Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The American Heroes Channel (formerly Military
Channel) ran a program yesterday about a Marine unit in Korea:

http://www.ahctv.com/tv-shows/again...t-guy-i-saw-killed-on-that-hill-at-chosin.htm

Ah yes, my father said they stacked them up like cordwood. The enemy used the bodies like a wall to shoot over and around. They shot out the lands and grooves out of the machine gun barrels so bad that the bullets were coming out of the barrel like a cork screw. Good thing the ships were there.....

What's interesting to me about MASH is that it is such an iconic show set in a war that many have portrayed as "forgotten" because it was between two wars that seem to have captured the American imagination.

The two just never seemed to go together- a hit TV show set in a war that many U.S. citizens can't even give you the basics about.

(While in school we touched on Vietnam, I wouldn't have known the Korean war existed if not for one of my great uncles being a veteran of it, my parents talking, and my own reading. I think that speaks towards how that was has been diminished in our social conscience.)

And after watching the TV show they STILL can't give you the basics about it.:doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The most forgotten war, was also our most popular war. The Spanish American War! See how many people know hat year it started, and when it ended?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I was just reminded abought the most surreal episodes during the Korean War. After the Chinese push south, the Air Force lost all of their bases. So, you had pilots and crews, that would eat breakfast with their wife and kids in Japan, then fly to war, and later, eat dinner with their family! Not your typical 9 to 5 job. It had to put a lot of stress on the families, I can't imagine, even worse then a police officer or fireman!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Not so much EOH...but, yes, most of the crime I prosecute is secondary to the illegal drug trade. And you're absolutely correct. Drugs can't be cosmically abolished. But a realistic option is to legalize them and regulate them. There would still be drug addicts....plenty of them, for a little while. But the secondary crime rate would fall immediately and amazingly.

AF

I was on vacation dealing with my wife's iPad and thus could not reply when I read this earlier. Atticus and I have experiences on different sides of the same fence (he was/ is(?) a prosecutor, I was a public defender for over 30 years), but we see it pretty much the same. The analysis begins by understanding the difference between criminal offenses that are malum in se and those which are malum prohibitum. The former are those which are wrong in themselves: theft, battery, burglary, homicide, etc. The latter are bad because legislation or popular consensus has deemed them so.

Laws forbidding the possession and use of drugs did not exist until around the turn of the 20th century. Marijuana was not unlawful until the 1930's, and legislation prohibiting same came about more in reaction to "reefer madness" emotionalism than scientific study. What also has to be recognized is that the pot that is sold on the street now is many times stronger than what was available in the 1960's: it's not a scientific test by any means, but compare the size of a "nickel bag" then and now as an illustration of this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Cannabis was illegal on a state-by-state basis under poison control laws as far back as 1906, contrary to the "Harry Anslinger Was The Devil" theory promulgated by the pothead activists. It's been illegal here in Maine since 1914. All that happened in 1937 was the enactment of a federal law, in keeping with what was then a worldwide movement against narcotics which had been going on since the mid-twenties, and which was given its first major impetus by the Harrison Anti-Narcotic Act of 1914. Cannabis was illegal in every Western state before 1930, and was illegal in most states along the Eastern Seaboard as well. By the time the federal law was enacted, about half of the 48 states already prohibited its cultivation, sale, and use.

Pot wasn't prohibited because Harry Anslinger didn't like Mexicans. It wasn't prohibited because of a sinister conspiracy involving the Hearst interests and the Dupont family. It wasn't prohibited because of a cheap exploitation film that wasn't even released until 1939. It was prohibited because it was considered -- worldwide -- to be a dangerous narcotic in a world where one more narcotic was about the last thing any nation needed.

Last edited:
Cannabis...It was prohibited because it was considered -- worldwide -- to be a dangerous narcotic in a world where one more narcotic was about the last thing any nation needed.
But we now know marijuana has various medical benefits without having the detriments that many pharmaceutical drugs have. I don't advocate the decriminalization of marijuana for recreational use here in the U.S., but I do wish the DEA would change it from a Schedule I classification to a Schedule II classification so that honest and open research can be done (if it hasn't already) to determine it's efficacy as a legitimate medication.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There are components of the substance with medical potential, and such research is, in fact, being done. Marinol, a pain medication derived from THC, has been available for some time. Sativex, another -- and, they say, more effective -- such medication, is expected to receive FDA approval next year. But smoked or ingested straight marijuana is not a medication -- it cannot be delivered in calibrated, measured doses, and it doesn't produce consistent, documentable results.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
The song still makes no sense as a song for a military cemetary though.
And MASH used to get my Korean War Veteran father really mad. He could only stand to watch a few minutes before he would see something that was totally incapable of actually happening when he was there. Klinger being one of the obvious ones. :p

I've always suppsoed that it was actually about Vietnam but with a little change of venue/date to get it on TV.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Meanwhile, as far as Declining Standards are concerned, I woke up this morning to see this headline in the morning paper --

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/16/news/midcoast/camden-standoff-ends-with-hostage-freed-suspect-found-dead/

This drugstore was built on the site of the apartment building where I used to live -- the town approved tearing it down because they felt the drugstore would be an "upgrade" to the neighborhood. Some upgrade.

It is at times, very sad when a panel of people sit and decide the fate of an older building without much thought going into the decision. Up North here in Michigan, in a City, Tawas, was an old Train Station building, it had a large turnstile, was just a fantastic building, had those metal square panels with details and scrolls deeply imbedded into each one, made of brass, ceiling panels, the over all design inside and out was just beautiful....behind and off to one side the property extended many acres and Walmarts came along and was built. The Store had nothing to do with the immediate area of the Train Station, they could have left the Train Station building alone....but no....some mental midget decides the Train Station was too distractive and that if it was torn down, something else could be there more "modern" looking....geez, they could have used the Train Station building to do anything they wanted to....yet...down this wonderful beautiful building comes down....the put a dinky small ugly little Tim Horton's Coffee and Donut shop there....not even using a drop in the bucket of the large property the Train Station was on....it could have been built along side of the Train Station, or...even placed INSIDE the building....a coffee shop, restaurant, bar, clothing store, party store, etc. could have easily been installed in the Train Station building. But nope. The mindless running the show decided the Train Station being built in the 1880's needed to go.

When ever we have driven past the Tim Hortons that now occupies that land...we notice hardly any customers....and more than likely that place will dry up and close...as most dinky things do up North....even a Taco Bell, Shakey's Pizza and an Arbys have all dried up and closed.....now we are really sorry we did not take a ton of pictures of the Train Station. However, when they close down the Tim Hortons,...and we get around to drive up North, we plan on taking pictures of the empty building and "sharing" them with the mental midgets that ruined a beautiful older building for a cup of coffee and donut shop that turned into dust.

There are components of the substance with medical potential, and such research is, in fact, being done. Marinol, a pain medication derived from THC, has been available for some time. Sativex, another -- and, they say, more effective -- such medication, is expected to receive FDA approval next year. But smoked or ingested straight marijuana is not a medication -- it cannot be delivered in calibrated, measured doses, and it doesn't produce consistent, documentable results.

Exactly! :clap: All that hippie nonsense about it being medical is horse manure!

I've always suppsoed that it was actually about Vietnam but with a little change of venue/date to get it on TV.

So much for truth in advertising then. :p

Gee, being that it was filmed in Malibu Creek State Park, I always figured here was very little realism involved one way or the other. :p Butch and Sundance jumped from a bridge there and the village of The Planet of the Apes was filmed here as well. I guess they just got new apes for MASH. :p

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Exactly! :clap: All that hippie nonsense about it being medical is horse manure!

Peyote....the indians would say, "White men go to church and sing and pray to their God, we Indians use Peyote and walk and talk with God"....

There are many sides to the "POT" debate. It is a risky item for most people to use, as it just seems to hang around where trouble comes along to those that use it often. It may not be much different than "Whiskey" to some people, but at least with a bottle of Jack Daniel's, you know what you have. Some fairly bad stories of people tinkering with POT adding comet cleanser, other chemicals....and then...what happens to the person if they are in contact with Law Enforcement...not one to say what anyone else should or should not wear, but I sure have NO desire to wear handcuffs! LOL

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So much for truth in advertising then. :p

Gee, being that it was filmed in Malibu Creek State Park, I always figured here was very little realism involved one way or the other. :p Butch and Sundance jumped from a bridge there and the village of The Planet of the Apes was filmed here as well. I guess they just got new apes for MASH. :p

My Husband recalls that place, but a long time before MASH and those movies...was up near Thousand Oaks area, many Westerns made during the mid 1950's, and some shows like Rin Tin Tin.....And Daniel says he could be mistaken but it seems he recalls a back road to the beach near Orange County that cut through farm land fields where the "Little House" with Michael Landon was filmed....he thinks that road would come out near Laguna Beach?

It depends on the person, why they're using it, and which strain they're using. I have what's known as Post-Laminectomy Syndrome or Failed Back Syndrome (i.e., chronic pain after surgery to repair a herniated disc). Having experienced nine years of treatments that either had no effect or made the pain temporarily worse, I can say from personal experience that medical marijuana was the only thing that completely eliminated the pain. Unfortunately, it only works while you're feeling it's psychotropic effects (i.e., that "stoned" feeling) and there is no cumulative effect, so for me it wasn't a practical solution; I'd rather deal with the pain than be stoned all of the time.

That being said, I'm fully aware that the majority of medical marijuana "patients" are taking advantage of the laws that make marijuana quasi-legal and are claiming to suffer from "fill-in-the-blank" medical conditions just so that they can get high. My point is that for some people, like me, it does have legitimate medicinal value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21