Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
James, I have a fleet of slamlock vans. They have to be slamlock because that's the client's stipulation. The contract is the carriage of pharmaceuticals, some of which are controlled drugs. There is a locker for the controlled drugs within the van, but the insurers insist on slamlocks. Number of times I have had to rescue one of my drivers.

Aha! I knew you have to have plenty of experience some way. lol lol
If you had those here, hippies would be following the vans around like the Pied Piper. :p

Years ago, my wife had a car that had a starting problem. Just occasionally, and for no apparent reason, you could turn the key, and nothing. It went back to the dealer, time and time again. I showed my wife how to hotwire the car, and thus start it.
Next time it went back, she showed them how her husband starts her car whenever it plays up. Instead of trying, yet again, to fix it. The garage made an easy to use terminal so that she didn't get her hands dirty whenever she had to hotwire it. One morning, she reversed out of the garage, having forgot something, she switched off, dashed into the house, came back, car wouldn't start. Just then, our neighbour was getting into his car, saw my wife in difficulties, came over to offer assistance, saw her hotwire it and said: "Wow, can I come and steal cars with you!"

:rofl: You are a bad influence on the whole neighborhood. lol lol

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For the UK types (I'm not sure about elsewhere) using these systems, or anything else where a key is left in/on the vehicle can render your insurance invalid.

I've heard in the U.S. that if you leave your car unlocked and anything is stolen from it, insurance won't cover- same for if it's stolen and you left the keys in it. But I am not sure if that's true or not.

Also, my bumper's plastic and foam.

I've heard in the U.S. that if you leave your car unlocked and anything is stolen from it, insurance won't cover- same for if it's stolen and you left the keys in it. But I am not sure if that's true or not...
I think a lot of people would be shocked by the excuses the auto insurance industry uses to get out of paying a legitimate claim. Back in the 70s the older brother of one of my classmates had his Corvette stolen out of his locked garage; the thieves had to cut two padlocks off to get in. His insurance company told him they wouldn't pay the claim because he hadn't locked the car or set the alarm. :eusa_doh:

I think a lot of people would be shocked by the excuses the auto insurance industry uses to get out of paying a legitimate claim. Back in the 70s the older brother of one of my classmates had his Corvette stolen out of his locked garage; the thieves had to cut two padlocks off to get in. His insurance company told him they wouldn't pay the claim because he hadn't locked the car or set the alarm. :eusa_doh:

I would have said that I did both. Who would know? :p

I am tired of parents who allow their kids to sit on their front porch all day smoking pot and rapping loud enough to be across the street in the back of one's house and their kids The kids have no jobs and are no longer in school, their mothers do not work, and their properties are the eyesores of the block. I need a moat and 400 acres of land between me and all others.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am tired of parents who allow their kids to sit on their front porch all day smoking pot and rapping loud enough to be across the street in the back of one's house and their kids The kids have no jobs and are no longer in school, their mothers do not work, and their properties are the eyesores of the block. I need a moat and 400 acres of land between me and all others.
So..
I'm about 10.000 kilometers (6.000 miles) away, and the situation is the SAME.
Isn't that a shame? :pout:
Not long ago, I had a conversation with a fella my age. He told me a shocking thing "I'd NEVER be able to pull out a 8 hrs a day at work. That's for the mindless people"
Pardon me? :tape2:
When did having a job made us "mindless"? [huh]
Is that a general opinion among the young & free folks?!

So..
I'm about 10.000 kilometers (6.000 miles) away, and the situation is the SAME.
Isn't that a shame? :pout:
Not long ago, I had a conversation with a fella my age. He told me a shocking thing "I'd NEVER be able to pull out a 8 hrs a day at work. That's for the mindless people"
Pardon me? :tape2:
When did having a job made us "mindless"? [huh]
Is that a general opinion among the young & free folks?!

Makes you wonder just what line of work is "Mr Intellect" in. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I am guessing that you are about 3,000 miles from the Eastern Shore, then it's another 3,000 miles across an ocean. But those species are well and truly established on our Island. The ones that I detest are the youngsters that run amok in the supermarket, screaching at the top of their voice, arms outstretched, knocking stock from the shelves, mother is impervious. If I am with my wife when this happens, she gestures as though wringing out a dish cloth. One such delightful child had the misfortune to career into my wife, the withering stare of pure napalm that kid got had him wimpering back to his mother declaring: "She looked at me!" Man it was classic.

I work pretty much 12 hour days. Because I work 12 hour days, I cannot do things I enjoy. However, these kids not only don't have to work but can spend their time doing whatever their heart desires. This upsets me. It also makes me ask the following: "Why do I work again?" and "Why do I act responsible?" Seeing people enjoy the fruits without the labor make me feel more and more like a sap.

Last edited:
Well, it isn't all young people. I'm 22 years old, work a 40 hour a week job at a factory, help my father and brother at their shop after I leave there, and on the weekends, buy and restore classic cars, and am working my tuchus off to get my car dealership started, filling out paperwork, going to meetings for permits, etc, etc.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well I really hope that you get there my friend. At 22, what I would have given to run my own business. It would be another 30 years before I got there. But in distribution, you need a warehouse, racking, forklifts, a myriad of other equipment. A functional office, plus furniture, office gizmos. You need a fleet of vehicles and at least enough capital to pay the wages for six months.
What do you plan to sell in your dealership? Modern or classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy