Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

Alexwood

New in Town
Joseph E Ward homburg in black. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This one has a contrasting ribbon and binding, but it's hard to say if that was intentional or that they just lost their colour over time. I like the effect though. Sold by Kioes of Luxembourg. Georges Kioes was the successor of Waldbillig somewhere between 1935 and 1962. So this hat is centrainly before 1962. Late forties or early fifties would be my guess. The brim is still a bit uneven, likely because of the way at was stored.

Waldbillig1913.jpg

ward homburg kioes_01.jpg

ward homburg kioes_02.jpg

ward homburg kioes_03.jpg

ward homburg kioes_04.jpg

ward homburg kioes_05.jpg

ward homburg kioes_06.jpg

ward homburg kioes_07.jpg

ward homburg kioes_08.jpg

ward homburg kioes_09.jpg
I really like the two tone, a stellar hat!

Alexwood

New in Town
Super find. As Stefan says, lots of Homburgs around, but not many in blue. Strange really as they really do look great in that colour. I have 3 or 4 myself. Hard to catch the shade in a photo.

Yours is most definitely from the 1950s. George VI died in 1952. Woodrow wouldn't still refer to the late king into the 60s.

It was made by J Woodrow & Son of Stockport, one of the Manchester hatmakers.
Thanks for the information, I remember my grandpa used to wear nice fedoras and beautiful wool suits, I wish I had appreciated hats more when I was younger.

The Tress Hat Company

The Tress Hat Co doesn’t have a thread of its own but is mentioned a few times throughout this thread, so I’ll add this here. Some of this could have been previously posted.

The Tress & Co. was established in 1846 and was finally taken over by Christy’s in 1953. Its hats were sold globally and received prize medals at exhibitions in Paris 1855, 1867 & 1878, London 1862, Philadelphia 1876, Sydney 1879 and Calcutta. It was a huge operation. The main manufacturing base was at Southwark in London, pictured below. The only remaining part of this complex is now the Mad Hatter Hotel on Stamford Street. It also had manufacturing in Luton.

IMG_4017.png

Tress & Co was granted a patent on a stereograph-like process & viewer that they used as a salesman’s catalog, giving their hats a 3D-like quality instead of being just two dimensional on paper. These stereographs are now in a private collection. There could be more out there.

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_4014.jpeg

Their Model KK 36 reminds me of the Stetson Congress, a style I like a lot.

IMG_7518.jpeg

The Tress Hat Company

The Tress Hat Co doesn’t have a thread of its own but is mentioned a few times throughout this thread, so I’ll add this here. Some of this could have been previously posted.

The Tress & Co. was established in 1846 and was finally taken over by Christy’s in 1953. Its hats were sold globally and received prize medals at exhibitions in Paris 1855, 1867 & 1878, London 1862, Philadelphia 1876, Sydney 1879 and Calcutta. It was a huge operation. The main manufacturing base was at Southwark in London, pictured below. The only remaining part of this complex is now the Mad Hatter Hotel on Stamford Street. It also had manufacturing in Luton.

View attachment 555213

Tress & Co was granted a patent on a stereograph-like process & viewer that they used as a salesman’s catalog, giving their hats a 3D-like quality instead of being just two dimensional on paper. These stereographs are now in a private collection. There could be more out there.

View attachment 555214
View attachment 555220
View attachment 555219
View attachment 555218
View attachment 555217
View attachment 555216
View attachment 555215

Their Model KK 36 reminds me of the Stetson Congress, a style I like a lot.

View attachment 555221
Fantastic information, Jack. Thanks for posting this. Would love to find me one of these. That KK36 model is indeed an atractive style.

It's been way too long since anyone posted here.
Lock&Co heather felt fedora. Size 57 with the overwelted and triple stitched brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. At least partly woolfelt, but how it could and should be done. I have the feeling this one is early, likely pre-war. Not a lightweight felt at 156 grams nor a very refined hand to it, but still. A fine shark-gill bow on it to top it off.
I've been critical of Lock&Co in the past and in a way I still am. They could and did produce fine hats back in the day though.

lock heather_01.jpg

lock heather_02.jpg

lock heather_03.jpg

lock heather_04.jpg

lock heather_06.jpg

lock heather_07.jpg

lock heather_08.jpg

lock heather_09.jpg

lock heather_10.jpg

lock heather_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Lock&Co heather felt fedora. Size 57 with the overwelted and triple stitched brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. At least partly woolfelt, but how it could and should be done. I have the feeling this one is early, likely pre-war. Not a lightweight felt at 156 grams nor a very refined hand to it, but still. A fine shark-gill bow on it to top it off.
I've been critical of Lock&Co in the past and in a way I still am. They could and did produce fine hats back in the day though.

lock heather_01.jpg

lock heather_02.jpg

lock heather_03.jpg

lock heather_04.jpg

lock heather_06.jpg

lock heather_07.jpg

lock heather_08.jpg

lock heather_09.jpg

lock heather_10.jpg

lock heather_11.jpg
Finally, a Lock & Co you like, Stefan. Great find.

PanosChris

Practically Family

lock heather_01.jpg

lock heather_02.jpg

lock heather_03.jpg

lock heather_04.jpg

lock heather_06.jpg

lock heather_07.jpg

lock heather_08.jpg

lock heather_09.jpg

lock heather_10.jpg

lock heather_11.jpg
Fantastic, Stefan! Your recent posts reminded me of the old good days of regular stellar finds

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars

lock heather_01.jpg

lock heather_02.jpg

lock heather_03.jpg

lock heather_04.jpg

lock heather_06.jpg

lock heather_07.jpg

lock heather_08.jpg

lock heather_09.jpg

lock heather_10.jpg

lock heather_11.jpg
Great find Stefan! I'm quite taken by the texture and colour of this. I personally quite like the rugged nature of wool felt - provided it's executed as well as your fine example from Lock & Co. Do let me know if you ever tire of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider