Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

Cobblers

New in Town
How did you Filson Tin Cloth guys find the sizing on the Field Coat or Packer plus zip in liner? True to size or size up/down. And is it true that if soaked a few time it'll shrink?

I'm considering buying one and am looking to wear a shirt and jumper/sweater underneath.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

andy richards

Practically Family
Regarding Filsons' website your normal suit size would be the size of the Filson garment you are looking for.
Recently I have ordered some Filson stuff, but it is not delivered yet. I wear a suit size 42 (sometimes 44) and ordered a Field Jacket in Large. Hope it fits... Will post if the "thing" comes in :) .
Andy

jeep44

One of the Regulars
You will want the zip-in wool liner for that Field Jacket. It's a nice jacket all by itself,too. I would say these garments run true to size, or a little big.
With the liner in it, my Field Jacket is the heaviest coat I've ever worn-you need a good,solid hanger to hang it up.

andy richards

Practically Family
jeep44 said:
You will want the zip-in wool liner for that Field Jacket. It's a nice jacket all by itself,too. I would say these garments run true to size, or a little big.
With the liner in it, my Field Jacket is the heaviest coat I've ever worn-you need a good,solid hanger to hang it up.

Thanks Jeep44, that is of great help.
Could you post a picture of your jacket?
Thanks,
Andy

Todd V

Familiar Face
Nice jacket, Jeep.

I will have to go for a custom order as the 36 cruiser is still too big in the chest and too long in body and sleeves on me. I cannot decide between a tin cruiser, tin jacket or shelter cloth jacket!

If you could choose, which would you pick and why?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'd go with the Tin Jacket, and get a liner for it,too. Filson used to make a coat called the Klondike, which I have, that was very similar to a Carhartt Detroit jacket, and had a nice thin wool lining. That's the one I'd really recommend, if they still had it.

andy richards

Practically Family
I have ordered the Filson Tin Field Coat with liner and hood. Can't wait to use (and abuse) it ;) ...
Here my Carhartt jacket, it is wool lined but not waterproof. Bought it last year at Cabela's in Ft Worth. A nice thing is that the label says: "made in USA" :) thought all Carhartt gear were made in Asia now...:( .

1267963739NIMG00053.jpg

My Carhartt jacket is a size Large Regular and roomy enough. On the pic I am wearing a pair of Safety Overtrousers as I was working with a chain-saw that day.

If FL members here have Filson gear, please post pictures in this thread.
Thanks,
Andy

Todd V

Familiar Face
"Semi-custom" Tin Cruiser

I recently won an auction for a Filson Tin Cruiser and thought I'd post some photos. This will be an interesting case study, depending on how much tin cloth interests you, I suppose. ;)

This is a size 38, never worn, just laid in the back of the seller's truck for a year. He had no use for it so he machine washed it :rage: and put it up on eBay. Mysteriously, the machine washing shrunk the jacket to my perfect size.

18" shoulders
22" pit to pit
25.5" collar to base
22" shoulder to cuff

I normally wear a 36S suit jacket and a real 38 cruiser was huge on me. They don't make a 36 tin cruiser and the 36 mackinaw cruiser was simply too long in every way.

A custom tin cruiser in my size would have cost nearly $300. I got a great deal on this example and off to New England Reproofers, it goes. They charge a little extra to reproof a machine washed garment, as it requires extra work to restore it. But, they assure me that the jacket is worth saving. Money well spent. I should have a perfectly fitting, "new" cruiser for half the cost of custom!

For those who have machine washed their waxed cotton, I'll post some after photos and report on the success.

Todd Vanderbilt

two2010_0930AAsmall.jpg

one2010_0930ANsmall.jpg

Todd V

Familiar Face
Absolutely, I am sending it to a company here in the states that specializes in rewaxing and they will do a thorough job of restoring it. In the future, hopefully I can relax it myself!

andy richards said:
Thanks for posting!
Nice jacket, glad it fits you! Maybe apply some wax on it to make it waterproof again?
Cheers,
Andy

Todd V

Familiar Face
...and it is back. For the record, New England Reproofing waxed and shipped my jacket the same day they received it. You can't beat that service!

This Filson Tin Cruiser, shown above after having been machine washed by the previous owner, is now full of wax. You can see that some of the wax soaked through to the inside of the jacket, but there are large dry areas, as well. Even though the jacket was shrunk substantially after the washing, I consider this rewaxing a success.

small2010_1009AB.jpg

small2010_1009AE.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
Gents,

As some of you might know I fell in love with the Filson brand. Looking for some rugged outdoor clothing I accidently stumbled over this amazing clothing brand a few year ago, when visiting Idaho.

Unfortunately I did not have too much time by then for shopping around, so I went to Cabela's and was only able to get a Filson cap made of their famous Tin Cloth.

Most of the clothing stuff Cabela's sells came from the far east, which doesn't have to be of poor quality, but I just was looking for some traditional style jackets and pants...
Also at Cabela's they did not stock every size so in the end I bought an (US made) Carhartt jacket which is ok. In the years following I've visited the US a few times again and bought some Filson garments and bags.

Recently I ordered thru the internet (ebay and on-line shops) some more and here is my small collection to shear with you guys. Indeed Filson is not cheep but for me the quality is second to none.
Have some more on order and will post pics when it arrives.
Also have set my eyes on a Mackinaw jacket...

Please feel free to add your Filson garment in this thread.
Cheers,
Andy

Filson shelter cloth packer hat, style 015.SH
Filson double tin cloth pants style 067 (my wife did the binding)
Filson mackinaw wool vest style 020
Fjällräven wool sweater
Hand made shoes....
IMG_1543.jpg

Filson wool liner style 122
Filson tin cloth low profile cap style 363
Meindl Perfekt shoes (yes, they are perfect)
IMG_1541.jpg

Filson tin cloth packer hat style 015
Filson tin cloth field jacket style 641N + matching hood style 061H
IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

Filson tab suspenders style 200
IMG_1533.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello Andy,

Very nice collection of Filson. I agree, Filson's tin cloth is extremely tough and water resistant.
Is breaking the tin cloth in any easier than your Aero FQHH jacket?
The one critism I had with my Field Jacket (641N) was the very high placement of the handwarmer pockets, but once I placed my hands in them surrounded by the wool pocket linings, it was worth the struggle.
Glad you went with the double tin pants. The price increase over the single tins is negligable.
I also like the Meindl Perfeckt.......they appear similiar to the Chippewa Arctic 50. (another great cold weather boot!)
You made some very good choices.

Best regards, coffee

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Coffee,
Thanks mate. Well, the breaking in of an Aeroleather jacket or a pair of Filson tin pants or jacket is more or less the same... Pretty stiff fabric, but I like it very much and kept me warm and dry all day.
The handwarmer pockets are indeed too high. Also, I guess when it is raining hard the pockets will be filled with water. I don't understand why Filson did not put a flap on it. That is the only critisism I have on this jacket. It fits in all my needs, love the fabric and colour.
The double tin pants are excellent. Normally I wear a size 34 jeans and went for the size 36 Filson. I can easily slip with trousers into the tin cloth.
I have those Meindls for about 10 years now, walked a lot in them, never gave me blisters. They just are perfect.
Thanks and greetings from Holland,
Andy

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Nice stuff. I have several Filson garments: Double wool mackinaw, mackinaw vest, travel vest, all season rain parka, and an older foul weather coat that I found in thrift shop. I wish they offered a hood for the mackinaw, and a lined hood for the foul weather coat. Quality is first rate, my go-to garments for winter in Wyoming.

ctforman

New in Town
Filson Fanatics

Congrats on discovering Filson. Can't go wrong with a Mackinaw-- tried and true design, wears like iron.

Also take a look at the Double Mackinaw. It's my go to coat when the temps dip into the single digits here in New England. I layer w/ a good mid-weight thermal and a second wind resistant sweater (Cabela's Windshear) if the winds are really strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic