Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The *funniest* comment I ever heard...

Edward

Bartender
Yesterday afternoon, I was out walking through the busy spitalfields market area of London. A number of people complimented me on my clothing (three piece suit, I believe cut to an early 30s pattern, though of later (indeterminate) manufacture; white shirt; plain red silk tie; black and white spectators). The comment that tickled me most, though, was the voice of a small child, which piped up somewhere behind me:

"Mummy, why is that man wearing lady shoes?"

lol lol lol

I didn't turn round because I could hear just how mortified the woman was when shushing the child, and I figured that would only increase it, but I thought it was hilarious. I can only assume the kid has seen the ladies shoes that are in a lot of mainstream shoe shops this season - black and white ladies' spectators with a low kitten heel - and probably never seen a pair of men's spectators. lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got a pretty long beard for no particular reason, so when I'm wearing a hat, which is most of the time, it forces people to choose between a hat comment and a beard comment.

Sometimes, they go for something related to being Jewish, Muslim or Amish. I'm none of those. No Muslim, Jew, or Amish has ever mistaken me for being one of their own and, despite the lack of a presence of Muslims or Orthodox Jews in the area, there are huge Amish populations within a half hour of Akron who make it clear that, unlike me, Amish men don't wear a mustache. Older folks ask about the Smith Brothers. I've had Inspector Gadget, "that's the best beard I've seen off the battlefield" (she was a civil war re-enactor), and Abe Lincoln. Some guy even went on and on about how I looked just like some economist from the late 1800s.

However, my absolute favorites are (1) little black kids in the neighborhood, who are not at all shy, asking me if I'm a pilgrim , and (2) the same kids, unable to think of Abe Lincoln's name, calling me George Washington. These are both just so flawed that they're funny. lol

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I can't say I've had anything near so hilarious, but the other day I had to run to the grocery store for a few odds and ends, wearing my typical daily wear chinos and light weight button down cotton shirt. I threw on my Adventurebilt hat, as it does keep the sun off, despite the heat. While at the checkout, a small child at the next register asked his mom, "Is that a cowboy?" She also tried to shush him, so I just grinned without looking over at him.
The funny part is that living in Utah, western and outdoor hats are still common, so it suprised me that a child would find a hat wearer something to comment about. Maybe they were from out of town...[huh]

Edward

Bartender
A lot of folks do... a few times in China I was told I looked like a cowboy, on account of my Akubra Riverina which, like a lot of folks, I bought a while back and safari-ised. I found that quite sweet as it was obviously a culturally alien thing to them, and I don't mind any sort of comments as long as they're made good-naturedly. The cowboy comment folks that annoy me are the ones that clearly think they're making a terribly clever joke at my expense - and quite honestly, it's the imbecility of it that offends me the most, way more than being cat called! :p

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are two occasions I remember the most.

1. When I was in Scotland on vacation walking form Stirling to Causewayhead. I was wearing my Wested Indy Jacket and a Akubra Federation. I ended up with a group of children following me, not a small group mind you like 15 kids ages 6 - 12.
are you a Cowboy?
No
Where you from, you sound funny?
Canada
Then your a cowboy
No I come form the city in Canada, not the country.
Have you rode on a horse?
Yes
Then your a cowboy, ever seen a in-jinn?
First nations? yes
Then your a cowboy. Ever......
and it went on.... and on...

2. Sitting in Hospital in Grand Prairie (don't ask) A child in the waiting room
Child "is that guy with the hat a Cowboy?"
parent "yes, I think he is"
Child "is he wearing a hat because a horse bit him on his head, and how he has bad hair, and he is trying to hide his bad hair with a hat?
Parent "maybe, but lets not ask..Ok"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That kid in Scotland really had you pinned.
He could have continued, but he was probably convinced.

Have you ever been near a cow? Are you a boy? Have you held rope in a looping fashion? Have you eaten near a campfire?

You may be a cowboy and just be resisting the definition. lol

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By western Canadian standards I am city boy with a little bit of country in him. But apparently in Scotland I am a true blue Cowboy. I can think of worse things to be called.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Being the only American for miles and miles in many Japanese cities when my wife and I traveled there, I heard whispers of "Brad Pitt" hundreds of times.

I look about as much like Brad as I look like Angelina, "accessories" excluded.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Then again they have seen Brad Pitt over there with his long beard as well, so I suppose I can see their observation. When not filming I've noticed he goes a tad native.

All those stories and comments are great. The odd remarks from a child can be surprising sometimes.

Cheers!

Dan

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That kid in Scotland really had you pinned.
He could have continued, but he was probably convinced.

Have you ever been near a cow? Are you a boy? Have you held rope in a looping fashion? Have you eaten near a campfire?

You may be a cowboy and just be resisting the definition. lol
I would have said no but I once killed a man just for snorin!:eek: lol lol
just kiddin! maybe

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I sported a mere goatee at the time, but Pitt's done that too.

DanielJones said:
Then again they have seen Brad Pitt over there with his long beard as well, so I suppose I can see their observation. When not filming I've noticed he goes a tad native.

All those stories and comments are great. The odd remarks from a child can be surprising sometimes.

Cheers!

Dan

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Little kids seem to equate a fedora with a cowboy hat, so I have been asked a couple of times if I own a horse.

Surprisingly, not just little kids. When wearing my fedoras in the past, I have occasionally gotten a comment about my "cowboy hat". That is one of my pet peeves as far as my hats are concerned. I don't like it when my fedoras are referred to as cowboy hats. Cowboy hats are completely different, and I have never associated my dress style thus far with that of a cowboy.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Willing to admit ...

I've been wearing my Akubra Fedora turned down in the back lately just for a little change.

I've got to say, it does look a tad "cowboy" that way. I don't know if you can honestly say a fedora is completely different.

Edward

Bartender
To most folks, a brimmed, felt hat with a fairly wide brim is indistinguishable from a cowboy hat. I think sometimes we all forget that we're in the inority when it comes to details, and the average joe in the street simply doesn't notice what to us appear to be glaring differences. Recently I was asked about my "Indy gear" when wearing an AN6552, mouton collar and all, with a brown 50s-style 2" brimmed, low crown Trilby / Fedora...

johnnycanuck said:
There are two occasions I remember the most.

1. When I was in Scotland on vacation walking form Stirling to Causewayhead. I was wearing my Wested Indy Jacket and a Akubra Federation. I ended up with a group of children following me, not a small group mind you like 15 kids ages 6 - 12.
are you a Cowboy?

Reckon those kids will grow up and become lawyers? lol

Child "is he wearing a hat because a horse bit him on his head, and how he has bad hair, and he is trying to hide his bad hair with a hat?

I so should not have read that when I needed the bathroom... lol

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

This week, when I donned for the first time my first hat, a Panama Cuenca (fedora shaped), my 5-year old daughter, Laura, instantly said "Daddy has got Indiana Jones's hat!"
I think this is very significant of the iconic power of a fedora as Indy's hat, and it comes from a small child whose exposition to the myth has been watching the recent repositions of the first three movies on TV, and maybe some trailers or news images from the fourth movie.

Regards,

Daniel

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:

I wonder if the parent was actually quite afraid or felt intimidated with your presence, "a man in hat" lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner