Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p

[video=youtube;BE-5Ye15PVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE-5Ye15PVY[/video]

I'll save that talk for later. For now they get the one about how Santa works. You know the one where Santa's workshop had a bad fire and lots of elves were killed in the fire. Yeah, well, Santa has to replace those elves for all the good boys and girls to get presents. Therefore he turns the bad boys and girls into elves and takes them away to the North Pole for that purpose. :p
You should see how they look when I mention that their ears are getting pointy. :p

I'll save that talk for later. For now they get the one about how Santa works. You know the one where Santa's workshop had a bad fire and lots of elves were killed in the fire. Yeah, well, Santa has to replace those elves for all the good boys and girls to get presents. Therefore he turns the bad boys and girls into elves and takes them away to the North Pole for that purpose. :p
You should see how they look when I mention that their ears are getting pointy. :p

"It's just like Santa's workshop except it smells like mushrooms and everybody looks like they want to hurt me."

will-ferrell-elf.jpg

:D

rjb1

Practically Family
My parents told me and my brother that we could ask for things from Santa, but that my Dad had to reimburse Santa after Christmas for what we got. That kept our "asking-Santa" tendencies in check.
(My Dad was strongly anti-union, so striking elves would *never* have been mentioned.)

My parents told me and my brother that we could ask for things from Santa, but that my Dad had to reimburse Santa after Christmas for what we got. That kept our "asking-Santa" tendencies in check.
(My Dad was strongly anti-union, so striking elves would *never* have been mentioned.)

Striking elves?! I would have called out the Pinkertons AND the National Guard as a child. :p

rjb1

Practically Family
You may have something there... John L. Lewis may have really been John Elf Lewis - those eyebrows didn't look exactly human...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, a real symptom of the decline of standards today is that we don't have men like the original Mr. Lewis anymore.

The forty-second day of the [Flint Michigan] strike arrived and nearly passed. It was almost midnight when there was a knock on the door of the hotel room of [John L. Lewis] There stood the miserable governor Murphy...In his hand was an order to the troops of the National guard to clear the plants on the following morning.

John L. who had been ill, now gathered himself for the final effort. He turned all his scorn and eloquence upon the suffering Governor who had said that he must “uphold the law.” [Saul] Alinsky describes the scene:

Lewis continued with his voice rising with each sentence. ’Governor Murphy, when you gave ardent support to the Irish revolutionary movement against the British Empire, you were not doing that because of your high regard for law and order. You did not then say “Uphold the law!” When your father, Governor Murphy, was imprisoned by the British authorities for his activities as an Irish revolutionary, you did not sing forth with hosannas and say “The law cannot be wrong. The law must be supported. It is right and just that my father be put in prison. Praised be the law!”

“And when the British government took your grandfather as an Irish revolutionary and hanged him by the neck until he was dead, you did not get down on your knees and burst forth in praise for the sanctity and the glory and the purity of the law, the law that must be upheld at all costs!

“But here, Governor Murphy, you do. You want my answer, sir? I give it to you. Tomorrow morning I shall personally enter General Motors Plant Chevrolet Number 4. I shall order the men to disregard your order, to stand fast. I shall then walk to the largest window in the plant, open it, divest myself of my outer rainments, remove my shirt and bare my bosom. Then when you order your troops to fire, mine will be the first breast those bullets will strike!’

Then Lewis lowered his voice. ’And as my body falls from the window to the ground, you listen to the voice of your grandfather as he whispers in your ear, ‘Frank are you sure you are doing the right thing?’”

-- "John L. Lewis: An Unauthorized Biography" by Saul Alinsky, Putnam 1949.

P.S.: Murphy called off the Guard.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Actually, a real symptom of the decline of standards today is that we don't have men like the original Mr. Lewis anymore.

-- "John L. Lewis: An Unauthorized Biography" by Saul Alinsky, Putnam 1949.

P.S.: Murphy called off the Guard.

Interesting to see Frank Murphy in that role. He was one of the most idealistic Supreme Court justices of the 20th Century- even if no one will ever mistake him for a legal scholar. I'll always admire him for, among other things, his dissenting opinion in Korematsu v. United States: he stood against the internment of Japanese Americans even when others- including William O. Douglas- affirmed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points