Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, like many things, the Princess Mentality is nothing new in our culture.

Ben Pollack and his Park Central Orchestra -- Buy Buy For Baby (Or Baby Will Bye Bye You) (1928)
vocal by Belle Mann

[video=youtube;S_62m-kVds0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_62m-kVds0[/video]

Buy buy some shoesies
Buy buy some hatsies
Buy buy or Baby's through
Buy buy, get breakfast
Buy buy a necklace
Or I will bye bye you
Last time we went shopping it was all C.O.D.
C.O.D.'s the way you're gonna get love from me
Buy buy for Baby
Buy buy or maybe
Baby will bye bye you

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
They used to have a word for girls who acted like that -- golddiggers. And it wasn't a compliment.
OH OH my! I can tell you before I was married, I had perhaps half of all those gals chasing after me. I think they had some sort of electronic tracking device, I could not shake them or get rid of them.....but eventually a gal that is a family friend helped run them all off....

Yes, but preferably a red-haired version, but I like women of all hair colors ;)

So you are looking for your June Cleaver then?;)

You're a heck of a woman C-dot. Your boyfriend better know what a catch you are!

I would never treat a man this way, and I get a river of **** from my girlfriends for it. They think I'm subservient and low in confidence because I ask my boyfriend if he would like to go out instead of demanding, or I pay my share of the cheque when he's short of money, or I am unperturbed when he doesn't get jealous of other guys. He isn't here to buy me presents and "worship" me, he's my ally, and I am his.

I've recently phased out a friend who tells me each time I see her that I need counseling for my insecurity issues. Why am I insecure, because I don't make my boyfriend buy me a new car and pay my rent and tuition like she does?

I cannot stand that princess mentality. I don't care if every woman in the world thinks I am a doormat, it's how I choose to handle my relationships. It must be working, because I am one of the few girls in my social circle who can have a long term relationship, unlike the string of first dates and hookups they have.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Atta boy! Stick to your guns!

Honestly, when I got my first place, I was the same way. I kept the place clean, I learned how to cook, I taught myself about wine and spirits, I learned how to decorate with well-framed art, I collected and made available good music for guests (seriously, Ray Charles rocks any party), I learned how to dress well, and on and on. In fact, I tried to learn the art of being a good host, as well as a good man.

All my friends made fun of me relentlessly because, honestly, what straight man would obsess over those kinds of details? I guess the kind of man that isn't a mindless slob who takes pride in himself and has dignity.

In the end, I believe it's won me the ultimate prize.

As hatophile mentioned, years ago we generally called such fellows like you "gentlemen." Contrary to what many today think, a man can be masculine and still enjoy literature, art, and theatre, as well as hunting, baseball, and working on old cars...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
As long as that literature is Car and Driver, the biography of Steve McQueen, or Tales From The Old West.
No? ;)
I agree, culture is manly. You don't have to be a clumsy oaf with no knowledge of Keats, Shelley, or Poe.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

lol

Think about the days when military/naval officers were generally well-educated (as opposed to just college graduates, like so many of them today); the officer corps was drawn from the upper class, from those who had the opportunity to receive a good education. Not only did they have a knowledge of military history (as a result of having taken required courses at military/naval academies), but usually were at least acquainted with general history, political theory, philosophy, literature, ancient Greek and Latin, mathematics, and even elementary science. In addition, there was a certain esprit within the corps, its members mostly having come from service academies. Within the U.S. armed forces, this type of inter-disciplinary education among officers began to erode during WWI, when the officer corps needed to be quickly augmented, and many men with a non-classical education were accepted for officer training. It further declined during WWII, to the point where today many officers have no type of "liberal" education (admittedly greatly due to the fact that classical education is all but dead in United States universities), but simply a BA in whatever subject. (Perhaps ironically, today it is not uncommon for enlistedmen and NCOs to have a more well-rounded education than their officers.) While it is understandable to want to "level the playing field," and make it possible for people who didn't attend military/naval academies to become officers, it seems that something is lost in the process...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The "princess" mentality is a manifestation of narcissism and men can be just as guilty of it. In keeping with this thread, there has been an increase of narcissism since back in the day:

http://news.discovery.com/human/narcissism-epidemic-college-students.html

Imagine a country where everyone acts like a reality show contestant — obsessed with power, status and appearance, and is comfortable manipulating others for their personal gain. “I’m here to win, not make friends,” would be the national motto.

This society would have high crime rates — white collar and violent — as people take whatever they feel entitled to, says Christopher Barry, PhD, a psychology professor at the University of Southern Mississippi and lead editor of “Narcissism and Machiavellianism in Youth” (APA, 2010). Cosmetic surgery would be routine, materialism rampant, and everyone would seek fame or notoriety, he adds. It would also be a place with high rates of anxiety and depression. That’s because narcissists — people with an inflated sense of their importance and abilities — have trouble keeping friends, even though they are good at making them, Barry’s found.

“A narcissistic society would be a deeply lonely place,” Barry says.

According to some researchers, that is precisely where America is heading.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/02/narcissism.aspx

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I cannot stand that princess mentality. I don't care if every woman in the world thinks I am a doormat, it's how I choose to handle my relationships. It must be working, because I am one of the few girls in my social circle who can have a long term relationship, unlike the string of first dates and hookups they have.

When I was single and in school, I couldn't stand the prince mentality. I had many guys wanting to mooch off of me. I held down a full time graduate course load while working a 20 hour a week assistantship and a 20 hour a week internship. In retrospect maybe I should have tried the princess route. :eek:

Edward

Bartender
As hatophile mentioned, years ago we generally called such fellows like you "gentlemen." Contrary to what many today think, a man can be masculine and still enjoy literature, art, and theatre, as well as hunting, baseball, and working on old cars...

Or, indeed, instead of hunting, baseball, and working on old cars. ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
“A narcissistic society would be a deeply lonely place,” Barry says.

*Would* be? I fear it already is!

When I was single and in school, I couldn't stand the prince mentality. I had many guys wanting to mooch off of me. I held down a full time graduate course load while working a 20 hour a week assistantship and a 20 hour a week internship. In retrospect maybe I should have tried the princess route. :eek:

Sure, they see a mealticket and jump for it! How awful! I worked part-time as a make-up artist in college, and since barely any of the guys worked, it was expected that I would shell out for coffees and lunches. One even asked me to buy him his cigarettes when he was short of cash, and that's when I got fed up. He never asked me that again when I was through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou