Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good German

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We're going to try to see it when it starts here on the 19th, and I'm excited about it. It looks really interesting and so far I have heard nothing but positive comments. I like the fact that it is entirely in b/w and shot with 1945-type equipment. And, just looking at the photos I've found online, the uniforms and such all look to be correct - a big bonus for obsessive reenactors. lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
We're going to try to see it when it starts here on the 19th, and I'm excited about it. It looks really interesting and so far I have heard nothing but positive comments. I like the fact that it is entirely in b/w and shot with 1945-type equipment. And, just looking at the photos I've found online, the uniforms and such all look to be correct - a big bonus for obsessive reenactors. lol

Yeah , I've done some correspondent reenacting & really loved the details of the film.

for those who are curious:
http://thegoodgerman.warnerbros.com/

be sure to check out the photobook
04.jpg

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I wanted to see this movie the second I hear about it and am sad that it's not out yet here in RI. I absolutely love Cate Blanchett and George Clooney. I have loved every one of his films that he's put out these past couple years. Wish I had the time to sing by NYC to go see it now. Anyone in New England want a lil weekend road trip? You come to me and I'll do the drive to New Haven and we'll take the train in lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
good german, bad americans, funny folks

Senator Jack & Feraud attended the film last nite, so I met them after the show.
While I was waiting for them, an elderly couple(him w/ a cane) happened by & were indecisive about buying a ticket. As they walked away, I offered that the movie was worthwhile & the wife perked up. But the ole gent was really funny, he quipped, "Those of us who were in WWII find that title an oxymoron."

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Senator Jack & Feraud attended the film last nite, so I met them after the show.
While I was waiting for them, an elderly couple(him w/ a cane) happened by & were indecisive about buying a ticket. As they walked away, I offered that the movie was worthwhile & the wife perked up. But the ole gent was really funny, he quipped, "Those of us who were in WWII find that title an oxymoron."

:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
O.k., I saw this last week with Senator Jack.

The film is short on story but long on style. This is a case where style saves a film from being a wreck. The supposed excessive sex and violence is over emphasised. The film is not for young audiences but nothing the adults cannot handle.
There is a greater volume of violence on the nightly news and more explicit sex in Glamour magazine. The music reminded me of a Hitchcock film. I have been trying to remember which one but cannot. [huh] There is good use of archival WWII footage throughout the film. Some of the transitions between the actual footage and filmed scenes are very well done.

For all the griping I have read about Soderberg and Clooney to stop with the pet projects I say give it a rest. If artists, yes I am calling them both artists, did not try to do something different we will one day be "boo-hooing" about the remake of Casablana with Clay Aiken and Paris Hilton in the lead roles.
It is a fact that filmmakers like Soderberg do not need to "copy" anyone to make a film. If we complain too much about a particular scene looking like this film or that we might as well belittle present day artists who paint in oils and study Renaissance or Impressionistic style art because, "it has all been done before".
Do you really want to see Night of the Living Dead in 3D or another Fast & Furious movie??? No? Support your local vintage film.

I hope more movie makers will try to do something interesting. Otherwise we will be sitting through a resurgence or "re-imagining"of slasher flicks.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Hubby and I saw this over the weekend. I'll admit that I was a bit antsy and wasn't really sure I was in the mood to watch a movie, but I figured I'm interested in the subject, I'm always up for seeing great costumes, and c'mon, it's George Clooney...

While the film itself was aesthetically pleasing, I thought the story was told a bit poorly; unfortunately I'm not sure what would have made it better. I thought Cate Blanchett did a wonderful job, as did Mr. Clooney, but some scenes felt a little too dramatic or over-acted.

Overall, it was pretty, but left me a little lost. I think a 2nd viewing might be in order.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I was quite excited to see that they were making the book into a movie. But when I found out they were deviating from the original book (as they always seem to do), my excitement faded. The book was excellent and I honestly don't know why they couldn't have followed it more.

Still, I'll wait until it comes out on DVD to watch it.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I think you really owe it to yourself to see this picture in a theatre... [sarcasm]I mean it's no Pauly Shore movie by any means [/sarcasm] :p , but I still think it's a good film.

Astrobeej

New in Town
Behind the curve, as usual...

I finally saw "The Good German", and have to concur with the general consensus here. As a production designer, I loved everything about the staging of the film. The costumes, the sets, the black and white treatment and the overall sense of place and time were phenominal. The cast was perfect, with Cate Blanchett never looking better and Robin Wiegert stealing every scene she was in (as usual!) But as a writer, I thought their story was thin and poorly told. I felt they had a lot of rich material to draw from, but they barely skirted most of the meatier issues. They framed it as a mystery, but never really drew me into wanting to solve the puzzle, and once they did, I felt let down by the "climax". Worst of all was the pasted on, ham-fisted, anti-Casablanca ending, where they dropped the final shoe about Lena's past, but by that time I no longer cared, nor did I find her "shocking" confession all that shocking in light of the other crimes everyone around her was already part of.

Movies like this always make me crazy. All the ingredients were top notch, but the writer and director weren't good enough to make the most of them. It's hard for me to believe that this was the same director that made a masterpiece like "Good Night and Good Luck".

Beej

Feraud

Bartender
Astrobeej said:
I felt let down by the "climax". Worst of all was the pasted on, ham-fisted, anti-Casablanca ending, where they dropped the final shoe about Lena's past, but by that time I no longer cared, nor did I find her "shocking" confession all that shocking in light of the other crimes everyone around her was already part of.
Agreed. This is one of the worst endings I saw in a long time.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Saw the DVD over the weekend. I thought Maguire couldn't have been weaker. Clooney was OK, Blanchett outstanding as usual.
The sets, costumes, etc., were great to watch.
But very eh story. I never did see the end, and didn't care.

Leland Orser seems to be a default cast member in any WWII story these days.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Leland Orser seems to be a default cast member in any WWII story these days.
Anytime I see this guy in a film I recall his role in Seven. :eusa_doh:
He has built quite a resume as a character actor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24