Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. sorry to crash the discussion of legalizing reefer, but I felt maybe this was the right forum for this. If not, I'm sure the bartender can point it in the right direction.

Today at work I was talking with one of the engineers and said gent was dressed in typical office guy clothes, just a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt - open collared, no tie. After he walked off, one of the younger (20-ish) helpers asked me "who's that dude in the suit and tie?"
?????????

O.K. sorry to crash the discussion of legalizing reefer, but I felt maybe this was the right forum for this. If not, I'm sure the bartender can point it in the right direction.

Today at work I was talking with one of the engineers and said gent was dressed in typical office guy clothes, just a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt - open collared, no tie. After he walked off, one of the younger (20-ish) helpers asked me "who's that dude in the suit and tie?"
?????????

:doh: :doh:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

?????????

You should have answered, "Clark Kent"????? LOL!

Foxer55

A-List Customer
ChiTownScion,

We've spent countless billions on a failed "war on drugs" over the last decades, and the fruits of our labor include the highest incarceration rate of any nation in the world. The potential for corruption among law enforcement officials who deal with drug cases has been demonstrated in scandal after scandal. Short of out and out legalizing marijuana or other currently illegal substances, the question arises as to what alternatives exist. Treating use and possession as a medical, rather than a law enforcement, issue could be one measure. Decriminalization, where possession of larger amounts is concerned, could result in purely civil remedies, such as imposing heavy fines and asset seizure in satisfaction of those fines if necessary, rather than incarceration.

At the risk of getting political here, let me offer an observation. I know a lot about addictions, more than I would like to know, and here is my take on the matter. Its all about consumption and what's causing the need for consumption. I have somewhat concluded there is a crisis of faith or self belief in the country if not the western world. Many of the historic cultural, philosophical, religious, and institutional foundations of the west are either under assault or have been demonized to the point people, on a large scale, have lost faith in our societal fabric. This has brought about a void of belief or self assurance, or whatever. Our old moral framework is in tatters and criticized for being to rigid. Hence, people are turning to substitutes to relieve stress and find pleasure and nobody is saying, "Wait a minute, let's look closely at this." It took a couple of thousand years of civilization to develop those old cultural standards of behavior and they worked because they were hard lessons learned over centuries of time. Now everyone is trying to short-cut or dump the old hard earned standards of society to get the immediate results of self indulgence and gratification and drugs satisfy the need and the void very well. For a while.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
ChiTownScion,

At the risk of getting political here, let me offer an observation. I know a lot about addictions, more than I would like to know, and here is my take on the matter. Its all about consumption and what's causing the need for consumption. I have somewhat concluded there is a crisis of faith or self belief in the country if not the western world. Many of the historic cultural, philosophical, religious, and institutional foundations of the west are either under assault or have been demonized to the point people, on a large scale, have lost faith in our societal fabric. This has brought about a void of belief or self assurance, or whatever. Our old moral framework is in tatters and criticized for being to rigid. Hence, people are turning to substitutes to relieve stress and find pleasure and nobody is saying, "Wait a minute, let's look closely at this." It took a couple of thousand years of civilization to develop those old cultural standards of behavior and they worked because they were hard lessons learned over centuries of time. Now everyone is trying to short-cut or dump the old hard earned standards of society to get the immediate results of self indulgence and gratification and drugs satisfy the need and the void very well. For a while.

Some will agree with your summary, it does however even get deeper in how poorly many individuals are now being raised up in households by "single parents" instead of having the interactive input from both a Mom & Dad dedicating time and effort in raising a Family.

Some will agree with your summary, it does however even get deeper in how poorly many individuals are now being raised up in households by "single parents" instead of having the interactive input from both a Mom & Dad dedicating time and effort in raising a Family.

Or how poorly they are being raised in a household by both a Mom and a Dad. I have seen more children raised poorly by households with both parents in attendance than by households with only one parent. The biggest difference I have seen is monetary not quality of parenting.
:D

Or how poorly they are being raised in a household by both a Mom and a Dad. I have seen more children raised poorly by households with both parents in attendance than by households with only one parent. The biggest difference I have seen is monetary not quality of parenting.

You can't buy good parenting skills. I have seen some REALLY horrible rich parents. Money is no substitute for actually making the time and BEING there.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Great to hear first-hand experience of someone using it medically. All you have to do is watch many first person accounts of how it has worked for them. This is how our legislators have been convinced to change the laws because people want it and it works.
Use more pharmaceutical drugs with side effects or something natural that grows out of the ground?
Not sure why there are people get all bent out of shape about this. It is all about people just having a better quality of life.

Oh goody goody, I can go ask my doctor for medical maryjane then. I injured my back severly back in 1998 or so, so over 14 yrs of constant chronic pain to the point of wanting to kill myself just to get away from the pain. Around 8 yrs ago it started turning into a slipped disk. But then again I went 36 hrs with a fractured wrist from a lincoln town car driving into me in 1990, & then a month with a fractured lower leg bone from the same accident. On top of that, I was doing daily military jump school/AIT physical training without knowing my leg was fractured.
So I guess I can qualify for that license. (Snorts) never touched the garbage & never will, I had close friends in HS addicted to pot & saw what it did to their brains, including 1 of them stepping in front of a amtrak train because their head was in the clouds, & another using a pistol as a lollypop, blowing out their brains.
I know there are many people out there with worse pain than I, but the common masses wanting to legalize pot for their own uses sickens me. ( General) you may hate big pharma, but then again there is no dosage control with smoking pot. Local article here in delaware, guy smokes pot because he has back issues (I think it was that) & chronic pain..so the pot makes him forget about it for awhile? WTF???

And as for absetos, the house I grew up in CT was sided with those shingles, I used to hang outmy window & play with them. In addition to handling them when they broke & my dad would have to replace them. Plus I worked in a local hospital here that has open areas of it, as security we would have to check those areas for umm, lurkers. And lords know what my ww2 german barracks consisted of. (Shrug)

Last edited:

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
And on the parenting thread... My mom basically raised my brother (50) & myself (47,almost 48) by herself in the 70's-80's because my dad worked for very small companies & needed to travel to places like Kuwait for them. She raised us with morals, with good intergity & non relgious beliefs to always try to do the right thing. I had friends that had both parents raising them in christian value homes that are, pardon my language, garbage today.
So it doesnt matter IMHO if you have both or only 1 parent, it depends on how you were raised & what values your parent(s) installed in you.

You can't buy good parenting skills. I have seen some REALLY horrible rich parents. Money is no substitute for actually making the time and BEING there.

I have seen a lot of good parenting and close knit families wherein there is only one parent involved. Quite often the respect and value of the parent by the child has been higher as a result of knowing the struggle involved. All too often, I have seen a family who was much better off without the idiot absentee parent. It is never about money, it is all about the never ending job of being a parent.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Folks, sorry if I seem to come off as ****** in those posts. I am ****** but at my ipad since it seems it doesnt want to space things out. I am definitely not upset about any of these posts, everyone is entitled to their opinions & thoughts on matters, just as I am. I made a decision back in 1979 to not go to my local HS because it was full of "druggies & drunkards" & I didnt want to get involved in that scene. My folks were & still are typical new englander strait laced types.
Then going into the army & later working for the us govt precluded me from ever wanting to"try" drugs. I know my intolerence to alcohol, it seems I have genetic defect in my liver to process it properly so I chose to have 1 drink only every once in a while.

Now with my "job" I would lose my license & also my notary public license if arrested for drugs or drunken driving. So I chose to not abuse either item, just coffee, chocolate & vaping. (Grins)

I have seen a lot of good parenting and close knit families wherein there is only one parent involved. Quite often the respect and value of the parent by the child has been higher as a result of knowing the struggle involved. All too often, I have seen a family who was much better off without the idiot absentee parent. It is never about money, it is all about the never ending job of being a parent.

That is what I said. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm very thankful I was raised in a single-parent home, given the alternative. My father was a liar, a thief, a philanderer, and a shiftless good-for-nothing no-account bum. The smartest thing my mother ever did was to kick him out the door and never look back.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My father was a liar, a thief, a philanderer, and a shiftless good-for-nothing no-account bum. The smartest thing my mother ever did was to kick him out the door and never look back.

Both tears my heart and enrages me to no end when I read this sort of thing. I've always felt that it's a father's job to let his daughter know that, in at least one man's eyes, she's his princess. (Maybe I saw that damn Shirley Temple movie, with her being mistreated when the schoolmistress thinking that her father had died, one too many times.) Likely it's a good thing that I had only sons: a little daughter could have wrapped me round her finger from Day One. But no matter which gender, a child should learn from their father that true strength in a man is best manifested within the perimeters of gentle kindness.

Kids develop their sense of self worth at the earliest age based upon how their parents treat them. And ultimately, that shapes how they treat others. It obviouslyly isn't a deficit that can't be overcome, but it lays heavy baggage on a small child that they simply do not deserve to have to deal with when they're so vulnerable. If we can agree that there is anything to which a kid is "entitled," it's consistency in expectations and parents who teach positive values by example and deed and not merely by words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy