Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The mother of a very good friend is a retired school teacher. She gets visibly irritated every time she hears someone--anyone--use the word "ain't", even when my friend uses it in an obviously joking manner just to get a reaction out of her. If she'd been there to hear your postman's response I'd bet even money that she would have corrected him on the spot. lol

The response by our schoolmasters to using ain't or double negatives, was often along the lines of "if you ain't done nothing, you must have done something" or "if you ain't got nothing, you must have something" this was usually followed by a blank look from the perpetrator and sometimes an imposition of having to write lines from the schoolmaster.

As my uncle used to say, "Guilt and Shame rule a village." Yes, we do need for that to make a comeback.
:D
That and personal responsibility. If I hear another idiot making an excuse for some murderer or heinous criminal activity based on it not being their fault for some stupid, ass backward reason; I am going to blow my top. If being poor creates crime then why wasn’t the entire world a criminal enterprise in the Depression? Riiiiggghhhttt….
You did it now take responsibility for it. :mad:

That and personal responsibility. If I hear another idiot making an excuse for some murderer or heinous criminal activity based on it not being their fault for some stupid, ass backward reason; I am going to blow my top. If being poor creates crime then why wasn’t the entire world a criminal enterprise in the Depression? Riiiiggghhhttt….

How about just responsibility in general?
:D

Amen to that! Yes, it's not good that (fill in the blank) happened to you when you were a child. But you're an adult now; grow up and take responsibility for your life.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
While wearing a reproduction "Flying Tigers" leather jacket during my teens.
A old man passing by... pauses & bluntly tells me that I have the CBI patch on the
wrong shoulder. Too embarrassed to respond...I just kept walking.

I regret not taking the time & hopefully speak to him of his tour in China.

His name ... David Lee "Tex" Hill , WWII fighter ace of the Flying Tigers.

I don't exactly recall whatever happened to that jacket.

It is really a shame you didn't stop to talk to Tex. I had the pleasure to know him when I flew airshows in the 80s and 90s. He was at most Texas shows, wearing his AVG Hawaiian shirt. He would have smiled at you and talked your ear off, he was a really nice guy. He probably was happy to see some one remembered the AVG, he just wanted you to have the patch on the correct arm.

...Muffin tops and bottom biscuits half off. :p
Speaking of "bottom biscuits" and "half off" (sort of), when my wife and I were in Illinois recently I was surprised to see so many young women (late teens to mid-20s, best guess) wearing shorts that were juuuuuuust too short to completely cover their backsides. If I were 30 years younger I would probably have found this to my liking, but being 53 years old I found myself wondering if their parents knew they had dressed that way...and wished I was 30 years younger. :D

Speaking of "bottom biscuits" and "half off" (sort of), when my wife and I were in Illinois recently I was surprised to see so many young women (late teens to mid-20s, best guess) wearing shorts that were juuuuuuust too short to completely cover their backsides. If I were 30 years younger I would probably have found this to my liking, but being 53 years old I found myself wondering if their parents knew they had dressed that way...and wished I was 30 years younger. :D

You forgot the and not married part. lol lol

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One thing that never gets old, is when I get compliments from young women when I least
expect it. Not sure if they are being polite or what. But I don't mind... it sure is good for the ego ! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner