Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The great hatters, by country

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
But t would probably cost you more than £35 to get all the materials together, research the dimensions and make one.

£25 from Patey's is not that bad IMHO.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Not necessarily that expensive to make my own. It would only have to be in my size, not adjustable, so all it would have to be is a piece of 1cm thick wood cut to the shape of my head. I saw someone else do this on another thread. Since I have suitable wood, I might do this when I have time.

And about Locke, they sent my hat back a day after they called me, so they worked quickly. What a shame that I was not at home most of last week, so I will have to make my way to the post office to collect it. I'll post details of how well the job was done when I see my hat.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
A gallery of English hats of the 1930's

I am always meaning to create a proper thread to post my research into British hat manufacturers; as yet I have not had time to consolidate my research, so here is a 'gallery' of some of the 1930's hats from my collection.

As a tip- James Lock & Co. St James Street London (not Locke) was the very finest British hatters in its day (but can be entirely disregarded as low-grade mass produced nonsense nowadays) I think of Dunn & Co as the English equivalent to Disney- stylish, bold, youthful and Battersby, Henry Heath and Lincoln Bennett as the classic, understated, austere British hat. For the time being, I hope these pictures will whet your appetite for fine British hats of days gone- long gone.

My favourite Dunn, box dated 1933:
Dunn1.jpg

dunn1_logo.jpg

A similar Homburg, Dunn & Co, early 30's:
dunn2.jpg

dunn2_inside.jpg

An exceptionally fine Lock & Co in the long running 652 style:
lockco.jpg

lockco_inner.jpg

A batterby Ambassador; top of the Battersby range, other hats in the portfolio included "The Diplomat" (Picture to be posted later)
battersby_profile.jpg

A couple of classic French gray snap brims that epitomise the era. The first is a provincial Ceres dated 1939, the second displays the panache of G.A Dunn & Co.
ceres_front.jpg

... & the Dunn:
great_dunn.jpg

Finally an early G.A. Dunn & Co. pamphlet circa 33'
Dunn-catalogue_inside.jpg

There is nothing left in England- we've forgotten how to make hats like this. The current offerings are poor quality by comparison, go vintage or go to Polkap Poland- they're the best new hats for vintage styling I've found in Europe .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace