Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Practically Family
To top it off, she had yelled at me to come sit down. I was hanging new curtains in the kitchen.

If I were a modern man of modern mentalities, I would say you were a wee bit bent for hanging curtains in your kitchen...which brings me to my next point.... (this is a stream of consciousness so bear with me)

Look around a "normal" couple's house. It was decorated, furnished, and painted according to the woman's taste. The man has a small rec room in the basement with a bar and maybe a pool table and a TV, but that will only last for awhile once the woman's unused exercise equipment and kids' toys take over. The point is, we always take about sexual discrimination in the feminine angle, but what about the discrimination/domestication/emasculated men of today?

Shows like "King of Queens" are a prime example. Guy is a fat oaf who loves football and his wife is hot and bitchy and makes more money than he does. She's allowed to be that way because both she and he know he could never do better than her. Women with the "princess" mentality have come to deride men as their underlings instead of equals and therefore role-reverse to the point where men are grunting cavemen and women are educated, intelligent working professionals. It's like a 50's mentality perverted and in full-reverse.

ANY men that go against this (i.e. us here who wear suits, take pride in our appearances, actually have some sort of say in the decor of our homes) are considered too feminine and therefore dismissed as "homosexuals."

It's feminism to the billionth degree, to the point where being treated as equals is a thing of the past. Face it, it's every Joe's fantasy out there to have a woman who likes to cook and clean but still has an opinion and something worthy to talk about, I know that's the case with me. But I'm sick and tired of seeing these "football widows" who sit in the kitchen and talk about how stupid their men are while going over different shades of white for the bedroom walls.

Hang your curtains brother, don't be at the beckon call of your woman 24/7 because society says she is smart and you aren't.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but wanted to interject some random thoughts here. I find the "princess" mentality excruciatingly annoying. Let me guess, these are the same females who demand that you buy them dozens of roses on Valentine's Day, and probably also issue ultimatums about when you will get engaged. I have known many women like this in my life. The media teaches women from an early age that it is "all about us" and "do what makes YOU happy," "you deserve a man who worships you."

I also believe the media (and many men) helps to perpetuate the whole "men are oafs" stereotype by things like the show you mentioned, Gene. In real life, I can't count the number of couples I see out on nice dinner dates where the female is nicely dressed with hair done & full makeup - and the guy is wearing an untucked sports jersey and hasn't shaved in 3 days. Sigh. Things like "The Man Show" and Spike TV aren't helping your cause much, either. ;)

For the record, our home decor is pretty much a mix of both of our styles, my husband dresses nicely and is well-groomed, and enjoys cooking just as much as I do! :D Good men are out there, too. You're just all fighting a losing battle against the stereotype perpetuated by the media and the rest of your gender.

I think she was just a pain lol There's good women out there, it's just a ton of work to find one. My father did, I just hope I do.

We're out there! Just gotta keep looking.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
If you have curtains in your kitchen (or sheers as I do), like to cook (or do the majority of the cooking so your wife can rest when she gets home), and don't own a sports jersey (never have never will), I don't think you're odd. If you are odd, then I'm odd too. I've been called worse. :D
My wife and I heard some girl years ago in a department store, as she was listing the items she demanded to have from her wedding guests as wedding gifts. Some of this stuff, including the china, silverware, and crystal was really expensive! I lucked out, at the same time my wife and I looked at each other and just shook our heads, agreeing that money could be spent on items you really need like blankets, sheets, A BED, or other home items. Maybe it's just me.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ It isn't just you.

Last week I was getting my hair cut in my regular salon, and in the chair next to me was a woman in her early 20s who was about to be married, and could not stop talking about it. Even though we are under extreme fire danger here in Texas, and her wedding is outdoors, she was planning to have some type of flaming unattended lanterns that she saw in "The Hangover" (great movie for wedding ideas, apparently). She also didn't plan to ask the property owner's permission to use said lanterns, for fear they would say no, and according to her, this is "my wedding and I should be able to have what I want." I can't go into any more details about her nuptials because at some point my brain actually shut down and stopped recording information.

Last edited:
I tire of that mentality that men should live in these dumps, just because they're not married. All my friends have these bachelor pads of sorts. That's not for me, I have a beautifully (in my opinion) decorated house, rooms are color coordinated, nice furniture, etc, etc. I've posted pics of the place in the 'Show Us Your Vintage Home' thread. Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm gonna live in squalor. My place was actually better decorated and better furnished than hers.

If I were a modern man of modern mentalities, I would say you were a wee bit bent for hanging curtains in your kitchen...which brings me to my next point.... (this is a stream of consciousness so bear with me)

Hang your curtains brother, don't be at the beckon call of your woman 24/7 because society says she is smart and you aren't.

It's very true, everyone thinks we're just a bunch of Homer Simpsons. I'm still looking and sure as heck ain't giving up!

For the record, our home decor is pretty much a mix of both of our styles, my husband dresses nicely and is well-groomed, and enjoys cooking just as much as I do! :D Good men are out there, too. You're just all fighting a losing battle against the stereotype perpetuated by the media and the rest of your gender.

We're out there! Just gotta keep looking.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but wanted to interject some random thoughts here. I find the "princess" mentality excruciatingly annoying. Let me guess, these are the same females who demand that you buy them dozens of roses on Valentine's Day, and probably also issue ultimatums about when you will get engaged. I have known many women like this in my life. The media teaches women from an early age that it is "all about us" and "do what makes YOU happy," "you deserve a man who worships you."

I would never treat a man this way, and I get a river of **** from my girlfriends for it. They think I'm subservient and low in confidence because I ask my boyfriend if he would like to go out instead of demanding, or I pay my share of the cheque when he's short of money, or I am unperturbed when he doesn't get jealous of other guys. He isn't here to buy me presents and "worship" me, he's my ally, and I am his.

I've recently phased out a friend who tells me each time I see her that I need counseling for my insecurity issues. Why am I insecure, because I don't make my boyfriend buy me a new car and pay my rent and tuition like she does?

I cannot stand that princess mentality. I don't care if every woman in the world thinks I am a doormat, it's how I choose to handle my relationships. It must be working, because I am one of the few girls in my social circle who can have a long term relationship, unlike the string of first dates and hookups they have.

Last edited:
I would never treat a man this way, and I get a river of **** from my girlfriends for it. They think I'm subservient and low in confidence because I ask my boyfriend if he would like to go out instead of demanding, or I pay my share of the cheque when he's short of money, or I am unperturbed when he doesn't get jealous of other guys. He isn't here to buy me presents and "worship" me, he's my ally, and I am his.

I've recently phased out a friend who tells me each time I see her that I need counseling for my insecurity issues. Why am I insecure, because I don't make my boyfriend buy me a new car and pay my rent and tuition like she does?

I cannot stand that princess mentality. I don't care if every woman in the world thinks I am a doormat, it's how I choose to handle my relationships. It must be working, because I am one of the few girls in my social circle who can have a long term relationship, unlike the string of first dates and hookups they have.

That is insane. Because you are being more realistically independent than they are ----you are insecure and they are secure because they are cutting is close to the pay for play line?!:eusa_doh::rolleyes:
I can see why they keep getting dumped. :rolleyes:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

Console yourself in the knowledge that the princess mentality works only for princesses...and princessness is a fleeting state of being. Princesses of the sort we are discussing soon age into cruel stepmothers and wicked witches....and their fickle Prince Charmings sneak away to buy BMWs and lingerie for younger princesses.

Come to think of it, the payment on Fifi's e90 is due today...now where did I put my checkbook?

AF

Gene

Practically Family
I knew the men and women would agree with me here. And fortworthgal you are very right in saying that men in the media willingly perpetuate that stereotype because that is the norm today. Any deviation from that norm means you are too feminine.

Pardon me, but I think the whole "gay" thing has gotten a little too out of hand, and I mean that in the way any self-respecting gay man would think. I would be really offended if I was a gay man and all the shows supposedly about me featured hairdressers, interior decorators, and designers. And we wonder why anything slightly creative or dressing nicely gets us men called "gay."

The media, media, media....an unstoppable force of lies and stereotypes that most are too stupid to break from. Ugh, okay I'm done...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tire of that mentality that men should live in these dumps, just because they're not married. All my friends have these bachelor pads of sorts. That's not for me, I have a beautifully (in my opinion) decorated house, rooms are color coordinated, nice furniture, etc, etc....Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm gonna live in squalor.....It's very true, everyone thinks we're just a bunch of Homer Simpsons. I'm still looking and sure as heck ain't giving up!

Atta boy! Stick to your guns!

Honestly, when I got my first place, I was the same way. I kept the place clean, I learned how to cook, I taught myself about wine and spirits, I learned how to decorate with well-framed art, I collected and made available good music for guests (seriously, Ray Charles rocks any party), I learned how to dress well, and on and on. In fact, I tried to learn the art of being a good host, as well as a good man.

All my friends made fun of me relentlessly because, honestly, what straight man would obsess over those kinds of details? I guess the kind of man that isn't a mindless slob who takes pride in himself and has dignity.

In the end, I believe it's won me the ultimate prize.

Atta boy! Stick to your guns!

Honestly, when I got my first place, I was the same way. I kept the place clean, I learned how to cook, I taught myself about wine and spirits, I learned how to decorate with well-framed art, I collected and made available good music for guests (seriously, Ray Charles rocks any party), I learned how to dress well, and on and on. In fact, I tried to learn the art of being a good host, as well as a good man.

All my friends made fun of me relentlessly because, honestly, what straight man would obsess over those kinds of details? I guess the kind of man that isn't a mindless slob who takes pride in himself and has dignity.

In the end, I believe it's won me the ultimate prize.

In the old days you would have been known as a gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes