The general decline in standards today

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by STEVIEBOY1, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Once I was looking at a news story about an unexploded bomb from WWII that went off in Germany killing some people, and the comments section turned into a lengthy, partisan discussion of the Bush family. And what that had to do with the news story I had no idea. :doh:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

"I blame Obama."

3. And I am sure they all vote. :doh:

4. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

To take things in a new direction....Olive Oil seems to be used for many things....cooking! LOL!

5. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

If only I had become a Doctor, then I could open a lucrative practice treating ONLY those people imitating the Jackass program.
    Well I don't actually have to become a REAL Doctor. I mean, it's the Jackass crowd, duh. :D

6. EliasRDA

EliasRDA One of the Regulars

I promise this isn't dirty or nasty or anything sexual in nature.. and not all of Boobtube err YouTube is bad, moonbats, wingnuts trash beating people up at dennys cracker barrel or someplace else.

http://youtu.be/LjxHZ49cwak

7. EliasRDA

EliasRDA One of the Regulars

The video was done by me, shot at a local vets cemetery over memorial day weekend this year, soundtrack I felt was appro for it. could have used paint it black or any other nam type of song, heck even something from ww2 would have worked.

I'm hoping to go back on vets day & shoot some more/better video now I've learned more on how to control the drone better. :p

So not everything on youtube is bad, you just have to find the gems among the err trash there. :D

8. You did fine with that song. Not too ridiculously hippie either. Paint it Black would be Waaaaaay too hippie for anything veterans related.

9. Drag them through a field of cactus and call it accupuncture. :p

10. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Brilliant!
    With the pool of Bactine...as a dare. ;)

11. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's a song I associate with the Vietnam action, after it was used as the theme for a show called Tour of Duty, which was screened in the UK in the early nineties, when I was an undergraduate. Vague remembrance of it being quite good, if no MASH.

12. The song still makes no sense as a song for a military cemetary though.
    And MASH used to get my Korean War Veteran father really mad. He could only stand to watch a few minutes before he would see something that was totally incapable of actually happening when he was there. Klinger being one of the obvious ones. :p

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Did you remind him he wasn't watching a documentary? :D

14. In actuality Klinger would have gotten his wish in an instant. My Dad was in Korea too (40th Signal Company, 40th Infantry Division -- 1951-52) :p

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

MASH, of course, had nothing to do with Korea. It was actually about Vietnam, where as we all know from movies and TV, all sorts of wacky antics were common.

16. Nonetheless, he felt it was an affront to portray them as they weren't---even in a useless, stupid, backward, boring an factitious TV show. :mad:

17. He would have gotten straightened out real fast by the Marines. Either that or there would have been an accidental friendly fire incident.....

18. Then they should have made it about Vietnam and taken the consequences.

19. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

What's interesting to me about MASH is that it is such an iconic show set in a war that many have portrayed as "forgotten" because it was between two wars that seem to have captured the American imagination.

The two just never seemed to go together- a hit TV show set in a war that many U.S. citizens can't even give you the basics about.

(While in school we touched on Vietnam, I wouldn't have known the Korean war existed if not for one of my great uncles being a veteran of it, my parents talking, and my own reading. I think that speaks towards how that was has been diminished in our social conscience.)

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

There was actually a very profound line in a MASH episode that's stuck with me since the first time I heard it: "They don't call this a war. They call it a 'police action.' Makes it sound like we should be over here arresting people."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.