Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Great Suit Trading Thread***

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Okay all,

So you find yourself with plenty of vintage suits not your size. So do I. Well, it turns out I am the size of the suits you find, and you are the size of the suits I find.

Welcome to The Great Suit Trading Thread.

The goal is simple - let's exchange vintage suits we find so that I can trade you a suit in your size, and you can trade me one in yours.

You may be asking...why suit trading?

Well, I do a lot of thrifting and I regularly come across vintage suits 1930s-1960s. Sometimes I luck out and they fit. About 75% of the time, they do not. Given the nature of the vintage market, a lot of suits aren't exactly selling for gold these days, especially 1960s suits, which I actually quite like. I search for vintage suits because I love it. The thrill of the hunt, the find, the 'rescue' of Americana (or Britainicana, etc) we'll call it. I'm not necessarily purchasing them to sell to make money. Honestly, I'd much rather prefer them all to be in my size so I could keep them. Alas, it is not to be so. So what's the next best thing? How about seeing a not-in-your-size suit saved by having a fellow vintage enthusiast comrade-in-arms appreciate it? Also, if I know ahead of time what some people are looking for and happen to see it when out and about, I can purchase right away knowing that there will be a possible interest in a trade, especially with harder-to-find sizes.

2 things are needed to make this happen smoothly - correct sizes and honesty. Because this works on the honor system, we'd appreciate all participants taking a high road, meaning correct sizes/descriptions and actually owning the suit they post and shipping it out when a trade is made. Please participate at your own risk. Now, let's keep it real and have some fun!

How it works...

First things first, we need to know what your size is. Please put the generic size of suit you wear (37S, 44L, 42R, etc) at the very top of your post in red so everyone will know what you are looking for (Please do this each time you post up something for trade). After that, you can add details to your sizing if you wish (sleeve length, inseam, etc). Next, you will be posting up suits that you have for trade...

When posting a suit, please put the generic size of the suit in the working title of the suit up for trade. Putting the size of the suit in red will help folks zero in on the size of the suit. After that, please attach some pictures of the suit up for trade, along with some helpful, detailed measurements. A little description never hurt either.

From there, it is just a matter of getting a good sizable inventory of trade-able suits going.

Finding a suit...

When browsing this thread, if you happen to come across a suit up for trade and you see that the owner is looking for a size of suit you have, you may propose a trade. Email or PM may work for a contact. From there, as the 'trader', you can reference your suit to the 'tradee' and once you both are in agreement on a trade, wonderful things can happen. If your suit is successfully traded, please remove your listing or simply put in large letters (again, red helps) SUCCESSFULLY TRADED.

Let's keep realistic expectations - I'm not going to post up a moth hole-ridden 1960s suit and hope to trade for an NRA beltback (unless of course said owner of NRA beltback is just so happening to look for a moth hole-ridden 60s suit...then I'm all to oblige). I think comparable/equivalent trades would be a good place to start.

So, without further ado...let's get trading! I've got 4 beauties to post up immediately...stay tuned!

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
My suit size: 38R

As #1 of 4 suits, I offer up the following suit for a trade:

1950s blue gabardine suit with patch pockets and hollywood waist SIZE 42

What I'm looking to trade for: Any type of equivalent 1950s suit, in size 38R, preferably heavier fabric and interesting colors. But heck, shoot me what ya got!

P4038811-vi.jpg

This suit is quite a fantastic find. It is made by Clothcraft and has a 1949 Union label. What's funny is I found a near identical suit to this one on ebay, it may have even been the exact same size (can't find the link for some reason now).

The fabric on this suit is a straight blue gabardine with no pattern. The jacket features 3 patch pockets and medium/thick shoulder padding. The pants have a hollywood waist, metal zipper, nice cuffs and suspender buttons. It has a code on the inside arm lining that could mean a date of 3/9/1955, or just a random number. The date would surely fit.

Condition: This suit is just barely starting to show the faintest of ironing wear. While it doesn't really have anything obvious, one would be wise to take care in ironing this suit, as the plain fabric will hide nothing. The suit jacket has one teeny tiny moth hole on the right lapel, which could probably be easily fixed, if one wanted to even bother with fixing it. The pants have a seam near the top clasp that is coming undone (about 1/2" worth). Other than that, I see no stains, rips, tears, moth holes, or funny business. No armpit staining. The lining is quite nice. I really like this one.

Sizing:

Jacket-

Chest - 44"
Shoulders - 19"
Waist - 42.5"
Sleeves - 26" + 1.5" extra
OAL - 34"

Pants-

OAL - 42" + .5" extra
Inseam - 30 3/4"
Cuff - 19"
Waist - 33" + 2" extra

Please see more pictures:

P4038812-vi.jpg

Moth hole:
P4038813-vi.jpg

P4038814-vi.jpg

P4038815-vi.jpg

P4038816-vi.jpg

Possible date stamp and sizing stamp?:

P4038817-vi.jpg

P4038818-vi.jpg

P4038819-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars

Suit #2 - 1950s German suit SIZE 40

What I'm looking to trade for: Any comparable 1950s/1960s suit. I really wish this one would have fit me!

P4038803-vi.jpg

What a find! This is a wonderful 1950s German suit that is in near-mint condition! Seriously, the only fault I can find with it is that one single sleeve button is broken BUT - and here is the best part - the jacket still has a spare sleeve and jacket button sewn in it! One of the best parts about this suit is the fabric. It is a very heavy fabric that has incredible drape. It is so heavy or has so much substance to it (especially in the front) that I thought there was some type of brochure in the inside pocket. The other nice thing about the fabric is the color. It is a wonderful granite color with bits of turquoise thrown in - a very handsome, colorful yet conservative fabric. This one was tough to decide to part with - the pants actually fit me pretty well but the jacket is so ridiculously large on me it looks like I'm wearing a sack. There is no maker tag, no label, no date stamp, etc. There is an art-deco Ruhr zipper, but that is it. The pants have a hollywood waist, just like the first suit.

Condition - Apart from the broken button (of which there is a spare), flawless. Feels new.

Sizing:

Jacket-

Chest - 42"
Shoulders - 19"
Waist - 40.5"
Sleeves - 24.5" + 2" extra
OAL - 32"

Pants-

OAL - 41" + 1.5" extra
Inseam - 29 1/4"
Cuff - 19"
Waist - 31" + 3 1/4" extra

Pictures:

P4038803-vi.jpg

P4038804-vi.jpg

P4038805-vi.jpg

P4038806-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars

Suit #3: 1940's double-breasted peak lapel suit, SIZE 40

What I'm looking to trade for: Any 1940s suit in size 38R, but will give strong preference to SB notch lapel or SB peak lapel. I wouldn't mind another DB peak lapel, but would want thick fabric or a sensational pattern/color:)

P4038792-vi.jpg

Up for trade is a very nice DB suit in a conservative greyish tan herringbone pattern, with a slight touch of blue. This one is a Denver native and has probably never left the state. Suit originally purchased at Bernards on 70 Broadway, Denver, CO. I drive past there all the time. The suit is of a lighter-weight fabric, which will be great for summer wear. The button stance of this suit indicates post war. It has a 1939 Union tag, so I am estimating the date of this one to be 1946-1949. On the inside of the pants, there is a '46' that is stamped in it. Is it a date? A manufacturer number? I'm not entirely sure. It could very well be the date and if so, that puts this one at 1946. I have seen more colorful labels starting to appear post-war as well, and this one is no exception. A very nice suit.

Condition - EXC+. The only real flaw I can find is that the jacket buttonholes are a little 'loose-ish'...the sewing isn't coming undone, but doesn't quite feel as tight as a new jacket would be. Also, one button on the sleeve is dangling, about to fall off - but still there! Just needs to be re-stitched. I can find no tears, rips, major stains, moth holes, etc. This is a good one.

Sizing:

Jacket-

Chest - 42"
Shoulders - 19"
Waist - 40"
Sleeves - 25" + 1.5" extra
OAL - 32"

Pants-

OAL - 43" + 1" extra
Inseam - 30"
Cuff - 18.5"
Waist - 33" + 2" extra

See pictures:

P4038794-vi.jpg

Another hollywood waist:

P4038795-vi.jpg

P4038797-vi.jpg

P4038798-vi.jpg

P4038799-vi.jpg

Fabric close-up:

P4038800-vi.jpg

P4038807-vi.jpg

P4038808-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars

Suit #4 of 4: 1940's tuxedo, SIZE 36

What I'm looking to trade for: Any 1940s suit in 38R. Some moth/stitching/repairable damage OKAY.

P4038820-vi.jpg

I apologize for how 'dark' these pictures are...terrible lighting!

This suit was special for me - it marked my very first 1940's suit find! I was so excited when I found it! I really tried to make it work, but it was pretty tight on me. Honestly, I can sneak into a size 36 jacket, but the 28" pants were just too much. That being said, there is enough alterable on the pants to make it work, but the fact that I just found a dated 1939 tuxedo that fits me great means that this one is going to find a better home!

What is really cool about this suit is the fabric. It is not just a plain black gabardine - there is this really cool, really subtle striping going on:

P4038824-vi.jpg

It is hard to pick up except in the right lighting. In any case, a very nice 4x2 DB tuxedo. Has a 1939 Union tag and I'm leaning towards the first half of the years on this one. Check out the maker's tag - this is what I love about vintage clothing...it is simply beautiful. Very elegant:

P4038829-vi.jpg

I wonder what the story is behind how this Kansas-made suit made it's way to Colorado?

Condition: The suit is in EXC condtion with one caveat: there are 3 moth holes in the back of the jacket. I took a picture with light shining behind so they can be more clearly made out:

P4038833-vi.jpg

There are two close to each other down towards the bottom of the jacket, and one small hole up higher on the center back (tiny dot right inside the hangar). I feel that they are easily repairable because the cloth doesn't show them easily and they appear larger in the light than they really are. Honestly, some patches from behind to keep a white dress shirt from showing through would probably be enough to make sure they are never noticeable, but the information is here for full disclosure.

Since I just recently found another tuxedo, I'd love to trade for something other than a tuxedo, possibly from the 1940s. What do you have?

Sizing:

Jacket-

Chest - 38"
Shoulders - 18"
Waist - 36"
Sleeves - 24" + 1.5" extra
OAL - 31"

Pants-

OAL - 42 1/4" + 2 3/4" extra
Inseam - 30"
Cuff - 18"
Waist - 28" + 3" extra

See more pictures:

P4038826-vi.jpg

P4038827-vi.jpg

P4038828-vi.jpg

P4038831-vi.jpg

P4038832-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Also folks -

Because we often stumble across the poor orphans that are missing their pants, let's make sure to not leave them out either! I have plenty of 1930s-1950s jackets that don't fit me that I will also be posting up for a trade!

Let's see some of those jackets as well!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Black single breasted European suit (possibly 1930s?)

My suit size: 46 or 48 (depending on the cut/fit etc)

What I am looking to trade for: Ideally I am looking for a peaked-lapel black stroller/Stresseman with matching waistcoat. I will also consider any suits in my size up to the early 1950s.

What I have to offer: Size 40[/SIZE]

This is a European (possibly German?), two piece, black wool suit in a medium weight. It has peaked lapels and fastens with a single shank button. The buttonhole on the lapel is a fake - it is simply a piece of cotton thread.

The suit is in the style often referred to as 'Nachmitte Und Abend' (Afternoon and Evening) i.e. a suit that could be worn in the daytime but which could also be worn in the evening in place of a dinner suit. It is in very good condition and shows hardly any signs of wear. When I posted this in one of the suit threads I had replies suggesting it might date from the 1930s, however I believe the style remained popular into the 1950s and thus could be from anytime in the mid 20th century.

Jacket:
Chest: 42 inches
Shoulders: 19 inches
Sleeve (inner): 20 inches
Sleeve (outer): 26 inches
Length from bottom of collar: 30 inches

Trousers:
Waist: 33 (+ 2 inches to let out)
Inside leg: 31 inches (1 inch to let down)
Outside leg: 41 ½ inches

measurements-frontview_zpsc86a6212.jpg

fabric.jpg

front.jpg

interior.jpg

interiorback.jpg

trouserfrontdetail.jpg

trousersideview.jpg

This gives the best impression of the fabric, colour and overall condition of the suit:

trouserfrontdetailcloseup.jpg

Of course, if you don't have anything to trade in my size, but are interested in the suit, send me a PM anyway.

Cheers.

(apologies for the lousy photos, but it's not easy photographing black suits)

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
My suit size: 36-38

What I am looking for: Anything from the 1900s-40s. Moth damage does not bother me.

I know this is out of most peoples prefered date range, but I will put it up anyway...

1970s Blazer:
Chest (Pit-to-Pit): 22
Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 31
Sleeve Lenth: 24
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 19½
Largest part of the lapel: 4½

There is a large 'X' written in pen at the top of the lining. NOT noticable when worn. The fabric & lining seem to be in great condition, with very few issues, if any. More pics if needed.

C&R Label:
04212.jpg

Front of coat:
01314.jpg

Fabric:
01414.jpg

ACTWU Label
01610.jpg

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

What I am looking for: Anything from the 1900s-40s. Moth damage does not bother me.

I know this is out of most peoples prefered date range, but I will put it up anyway...

1970s Blazer:
Chest (Pit-to-Pit): 19
Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 32
Sleeve Lenth: 28
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 18
Largest part of the lapel: 5½

This one is in very good shape, with a few snags, and a small tear at the armhole liner. Has a tag inside that reads 44L

John Keith Label:
03211.jpg

Front of coat:
02610.jpg

Fabric:
02711.jpg

Label:
03311.jpg

44L Tag:
03111.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

1950s Blazer:
Chest (Pit-to-Pit): 22
Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 33
Sleeve Lenth: 25
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 18
Largest part of the lapel: 3

This one has some moth holes, which can be photographed if needed. (My camera died before I could take photos).

Middishade Label:
03612.jpg

Front of coat:
01712.jpg

Fabric:
02213.jpg

Label:
03711.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
My Suit size: 36-38

Looking for 1900-1940s garments.

Here are four 1950's sportcoats. I do have these on e-bay, but if someone is interested, I will take them down. More photos on request.

b112.jpg

Chest (Pit-to-Pit): 18
Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 29
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 17
Lining has some holes, but they do not affect the wearability

b211.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 28½
Marked as a 39R
Stains in the shoulder lining. Does not affect the wearability.

b311.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 30
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 17½
Marked as a 39L
2 small holes towards the top of the shoulder lining. Does not affect wearability.

b412.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 30½
Sleeve Lenth: 26
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 16½
Small stain on the front & sleeve, as well as some small moth holes. These do not affect wearability, and the stains may come out with a proper cleaning.

TSP13

Familiar Face
Would any one have and be willing to trade a size 36 suit?

If anyone is in possesion of a size 36 suit they are willing to sell, or trad PM me. It would be greatly appreciated. Moderators, bartenders, please let me know if this should have been posted in another thread.
-T.S.

metropd

One Too Many
I have a pristine solid navy three piece double breasted suit from the 1930's I would be willing to trade or sell. It is a size 36.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Yep, I have that tux. Do you have any items to trade? I'd love to see anything you have to offer. Feel free to post them up in that link that Two Types linked.

Thanks!

TSP13

Familiar Face
My Suit size: 36-38

Looking for 1900-1940s garment

b112.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 29
Lining has some holes, but they do not affect the wearability

b211.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 28½
Marked as a 39R
Stains in the shoulder lining. Does not affect the wearability.

b311.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 30
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 17½
Marked as a 39L
2 small holes towards the top of the shoulder lining. Does not affect wearability.

b412.jpg

Bottom of collar to hem on the back: 30½
Sleeve Lenth: 26
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back : 16½
Small stain on the front & sleeve, as well as some small moth holes. These do not affect wearability, and the stains may come out with a proper cleaning.
I have a friend who has a tough time finding good fitting 39's... he is also a 50's man... next time I see him I'll find out if he has any 38's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner