The GREAT BRITISH DUFFEL COAT thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Alan Eardley, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, it's Dutch. I bought a dark grey one of these in Amsterdam 40 years ago. The cloth is marked sea duffel from Leiden (a city in South Holland).

Whitters likes this.
  2. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Don't change it! Keep it original (please) since it's clearly vintage and clearly high quality. Not that I've made a study of this, but this is the best quality non-military duffle I've ever seen in photos. If it fits you just wear it and enjoy it. Nobody will notice the buttoning to the other side.

3. Whitters

Whitters Familiar Face

When I did wear it I rarely 'toggled' it up. The person I bought it from neglected to tell me that most of the toggle loops had been cut off; three remain two at the top and one on the next row down.
    To make it function it they would need replacing and if you did both sides as it was before then it could be fastened in the Male or female style. Looking at it I think I could have been unisex...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ah, Leiden. Lovely little place. Spent a long weekend there on University business back in May 2000. Crazy hot, tohugh - I'd have died in a coat there that weekend!

Quite possible. The original duffles were SB, with a single toggle in the middle, but by the time I started school in 79, the ones we all wore for most of ourf primary years were done like that - loops and toggles both on each side, so it ould be worn either way. Given that the original design for a duffle os for them to be worn over-sized and a bit shapeless, there isn't much difference between a M and F fit.

I just picked one up for the first time in about thirty-five years a couple of weeks ago - an "Original Montgomery", from eBay. Lovely, unworn, camel colour and knee length. I think I might well be wearing it in Ireland over Christmas. I also rather like the look of the shorter, hoodless version for a casual, warm jacket. Look best worn over a submariner sweater, jeans or decent trousers, and a pair of sturdy brogues...

Whitters likes this.
  5. Doctor Damage

Oh right, now I see what you mean by the original toggling config. Yeah, it makes sense to return it to that, if you can, so it can be buttoned either way.

Whitters likes this.
  6. Doctor Damage

Here's some weird duffle/donkey jacket crossovers...

301.jpg

national coal board 8a with hood.jpg national coal board 8b.jpg

national coal board 6a.jpg national coal board 6b.jpg

l0fielectronic and Ticklishchap like this.
  7. Doctor Damage

britt-ekland-and-peter-sellers-1964-shutterstock-editorial-264408a.jpg