Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people are selfish by human nature. People are competitive by nature. Self preservation is a powerful instinct. And don't get me started on the biggest reason people think they are somehow superior and/or need to "save" others. It's hard enough to get consensus among 9 people. Among 900,000,000?

And I'm not saying it has to be that, I'm just saying that is and it will never change.

With such trust in your fellow man, it is no wonder you feel the way you do. The Calvinists in early Colonial America felt that way too. Men are evil and cannot be trusted with rights and privileges therefore we must have a King who is divinely inspired to know better than everyone else and can tell everyone what to do and think. Fortunately the other colonists eventually outnumbered them. All documented right here:
s4092141.jpg

I recommend it as a book on understand who we are and where we came from as a country.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, you’ll get that in every town. (My town was a lot like Mayberry too). J
Interesting to note you mentioned that ‘Nobody ever tried to actually *help* them.’
Seems to me that’s where a school program like I mentioned might have served them well. J

In those days people insisted that what went on in families' homes was none of the government's business.

One of the O'brien kids was the one I spoke of earlier, who got his head rammed thru a wall by a teacher in the 7th Grade. He didn't come to a good end.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
From you.

Nope. From me, too. And all I saw was HH recapping events as they actually occurred. Point A to Point B etc.

But let's set that well aside for a moment. Here's an idea. Let's call it an experiment. I'll even call it a challenge.

If civil conversations are a real concern for all members here, and we all really want that, I suggest that we all agree to give ourselves 3 whole months with absolutely no hippie bashing on the boards and see what happens. Imagine (no John Lennon quote intended - now that would be counter productive). Imagine how that might free up conversation for things we all could find edifying.

I'm much more curious and interested to learn what our members enjoy, appreciate and love about the Era we're all here for. I get what (and who) some hate. Check. Noted. Well noted.

Hippie bashing is divisive, it obviously and undeniably upsets some people and is an unnecessary dog whistle for political and partisan feelings (if you want to talk about true inferences and apparent subtext). I've not seen it add anything to a single thread I've read and I honestly think it has come up in every thread I've read (except in the ladies' sections).

We want the days of good citizenship - when we all worked, made a real effort, even a sacrifice, for the greater good of our communities? Let's walk the talk.

I'm serious. Is everyone ready to take the pledge for the peace and goodwill of the Forum? Can you?

With such trust in your fellow man, it is no wonder you feel the way you do. The Calvinists in early Colonial America felt that way too. Men are evil and cannot be trusted with rights and privileges therefore we must have a King who is divinely inspired to know better than everyone else and can tell everyone what to do and think. Fortunately the other colonists eventually outnumbered them. All documented right here:
I recommend it as a book on understand who we are and where we came from as a country.

I know quite well who we are and where we came from. I also know why our government is set up the way it is. It's not because the Founding Fathers thought life in the new country would be ideallic.

On a side note, you completely missed the reference to the biggest reason people feel they are superior, so I'll go ahead and spell it out: Religion and this idea that anyone is "divinely inspired".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On a side note, you completely missed the reference to the biggest reason people feel they are superior, so I'll go ahead and spell it out: Religion and this idea that anyone is "divinely inspired".

Which, of course, disregards the whole point of most religions --- emphasizing man's absolute insignficance and complete dependence upon God. "Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled." I think even the Apostle Paul lost sight of that one a few times.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I'm much more curious and interested to learn what our members enjoy, appreciate and love about the Era we're all here for. I get what (and who) some hate. Check. Noted. Well noted.
Then this probably isn’t the right thread for you then since the topic is not ‘lets all talk about what we like and appreciate about the era’. There are thousands of other threads for that.

How about we just follow the rules of the forum and stop trying to make up new rules and censor people you don’t agree with? If that’s too much to ask, then perhaps you put me and those you disagree with on ‘ignore’ or just participate on other threads instead? That sounds fair to me.

What child wouldn't grow angry and overly rebellious if Dad and Mom raised hell and bashed him every time he looked at them wrong...and showed no love but rather mostly a disgust with their very existence..? That is an extreme. Completely different scenario than a balance of correcting but also showing love to a child.
HD

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
What child wouldn't grow angry and rebellious if Dad and Mom raised hell and bashed him every time he looked at them wrong...and showed no love but rather mostly a disgust with their very existence..? That is an extreme. Completely different scenario than a balance of correcting but also showing love to a child.
HD
Absolutely. Abused children have good reason to rebel.
I should say, however, that I don’t think most of the hippie culture were made up of abused children. ‘Some’ rebelled because of politics. ‘Some’ just wanted the freedom to do whatever they liked. Many today (imo) still have those views and don’t like it if you point it out.
;)

Then this probably isn’t the right thread for you then since the topic is not ‘lets all talk about what we like and appreciate about the era’. There are thousands of other threads for that.

How about we just follow the rules of the forum and stop trying to make up new rules and censor people you don’t agree with? If that’s too much to ask, then perhaps you put me and those you disagree with on ‘ignore’ or just participate on other threads instead? That sounds fair to me.

I am in!

Absolutely. Abused children have good reason to rebel.
I should say, however, that I don’t think most of the hippie culture were made up of abused children. ‘Some’ rebelled because of politics. ‘Some’ just wanted the freedom to do whatever they liked. Many today (imo) still have those views and don’t like it if you point it out.
;)

Absolutely...and many of their parents don't want it pointed out either.

I know quite well who we are and where we came from. I also know why our government is set up the way it is. It's not because the Founding Fathers thought life in the new country would be ideallic.

Only Kings were supposed to be divinely inspired.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars

Come now. You just posted about idyllic Mayberry and why can't we get along like that? I'm just asking for a little effort on your part to make a fascimile happen here.

We all know very well that Hippie bashing skirts the political ban already in place. The rules of the forum are being bent if not broken all the time with this subject. In spirit if not in fact. We all know that. Let's at least be frank.

And it is not just this thread that gets the Hippie bashing treatment, as you well know. If it was just here, you're right, it would be very easy to avoid if one was so inclined.

So to be clear, you are more invested in a subject that is not even topical to this forum than making this forum more enjoyable for everyone here with very little sacrifice on your part? Even for a finite, set time? That's really the position you want to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen