Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The George Boot

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I don't believe there's a thread yet about the George boot, but it's been around since Victorian times. I know it originated as a military parade boot and apparently has been standard issue in the British army since 1952. And it was de rigueur for awhile in the 60's as part of the mod look. Can anyone shed some light on this boot, and maybe recommend a version? Sanders makes a George boot (in polished and patent leather). Available at Silvermans (UK) and Shipton (US). Note: the Sanders George boot comes without a rubber heel-piece (a cobbler can add one). Here's a picture:

george-boot-600_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward

Bartender
Can't help you with the boot - it's never been a style that has much appealed to me. It does, however, have a long pedigree as a military boot. The esign was once even field-wear fro armies in both the UK and the US (the standard US Civil war boot wasn't a million miles away from the one in your picture, though the modern, parade-dress version is somewhat more refined, of course). Sanders are an excellent brand, which produces a lot of military dress footwear in the UK. Highly recommended, especially if you can find from a cheaper provider. Silvermans have always been a great range and great to buy from in my experience, if often markedly more expensive forf some items than you can find them for if you shop around (though much, much less so than they used to be).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats