Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Suit

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
I know it's not green, but another shade that I think would make for a good suit is stone blue.
3F-29.JPG
http://www.trimfabric.com/3f-29.html

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I have a deep shade of green three-button two-piece suit (my first adult suit after my Tux). It's a lightweight herringbone wool suit that I use in the summer, probably from the 1990s, but the color is exceptional and looks almost like a "Mr. T"-era suit when worn with the right tie. I'm not sure how others feel about this, but I wear it with brown shoes like all of my suits. I've found reds, yellows, browns, and oranges to work best, granted, all of my ties are vintage and I only wear white shirts. I'm debating on wearing a deep shade of blue, however.

-Quetzal

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
East German 50's biopic "Ernst Thälmann" has an interesting greenish peak lapel SB suit (scene is New Years Eve 1933):

ET4.png

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
This is only a guess but I suspect millions of WW2 and Korea veterans swore off wearing green as soon as they got out of the army. Or, at least felt like wearing some different color for a change.

If green was not popular for men's suits in the fifties and sixties, this might have something to do with it.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
This is only a guess but I suspect millions of WW2 and Korea veterans swore off wearing green as soon as they got out of the army. Or, at least felt like wearing some different color for a change.

If green was not popular for men's suits in the fifties and sixties, this might have something to do with it.

A very interesting thought, but there were indeed green suits in the 1960s. Darrin from Bewitched worn one from time-to-time, and I have seen some one eBay. Though, green ties were not very common in that era unless if they were a dark or shiny green.

Has anybody a say on blue ties with green suits?

-Quetzal

Dane Holder

New in Town
I have a Green pinstripe early 50s mens double breasted suit tailored in the 1940s style I suppose tailored for an older gentleman ! but sadly it has a small moth bite on lapel I'd like to find an expert tailor to see if they can repair it eventually.

fashion frank

One Too Many
the return of green. you can't get much greener than this.

jacket by 'Man 1924' (not a 1924-themed brand alas, just an oddly named Italian brand):

man_1924_zpsvwtzohxm.jpg

Love that jacket and I have several green suits that I wear with a matching green Dobb's Fedora and light brown shoes to finish it all off with,I have no problem wearing green.

Nice score , All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Chris Cherry

New in Town
Yup, I would wear the flip out of any of these (minus the footerbags of course, I'm not suffering an attack of golfing). Somewhere at the back of my mind a fact rings out that human eyes can perceive more variations in shades of green than any other wavelength, if it's true then endless possibilities are waiting.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I think green is a surprisingly versatile colour. Can look out-of-place in the city, but otherwise good for anywhere else. I've got that DB green I've posted recently in British Suits, but also a 1950s/1960s green thorn-proof suit, with flecks of brown and red. It's one of my favourites and gets a lot of wear. Also a really nice 1950s Norfolk jacket in bottle-green and brown Welsh herringbone tweed, and a 1950s or 1960s Burtons Raglan sleeve overcoat, in a chunky checked green. I'd say for casual charity-shop browsing you come across more green stuff that you do others. Pre-1970 stuff that is...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy