting AND better quality materials.

But that is not the point.

Buying stuff is what our modern culture [read: marketing and media] dictates we should do. But it is not just about the object we buy: buying has consequences. If you buy a locally made product, your dollar (or my pounds ;) ) stay in the economy. Those people whose job I supported through my purchasing will spend and pay taxes in my country, thus supporting the economy and potentially limiting the tax or national debt increase. Which in turn can prove to be a decent deal for my kids.

And I try to never forget that said kid will one day decide of my retirement home :D

norton

One of the Regulars
I wore my Filson bush hat on a week long backpacking trip this month and was very happy with how comfortable and practical it was, I had expected it to be too hot. But at the end of the week the leather hat band was pulling up at the end where it is glued, not stitched together. There actually is a stitch through the leather but it only goes through the leather and doesn't attach to anything, its just there to make it look like it's stitched. It's not a manufacturing defect because I had the same thing happen on a shelter cloth packer hat bought several years earlier. A couple bucks and a day at the shoe repair shop fixes it correctly, but why do they put a stitch in the leather to make it look like its secure and then glue the end with glue that doesn't hold up?

I picked up a shelter cloth weekender coat last month and it has become my favorite coat. I have absolutely no complaints about the quality of that jacket or the tin cloth field jacket I've had for some years.

When it comes to luggage and bags I always look to the Duluth Pack first. They're not cheap, except maybe compared to Filson, and they have excellent quality. I love visiting their store in Duluth and their catalog tells you exactly what is and what isn't made in the U.S. Almost everything is.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Got my first Filson item today. A mackinaw wool vest in the red/black plaid for the princely sum of £25. I bought it from my usual online vintage outlet based on the pictures that it looked like a Filson however it made no mention of the brand but when it arrived today I was pleasantly surprised. It feels great, well made and I reckon it will be pretty warm as an under layer. It also looks unworn:whoo: Hopefully the first of many Filson garment to grace my wardrobe.

J.W.

A-List Customer
I've been hunting around for some classic/cool/adventure-style clothes and gear lately and came across the Filson Duffles and Field Bags. Those things might just be, what I've been looking for.

IXL

One Too Many
The field bags are terriffic: Heavy canvas, leather, and brass fittings. I've used them for years and can't seem to wear any of them out.

Tadite

Familiar Face
Filsons great. I've got a whole bunch of their stuff and I'm just waiting for colder weather so I can use it! One quick thing to remember about Filson is that they're WAY more then generous in sizing. I'm a 40R/M and I roll with whatever is the smallest I can find in Filson with room to spare. 36R... and not kidding.

I'd also recommend. Archival.

http://store.archivalclothing.com/

Made in America and part of that neo-heritage style going around. I can attest for the quality though. Top notch.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Filsons great. I've got a whole bunch of their stuff and I'm just waiting for colder weather so I can use it! One quick thing to remember about Filson is that they're WAY more then generous in sizing. I'm a 40R/M and I roll with whatever is the smallest I can find in Filson with room to spare. 36R... and not kidding.
I'd also recommend. Archival.

http://store.archivalclothing.com/

Made in America and part of that neo-heritage style going around. I can attest for the quality though. Top notch.

I'm a 40 and I bought a size 38 Mackinaw Cruiser. It fits as well as anything I own through the shoulders, chest and down - but their is a lot of extra fabric in the upper arms. It is a great jacket and the quality is superb.

bobm

A-List Customer
Boy, am I late to this thread. First, off to the latter threads regarding some Filson products no longer being made in the USA. It seems to be the way things have been going, but a bit sadder because Filson touts itself as that old fashioned, no frills, good quality, USA company that was there supplyin' the loggers and gold rush miners a hundred years ago. And they were. Now when you read about holding companies, buyouts and take overs, the bean counters have the final say and if the bottom line means more profit for selling medium quality products, rather than less profit selling high quality products, guess what products you are going to get?
I think the "problem" if you want to refer to it as a problem, is partly the bean-counters and partly the fault of we consumers demanding the cheapest possible price on a product - totally disregarding quality and the need for a dealer or manufacturer to charge more for a higher quality product. Yep, it does cost more for a product to be made in the USA, rather than overseas, but IN MOST CASES, NOT ALL CASES, I am willing to pay the additional expense for a USA made product. Also, as I see it, as companies get bought and sold by larger companies who are not terribly familiar with and concerned with the "initial mission" and commitment of the bought companies, quality tends to suffer and all that is left is a company that is a mere shell of itself.
I also do not automatically assume that products made overseas are inferior to ones made in the USA (or Europe for that matter) and I have been in many cases, very pleasantly surprised with my purchases from China, India, Malaysia, etc. And, in some cases, I may not want to spend $95.00 for a flannel shirt or $250.00 for a bicycle stand - or whatever. I guess that is called looking for "value." Having said all this, looking at the reviews on Filson's web-site, many customers who have bought the older, USA made products, are not terribly impressed with the new, overseas made products. I have yet to read a review that said that the new (overseas made) product was an improvement over the older (USA made) product.
Now, back to the OP. Great looking clothes. I am a Filson owner also - Double Mackinaw jacket, Packer hat, wool vests, Foul weather coat, Tin cloth jacket, wool socks, gloves and scarve.

Here's a question I just must ask. The tin cloth pants - single and double, - isn't that pant terribly oily on your bare leg? And if you can only sponge wipe it, not wash or dry clean the pants, how comfortable, or rather, how on earth do do wear pants that you work in, sweat in, have stuff spilled on and through them and deal with that? I may be a bit of a clean freak, but could not imagine wearing , say jeans, that I work in, hike in, sweat in, hunt in, climb trees in, etc. and never, ever wash them? Yikes!

Bob

too much coffee

Practically Family
Boy, am I late to this thread. First, off to the latter threads regarding some Filson products no longer being made in the USA. It seems to be the way things have been going, but a bit sadder because Filson touts itself as that old fashioned, no frills, good quality, USA company that was there supplyin' the loggers and gold rush miners a hundred years ago. And they were. Now when you read about holding companies, buyouts and take overs, the bean counters have the final say and if the bottom line means more profit for selling medium quality products, rather than less profit selling high quality products, guess what products you are going to get?
I think the "problem" if you want to refer to it as a problem, is partly the bean-counters and partly the fault of we consumers demanding the cheapest possible price on a product - totally disregarding quality and the need for a dealer or manufacturer to charge more for a higher quality product. Yep, it does cost more for a product to be made in the USA, rather than overseas, but IN MOST CASES, NOT ALL CASES, I am willing to pay the additional expense for a USA made product. Also, as I see it, as companies get bought and sold by larger companies who are not terribly familiar with and concerned with the "initial mission" and commitment of the bought companies, quality tends to suffer and all that is left is a company that is a mere shell of itself.
I also do not automatically assume that products made overseas are inferior to ones made in the USA (or Europe for that matter) and I have been in many cases, very pleasantly surprised with my purchases from China, India, Malaysia, etc. And, in some cases, I may not want to spend $95.00 for a flannel shirt or $250.00 for a bicycle stand - or whatever. I guess that is called looking for "value." Having said all this, looking at the reviews on Filson's web-site, many customers who have bought the older, USA made products, are not terribly impressed with the new, overseas made products. I have yet to read a review that said that the new (overseas made) product was an improvement over the older (USA made) product.
Now, back to the OP. Great looking clothes. I am a Filson owner also - Double Mackinaw jacket, Packer hat, wool vests, Foul weather coat, Tin cloth jacket, wool socks, gloves and scarve.

Here's a question I just must ask. The tin cloth pants - single and double, - isn't that pant terribly oily on your bare leg? And if you can only sponge wipe it, not wash or dry clean the pants, how comfortable, or rather, how on earth do do wear pants that you work in, sweat in, have stuff spilled on and through them and deal with that? I may be a bit of a clean freak, but could not imagine wearing , say jeans, that I work in, hike in, sweat in, hunt in, climb trees in, etc. and never, ever wash them? Yikes!

Bob

Hello bobm;

Your analysis of the Filson (and others) situation is right on the mark. I think their name will carry them through to an extent, but their products must continue to be worthy of their steep retail prices.

As for the tin pants; everyone I know wear some sort of long underwear underneath the pants......for protection from chafing as well a defense from the wax(oil). Actually the pants can be scrubbed somewhat with a stiff bristle brush in clear cold water; not just a sponge job. Not exactly getting them spotless nor sanitized, but being able to get the big chunks outta there goes a long way for ease of mind(at least my mind!)

I remember my Army Ranger days of literally living in the same cotton poplin fatigues for weeks on end, doing all kinds of physical stuff while sweating, bleeding, peeing, breaking wind and regurgitating on them. I'm still here!

Really, not as bad as one may think. They just get looking real nasty, but in reality those are character marks.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

budrichard

Familiar Face
"Here's a question I just must ask. The tin cloth pants - single and double, - isn't that pant terribly oily on your bare leg? And if you can only sponge wipe it, not wash or dry clean the pants, how comfortable, or rather, how on earth do do wear pants that you work in, sweat in, have stuff spilled on and through them and deal with that? I may be a bit of a clean freak, but could not imagine wearing , say jeans, that I work in, hike in, sweat in, hunt in, climb trees in, etc. and never, ever wash them? Yikes!"

There are two types of tin cloth, oiled and un-oiled.
I started with the oiled for hunting and had double pants, double jacket and vest.
As time went along I switched to all un-oiled, Much nicer drape and can be dry cleaned or washed. I wear the double un-oiled with braces for anything outdoors where I am in heavy cover and want protection. works great. I also had Filson make me a shirt from un-oiled tin cloth and the only thing I would do differently is to have a double fabric on the sleeves.-Dick

bobm

A-List Customer
There are two types of tin cloth, oiled and un-oiled.
I started with the oiled for hunting and had double pants, double jacket and vest.
As time went along I switched to all un-oiled, Much nicer drape and can be dry cleaned or washed. I wear the double un-oiled with braces for anything outdoors where I am in heavy cover and want protection. works great. I also had Filson make me a shirt from un-oiled tin cloth and the only thing I would do differently is to have a double fabric on the sleeves.-Dick

Yep, am aware of the oiled and un-oiled, but did not know there were double un-oiled pants! Were they a special order item? And alsoI did not know you can make a special request for a particular fabric for a shirt! If I did get the tin cloth pants, I'm leaning more towards the un-oiled.
Thanks.

Bob

budrichard

Familiar Face
Un-oiled double Tin Cloth garment were a fixture of the Filson line many years ago.
With the advent of new management most if not all of those garments have disappeared from the Filson line. You can occasionally find one on eBay but that it a crap shoot.
Filson does custom work at around a 25% upcharge if I remember correctly.
At present I have about 4 pair of double un-oiled pants, a double un-oiled hunting jacket and matching vest and other shooting apparel.
BTW, if you have never worn any Tin Cloth and will not be out among things that can stick you, single Tin Cloth whether oiled or un-oiled will probably suffice.
Single Tin Cloth pants are available as well as lined also in the catalog or website.-Dick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ